Do you eat meat or follow any codes/ways of diet?

Please answer the options honestly :) .

• I eat meat all the time! Almost every day or two!

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • I eat meat a lot, probably at least once or twice a week.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I eat meat occasionally, maybe once every 2 weeks or more.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I eat meat rarely (i.e. once a month or less)

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I hardly ever eat meat (only a couple of times a year or less)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don?ft eat meat at all.

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I am a flexitarian/semi-vegetarian.

• I am a pescatarian.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian.

• I am a lacto vegetarian.

• I am a vegan.

• I am a fruitarian.

• I follow/have a macrobiotic diet.

• I follow/have a Raw or Living Food Diet.

• I am trying to change/improve my diet currently.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I am satisfied/happy with my diet currently.

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • I chose my way of diet due to health/personal reasons.

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • I chose my way of diet due to reasons concerning morality.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I chose my way of diet due to religious reasons.

• Other?c

• Total voters
I love meat and eat it all the time in almost ever meal (except most breakfasts). There is nothing wrong with eating meat as we are an omnivorous species. However I do agree that if too much meat is taken without moderation it can potentially be bad for your health.

Another concern about eating meat is the concern about the animal being pumped with steroids or other harmful chemicals. However as we all know vegetables from the market would be subject to the same chemical treatment regardless.

Meat is important to our diet regardless. Most evolutionary biologists and anthropologist agree that meat is what made us evolve big brains. Meat is brain food and can be highly nutritious.

My only real code of diet is: "If it doesn't taste good, don't eat it again."

I don't really have the money to eat as healthily as I'd like--subsisting primarily on instant ramens--but I try to boost that up with meat and vegetables as much as possible.

A major risk that anyone considering a vegitarian diet should be aware of, is vitamin B-12 deficiency. While proteins, iron, and other nutrients found in meat can often be obtained from plants as well, just about the only viable source for B-12 other than meat is seaweed.

I found this out after a medicine I was taking caused a condition where my body could not absorb B-12 from the food I ate. I developed a severe B-12 deficiency, and the first thing my doctor asked me after seeing the results of te blood test was: "Are you vegitarian?"

Since my response was shocked silence while I tried to wrap my brain around the idea of anyone mistaking me for a vegitarian, the doctor explained to me that B-12 deficiency is very common amoung vegitarians because it is primarily found only in animal products.

In case you're wondering vitamin B-12 does, it is a critical nutrient required by the brain, and B-12 deficiency can cause severe impairment to cognitive funtions--most noticably to memory.

I actually have permanent damage to my short term memory from my exteneded battle with B-12 deficiency, and would suggest that anyone pursuing a diet that requires them to cut out something their bodies are intended to eat be very careful not to remove any vital nutrients from their diet in the process.

I agree with Reiku, although in some respects a vegetarian diet can be very healthy, its only good for you if you know your RDA(recommended daily amount) of various vitamins, minerals and fats etc and you know which foods to obtain these things from. Human beings were not evolved to thrive on a vegetarian diet, many things in our body point to this from our stomaches, our teeth, our eyes etc- so if you want to go vegetarian for whatever reasons you need to find ways of keeping a fulfilling nutritional diet without the foods you'd usually be advised to eat like fish, red & white meat, eggs, dairy products etc.
There are many B vitamins, B12 is not the most vital or important one but is still just as important as any other B vitamin- this link has an interesting report on B12 and the dangers of not getting enough of it and so forth;

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/html/ds/dsVitaminB12.php

Eat a fulfilling diet everyone :cool: !

Reiku said:
A major risk that anyone considering a vegitarian diet should be aware of, is vitamin B-12 deficiency. While proteins, iron, and other nutrients found in meat can often be obtained from plants as well, just about the only viable source for B-12 other than meat is seaweed.

Actually, vegetarians don't have a problem with B12 because its found in dairy products (milk yogurt etc), its vegans who have to watch out for it.
B12 is found in other non-animal products apart from seaweed, notably marmite and soymilk.

By the way, do you have marmite over there in the US? I have a feeling that you don't, but then you would all be missing out. :)

Well, we have just about everything here, food wise--one of the advantages of being a mongrel culture--but some things you have to look for. I'm not familliar with marmite, so I'd guess it's one of those things you have to look for.

Also, I really think the whole vegitarian/vegan thing is a bit stupid. "Vegitarian" means you only eat plants--but for some reason a large number of hippie-minded humans decided to try it and couldn't commit, so now we call true vegitarians "vegans" and those that still consume dairy products are "vegitarians"?

I hate being from a country that isn't fluent with it's primary language. :rolleyes:

Reiku said:
Also, I really think the whole vegitarian/vegan thing is a bit stupid.
lol. I guess the Dalai Lama and A. Einstein are/were stupid, too, then. I prefer their company and opinion on the matter.
"Vegitarian" means you only eat plants--but for some reason a large number of hippie-minded humans decided to try it and couldn't commit, so now we call true vegitarians "vegans" and those that still consume dairy products are "vegitarians"?
The hippie subculture is virtually gone. I can`t remember the last time I have seen a psychodelic mini van driving around with long haired guitar playing people. The term now is used pajoratively and without any accuracy. Get with the times and your arguments, too, will benefit!

But perhaps people do consider the Dalai Lama and Einstein hippies. After all, the former seems to not have a real job, and the latter did have kind of long freaky hair.
lol. <snicker>

Last edited by a moderator:
strongvoicesforward said:
lol. I guess the Dalai Lama and A. Einstein are/were stupid, too, then. I prefer their company and opinion on the matter.
The statement above is in response to a totally unfair misquoting of Reiku. Going back to Reiku's post, that can be clearly seen. Reiku was not calling vegetarians stupid - he was referring to the terminology. Sorry to speak for you Reiku, but I wanted to point that out straightaway.
Reiku said:
Also, I really think the whole vegitarian/vegan thing is a bit stupid. "Vegitarian" means you only eat plants--but for some reason a large number of hippie-minded humans decided to try it and couldn't commit, so now we call true vegitarians "vegans" and those that still consume dairy products are "vegitarians"?
I agree Reiku, logically speaking a vegetarian is someone who only eats plants. But if you look at the etymology of the word 'vegetarian' it has always included dairy products. So, it didn't happen in the way you describe. The term 'vegetarian' dates from at least 1839, and as can be seen from the history of The Vegetarian Society, it originally meant 'abstinence from eating flesh'. Originally, vegans were called 'non-dairy vegetarians'.

Strongvoicesforward said:
Originally Posted by strongvoicesforward:

Tsuyoiko said:
The statement above is in response to a totally unfair misquoting of Reiku.

I disagree.

He clearly said "the wholevegetarian/vegan thing is stupid." I am going by what I am reading, and if he meant what you think he means then I think a clearer way to have written it would not have been in the all inclusive manner in which he unmistakably wrote it in. If the meaning for what you think it is was meant, how hard would it have been to write, "I think the use of the words vegetarian/vegan is stupid." That is clearly qualified and exclusive in scope. Now, if that is what he meant, then I will accept that. But, I am not clairvoyant and I am not into guessing at what people really mean when the qualify things with extreme and exclusive terminology (i.e. "the whole").

Reiku said:

He further clouds the meaning (innacurate may I add) by referring to a cultural subgroup (i.e. the hippie) as being responsible for the confusion in terminology. You may want to resurrect his passage, Tsuyoiko by explaining it, but it is a passage made with error and lack of clarity. Maybe Reiku himself would like to say, "Vegetarians/Vegans, and the practice of these dietary habits are not stupid." I would welcome that statement from him for the clarity that it is and that would go to mitigate his extremen and absolutist statement above.

Going back to Reiku's post, that can be clearly seen. Reiku was not calling vegetarians stupid - he was referring to the terminology.

I disagree. But, I am sure some others may pile on with you.

I guess we have to wait to hear from Reiku - but I think it would have been fairer to quote his statement in full.

Tsuyoiko said:
I guess we have to wait to hear from Reiku - but I think it would have been fairer to quote his statement in full.

Even in its full form it is still unclear. In fact, his following sentences after the first one in that paragraph does nothing to take away from his absolutist statement on the matter because his error in referring to hippies is in itself wrong -- for hippies were not responsible (or I have never seen any studies saying they were) for the mix up in terminology of vegetarianism and veganism.

I don`t mind if he comes back and makes a revision. Fine. But what I said regarding that sentence and para of his was in no way unfair.

No arguing, man. Let's just go hug a tree and, like, be cool man. Just remember the mantra
"We sow the seed. Nature grows the seed and we eat the seed, but then. This is the cool bit. We sow the seed. NATURE grows the seed and the WE eat the seed" (With apologies to Nigel Planer)

I love marmite, especially with cheese.

I eat what's put on the table, and usually that includes some sort of chicken, pork, or fish. The red meat and chicken I could do without, but I don't like the idea of giving up my pacific saury, salmon, and mackeral.

I thought the Dalai Lama preferred vegetarian, but understanding that meat was easier to put on the table than vegatarian food in Dharmasala, he would eat whatever meat was put before him.

Revenant said:
I thought the Dalai Lama preferred vegetarian, but understanding that meat was easier to put on the table than vegatarian food in Dharmasala, he would eat whatever meat was put before him.

Hi Revenant,

As for the Dalai Lama on him being a vegetarian, look at a few of his quotes HERE.

At that time (1960s) he attempted to become vegetarian, but after contracting Hepititas, he was ordered by his doctors to eat meat again. There is something else mentioned of Tibet not being conducive to growing vegetables that he cited (I read that somewhere), but that the Tibetan practice is much like the Native American practice, and they take no more than what they need. Apparently he became vegetarian once again at the age of seventy.

Revenant said:
Apparently he became vegetarian once again at the age of seventy.

Yes, and that is what he IS now, and he clearly relates that animal suffering is a part of that decision -- if not the main reason for doing so. Sometimes it may take years to become solid and strong on choices we know that are right. He is a human like all of us. Dithering and back sliding for various reasons affects us all.

The current and most latest decisions that we make and live by are what define us for our beliefs as to what we believe -- not past ones in the face of current ones.

Tsuyoiko said:
The statement above is in response to a totally unfair misquoting of Reiku. Going back to Reiku's post, that can be clearly seen. Reiku was not calling vegetarians stupid - he was referring to the terminology. Sorry to speak for you Reiku, but I wanted to point that out straightaway.I agree Reiku, logically speaking a vegetarian is someone who only eats plants. But if you look at the etymology of the word 'vegetarian' it has always included dairy products. So, it didn't happen in the way you describe. The term 'vegetarian' dates from at least 1839, and as can be seen from the history of The Vegetarian Society, it originally meant 'abstinence from eating flesh'. Originally, vegans were called 'non-dairy vegetarians'.

Actually, I was refering to the use of the word "vegitarian" as it is used to describe the diets of various animal species, as I'm fairly certain this use came first.

The term "vegitarian" refers to a diet consisting only of plants--for example, cows have a vegitarian diet. At various points in history, omnivorus humans have decided to stop eating meat, and mistakenly refered to themselves as "vegitarians." This misuse of the word spread and eventually became a part of the lexicon.

I've found that many of the multiple--and often confusingly contradictory--definitions for words came about in this way: by a misuse of the word by those who didn't properly understand it's meaning becoming an acepted definition through common (mis) use.

As for the other things: I didn't feel like taking the time to "lawyerize" my post to prevent it's meaning and intent from being twisted in the way SVF chose to do--and I don't fel like taking the time now to dignify his (non) accusations. Despite my opinion of his beleifs, I doubt he is stupid enough to actually be confused by my previous post--he's just making things up to attack since he can't attack my actual statement.

LOL @ last paragraph above!

The poll was a little different for me because I eat meat 3- days a week. Daily is not possible right now(no time.) Since I stay in India with my parents, I got to eat vegetarian food in the house. Cooking meat is forbidden but I can bring it from outside(sounds weird but that that's my father's logic.) While I was in the US, I used to cook and eat pretty much everything that americans eat. Beef, pork, seafood, poultry etc. Finding beef, pork and turkey(subway subs) is kinda difficult in india. So gotta stick with poultry and fish.

Luckily, at 51, I have perfect health and since I started taking alot of vitimin suppliments about 13 years ago I have not been sick a single day. Not so much as a cold. This from a person who would get sick on a yearly basis years back.

I severely cut out all sugar and do not drink any kind of sugered soft drinks or diet soft drinks as I believe they truly are poison to the body. I also do not drink any dairy products, but I do have a weakness for cheese. I just take extra fiber when I eat cheese. I believe that if you keep the immune system healthy with suppliments, try to eat healthy, (as you cannot get any minerals and vitimins from processed foods these days) you will stay healthy in both mind and body.

My diet consists of mostly fish, poultry and vegetables, occasional meat and junk food, always with suppliments including fiber.

This does not mean that I live a bland lifestyle. I still smoke and drink alcohol, and eat the occasional pizza, cheese, junk food and meat. Just a few months ago I went for an MRI of the heart to determine if I had any clogged arteries or plaque build-up. My test was returned with zero plaque of the heart and it was stated that I had the heart of a 30 year old! Also, blood tests confirmed that my cholestoral was normal. I'd like to think it was because of the suppliments, but I do not believe in coincidences. So I will continue with my present diet and lifestyle for the time being.

Well done Pachipro on your diet :cool: - you must have a lot of self discipline to cut out all sugar, or at least thats the one i would find the most difficult personally. Which one did you find the most difficult to cut out of your diet?

ps: this thread is not about discussions of animal rights, politics, religeons or whatever etc (i know i'm no innocent in this sense, but i figured there are thousands of other threads about this kind of stuff, so if you feel the need to go off-topic or be sarcastic or whatever please do it on your own thread or wherever the thread owner doesn't mind ;) ).
Diets are very personal things and i don't think anyone here wants to feel their personal choices trodden on by a herd of activists or religeous preachers etc...This thread is not intended to be an opinion-bashing session.

This thread has been viewed 46178 times.

Back