• Japan

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 7 10.8%

• Total voters

Silverbackman

Reaction score
For background info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superpower

What country will become the next superpower?

Personally I think the European Union will become a single federal republic pretty soon. Europe already meets the criteria for a superpower so all they need to do is unify.

China and India come next because of their massive populations and fast growing technologies.

After that there really is no telling who will become superpower status. Russia may make a come back but they aren't improving that much compared to countries like India and China.

Brazil.......who knows. It is a pretty large country with a large population. Can't be for sure.

Japan has the second biggest overall economy in the world next to the US, but perhaps needs more land and more growth in population. But this will never happen because Japan's constitution forbids Japan to go to war except in self defense. And their population rate is dropping quite a bit (like most other developed countries). Still they could have gotten some land in Siberia, who knows. Maybe they can still buy land from Russia, a country that will do anything for money right now! And the government can award families. who have more kids. You never know.

Who do you think will become the next superpower and who will secede the next superpower after that?

My vote goes to China as they are with a lot of people and China is quite big.Let's hope nobody wants to be a superpower!! ;)

With the way globalism works, there won't be any more superpowers.
Could be a company, but more likely a congolomerate of many companies.

The EU will fall apart in civil war.
Russia will grow together with China, in an economic race like a cold war.
USA will crumble like a paper house, all it has is it's past merits (few) and it's reputation.
Japan and Korea will follow China agains't Russia, taking over all the companies in Russia (oil,gas,mines)
China will build up a middle class, unions, general social welfare.
With that welfare, complains will come, complaints about not enough work and too much illiteracy.
After a while it will fall like USA.
It's stuff that comes and goes, there's always ups and downs.
There's no telling who or what might reign in a hundred yrs.
Most likely some kind of transnational conglomerate though.

Interesting topic Silverbackman!
Silverbackman said:
Personally I think the European Union will become a single federal republic pretty soon. Europe already meets the criteria for a superpower so all they need to do is unify.
I wonder how many Europeans believe that? As a European myself, I believe it is a loooooong way off. The UK seems more likely to become the 51st state of the US than part of a unified Europe!

I tend to agree most with Yidaki.
Silverbackman said:
Europe already meets the criteria for a superpower so all they need to do is unify.
So much easier to say than to do! The countries of Europe are quite culturally separate (especially the Eastern from the Western, and the north from the south). Economically, we could be more powerful in unity, certainly; but there are strong cultural cross-currents that make true 'unity' difficult.

If I had to choose one, my vote would go to China, because their economy is growing so fast. However, they do have a lot of problems, so... it could all go more pear-shaped than it is already. And I don't have much knowledge of these issues anyway...

India I think is still behind China and Japan in this 'race'; as for Russia and Brazil, possibly in the longer term future but I think there would be some other 'superpower' before them.

I think Japan will become highly 'fashionable' in the west before too long, with us maybe adopting certain aspects in much the same way as they adopt some of ours, but I don't think it will become the 'next superpower' (if there was to be such a thing).

Tsuyoiko said:
Interesting topic Silverbackman!I wonder how many Europeans believe that? As a European myself, I believe it is a loooooong way off. The UK seems more likely to become the 51st state of the US than part of a unified Europe!

Yeah I don't see the EU becoming a 'single federal republic' for a long time, if ever. The current trend is breaking apart rather than joining together. Some kind of joint/coordinated foreign policy might be quite nice, but I don't see that happening either. As was said, even before the enlargement the other year the EU was pretty diverse, ecomomically and culturally. The EU might become an economic superpower but not likely a political one.

Tsuyoiko said:
The UK seems more likely to become the 51st state of the US than part of a unified Europe!

That would be cool! The rest of the EU, should give them rowingboats or something like this hahaha:p

KrazyKat said:
Yeah I don't see the EU becoming a 'single federal republic' for a long time, if ever. The current trend is breaking apart rather than joining together. Some kind of joint/coordinated foreign policy might be quite nice, but I don't see that happening either. As was said, even before the enlargement the other year the EU was pretty diverse, ecomomically and culturally. The EU might become an economic superpower but not likely a political one.

Well you know the United States Of America was pretty divided too. Until the civil war each state functioned more or less like a different country, the only difference being that they had to sometimes obey the federal government and no army. Actually even before the US constitution was ratified it was very close to being a bunch of nations instead of one unified nation.

India is even more diverse but they got the job done, although not completly (they couldn't unify the entire subcontinent but were close and have most lands today unified).

I think Europe might head down this path soon, maybe 50 years at max? By then China and India may become superpowers but you never know. As long as they don't admit Turkey (a country obviously not European) they will be fine.

