How do you eat your spaghetti ?

How do you eat your spaghetti ?

• Total voters
I eat spaghetti with a spoon and fork. I usually slice it into smaller pieces then eat it with a spoon and fork, because that's the easiest and most comfortable way imo.

Spoon what for? just SPaghetti uncapable people uses a spoon....

I just twist it around on my fork. Sometimes I put a little bit of it on garlic bread.

With a fork and spoon unless I have a bib sized napkin wrapped around me in which case I am quite happy to go fork-only and twirl away.

I usually eat it with a fork, and hold a spoon under it, as to be polite.

However, the other night, I was exhausted, and was out of forks,, so I used just a spoon, and fell asleep.

:ramen: Never tried chopsticks though.

Bare hands. Then I lick the plate. Clean.

I would first grab my fork and stab my spaghetti right in the center. Twist it a dozen times. Lift it up, and if some of the noodles are just hanging off the fork, I start over again.

No need to start over again. :) It doesn't have to be perfect...a few strands can hang down a little bit. The trick is to lift a bit after a twirl or two, and not to take up too much. It helps if it's served in a bowl as it often is in Italy because you use the curve of the bowl. At least you're not using a spoon. I was taught that was very low class or for very young children and therefore verboten. Bread is great with pasta, although you wouldn't think so as they're both starches. If you're in a home setting (not in a restaurant or with relative strangers) you can use the bread to mop up any left over sauce, although if it's Italy and tomato sauce, it won't be swimming in it.

Of course, rules are meant to be broken. I once took a British friend of mine to a southern Italian restaurant where he ordered pasta with puttanesca sauce. He was so enamored by it he said he wanted to swim in it. :) He didn't do that but he did use a spoon and then a half a loaf of bread soaking up the sauce, even the sauce remaining in the serving platter. I wasn't the only one charmed; so was the owner/chef of the restaurant. There's no greater compliment to the chef.

It's the same thing with Chinese food and chopsticks. I'm pretty good with them after a lot of practice, but if it's a particularly "juicy" dish, I'm not above using a spoon if one is provided so that I can get all the sauce. I've also been known to pick up the smaller bits of seafood and then sucking at the shell, and no one threw me out! :)

http://www.nytimes.com/1982/05/19/g...-eat-pasta-like-an-expert.html?pagewanted=all

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...ns_eat_Spaghetti_Spoon_or_no_spoon-Italy.html

This thread has been viewed 28530 times.

Back