Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Brazil

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Japan

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 7 10.8%

• Total voters
Europe will be the playing ball of other powers as well as a huge historical theme park.

I don't think so, federal Europe has potential to compete with the giants from other continents.

But the key is to create a federal Europe.

How optimistic, considering that not so long ago (20 years?) Balkan ethnicities were trying to exterminate one another, and that the animosities in certain areas seem to still be astonishingly and grotesquely high.

How optimistic, considering that not so long ago (20 years?) Balkan ethnicities were trying to exterminate one another, and that the animosities in certain areas seem to still be astonishingly and grotesquely high.

People who lived in Yugoslavia have experience life in federal state. Yugoslavia was serious country with 22,000,000 inhabitants.

Yes, the country has fallen in difficulties in eighties, and unfortunately, after communists, nationalists and separatists in each republic had come to a position of decision-making.

They won, but it was a Pyrrhic victory, because Yugoslav federation was better than today weaker mini states (ex republics in Yugoslav federation).

Yugoslav federation should have market economy and democracy (after Communist party) but not nationalism and separatism. But it was gone.

Federal Europe with over 500,000,000 people is big potential and strength, for example giants with other continents has no special advantage in abilities of human resources, or another abilities.

Euro zone is good step in that direction, but it is impossible that currency union exists without fiscal union, and much more.

Future Europe, in my humble opinion, most preferably should be federal Europe, with one currency and fiscal system, and more, with all the prerogatives of state, including banking system, different ministries (finance, economy, health, policy, defense and so on), etc.

Such Europe can be very competitive compared with others (perhaps the leader).

China for the next 30 years,

EU is at defensive stance and US sold everything to china, except military industry,

after china will be India,

when Chinese be the richest in the world, like today N americans and N Europeans, will rise India,

basic laws of anarcho-capitalism,
Industry travel were salaries are cheap and production is allowed with no pollution criteria,

People who lived in Yugoslavia have experience life in federal state. Yugoslavia was serious country with 22,000,000 inhabitants.

Yes, the country has fallen in difficulties in eighties, and unfortunately, after communists, nationalists and separatists in each republic had come to a position of decision-making.

They won, but it was a Pyrrhic victory, because Yugoslav federation was better than today weaker mini states (ex republics in Yugoslav federation).

Yugoslav federation should have market economy and democracy (after Communist party) but not nationalism and separatism. But it was gone.

Federal Europe with over 500,000,000 people is big potential and strength, for example giants with other continents has no special advantage in abilities of human resources, or another abilities.

Euro zone is good step in that direction, but it is impossible that currency union exists without fiscal union, and much more.

Future Europe, in my humble opinion, most preferably should be federal Europe, with one currency and fiscal system, and more, with all the prerogatives of state, including banking system, different ministries (finance, economy, health, policy, defense and so on), etc.

Such Europe can be very competitive compared with others (perhaps the leader).

Garrick, one of many ways to divide people into groups is to divide them into optimists and pessimists. Perhaps you're the first. Maybe I'm the latter, although I actually think I'm just a hard eyed realist.

Maybe I tend to think that way because of my own temperament, or my own life experiences, or the history of my birth area. That may well be true.

However, I think I could make a good argument based on human nature and European history and the current attitudes within many European countries that it is doubtful that Europeans will be moving beyond their national identities and interests any time soon.

Imho, Germany is the only country that totally gained from the Euro. Now, it may be suffering because of the Euro as it has tied it too tightly to other more faltering economies. Bottom line, though, just generally, Germany is out to serve German interests. France the same. Britain certainly is of two minds about the issue. Italy doesn't even know its own mind or where its interests lie.

The worse the economy becomes the more it will be every country for itself, and the economy is getting worse. Even Germany's is tanking, partly because there are consequences to the adoption of the Euro that were unforeseen. Another issue, in my opinion, is that the economic policies adopted will not get you out of a depression.

It gives me no pleasure to say these things, in fact I personally wish it were otherwise, but it's the way I see it. People, and countries, keep making the same mistakes over and over again. It almost seems as if we never learn anything.

Specifically as to Yugoslavia, I don't want to get sucked into these noxious Balkan wars. As an outsider, an outsider who, however, saw a good number of refugees from there, I think to imply that the separatists were somehow to blame for everything that happened there is absolutely not true. There is more than enough blame to go around.

Garrick, one of many ways to divide people into groups is to divide them into optimists and pessimists. Perhaps you're the first. Maybe I'm the latter, although I actually think I'm just a hard eyed realist.

Maybe I tend to think that way because of my own temperament, or my own life experiences, or the history of my birth area. That may well be true.

