• Once but didnt like it so I quit

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • I used to back in the Day

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Yes, I smoke pot

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters
Tokis-Phoenix said:
...."sigh"....So basically you disagree with me comparing smoking to drinking, in my own thread?

I don`t disagree about comparing the harm of the two. Both certainly do cause harm. That is a given we all agree on. But, to say one shouldn`t be regulated or banned simply because the other isn`t is wrong. It bogs things down to link actions on things with a myriad of other things and actions for those.

How many other people here think i was unjustified to do this?

No need to seek piling on. Others will chime in when they want.

What do you think about my other example of you doing exactly the same thing but comparing human slavery to animals rights in your animal thread? Would you think i would be wrong in saying that all you were doing is bogging down the verdict of the debate by making "undesciplined" comparisons, because they are separate debates/matters? I think its rather hypocritical of you :eek:kashii: .

Exploitation is exploitation.

A 10 year old is capable of smoking as well as a 50 year old. A male is as well as a female is. That is parallel comparisons of smoking.
Smoking is smoking.

"Smoking" is not "Drinking."

strongvoicesforward said:
I don`t disagree about comparing the harm of the two. Both certainly do cause harm. That is a given we all agree on. But, to say one shouldn`t be regulated or banned simply because the other isn`t is wrong. It bogs things down to link actions on things with a myriad of other things and actions for those.

I never said smoking shouldn't be banned or regulated because drinking isn't, so you don't need to twist my words.

Exploitation is exploitation.

Yes but the slave trade in africa is a completely different situation than farming chickens for example, just as much as alchohol is different from tobacco. You were being hypocritical and that is it, your actions are no different than the ones you were acussing me of.

No need to seek piling on. Others will chime in when they want.

I suppose you are right, Maciamo has already compared alchohol and smoking for me in his smoking thread/poll, why don't you go pester him on his "undesciplined" comparisons in his smoking debate now :eek:kashii: ?

A 10 year old is capable of smoking as well as a 50 year old. A male is as well as a female is. That is parallel comparisons of smoking.
Smoking is smoking.
"Smoking" is not "Drinking."

Oh, right...You wanted "parrallel" comparsions did you now? Why didn't you just say that from the start? And anyways, what does making parallel comparison examples of things have to do with your point?

Tokis-Phoenix said:
I never said smoking shouldn't be banned or regulated because drinking isn't, so you don't need to twist my words.

Thor in post #6 said, "Why would people ever want to smoke and fill their lungs with that. It is bad for your lungs.." (paraphrased).

and you answered with:
People do an aweful lot of things that are bad for them knowingly, like cutting their wrists or eating too much or drinking themselves silly all the time. But people still have their reasons.

You are right. You didn`t say that specifically. But, why bring up these other "reasons" for other vices? Of course we know people have their reasons. No one does something for no reason at all.

The topic is about smoking -- specifically pot. I admittedly did target smoking in general and should have moved it to the the smoking thread. I wasn`t expecting this to roll like it did here so it started gaining momentum.

Yes but the slave trade in africa is a completely different situation than farming chickens for example, just as much as alchohol is different from tobacco.

Exploitation that causes suffering is exploitation that causes suffering.

Drinking is not smoking. Both do cause harm.

Before we continue this any further, I want to just ask you:

Do you think it is ok to proceed at regulating one without having to address the other side by side at the same time (i.e. linking the two in efforts to regulate either)?

If "Yes," then we need not continue this argument any further. If "No," then tell me why linking the two is necessary or should even be considered when it would only bogg things down too slow in getting results and actions.

Ok Im going to throw an axe into the above debate....
I smoked 'pot' from the age of 12 to 24...
Initially I started smoking it just because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I have some really great memories from when I was high.
I wouldnt say that at an early age it was an every day affair, perhaps just on weekends. We all had part time jobs so we werent using our parents money.

When I left school it turned into a more regular habit, with a mixture of other things. This went on for a couple of years, then I moved in with friends and we smoked it every night.
All through my 'career life' I have kept smoking (of whatever substance) to a night time affair... so it got to the point where I needed it just to get to sleep.
When I moved I cut down drastically, I didnt have a regular supply of it, and didnt want to spend the money on it. This yo-yo effect pulled me to and fro for a few years.
Then last year when I moved to Korea, I knew it was going to be difficult and very very expensive for me to get my hands on the stuff, so it worked in my favour.

I wouldnt recommend people to try it... even if I have some positive things to say about it. I was very depressed for months without it, erratic behaviour, uneven sleeping patterns. I was a very happy person with it, but when I stopped cold turkey (literally I stopped an hour before I flew out of NZ)... at first I was ok, but after a couple of months it was really depressing. Not nice.
Luckily im back to normal now, and its hard for me to say whether I would or not try it again... but im better off without it, its cheaper! I dont spend so much money on midnight munchies etc etc.

Anyway thats just my point of view.

