Your Thoughts on Public Nudity

Reaction score
Ethnic group
The primordial soup
Years ago my Japanese girl friend came to visit me in the U.S. and we took a road trip down to Miami. At the public beach there I was surprised to see several ladies sunbathing topless. Of the few we saw in several places we walked by rather closely (my idea) and heard, they seemed to be speaking a European language (French to my memory) to one another.

Personaly, I see no problem with public nudity. At least I feel that the breasts of both sexes should be treated equally in terms of showing in public. Why should a woman`s breasts be regarded as ?eobcene?f for public view but not a man?fs? Do you think that is fair or sexual prejudice? I think it is not fair and is sexual prejudice and is not consistant with reasoning.

Many men have bigger breasts than women. I know a lot of flat chested women.

If the breasts of women give nourishment to life, they should be the less obscene of the two and if a lady wants to go topless in appropriate outside venues such as the beach or playing flag football, then they should be permitted to do so.

What are your thoughts on this? And, have any of the forum ladies ever gone topless, either in areas it was allowed, or in areas it was not permitted (i.e. violated the rules on nudity).

Perhaps there are even others who may think that complete nudity should be allowed. As for that, I do not. But, interested in hearing any reasoning to support it if you feel that extreme should be permitted.

This is a nice thread, and one that does, in my opinion need some consideration.

The key word here may be 'in public' and how we see that, exactly, although I will go along with the where it's allowed thing as being important. I agree mostly agree with strongvoicesforward's stance, while I do understand the usually greater implications in the sexual act placed on women's breast over men's.

Like several other things, I would chalk this one up as being a paradigm matter as well. I would have no problem--I would like to think, at least--with full nudity in situations where the state of brain is right with it. From those I have talked with in the past who were naturists, it was seen as a very calming, completely honest human to human experience. I have also read of the same, and can kind of understand that too--I mean, one would be saying, like, 'hey...this is the real me, as I am with no pretense and show at all.' The maximum for honesty. Also, there may be less class distinction type hangups...no dressed to kill folks.

Of course, yes, all in the right place. And, as I have collected articles on this too, there is a certain etiquette that they go by--I was relieve to hear that. Otherwise, I have no problem with it.

I have no problem with seeing nudity in public, especially when it's just a topless and no genitals are involved. However, I strongly dislike being seen completly nude by anybody else than my wife (even by family members). That's why I would never go to a hot spring or public bath where everybody is naked, and I dislike public swimming pools or gyms with common changing rooms.

There is a word in French to describe the dislike of being seen naked : pudeur. There is no real equivalent in English. My dictionanary translate it as "prudishness" (but that's too strong and also include the meaning of dislike of seeing nudity in others, even in art), "modesty", "reserve" or "delicacy" (the last three o not have only this particular meaning about nudity).

strongvoicesforward said:
Personaly, I see no problem with public nudity. At least I feel that the breasts of both sexes should be treated equally in terms of showing in public. Why should a woman`s breasts be regarded as ?eobcene?f for public view but not a man?fs?

In my views it is only "obscene" when the woman is fat and/or ugly (including old and wrinkled). Otherwise, it is on the contrary a matter of desire. Most straight men will not stay of marble by seeing a beautiful woman's breast, and this is why women don't walk topless unless they want to seduce a man/some men.

It seems obvious enough to me for not making a debate out of it. Two things that proves it is not sexual discrimination is that :

1) prepubescent women can walk topless all over the world without "shocking" or "attracting" anybody.

2) pubescent and adult women naturally hide their breasts in the presence of a male, and most only want to show them while having sex, and won't even show them to their boyfriend/partner when they don't feel in the mood.

So it's clearly about sexual desire more than discrimination or obscenity.

It's so deeprooted in society that showing women's breasts is not appropriate. But I think there would be more molesters/rapers/guys with boners if women were to be allowed to walk nude :D

RockLee said:
It's so deeprooted in society that showing women's breasts is not appropriate. But I think there would be more molesters/rapers/guys with boners if women were to be allowed to walk nude

Oh there surely would. Some mean already have dificult o control themselves seeing a woman's naked arms or unveiled face, so full nudity ! :sorry:

I understand what you have said, Maciamo, and feel that I can see your reasoning up to that point. I would tend to think that perhaps it could be substantially supported that this is a surface thing; conditioned by social groups that have 'come out on top' (for lack of a better phrase at the moment) in the present world scene.

You did mention that you would not (as I take it, and do correct me if I have read too much into it) be interested in discussing or arguing any various points of understanding on the subject, yet I would be interested in looking at it more deeply, if you were interested or had a change of mind on that.

I appreciate your being frank there. MM

However, regarding posts numbers 5&6, studies have provided insight into tribal peoples where it is not the case. Also, it is extremely rare in nudist colonies.

This is because of the mind set. Of course I understand the point being made; if women were just walking around in normal, everyday public (as it is) fully nude. . .look out. . .

I would still say that that just shows the lack of being used to it and set for it mentally. by far most medical people see the body as a functioning set of operations and such, and that is an examply of mind set--paradigm, if you will. MM ( I may be playing a little bit of the Devil's Advocate here, but to give several angles a chance to be inspected.)

I forgot to add that I don't have any problem with nudity in onsen, but I wouldn't go as far as going to a nudistbeach !

Yes...hot springs are fine with me. Especially I do like the rotenburo (outdoor baths) and one day want to do one after a good snow, and sit there with a towel on my head, and some Japanese sake in a little boat floating there beside me...ooo...

The point about the less attractive bodies that Maciamo had brought up. While I have to agree with the sentiment, again, I'm not sure that that isn't simply due to conditioning. MM

Mars Man said:
However, regarding posts numbers 5&6, studies have provided insight into tribal peoples where it is not the case. Also, it is extremely rare in nudist colonies.

Tribes and nudist colonies are limited to a few people (usually less than 100) where most people know each others or share a sense of intimate group.

In today's society, especially in big cities where nobody knows people around them, it would be very different. Nudists don't walk naked in the middle of New York or Paris. They do it in special isolated places with people they know or get to know. Bring a tribesman to a big modern city and sees how he feels about his nudity there !

Mars Man said:
The point about the less attractive bodies that Maciamo had brought up. While I have to agree with the sentiment, again, I'm not sure that that isn't simply due to conditioning.

Not conditioning, natural repulsion. The human body (and mind) is only conditioned in that sense by evolution and instincts of reproduction. Old, fat/unhealthy or ugly women are not good children bearers or don't have good genes. That's all.

So you're okay with public nudity, just as long as it's an attractive woman? Not surprising, especially coming from men. J/K :blush:
Well, in all honesty and I don't have a problem a with nudity, just as long as it's tastful. When it comes to art I'm really okay with it, because the human body can be a beautiful thing. I myself, if given the oppertunity would pose topless just for the sake of art. :bluush:
I live in the Midwest which is fairly conservative but has it's share of nudists, they usaully walk around naked in their backyards. Which is probably better because nobody wants to see them. :mad:

Last edited:
:blush: One of human rights is " the right to be free from displays of other people " is I that everyone undressing in a public place should ask - and whether I want to see similar...
There is a fine decision - special, private beaches - come there the one who wants " to stay nude " and the judge those "passions" which can arise there between people shows there itself in the environment to itself similar and the God...
In fact when, for example, we look photos of naked girls it is necessary to understand we we look " not them ", and that " what them was made " by the photographer... In most cases is " the created beauty "... If to take the camera and in a mode of " serial shooting " to take off naked beautiful girl simply moving before the camera - that of 90 % will be come to throw out or 99 % of the staff... And it with photomodels...:wave:

Maciamo said:
Not conditioning, natural repulsion. The human body (and mind) is only conditioned in that sense by evolution and instincts of reproduction. Old, fat/unhealthy or ugly women are not good children bearers or don't have good genes. That's all.

While I would not be attractive to an 'old' worn out body, I am not sure it would conjure up such an emotion to cause repulsion (fat maybe -- but not old). I think it depends on where we put our values and what we see as beautiful. I would prefer to see an older lady munching on a cucumber or salad topless or in the nude, rather than a young lady puffing on a cigarrette filling her lungs with tobaccco fully clothed -- or nude.

I do think you made a good point, Maciamo, about tribes being rather small and intimate and therefore not a good model in comparing large societies and what that may lead to with molestations. However, I think that what is covered is what causes attraction -- the novelty of seeing "it/them" when they appear unexpectedly. If women went topless as a matter of fact as men do in accepted venues, I am not so sure that that would then mean everyone would be stressed with pumping hormones. Innitially, yes -- but after the novelty wore off -- perhaps not.

