Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Does multilingualism interfere with your thought processes?

osias

Does multilingualism interfere with your thought processes?

There are so many members here who speak more than 2 or 3 languages.

My question is: Does multilingualism interfere with your thought processes?

I speak at least three languages, and I sometimes find myself unable to continue with my train of thought, unable to speak freely..like a mental block. Speaking is more difficult than writing in any of these languages..

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with multilingualism.

I think I'm not very good at abstract thinking.. maybe this only shows that I'm stupid....

anyway...

Resident Realist Achievements:
    1 year registered

It doesn't happen so much when I think in my mother tongue, but if I try to think of anything in Spanish these days it comes out in Japanese, but that's probably more from a lack of practice and motivation.

iron monkey Achievements:
    1 year registered

Does multilingualism interfere with your thought processes?

No. Once I start thinking in one language I tend to continue to think in that language. I can also think simultaneously in two languages but I can't tell whether my thought process slows down or not.

Speaking is also not a problem. You have to understand though that in our country Filipino and English (not to mention local dialects) are used interchangeably in conversations.

I'm lost in my own mind...

Mikawa Ossan

It happens to me, when I want to express a concept that is easily expressed in one language but not the other. Unfortunately, I can't think of any good examples at the moment.

I think that it's very individualistic. I simply cannot think in two languages simultaneously. Heck, I have trouble thinking in just one at a time! But seriously, some people are more adept at switching from one to another than others.

Horizon Rider Achievements:
    1 year registered

I can only speak English and French fluently. I'm learning Japanese but my ability is woeful. However, recently I've been to Spain and Germany, and I don't know Spanish or German but my brain went into 'foreign language mode' and I kept thinking in mainly French but with Japanese particles/sentence structure.

I think it's ok if you only speak 2 languages. Once you get to be fluent in more than 3 languages I'd say it might be a bit confusing sometimes! I guess it depends what the people around you are speaking; like in sl0thmachin3's case if they use the 2 languages interchangeably it wouldn't be a problem. If you're in a country where you speak that language, you could just switch to that, but I think it's when you don't know the language but your brain registers 'Hey! it's foreign!' that you get the problems...

Mike Cash

Both my kids are monolingual Japanese, which normally isn't an insurmountable burden in my life. The one thing I've had to caution them about in the past is that I am incapable of listening to two people in Japanese at the same time, so they need to address me one at a time.

It's Clipper Time! Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Chinese/Japanese American

Quote Originally Posted by nice gaijin
    It doesn't happen so much when I think in my mother tongue, but if I try to think of anything in Spanish these days it comes out in Japanese, but that's probably more from a lack of practice and motivation.
    I've had the same problem ever since I started learning Japanese. It seems like I'm always using Japanese particles instead of Spanish ones.

Then again, perhaps I haven't experienced the full impact of such a phenomena since I'm far from fluent in either Japanese or Spanish.
    Go Trojans

Your Goddess is here Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    African American

I have issues with my Japanese interfering with my French and my English interfering with my French. It's not so bad with Japanese and English. But when I'm speaking French I sometimes forget about the le/la/l'. Because in English and Japanese there's no such think as masculine/feminine.
    “All right then, I’ll go to hell”―and tore it up. It was awful thoughts and awful words, but they was said. And I let them stay said; and never thought no more about reforming.
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

旅人 Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    european

I sometimes have this problem like the OP said. It's because so bad my French has gone downhill and I tend to mix Japanese words in it. My English goes rather well, but my Dutch has gone downhill too. I think studying multiple languages can influence your think pattern. Good thread !
    小豆研ぐか、人取ってくおか、ショキショキ〜♪
    Azuki togu ka, hito totte kuo ka, shoki shoki〜♪

Your Goddess is here Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    African American

Learning different languages at the same time can interfere with your thought process. Maybe it's some kind of psychological thing.

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Taiwanese

I sometimes find myself saying a sentence using two different languages. The thing is, there are certain things that are unique to a language and only that language can express what I really want to say.

What I have found out when I started learning Japanese is that sometimes when I first look at an English word, for that fraction of a second, I had the temptation to pronounce it in the romaji way....

TuathaDeDanann Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by Ma Cherie View Post
    Learning different languages at the same time can interfere with your thought process.
    I have to respectfully disagree - as far as I remember from studies red it only interferes if the languages you want to learn are quite close like i. e. Spanish and Italian.

When I started working after maternity leave I had problems remembering some of the professional jargon at the right time.

I usually don't have problems with this in my strong tongue, but it happens more frequent when I'm speaking another one, although I quite often fill the gap with a word form another language.