Debate Are religious people somehow weaker than atheistic people?

Are religious people somehow weaker than atheists?

• Yes

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • No

Votes: 41 67.2%

• Total voters
Fear has nothing to do with religion at least here in the states most people of my generation went to church every Sunday as directed it is more of a habit passed down . I'm a soldier, poet and free thinker and I lean way right. But when I look around me and listen IMO a higher power exist when I study the stars and hear words like infinity and see the wonders through a telescope I know there is a higher power IMO Now as far as being a Christian power who is to say our people meaning Europeans have been pagans far longer than we have been Christian

I can only speak from a personal stand and I have to agree with you that fear has nothing to do with faith, in fact it is quite the opposite. Also I do not have faith because I need a "comfort" zone and "want" to believe in something higher..it`s just what it is :)

Fear has nothing to do with religion at least here in the states most people of my generation went to church every Sunday as directed it is more of a habit passed down . I'm a soldier, poet and free thinker and I lean way right. But when I look around me and listen IMO a higher power exist when I study the stars and hear words like infinity and see the wonders through a telescope I know there is a higher power IMO Now as far as being a Christian power who is to say our people meaning Europeans have been pagans far longer than we have been Christian

You do not know. You believe so. It is your personal conviction. Such an interpretation could be typical for a mind that we possess. The mind of an evolved primate.

I can only speak from a personal stand and I have to agree with you that fear has nothing to do with faith, in fact it is quite the opposite. Also I do not have faith because I need a "comfort" zone and "want" to believe in something higher..it`s just what it is :)

Can you elaborate. How can it be the opposite? Either religion draws its strength (at least in part) from fear or it does not. What is the opposite of fear? fearlessness? That drives to religion?

That is why I put IN MY OPINION aka IMO. I don't push my views or believes on no one. Every mind has free will

You do not know. You believe so. It is your personal conviction. Such an interpretation could be typical for a mind that we possess. The mind of an evolved primate.

Can you elaborate. How can it be the opposite? Either religion draws its strength (at least in part) from fear or it does not. What is the opposite of fear? fearlessness? That drives to religion?

Again the question was not about "religion" ..it asked if "religious people, "in your opinion" were weaker than atheists and in my opinion ..No they are not. :)

I think there are many misunderstandings about atheist perspective...I had to face many "verbal attacks" for that.
To be atheist means that you don't believe to any God or divinity. So you don't think that there is a Creator or a superior plan, like "destiny". You just find that existence has no sense, because sense is something related only with human (or terrain) conception of life.
This doesn't mean that atheists don't have spirituality. Every human being must have it, but the perspectives change. For instance I believe that our life is a matter of introspection. I do not believe in an external spirituality, because all we feel, all we see and all we experience is in the limits of our experience. That's why I think to be weaker doesn't depend on religious believes.

I would generally say that atheists are more depressed, if you look statistically. This is because that we (I am an atheist) do not have that false safety net of belief to make ourselves feel better.

I also agree that atheists can sometimes come across as pompous or proud of being an atheist.

I think that everyone should be able to coexist and not let religion or lack thereof get in the way of our logic though. Both atheists and religious people have frustrations with the other side though.

Religion is a need in the community. A person does not need. I see atheism as a dominant gene. I think that after 1000 years, will all be atheists

Religion is a need in the community. A person does not need. I see atheism as a dominant gene. I think that after 1000 years, will all be atheists

Only when atheists have more children than religious people, and granted there is spiritual or atheistic gene.

Ateist ic gene is a metaphor, of course. But atheism is winning cultural features Ateism like a horse and wheel 4,000 years ago. Technology that has advantages Reference atheism-standard displays it. More solve problems, not leave them under the bed / hypocritical, false / I'm talking about communities, not individuals / Scandinavia /

I do not think atheism will prevail in future. It is so common between us because we have free of talk, expression, without any punishments in the society. In Middle Ages, if there would be "democracy", many people would claim benevolence to the religion as well. It is the same as the punishment for pre-marital sexual life, or question of divorces. If society takes it as a need, will form several ways of "punishments". If the question becomes less important for society - more natural behaviour will surface, but only in a part of that society.

And, religionism/atheism goes hand in hand with traditional versus open (more liberal) societies.

I keep coming across atheists that somehow feel that religious people are weak. I don't get this perspective, as I feel that humans just can't deal with pure reality as pure reality, and all therefore have crutches to help them get through difficult times. To me, I see this particular atheistic perspective as arrogant, and somehow not true. I wish I could come up with something more solid, rather than just this vague feeling I have, at the moment what I want to say eludes me. Hope you can catch the gist of it.

Other perspectives?

No they are not, there is the weak and bold in both. Harvesting misoverfearfulness to make 'outsiders' of 'insiders' or 'hosts' or 'outlanders' of 'inlanders' or 'fellow man' is a weakness - weigh against another: Puritans, Quakers, and Amish and their ilk like Boers. The more truthfully religious they are (the Quakers) the more bold and broad-minded and truly forward-thinking they have shown to be - the Quakers have always been strong enough and ready to struggle with their self beliefs (not many of us who are happily godless even dare go there). Whilst the Amish art nowt but atheists with a fetish for wrapping themselves up in sham religious/period clothing and ways - as a means for these failed wannabe-Puritans to practice their weakness for primitive ethnocentrism. The Amish could believe in ghosts but they they would still be exclusive. Now (out of the foresaid) the Puritans went seemingly from godlimost and warlikemost/warlilikemost to seemingly utter godlessness, but in this meaning, unlike the manfearing Amish fascist, and in thitherness to Quaker boldness, it is the the godfearing Puritan bolding life to such a breadth that their religious beliefs had done its job and became no longer needed.

