Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

View Poll Results: What kind of cheese do you like to put on your pasta ?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grated parmesan

24 64.86%
  • Cut/sliced pieces of parmesan in block

5 13.51%
  • Grated Emmental or Gruyere

5 13.51%
  • Grated mozzarella

4 10.81%
  • Other kind of cheese

6 16.22%
  • I don't put cheese on my pasta (or don't eat pasta)

5 13.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of cheese do you like to put on your pasta ?

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Smile What kind of cheese do you like to put on your pasta ?

Italians put parmesan, and most people in the world follow suit. In Belgium, it's more usual to put grated Emmental or Gruyere instead. In Japan, mozzarella was the most common grated pasta/pizza cheese (and cheapest) in supermarkets. Parmesan can come pre-grated or in block to cut or slice yourself.

Which you do you like best ?
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Where I'm Supposed to Be kirei_na_me's Avatar

Ethnic group
    caucasian(Swiss/English/Native American)

I always buy a block of parmesan cheese and grate it on my pasta. I love it.

Cheese is one of my favorite foods. Gruyere is, by far, my favorite cheese. I always have a block of it in my refrigerator. I think I'll grate it on my pasta next time!

Good thread, Maciamo. I love my cheese!
    You have bewitched me, body and soul...

Ethnic group
    Asian

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    In Belgium, it's more usual to put grated Emmental or Gruyere instead.
    Interesting. I think the Swiss cheese I get on my sandwiches is Emmental because it's got holes on it. It's really good with a salami sandwich.

I like using sharp chedder, which is cheap and widely available in the US, for casserole and baked pasta. For the dishes like carbonara, chicken parm, scampi etc, I grate lots of parmesean.
    Last edited by misa.j; 17-03-06 at 04:37.
    ~How could you eat your pudding if you don't eat your meat?!~

Where I'm Supposed to Be kirei_na_me's Avatar

Ethnic group
    caucasian(Swiss/English/Native American)

Ah, Spaghetti Carbonara...one of my favorites!

I like Parmesan on my pasta, havent yet found where to buy fresh stuff yet...(well, you know, not in a container...), and I really really really love BLUE cheese (Kikorangi blue, a NZ blue), and have been known to put that in my pasta... usually when nobody else is eating it.

Kara-Nari Smarty-Pants Wiz-Girl of the Southern Pacific Queen of Communication and International Arbitration and Diplomatic Solutions to Hairy Territorial Issues Her Majesty the Empress コクネ・ you quite rightly deserve the title for your individuality !

Ethnic group
    Chinese/Japanese American

Nacho cheese! Delicious! (j/k)

I'm a huge fan of freshly grated parmesean on pasta. I like the block-sliced parmesean better on things like caesar salads. Whatever kind of cheese it is, though, I like a LOT of it. :) That's probably why I end up getting baked pasta more often than not.
    Go Trojans

Ethnic group
    African American

I like grated parmesean cheese on almost all of my pastas. I'll eat it with spaghetti, lasagna, and fetticini with marinara sauce. And I eat it with pizza, cheese to be exact.
    “All right then, I’ll go to hell”―and tore it up. It was awful thoughts and awful words, but they was said. And I let them stay said; and never thought no more about reforming.
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

Hmm, I am kind of weird when it comes to cheese.

I Hate cheese, but when it comes to Pizza, or Nachos, I love it. I guess it has to be melted. I can't eat cheese freshly cut or in slices, I tend to gag. But I do like parmesean on my spaghetti. Tis gude.

Cheese on pasta? Yuck!

I prefer cheese (I like almost all sorts, just not what Germans call Kochkäse) on bread.

I put mozzarella or cheddar on pasta. I also like tortellini pasta stuffed with ricotta cheese. One of my favourite quick lunches is to cook some dry pasta, toss it in some olive oil, oregano and black pepper, then crumble some mature cheddar cheese on top. Yum, yum.

Ethnic group
    Chinese

Gruyere here when I'm not making different cheese sauces.
    In the UK I'm using cheedar though :P
    One of the most adventurous things left for us is to go to bed. For no one can lay a hand on our dreams....

Hmm, there's few cheeses (that I've had anyway) that I don't like--although being poor somewhat limits my access to the more refined cheeses.

For instance, I don't think I ever heard of Emmental or Gruyere cheese--though I may have had some without knowing it was called that.

(I've started doing personal security work for some local artists on the side, and one of the benifits of the job is the cheeses and other catered foods usually present at an art opening--I stay away from the wines when on-duty though. )

At any rate, I usually use grated parmesian, mozzerella, riccotta, or just cottage cheese on a can of ravioli or cheddar and macaroni if I'm feeling "ghetto". (or if my pocketbook is )

I also love a good alfredo sauce.

I actually don't make pasta very often--and when I do it's usually just buttered noodles as a quick snack--so usually if I'm having pasta it's at a resteraunt.
    Baka ningen.

Ethnic group
    French/Irish

Cheese! I am a cheese nut and just love all kinds of cheese especially on pasta. I also like cheese fondu and cheese and black olives with red wine.

At my age I had to start taking alot of fiber before and after I eat cheese else I will feel it in the morning. I have found Chitosan (made from shell fish and the best fiber known) to be the best for getting cheese through the system and not letting the fat get into your system.