Thor in post #6 said, "Why would people ever want to smoke and fill their lungs with that. It is bad for your lungs.." (paraphrased).
and you answered with:
You are right. You didn`t say that specifically. But, why bring up these other "reasons" for other vices? Of course we know people have their reasons. No one does something for no reason at all.
The topic is about smoking -- specifically pot. I admittedly did target smoking in general and should have moved it to the the smoking thread. I wasn`t expecting this to roll like it did here so it started gaining momentum.

Thor basically questioned why people would want to smoke at all because it is quite a damaging habit health-wise, i used the situation examples i did to say that smoking isn't alone in the sense that millions of people do plenty of things that are bad for them. I was making a general point.

Exploitation that causes suffering is exploitation that causes suffering.
Drinking is not smoking. Both do cause harm.

A damaging habit is a damaging habit. I think that would be a better example, if you want to say/suggest all exploitation is the same thing.

Before we continue this any further, I want to just ask you:
Do you think it is ok to proceed at regulating one without having to address the other side by side at the same time (i.e. linking the two in efforts to regulate either)?
If "Yes," then we need not continue this argument any further. If "No," then tell me why linking the two is necessary or should even be considered when it would only bogg things down too slow in getting results and actions.

I honestly can't say- its an entirely different debate anyway, and i think i would be unfair to continue going off-topic like this on somone elses thread.

Never have, never will. It is a very bad idea. I don't have respect for those who say it's cool to smoke pot. It could be dagerous, if you ask drug addicted people how it all started, they would answer. "It started with some pot and were three guys and............"
But I am glad, that no one in the forum is smoking pot, and some only have tried it, but didn't like it. Well for those who did it in the old days......I don't know....hehe, I guess it's not my problem.

I kinda enjoy a joint from time to time :blush:

moffeltoff said:
I kinda enjoy a joint from time to time :blush:
I know alot of upstanding people who do. like anything else. if used in moderation and wisely. no problems

Thor said:
Why would you ever want to smoke to begin with? Smoke is bad for your lungs.

Not all smoking involves inhaling. Pipes and cigars are typically not inhaled.

Well I havn't smoked for already over 1 year. My first joint was when I was 18 with a girl I just knew 1 day, drinking a 6pac of beer together. My second time was on a party with some friends that are having a living boat. on the main river watching the stars smoking stuff, that was just one of the best evenings of my life with friends!

But most pot, even though it's LEGAL in here, I have smoked in Australia in backpackers... backpackers are really crazy sometimes, and just don't care! in there I maybe smoked once a week.

I had some friends who smoked every day, just before going to work, between work, and in the evening. Even when I was on highschool, kids were just walking a block, smoked some stuff, and go back in the class room.

The same with many other things, when you arn't addicted to it, and don't use it to much, I think it is great stuff!

I have (had? sort of) a good friend who smoked pot... and he happened to be one of those unlucky people whose body doesn't react well to it. He was somehow very sensitive to the effects, in a very negative way. It was an only short time before he takes many other drugs too, usually amphetamines and stuff. Now, he's got paranoia, schizophrenia, bulimia, as the side effect of these various substances, totally addicted, turned from kind gentle person into person who mugs and threatens people, spends all of the time in psychiatric unit, rehab or running away from one or the other of them, and is predicted to die in about 5 years.

It kind of put me off drugs.
:(

Often I hear people say "the occasional joint is ok, it's nice, to relax :) "
But I can't get his image out of my mind. :eek:

Not Yet !

Funny, in my 56 years of life, no one has offered me a chance to? Maybe they feel I am crazy enough without it?

Uncle Frank

:blush:

Carlson said:
I know alot of upstanding people who do. like anything else. if used in moderation and wisely. no problems

Its just like a glas of red wine if you moderate the consumation its pure pleasure^^

I have in the past, mostly at parties. It was fun. It gets even better mixed with brownies. :)

I have never tried it, but I am in the minority amongst people I know. When I was a teenager it was more common for my friends to smoke cannabis than to drink alcohol - even my parents smoked it occasionally :eek:kashii:. Most of them stuck to cannabis, a few tried harder drugs like LSD, speed or E. I wouldn't try smoking anything as I don't like smoking full stop. I wouldn't try any of the harder drugs as I don't like to lose control or do anything illegal - and I was afraid something bad would happen to me. My best friend at school used to take LSD every weekend. I looked after her through some bad trips, which was enough to put anyone off.

I started smoking pot at 16, and still engage in it from time to time. I don't pretend to claim that it has no ill effects, and I approach my drinking the same way. Like a lot of things I enjoy in life, too much of it isn't good. Duh. But it's fun in the right situations, and I like doing it. I don't smoke if people around me protest, and don't drive or operate heavy machinery while high. I'm of the opinion it should be decriminalized in America, but that's a whole different can of worms.

No way for me!

I've smoked marijuana a few times. I enjoyed it and found it to be very relaxing. The high I experienced was no "worse" than anytime I've drank alcohol in excess.

I don't understand why the government (and society in general) look at one as being so much worse than the other. I feel bad for anyone who is in jail, on probation, or facing any other serious consequences for smoking pot.

I think I've pretty much outgrown the desire to do either on any kind of a regular basis though, so let me pat myself on the back for that one. :D

No more doobies for the Beast. :p

This thread has been viewed 33880 times.

Back