Myself am attracted to small chests on women, so I am not so sure that evolution is wired in men to be attracted to large chests as a sign of fertile reproductivity and to necessarily cause them to get excited. Like I said above, I am wondering if what causes us to be excited to womens' chests, or full nudity, has more to do with conditioning because it is not the accepted social norm.

At least, why not give women the equal right to choose to go topless anyplace or during any activity that a man does, the beach, the park, pick-up team sports, or jogging on the street?

Please do forgive me for being brief here, I am pressed for time.

The considerations you have brought up Maciamo, are valid to whatever degree, I agree. For that reason, I would take the position that a valid, and fairly indepth look into those is in line--because, for one, conditioning (as I intended in my usage of the term) is something above the results of evolutionary psychology or biology.

There really appears to be much more under the surface of things which do appear just as you had mentioned. I hope to look at those, because I do feel that it is due to a long, procession of homo sapien's societal group's slowing putting itself (the homo sapien) above and beyond nature itself.

I have a major deadline this Friday. I'll get back after that. MM

Maciamo said:
I have no problem with seeing nudity in public, especially when it's just a topless and no genitals are involved. However, I strongly dislike being seen completly nude by anybody else than my wife (even by family members). That's why I would never go to a hot spring or public bath where everybody is naked, and I dislike public swimming pools or gyms with common changing rooms.
There is a word in French to describe the dislike of being seen naked : pudeur. There is no real equivalent in English. My dictionanary translate it as "prudishness" (but that's too strong and also include the meaning of dislike of seeing nudity in others, even in art), "modesty", "reserve" or "delicacy" (the last three o not have only this particular meaning about nudity).

Hmmm my husband is the opposite. When we were dating he always tried to get me to go public spa with him. But I don't like displaying myself nude in public so I have always refused to go, he no longer asks me to do that anymore.

I am not so fond of going to the beach and bathe underneath the sun half naked or naked neither, even I have lived in Western societies for so long.

The fact remains that my appearance is still East Asian. So in East Asian magazines, the East Asian models they always picked are the fair ones. Being a fair Asian I find it is much easier to wear make ups following ideas you see from the models as well as having a lot more options of the colour of clothes to choose from.:blush:

strongvoicesforward said:
Myself am attracted to small chests on women, so I am not so sure that evolution is wired in men to be attracted to large chests as a sign of fertile reproductivity and to necessarily cause them to get excited. Like I said above, I am wondering if what causes us to be excited to womens' chests, or full nudity, has more to do with conditioning because it is not the accepted social norm.

Well men are attracted to healthy looking women; there are other features healthy women possessed other than big breasts. However I believe most men like busted women, because otherwise why "playboy" sells so well.

Also being a busted woman myself and always hearing Asian Men saying things like they don't care about the women's breast size, but when I wear low cut clothes where you can see the cleavage, all men stares.;)

Does anyone have any problems with changing in a locker room? Or taking showers? The reason why I asked is because since junior high school after gym class the students would have to takes showers in one big shower room and there were only a few private showers. I didn't have a problem with this, because we were all girls. Does anyone have a problem with nudity when you're just around you're own sex?
Well Minty the reason why men like busty women is because they're probably programmed to like them. In Playboy, not all the women have huge breast. :relief:

Ma Cherie said:
Does anyone have any problems with changing in a locker room? Or taking showers? The reason why I asked is because since junior high school after gym class the students would have to takes showers in one big shower room and there were only a few private showers. I didn't have a problem with this, because we were all girls. Does anyone have a problem with nudity when you're just around you're own sex?

Um I actually don't like to be naked in front of people even if they are women. In France whenever I go for lingerie shopping, the sales girl always comes in just like that. She obviously doesn?ft give much thought to whether I would be uncomfortable displaying my naked breast in front of her when I am trying on different bras, must be a French thing or something. She's also too keen to help me and always overload me with tones of lingerie to try on.

Well Minty the reason why men like busty women is because they're probably programmed to like them. In Playboy, not all the women have huge breast. :relief:

SVF says he likes small breast women though and I have been hearing that a lot from many East Asian men. Hmmm about playboy, I don't look at it, but sometimes when they show up in some TV shows promoting playboy magazine, it's always these busted Barbie doll they choose to go on display.

This thread has been viewed 53843 times.

Back