• I used to back in the Day

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Yes, I smoke pot

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters

Carlson

gunjin
Reaction score
I seen the other poll for smoking. so i figured why not.

Last edited:
I voted, Never have, never will.

I've known people who have, though. My respect for them knows no bounds. Lower bounds, that is.

Seriously though, I just don't like the idea of getting myself in some kind of drug-induced high. I especially don't like the idea of making a fool of myself. There are other ways to relax myself.

well if you put it up there with normal cigs and drinking.. its not that bad in my eyes. Ive tryed it once and didnt like it so stoped. Ive never smoked. and used to drink but not any more

edit: nevermind.
2nd edit: i take it that by "pot" you are referring to "weed" or "green" a.k.a cannabis?

Thor said:
Why would you ever want to smoke to begin with? Smoke is bad for your lungs.

Why indeed. There are thousands of reasons of why people try it, and many more for people that decide to make a habit of it, most reasons though i have heard fall into the "you only live once", or "i was under pressure to try it out/i was insecure at the time" or "i was simply curious to see what it was like" or "i didn't care much for my body/self back then(usually this ties in with depression, self-hate or unhappyness about the persons life in one way or another) etc.
People do an aweful lot of things that are bad for them knowingly, like cutting their wrists or eating too much or drinking themselves silly all the time. But people still have their reasons.

Thor said:
Hah, I guess self-destruction is a popular hobby among humans.

Yes, and employing arguments of futility and bringing other points in to cloud the issue is also a trait common to many without the discipline to stay focused on the topic at hand.

Example:
Smoking is bad for you. It (nicotene and the carcinegens put in tobacco) is a bad drug that causes lung cancer and other health problems so it therefore should be banned or severely regulated.

Undisciplined reply:
But so is drinking. If we are going to do that to smoking then we should do it to drinking also. Besides, we all have to die someday. Everything is bad if you abuse it.

lastmagi said:
I voted, Never have, never will.

I've known people who have, though. My respect for them knows no bounds. Lower bounds, that is.

Seriously though, I just don't like the idea of getting myself in some kind of drug-induced high. I especially don't like the idea of making a fool of myself. There are other ways to relax myself.

Well said. I echo practically the same sentiment.

I never have and never will smoke it or anything.

All of my friends have, though. While I do look at it as a character flaw (we all have them) of theirs for not being strong enough to resist it, I still respect them for the many other outstanding areas of their life, charities, accomplishments, -- and most of all for being my friend dispite my flaws which they are able to forgive.

strongvoicesforward said:
Yes, and employing arguments of futility and bringing other points in to cloud the issue is also a trait common to many without the discipline to stay focused on the topic at hand.
Example:
Smoking is bad for you. It (nicotene and the carcinegens put in tobacco) is a bad drug that causes lung cancer and other health problems so it therefore should be banned or severely regulated.
Undisciplined reply:
But so is drinking. If we are going to do that to smoking then we should do it to drinking also. Besides, we all have to die someday. Everything is bad if you abuse it.

Such a topic though is never so simple, if you look at the world with tunnel vision all your life you will miss many things. To discourage people who want to compare similar situations is just narrow minded, not "undisciplined".

It is undisciplined when things are always being linked to others just so that no headway can be made on an issue. It boggs things down and doesn`t let advancement on individual issues. Things can be tackeled on their own accord.

Smoking pot or cigs is irrelevant to drinking. Reminds me of the childish tantrums kids have when they are grounded:

"Why do I get grounded for staying out after 11? You didn`t ground Julie for not buckling her seatbelt yesterday. Both are dangerous. I don`t think I should get grounded for staying out after 11 until the punishment is also fixed for Julie not wearing her seatbelt."

I wise parent wouldn`t get detracted by such an argument (or debate <snicker>).

Most things are never "simple." That is no reason to link them to other things to bog them down. But, those who are obstinate about not wanting to change the status quo know that to link things is the best way to keep things from changing. It clutters up the negotiation process.

It is undisciplined when things are always being linked to others just so that no headway can be made on an issue. It boggs things down and doesn`t let advancement on individual issues. Things can be tackeled on their own accord.
Smoking pot or cigs is irrelevant to drinking. Reminds me of the childish tantrums kids have when they are grounded:
"Why do I get grounded for staying out after 11? You didn`t ground Julie for not buckling her seatbelt yesterday. Both are dangerous. I don`t think I should get grounded for staying out after 11 until the punishment is also fixed for Julie not wearing her seatbelt."
I wise parent wouldn`t get detracted by such an argument (or debate <snicker>).

It depends entirely what you are talking about or referring too. I also don't think drinking is that different from smoking in many respects- millions of people enjoy it, millions of people die from it, millions of people hate and love it- it causes a lot of social issues and crime in communities across the world. Why do you think drinking is such a different situation from smoking?
If you are referring to the other smoking thread though, why don't you post your "disciplined" disagreements there with what material people post where- for the record, we were discussing the smoking ban before you started telling random stories of smokers coughing up weird stuff and things(by your definition, you were posting "undisciplined" posts, as it was doing nothing to the progress of the debate- you also seemed to partly ignore the very first post of the thread in most of your posts).

Tokis-Phoenix said:
Why do you think drinking is such a different situation from smoking?

Wrongs come from both. But, that doesn`t mean they are to be linked to each other in deciding to take action. In fact, they should be tackeled on their own accord.

Just as tackling the problem of tobacco should be tackeled separately from the fight on pot because pot is listed as an illegal substance.

Again, linking things bogg things down and is the recipe for non-action. Refer to "child grounding" story above.

Wrongs come from both. But, that doesn`t mean they are to be linked to each other in deciding to take action. In fact, they should be tackeled on their own accord.
Just as tackling the problem of tobacco should be tackeled separately from the fight on pot because pot is listed as an illegal substance.
Again, linking things bogg things down and is the recipe for non-action. Refer to "child grounding" story above.
I think they are linked to each other in taking action- its like a debate saying horses should only legally be allowed to live to 10yrs old, while zebras or ponies can be allowed to live to 20. You are basically saying you shouldn't compare the two as although they are a similar situation, you don't want them to be compared so that a verdict is reached quicker- while i think they should be compared, as it opens up a different perspective on the same situation and questions why they should be treated differently at all. Why should the horse only get 10yrs of life when the zebra is getting 20? Or would you also feel unhappy in that situation is somone brought that example up?
It doesn't "bog down" the debate at all, it opens up new posibilities for thought and opinion. It would be like me saying you were unjustified in even considering to bring up the topic of human slavery in your animal thread.

Tokis-Phoenix said:
its like a debate saying horses should only legally be allowed to live to 10yrs old, while zebras or ponies can be allowed to live to 20.

Strawman argument. That situation never exists. Try again.

Strawman argument. That situation never exists. Try again.

Its an obvious example, surely you are intelligent enough to comprehend its meaning or the concept of an example? What is a "strawman argument"?

It is not a real world example.

Furthermore, ad hominem comments about our intelligence will do nothing to further the conversation. I have not directed comments personally at your intelligence, please show some discipline. Most don`T want to view a conversation sliding down that route.

It is not a real world example.
Furthermore, ad hominem comments about our intelligence will do nothing to further the conversation. I have not directed comments personally at your intelligence, please show some discipline. Most don`T want to view a conversation sliding down that route.

I agree. But you can understand the meaning of the example, no?
...."sigh"....So basically you disagree with me comparing smoking to drinking, in my own thread? How many other people here think i was unjustified to do this? What do you think about my other example of you doing exactly the same thing but comparing human slavery to animals rights in your animal thread? Would you think i would be wrong in saying that all you were doing is bogging down the verdict of the debate by making "undesciplined" comparisons, because they are separate debates/matters? I think its rather hypocritical of you :eek:kashii: .

This thread has been viewed 33879 times.

Back