What kind of cheese do you like to put on your pasta ?

What kind of cheese do you like to put on your pasta ?

• Total voters
Jovialis, you spent 28.99 on that puny thing?? It had better be worth it! Besides, that's the weirdest looking Corona beer/Smirnoff vodka bottle I've ever seen! Wait a minute, that's one a dem wahn bawtles :D.

Lol kidding aside (just messing with you, Jovialis), beer also goes great with Italian food, but this is based on my own personal experience with having beer with pizza. I recommend Corona, you'll thank me later !

Angela, wow, I never knew you could combine ricotta with fruit, I should try that though I'm not a fruit person. I don't have much of a taste for fruits and veggies, but I think I should get one for the sake of eating healthier. I'm big into pasta, cheese, and tender meats (flank beef cuts are what dentists should make their patients eat to extract teeth :) , I swear you need teeth like a lion to bite into those boulders).

I love all kind of cheese, but on my pasta I still prefer parmesan, just gives it that "pasta" taste.

I love all cheese but tend to top almost all pastas with Parmesan. I am a big fan of Greek style “spaghetti” with Romano and butter

The truth is that I and my father love pasta, but not my mother too much. The pasta arrived in Spain quite late, at least to the tables of the popular homes, as much as the noodles in the soup existed. Macaroni or spaghetti with tomato almost once a week, almost always without cheese, but when I use cheese is cured cheese or also called manchego cheese.

Only parmesan!
#onelove

With a lot of pasta dishes I agree, but a good number of Italian pasta dishes, especially from the south, used percorino romano, which has more "bite" or sharpness. It's perfect for some pasta dishes.

Where I was born we're not far from where Parmigiano Reggiano is made so we use a lot of it, but we also have very good Tuscan percorino cheese. For fillings and things like that we mix the two. It gives the filling more "taste" or punch. When I make my Neapolitan grandmother in laws Sunday sauce we always used grated pecorino. That was how it was originally made in Italy and I still think it tastes the best.

Just whatever you do don't buy grated cheese in a bottle or can. Buy a piece and freshly grate it; it makes a world of difference to the result.

Emmental or gruy?re, because that's how most people have their pasta in France and I've grown up that way - though now I mostly use grated goat cheese. And always raw, please! Pasteurized cheese is no cheese at all.I like parmesan, I just don't think of using it. I love gorgonzola and mascarpone, as well as the mixture of both - I think it's called gorgonzola e mascarpone in Italy. In France we call it "magor".

Emmental or gruy�re, because that's how most people have their pasta in France and I've grown up that way - though now I mostly use grated goat cheese. And always raw, please! Pasteurized cheese is no cheese at all.I like parmesan, I just don't think of using it. I love gorgonzola and mascarpone, as well as the mixture of both - I think it's called gorgonzola e mascarpone in Italy. In France we call it "magor".

Emmental or gruyere mixed with tomato sauce and put on pasta? Really? They don't really think that's Italian pasta do they?

Sorry. I don't want to sound rude, but I can't even imagine it. Not that I don't like both cheeses, because I do.

Anyway, if anyone wants to know how to make Southern Italian pasta dishes, or any Southern Italian dishes, for that matter, you can go to youtube and look up "Laura in the Kitchen-Italian recipes". They're basic, not necessarily exactly how I make even the southern ones, but they're good, especially for people who aren't used to cooking "Italian". She also has recipes for lots of "American" food. Lovely young woman; she gives me hope for the future. :)
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Laura+Vitale-Italian+recipes

Another one is this sweet old Italian-American grandmother whose son in law videos her making Southern Italian-American classics. She's adorable.

Here, for example, she shows how to make baked ziti, or pasta al forno in Italian. It's approximately my Neapolitan grandmother in laws recipe except she never put peas or hard boiled eggs and neither do I. Baked peas have no taste and I see no point in mucking it up with hard boiled eggs. The recipe amounts are below the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnyNZM1X73w

Be advised she has "Americanized" some recipes. There is absolutely no "Fettuccini Alfredo" like that in Italy where you dump in cream.