Tsuyoiko said:
Interesting topic Silverbackman!I wonder how many Europeans believe that? As a European myself, I believe it is a loooooong way off. The UK seems more likely to become the 51st state of the US than part of a unified Europe!
I prefer to stay german/english rather than european, but I do hope ,that the USA,as we know them, will fall apart in the not to distant future.

Comparing USA with EU is impossible.
It would be like comparing Canada with Asia.
East coast vs West coast atleast generally speaks american english.
But there's no relation between Finnish and Turkish people whatsoever.
And that's not a bad thing, every culture has it's angle.
There's no point in trying to make everyone the same.
People will always be different.
And that's not a bad thing, diversity is good. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
moffeltoff said:
I prefer to stay german/english rather than european, but I do hope ,that the USA,as we know them, will fall apart in the not to distant future.

May I ask why? Wouldn't that cause suffering for a lot of people in the US and around the world because of economic effects?

Silverbackman said:
India is even more diverse but they got the job done, although not completly (they couldn't unify the entire subcontinent but were close and have most lands today unified).

I'm afraid you can't draw a parallel with the Indian subcontinent here. They started off with a general unity in the first place, under the Bristish, without idependant states within living memory. At Independance, apart from a few princley states, India was already one country, so it is more a matter of not breaking apart than building anything like the EU. Also remember that Pakistan did break apart, the reverse of what you are using them as an example of. Of course I won't deny that India has done well at keeping internal stability when compared to the ethnic confilitcts in some (most) of the African former colonies.

Also to say 'most lands today unified' is a bit of a stretch don't you think? Pakistan and Bangladesh can't just be overlooked like that, although you can have Ceylon and Nepal.

I have been thinking China for a few years now. It just seems they're getting more and more powerful economically. Not to mention all the manpower they have. I just get a feeling they're up to something big.

I've been thinking China. They have a big military and it seems that they are growing faster than ever. I can't see europe unifying. That's just me. I don't think a lot of countries would go for that. Because, if one country goes to war, then wouldn't they all have to? Just asking, I don't think some countries would like that. Like France.

China or India. They both have nuclear weapons, but China seems to be economically growing faster than any other countries and it's moving towards that way already.

yidaki said:
Comparing USA with EU is impossible.
It would be like comparing Canada with Asia.
East coast vs West coast atleast generally speaks american english.
But there's no relation between Finnish and Turkish people whatsoever.
And that's not a bad thing, every culture has it's angle.
There's no point in trying to make everyone the same.
People will always be different.
And that's not a bad thing, diversity is good. :)

Funny, all the skeptical talk for EU unification comes from countries that shy away. Did you u know that vikings came all the way down to the balkans in the 7th century AD? They mixed there with local populations, that could be a link. Have you ever been to Turkey before? Do you know turkish and finish culture so well that you can make such a statement. For one both turks and finns had great spirit in defending their nation, the finns in ww2 against russia, the turks after ww1 preventing the break up of their territory from western powers.

Furthermore why are people associating a lack of diversity with the EU when the EU is promoting diversity and local governance control.

BTW in case you all didn't know the the European Union?fs $10.5 trillion GDP now eclipses the United States?f, making it the largest economy in the world. The EU is already the world?fs leading exporter and largest internal trading market.

I think it should be about time that sweden and countries alike stop talkin about "evil" globalization and incompatability within europe and start adopting the euro. Alone out there in scandinavia it can surely get cold. This euro skepticism is holding back the infinite possibilities that a unified europe has.

moffeltoff said:

It's funny that 100 years ago or so the concept of "german" didn't exist cuz there was no germany... and what about the 50 or so year split between east and west germany? I'd say german identity is rather amibigious.. much like the italian one which also was formed from smaller provinces into one.

Silverbackman said:
As long as they don't admit Turkey (a country obviously not European) they will be fine.

Can you please elaborate on why that is? How do you know turkey isn't a european country? This seems to be the popular yet sorry to say ignorant thought out there...

yidaki said:
With the way globalism works, there won't be any more superpowers.
Could be a company, but more likely a congolomerate of many companies.
The EU will fall apart in civil war.
Russia will grow together with China, in an economic race like a cold war.
USA will crumble like a paper house, all it has is it's past merits (few) and it's reputation.
Japan and Korea will follow China agains't Russia, taking over all the companies in Russia (oil,gas,mines)
China will build up a middle class, unions, general social welfare.
With that welfare, complains will come, complaints about not enough work and too much illiteracy.
After a while it will fall like USA.
It's stuff that comes and goes, there's always ups and downs.
There's no telling who or what might reign in a hundred yrs.
Most likely some kind of transnational conglomerate though.

and through the ashes of this world order melt down IKEA will rise like the phoenix and provide free do it yourself furniture for a better future :eek:kashii:

This thread has been viewed 78414 times.

Back