Before I discovered Chitosan I thought I would have to give up cheese as it was doing terrible things to my bowls and intestines giving me terrible cramps the next day. Today I can eat as much cheese as I desire as long as I take the Chitosan fiber suppliments and the weight gain is not there as in the past. Check out the link.
    Do What You Love And You'll Never Work Another Day In Your Life!

Pink Lady's Number 1 Fan! Flashjeff's Avatar

Ethnic group
    African-American

Count me in for grated parmesean. Yum! But I'm too lazy to grate it myself, so I buy the pre-grated variety from the supermarket! Heh!
    "It's better to try and fail than to never try at all."
    -Jeffrey C. Branch, crackpot philosopher

I dislike cheese if it's not on a pizza.

Parmesan is a bit expensive so I usually use cheddar.

Anybody here tried Philippine-style spaghetti? The flavor really goes well with cheddar.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I am human
    MtDNA haplogroup
    I am human

Ethnic group
    Asian

Interesting. I think the Swiss cheese I get on my sandwiches is Emmental because it's got holes on it. It's really good with a salami sandwich.
    I like using sharp chedder, which is cheap and widely available in the US, for casserole and baked pasta. For the dishes like carbonara, chicken parm, scampi etc, I grate lots of parmesean.
    Emmental cheese doesn't necessarily have holes in it. Emmental is the cheese of two countries, France and Switzerland. Not all Swiss cheese that has holes in is Emmental.

Italians put parmesan, and most people in the world follow suit. In Belgium, it's more usual to put grated Emmental or Gruyere instead. In Japan, mozzarella was the most common grated pasta/pizza cheese (and cheapest) in supermarkets. Parmesan can come pre-grated or in block to cut or slice yourself.
    Which you do you like best ?
    I use Parmesan cheese on my pasta, I am not certain whether all French do this but from all the Italian restaurants I have been to in France they always give us parmesan to put on top of our pastas. My husband's family only uses Parmesan cheese on their pastas. My ex Swiss boyfriend also only uses Parmesan on his pastas and he considers other cheese on pasta strange.

Freshly grated ones taste better than the powdered ones but because of convenience purposes we often use the powdered ones.

I am pretty sure in Australia most people use Parmesan cheese on their pastas; I always received my pastas with Parmesans when I dine out in restaurants in Australia.
    Last edited by Minty; 06-06-06 at 22:51.

Ethnic group
    Albanian

Well...aside parmesan, which is damm good.. at times ill eat some past with white feta cheese as well. Is not a traditional thing or anything...is jsut a habit i piked up from my mom. White balkan style cheese, in my opinion, is perhaps the best kind. Althought i don't see it so compatible with pasta.

Cheese? well, I guess I'll have to go for mozzarella....and even "queso asadero" sort of like string cheese.

Regular Member Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic

I love all kinds of cheese. My favorites are aged goat's cheese from the French Pyrenees and a sheep's cheese called Serra, from Serra da Estrela in central Portugal. My least favorite cheese is feta. I only like it in salads.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

I use grated parmesan cheese often. That, and crushed pepper. However, not on every dish.

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

With tomato sauce: parmasean, mozzarella, and ricotta!
    Without: Any combination of melted cheddar, mozzarella, or pepper jack, as well as grated parmasean!

There was a macaroni and cheese area where I used to work, you can put anything on your macaroni and cheese, it was the best!

This shouldn't be much of a surprise to most members here who know I'm a human mouse
    mmmmmmmmm dooouuughhhnuuuutz

Ethnic group
    Ashkenazi Jewish

Primarily mac and cheese with cheddar.
    Mozzarella is my favorite cheese, and I make Chicken Parmesan and baked ziti, often.

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Cambrius (The Red) View Post
    I love all kinds of cheese. My favorites are aged goat's cheese from the French Pyrenees and a sheep's cheese called Serra, from Serra da Estrela in central Portugal. My least favorite cheese is feta. I only like it in salads.
    As you say, it depends on the dish. With a putanesca, if I put any cheese I'd put grated pecorino. If it's a meat sauce, I'd put grated parmigiano.

I think Americans have gotten it into their heads that they should put parmigiano on everything. That's not how it is in Italy.

We use a lot of our own grated pecorino toscano where I come from ( although my Emilian grandmother only used parmigiano, for obvious reasons), especially for fillings for vegetables and pasta: it gives a nice piquant note to the finished product.

One of my favorite pasta dishes ever is the Roman cacio e pepe, which is basically just grated pecorino romano and pepper. Yum, yum. :) (Don't put too much salt in the pasta water, because the pecorino is very salty.)

This Italian chef uses a different technique and adds a few spoonfuls of parmigiano for sweetness (to cut the too strong saltiness of some pecorino) and some grated lemon rind. Not traditional, and not the way I like it, but an option.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilkk...p8n4jRUavbzPAM

I also usually put grated pecorino on most southern Italian sauces.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchティ qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignitテ. Oriana Fallaci

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L21 (R-DF13)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1 (H1h1) or (H1e1)

Ethnic group
    Spanish

None really but if it's a true formaggio I will take it and eat it. Not mac and cheese pls or any american cheese (there cheese sucks)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast