Eurovision 2006 : your favourite songs ?

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
I am watching the results live on TV now. First of all, I rarely watch the Eurovision, but I have to say that I am amazed at how chauvinistic voters in most countries are, usually giving the highest scores to their neighbours (Cyprus gave their max points to Greece, Romania to Moldova, Moldova to Romania, Latvia to Russia, Andorra to Spain, Slovenia to Bosnia, Ukraine to Russia, Belarus to Russia, Bosnia to Croatia, Albania to Bosnia, Macedonia to Bosnia, Bulgaria to Greece, and all the Nordic to Finland...). Naturally Germany voted for Turkey (huge Turkish community there), and Israel for Russia (Russian Jews are the biggest country of origin or Israeli). Much too political.

I don't understand how Lithuania, the worst of the 24 songs in my opinion (along with Latvia), got such a high ranking.

My favourites were Germany, Norway, Sweden, Turkey, Spain, Malta and Croatia (not in that order).

UK was too rap. Romania too dance. Armenia not European enough for Eurovision. Not a big fan hard rock, but Finland was ok. Croatia was the most folkloric and original. Germany surprised with its country music, which I think deserved to be in the top 3, and they ended up only in 15th position. I am amazed that Malta only got 1 point.

Ironically, Turkey got 12 points (max.) from the two country who voted against the EU consitution for fear that Turkey join the EU : France and the Netherlands !

Last edited:
Maciamo said:
I don't understand how Lithuania, the worst of the 24 songs in my opinion (along with Latvia), got such a high ranking.

Protest votes?

edit:

Oh yeah, LORDI for the win!

Maciamo said:
I am watching the results live on TV now. First of all, I rarely watch the Eurovision, but I have to say that I am amazed at how chauvinistic voters in most countries are, usually giving the highest scores to their neighbours (Cyprus gave their max points to Greece, Romania to Moldova, Moldova to Romania, Latvia to Russia, Andorra to Spain, Slovenia to Bosnia, Ukraine to Russia, Belarus to Russia, Bosnia to Croatia, Albania to Bosnia, Macedonia to Bosnia, Bulgaria to Greece, and all the Nordic to Finland...). Naturally Germany voted for Turkey (huge Turkish community there), and Israel for Russia (Russian Jews are the biggest country of origin or Israeli). Much too political.
What, your surprised? I could have told you some of the max scores from the beginning of the show. Cyprus have always given Greece 12 points and if Cyprus were in the show Greece would have given them 12 points. Moldova and Romania, no surprise there either.Germany have always given max or high scores for Turkey. The Balkan states always vote for each other and the same with the Baltic states. This has been going on for years.
As for the songs the only ones that really stuck in my heads were the UK, German, Finland, Danish and Lithunaian entry. The latter because it was so bad it deserved to win to show the Eurovision song contest for what it really is, corny.

This politicalness kills the whole purpose of the contest. Too bad. I understand why Italy doesn't want to participate anymore (an France doesn't really care either).

Yeh, I've come up on a site where they hit the nail on the head.

*Het Eurovisie Songfestival is de homoseksuele trots van Europa, maar met zangtalent heeft het weinig te maken.* In English : The Eurovision songfestival is the gay pride of Europe, but doesn't have much to do with singing talent.

I don't like the country vote either. I think the rules should be different...maybe a panel of judges or smth like that.... like you said it's biased...it ruins the whole thing...

What's more, I think that each country should have a voting power proportional to its population. There is no way Andorra's vote should have the same value as Germany's or Russia's.

Duo said:
I don't like the country vote either. I think the rules should be different...maybe a panel of judges or smth like that.... like you said it's biased...it ruins the whole thing...
It used to be a panel of Judges, but was deemed unfair and so most countries changed to telephone voting. It turns out that this is even worse. Next they decided that everyone who took part in the finals and semi-finals should be able to vote. This has led to the block voting of the Balkans and the Baltics. Bring back the Judges and bring back only the finalists voting. Grrek and Cyprus will still give each other 12 points, but if one doesn't qualify then they can't vote. It has been like this for as long as I can remember, and I can remember Abba winning in 1974. There is one thing I am not too worried about. No matter were the UK come they always automatically qualify, as do Germany, France and Spain. The reason is because they contribute the most money towards Eurovision. If they pulled out the budget would go down considerably.
Another point on the voting. In border towns in Germany, France etc. People are known to cross the border to vote for their countries song, so proportion voting wouldn't really work.
Just a note to Maciamo. Italy pulled out because they had a huff on. They didn't win for several years and threw the dummy out of the pram.
Face it, eurovision is naff and just good fun. Sometimes the rest of Europe take it too seriously.

yes...instead of being a very cool song competition where europeans can get a taste of each other's culture and what not it has turned into some weird competition between groups that can relate within europe....i say instead of regular judges bring in place of them famous and lovable eruopean artists from old age to young...we do have more than we know...let the artists judge the songs and also i think this would attract more viewers.

Mycernius said:
Let's have Simon Cowell judge them.:D
Oh no ! Not that c*nt ! :mad:

My favorites were Finland and Moldova. Congratulations to Finland for winning the contest! :)

This politicalness kills the whole purpose of the contest. Too bad. I understand why Italy doesn't want to participate anymore (an France doesn't really care either).

France isn't the only one (especially in Western Europe) to stop caring about this show, I am afraid. Nobody in Spain takes this contest seriously anymore since the 80's.

2008's contest had some good performances though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTSal3dh6Rg

I prefer songs from older bands like ABBA and Dschinghis Khan to some of the rubbish that passes for music although I liked Lordi and felt that they deserved it. If there weren't any blocs that voted for each other regardless of the quality of song people wouldn't be turned off by the competition and there would be some sort of a revival of the kitsch that made Eurovision great. One can really hope if it changes in the future.

Whilst the entry for the UK was rather poor, they didn't score as bad as Jemini in 2003 when they scored nul points. :LOL: That was a truly awful day for the UK when the scores were called out and the newspapers wrote unanimously negative reviews on the band of choice.

I hope we do better than what we have been doing in the last few years. Hopefully we'll at least qualify for it!! We've sent a former winner in Niamh Kavanagh.

Éire Abú.

Not a chance. With block voting and, this year you can start to vote as soon as it starts, it will go to an eastern European or balkan country. It's bad enough that countries knocked out in the semi are still allowed to vote.

This thread has been viewed 23599 times.

Back