Emmental or gruyere mixed with tomato sauce and put on pasta? Really? They don't really think that's Italian pasta do they?

Sorry. I don't want to sound rude, but I can't even imagine it. Not that I don't like both cheeses, because I do.

I can imagine it very well ;) It's a regular, popular dish in France, it's not haute cuisine and it doesn't claim to be Italian, or maybe just remotely. It's just the stuff you cook for a quick meal when you don't have much time. Kids love it. No we don't call that Italian pasta, just p?tes au fromage/gruy?re (with or without tomato sauce, and often with butter), or gratin de macaroni.

NB: The Gratin de macaroni is a bit more elaborate - it's a proper recipe in France, made with cream, gruy?re or emmental, olive oil, a bit of garlic and a pinch of nutmeg. Very nice!

362550-5839864485.jpg

Home made pasta with fresh tomato sauce and Pecorino, Primitivo del Salento, and Pizzo (Bread baked with black olives, onion and tomato) 👍

OhFMTMm.jpg

verZALZ.jpg

Q4a3Etb.jpg

E3MAPGv.jpg

Discovered in Salento: Roman Era HUGE Wine container (Dolia) and amphorae

2000 years later we use Gas Station style Wine Station LOL

Jid7zY1.jpg

I can imagine it very well ;) It's a regular, popular dish in France, it's not haute cuisine and it doesn't claim to be Italian, or maybe just remotely. It's just the stuff you cook for a quick meal when you don't have much time. Kids love it. No we don't call that Italian pasta, just p�tes au fromage/gruy�re (with or without tomato sauce, and often with butter), or gratin de macaroni.

NB: The Gratin de macaroni is a bit more elaborate - it's a proper recipe in France, made with cream, gruy�re or emmental, olive oil, a bit of garlic and a pinch of nutmeg. Very nice!

362550-5839864485.jpg

Now, I get it. :) Yummy.

That gratin de macaroni looks absolutely delicious. We add nutmeg to creamy, cheesy sauces too. I'm going to look for a recipe.

Here's the translation of a recipe I found online (automatic translator). There are probably variations:

250 g macaroni
150 g Gruy?re or Emmental cheese
40 cl of liquid cream (preferably heavy cream)
2 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Salt, pepper

Boil a large pot of salted water. Plunge the macaroni in it. Mix well and, when boiling again, cook for the time indicated on the pasta package. In the meantime....

Preparation of the scented cream: peel the garlic cloves and squeeze them (using a garlic press or chop them finely). In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. When hot, add garlic and saut? while stirring for 1 to 2 minutes. The garlic must not be coloured. Add the cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Add 2/3 of the grated cheese and let it melt, while stirring.

Once the macaroni are "al dente", drain them. Pour the macaroni into the garlic and Gruy?re cream. Mix well and let cool for about half an hour (the pasta will absorb the sauce) or cover the dish with cling film before continuing the recipe.

To finish up…

Before tasting.... When the sauce is well absorbed, preheat the oven to 240?C (thermostat 8) for at least 10 minutes. Butter a large gratin dish and pour the pasta and sauce into it. Cover with the remaining grated cheese and bake for 5 minutes.

Here's the translation of a recipe I found online (automatic translator). There are probably variations:

250 g macaroni
150 g Gruy�re or Emmental cheese
40 cl of liquid cream (preferably heavy cream)
2 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Salt, pepper

Boil a large pot of salted water. Plunge the macaroni in it. Mix well and, when boiling again, cook for the time indicated on the pasta package. In the meantime....

Preparation of the scented cream: peel the garlic cloves and squeeze them (using a garlic press or chop them finely). In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. When hot, add garlic and saut� while stirring for 1 to 2 minutes. The garlic must not be coloured. Add the cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Add 2/3 of the grated cheese and let it melt, while stirring.

Once the macaroni are "al dente", drain them. Pour the macaroni into the garlic and Gruy�re cream. Mix well and let cool for about half an hour (the pasta will absorb the sauce) or cover the dish with cling film before continuing the recipe.