I don't agree that Atheists are stronger than Religious People, Meek is not nessisarily weak.

dont know if religious people are weaker......maybe just more ignorant.

Religious people are not weaker than Athiests, and vice versa.

It seems that many Athiests are more sad, somber, or depressed than religious people. I do not know why that is. Perhaps because hey do not have the assurance of a higher power?

Also, it seems that Athiests tend to be more sceptical than religious people.

dont know if religious people are weaker......maybe just more ignorant.
For example, why would Christians be more ignorant than an atheist?
I would say, it is the other way around

For example, why would Christians be more ignorant than an atheist?
I would say, it is the other way around

Because it makes so much more sense to believe in an invisible bronze age sky god who's large enough to create whole galaxies but small enough to care who you choose to sleep with. A god that killed his own child in order to somehow redeem humankind (although there is in fact no historical record of Jebus).

In my experience, people will believe in or not believe in whatever they choose, and are unlikely to be persuaded by the arguments of others. Perhaps that proves that atheists are more intelligent than people who insist on taking religious mythology literally. However, I think it may just prove that humans are very stubborn creatures. And perhaps by insisting on atheism instead of agnosticism or belief in religion as useful and informative allegory, atheists are shutting out spiritual dimensions that are important to human wellbeing.

Religious people have more morals than atheists. This is because all religions have core moral beliefs that followers are supposed to adhere to. Atheists do not have a standard collective morality they all follow. If they do, it is not common knowledge to everyone else. It could be said that obeying the law of the land means a person has morals, but everyone does not obey the law anyway.
What a pile of rubbish!!! I bet, all of this "information" you gathered from Sunday sermons.
Here is statistics from US Federal prison (2013) about religious affinities of inmates. Barely any atheists (0.07%!), but a lot of Protestants and Catholics.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...ists-its-a-lot-smaller-than-we-ever-imagined/

To make you feel any better, I will mention, that about 50% of scientists declare themselves atheists or agnostics. More atheists there than in general population. I wonder why?

What a pile of rubbish!!! I bet, all of this "information" you gathered from Sunday sermons.
Here is statistics from US Federal prison (2013) about religious affinities of inmates. Barely any atheists (0.07%!), but a lot of Protestants and Catholics.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...ists-its-a-lot-smaller-than-we-ever-imagined/

To make you feel any better, I will mention, that about 50% of scientists declare themselves atheists or agnostics. More atheists there than in general population. I wonder why?

He never wrote "information" so why are you quoting him? And take out the sarcasm, I'm so tired of your sac religiousness. And I have ever right to be rude to you. About those prisoners: The vast majority of Americans claim to be sometype of Christian. It's more a tradition and cultural thing than an actual believe. You have to take into a account we come from a society that was uniformally Christian for over 1,000 years. People always seem to forget this. This is why so many people claim to be Christian but don't care much about Christianity. Same thing with Islam in the Middle East.

What he says is true. Religious people have a set of moral rules while non-religious don't. That's fact. There's nothing stopping atheists from thinking or doing anything. Everything is just a chemical or whatever and morality doesn't matter. Your views on sexuality demonstrate this. You think only caring about whether"If it harms someone" breaks it down into a science and makes you intelligent, but it doesn't.

Why is harming people bad? It isn't scientific, it is just as scientific as saying sex outside of marriage is bad. Eventually I got you to admit that whether someone is hurt isn't all that matters, that's a start. You admit sex in certain relationships in inappropriate and therefore wrong. You need to rethink your view of the world. The atheistic view with essentially no morality, is dangerous, dark, and sad. It denies the most basic ways humans view their world.

He never wrote "information" so why are you quoting him?
Since when there is a rule to quote only information. :confused:

And take out the sarcasm, I'm so tired of your sac religiousness. And I have ever right to be rude to you. About those prisoners:
I'm also sick and tire to respond to your religious bigotry and intolerance. I guess, we are even.

The vast majority of Americans claim to be sometype of Christian. It's more a tradition and cultural thing than an actual believe. You have to take into a account we come from a society that was uniformally Christian for over 1,000 years. People always seem to forget this. This is why so many people claim to be Christian but don't care much about Christianity. Same thing with Islam in the Middle East.
To make it simple this time. There is about 20% declared non-religious people of all population of US. Non-religious people among prison population are sub 1%, according to cited government document, above. Do you notice this disproportion? Why so few?!

What he says is true. Religious people have a set of moral rules while non-religious don't. That's fact. There's nothing stopping atheists from thinking or doing anything. Everything is just a chemical or whatever and morality doesn't matter. Your views on sexuality demonstrate this. You think only caring about whether"If it harms someone" breaks it down into a science and makes you intelligent, but it doesn't.

Why is harming people bad? It isn't scientific, it is just as scientific as saying sex outside of marriage is bad. Eventually I got you to admit that whether someone is hurt isn't all that matters, that's a start. You admit sex in certain relationships in inappropriate and therefore wrong. You need to rethink your view of the world. The atheistic view with essentially no morality, is dangerous, dark, and sad. It denies the most basic ways humans view their world.
Explain, why there are so few, disproportionate to general population, atheists in prison?! After all, by your standards, they are immoral and don't care for rule of law. And yet, they obey the law, and don't go to prison.

I got you to admit that whether someone is hurt isn't all that matters
You have been dreaming.

This thread has been viewed 64396 times.

Back