However, I think I could make a good argument based on human nature and European history and the current attitudes within many European countries that it is doubtful that Europeans will be moving beyond their national identities and interests any time soon.

Imho, Germany is the only country that totally gained from the Euro. Now, it may be suffering because of the Euro as it has tied it too tightly to other more faltering economies. Bottom line, though, just generally, Germany is out to serve German interests. France the same. Britain certainly is of two minds about the issue. Italy doesn't even know its own mind or where its interests lie.

The worse the economy becomes the more it will be every country for itself, and the economy is getting worse. Even Germany's is tanking, partly because there are consequences to the adoption of the Euro that were unforeseen. Another issue, in my opinion, is that the economic policies adopted will not get you out of a depression.

It gives me no pleasure to say these things, in fact I personally wish it were otherwise, but it's the way I see it. People, and countries, keep making the same mistakes over and over again. It almost seems as if we never learn anything.

Specifically as to Yugoslavia, I don't want to get sucked into these noxious Balkan wars. As an outsider, an outsider who, however, saw a good number of refugees from there, I think to imply that the separatists were somehow to blame for everything that happened there is absolutely not true. There is more than enough blame to go around.

Yes, I’m optimist, because Federal Europe is better option than state each for themselves or group of states.

Yes, you’re right, implementation will be extremely hard. It should connect and harmonize many different interests and situations and deal with high resistance and interference factors (including foreign).

But, what’s alternative. Individual states have no chance to compete with giants from other continents.

Federal Europe should be main strategic goal. Of course, the path to this goal is hard, but every small victory and small shift, make good approximation.

Some experiences of Yugoslavia. Country was strong when it had strong leadership and leaders: King Aleksandar Karadjordjevic and President Josip Broz Tito. After them the influence of central government would fall and nationalisms and separatisms were strengthened.

My humble opinion is that Federal Europe, including all ministries, agencies and services that are necessary, must have strong leadership.

This includes the establishment of position of President of Federal Europe. Although modalities this position certainly will be different from the existing in the world, Federal Europe needs this position.

Can you imagine that the people from the South to the North of Europe, and from the West to the East of Europe, elect their president. And certainly they will be able to choose someone who has leadership skills, who will be able to inspire and motivate them, give direction, demonstrating purpose and guidance.

Therefore, the role of the President of Federal Europe should not be only symbolic.

Moreover I think that the crisis that emerged in 2008 and more or less continues today was partly because of lack of appropriate leadership, in other words leadership is needed.

A monetary union and/or a custom union will perhaps make it inevitable that there will be a more complete political union, in order to make it feasible to take the political steps necessary to alleviate the regional economic disparities that tend to be aggravated by such things as a currency union and the removal of barriers to trade. That certainly seemed to be part of the reason Prussia was able to create the modern German state in the 19th century - it seems to have been as much about economic realities as military might. But, given that many Bavarians still seem to prefer seeing themselves as Bavarians rather than Germans, there's reason to think that a pan-European political entity would be more popular with politicians and economists than with the general public. That certainly seems to be the case with the EU now, and I can imagine resistance growing as political amalgamation increases, particularly in those regions that have the most to gain economically, since they're apt to be the regions that have the most to lose socially from greater political union

My vote goes to China

Mine too,

In fact, they are not just a superpower, but in many ways the world hegemon. The way they are able to mobilize their population, and marshal their resources to exact the will of their government is truly awe inspiring. These are much more tangible aspects of power, than the disorderly and fragmented nations of the West can achieve in this day, and age.

Be that as it may, I wouldn't want to live under the rule of their government. Human-life, and the individual are not valued by the Chinese communist government.

The way I see it, Europe has the potential to be the leading superpower of the world. The argument behind this is that Europe as a whole has the brain power to supersede any other country in the world. Europeans have always been at the driving seat as far as science is concerned. I don't see the competition within Eu states as a bad thing. Competition is the engine of the inventions China has made great advances as technology is concerned But so far most of their technologies are either bought or stolen. The west is mobilizing against Chinese thievery and from now and on they have to rely on their capabilities. Their practice of government subsidizing the private companies to gain an edge in international markets will have tough time to advance, since they are being watched. Its not impossible for them to be a technological powerhouse since they have bought all the worlds laboratories and have the human resources to support them. But they are also are seen as suspicious in every move by any country in the world with the exception of Africa. Europe has the reputation as culture exporter in many aspects and is received more positively from most countries. But also the advances of internet have made knowledge available for everybody so who knows how things turn around

This thread has been viewed 78337 times.

Back