To finish up…

Before tasting.... When the sauce is well absorbed, preheat the oven to 240�C (thermostat 8) for at least 10 minutes. Butter a large gratin dish and pour the pasta and sauce into it. Cover with the remaining grated cheese and bake for 5 minutes.

Thanks, Tardis! I'm definitely making this. :)

Generally the “Base Sauce” of all Gratinati is Beciamella (NO Cream), I Think.

If you bake use beciamella, if not (stove top) use cream.

Generally the “Base Sauce” of all Gratinati is Beciamella (NO Cream), I Think.

If you bake use beciamella, if not (stove top) use cream.

That's the Italian take on it.

My father's mother (Emilian from the Apennines) made a lot of "stove top" cream sauces. Of course, there were more cows than people there. :) I'm not really crazy about most of them because they're usually quite bland. I do like tagliolini con crema di tartufo, or even just wild mushrooms.

I'm not a fan at all of the far northern Italian cream sauces with ham and peas and things like that.

That's the Italian take on it.

My father's mother (Emilian from the Apennines) made a lot of "stove top" cream sauces. Of course, there were more cows than people there. :) I'm not really crazy about most of them because they're usually quite bland. I do like tagliolini con crema di tartufo, or even just wild mushrooms.

I'm not a fan at all of the far northern Italian cream sauces with ham and peas and things like that.

I saw a Chef making Pappardelle with a mix-mushrooms sauce with cream for a wedding, he cooked the Sauce at very low heat for hours (huge pot and never ending stirring). It was very good :)

I saw a Chef making Pappardelle with a mix-mushrooms sauce with cream for a wedding, he cooked the Sauce at very low heat for hours (huge pot and never ending stirring). It was very good :)

This is the way we make it. We put it on gnocchi, and, of course, polenta! :)
ZSzBpH1.png

I never order something like this in restaurants here in America, not even Italian ones. They never got the concept that "sauce", of whatever kind, is supposed to "dress" pasta, not drown it.

It's not that I don't like "white" pastas, because I do. I love them.

Salsa di noci:
Liguria_Salsa_di_Noci_5.jpg

Ravioli with butter and sage:

ravioli%20sage%20butter.jpg

Parmesan. Sheep cheese is good aswell. Mozzarella would be the best but lactose intollerance makes it too painful.

Beyond individual taste, much depends on the type of recipe and how much you want to be faithful to traditions. In my home, for recipes with puff pastry, tagliatelle, cappelletti or passatelli in broth and obviously for risottos, Parmesan (or Grana Padano in second choice) is a must.
For other recipes, however, Parmesan or Grana may not be suitable (or not sufficient on their own). For example, the "pizzoccheri" of Valtellina, which are a specialty from northern Lombardy (boiled buckwheat scraps, then cooked and seasoned with garlic, butter, cabbage and potatoes) require a creaming with Parmesan cheese but mostly from Casera, a semi-fat cheese typical of the valley, semi-cooked and semi-hard, of cow's milk. (It is also used for the "sciatt" dough, precisely small balls of Casera cheese battered with 00 flour and again with buckwheat, then fried in a pan.)
If you cross the northern Apennines, as you go through central Italy, especially in the interior of Tuscany, Marche, Umbria and Lazio, Grana and Parmigiano progressively give way to Pecorino cheese (of which there are a thousand variations, more or less seasoned, more or less tasty and spicy) which is actually required to cook decently pasta recipes like Carbonara, Gricia, Amatriciana.
There are also first courses that may require less obvious combinations, but very successful. The so-called "smoke and champagne" risotto was conceived probably about 50 years ago in Milan by chef Pino Capogna and was made known to the public by Ugo Tognazzi in his famous book. It combines northern and southern culinary traditions: in fact it's a parmesan risotto, simmered with champagne (or more modest sparkling wine / brut), in whose creaming, in addition to the Parmesan cheese, there must be some diced smoked Provola, a small milk cheese vaccine, of spun paste exposed to the smoke of straw, which is a dairy specialty originating from Campania :)

This thread has been viewed 40735 times.

Back