Can you identify this language?

deadhippo

Reaction score
This is my first post in the european forums.:p

Well, I received this at the bottom of an email and I was wondering what it meant. Of course if I don't know what language it is that is all the more difficult. So the first question I have is as above.
What language is it?
The second is ...What does it mean?

*edit
Φαινόμενο είμαι γω που ακόμα σε αντέχω,
που ακόμα σ' αγαπώ και σ' έχω όπως σ' έχω,
φαινόμενο είμαι γω για όσα έχω κάνει,
κι ας μ' έχεις πικράνει!

Last edited:
It would be easier to tell if you could post a sample...

deadhippo said:
This is my first post in the european forums.:p
Well, I received this at the bottom of an email and I was wondering what it meant. Of course if I don't know what language it is that is all the more difficult. So the first question I have is as above.
What language is it?
The second is ...What does it mean?
me too ,just want to have a look and test it !

I guess he forgot to add it :p

Maciamo said:
It would be easier to tell if you could post a sample...
Very true. :bluush:

?????ǃ?ό?ʃÃ˃? ??ί?ʃ??? ???? ?΃̓? ????ό?ʃ? ?Ѓ? ???˃?έ?ԃ?,
?΃̓? ????ό?ʃ? ??' ????????ώ ?ȃ??? ??' έ?ԃ? ό?΃?ς ??' έ?ԃ?,
?Ӄ??ǃ?ό?ʃÃ˃? ??ί?ʃ??? ???? ???ǃ? ό?Ѓ? έ?ԃ? ??ά?˃Ã?,
?ȃ? ??ς ??' έ?ԃÃ?ς ?΃ǃȃ?ά?˃Ã?!

I have just learned that it may be Greek even though I had been told by the sender it was Bulgarian.
If anybody can read greek and could give me a rough translation that would be great.
This is what babel fish says
Phenomenon I am gw that still you I bear, that still in I love and in I have as in I have, phenomenon I am gw for those who I have made, and as with you have grieved!
I guess its a quote of some type

Last edited:
It is Greek, but I don't understand it.

It's definitely Greek, but unfortunately I don't remember there are any Greek posters in here. No I can't read Greek.

That's part of a song. It's about a man who tolerates his girlfriend's (bad) behavior towards him, because he loves her.

Yeah ?c it?fs Greek ?c. so:

?????ǃ?ό?ʃÃ˃? ??ί?ʃ??? ???? ?΃̓? ????ό?ʃ? ?Ѓ? ???˃?έ?ԃ?,
?΃̓? ????ό?ʃ? ??' ????????ώ ?ȃ??? ??' έ?ԃ? ό?΃?ς ??' έ?ԃ?,
?Ӄ??ǃ?ό?ʃÃ˃? ??ί?ʃ??? ???? ???ǃ? ό?Ѓ? έ?ԃ? ??ά?˃Ã?,
?ȃ? ??ς ??' έ?ԃÃ?ς ?΃ǃȃ?ά?˃Ã?!

So, we can all sing along ...

Phainomeno eimai gō pon akoma se antechō
Pon akoma s?fagapō kai s?fechō opsō s?fechō
Phainomeno eimai gō gia osa echō kanai,
Ki as m?fecheis pikranei!

I suppose a colloquial translation could be something like:

It?fs strange that I still put up with you ?c.
That I still love you as I always have.
It?fs strange that among friends ?c
I still defend you ?c.

I?fm afraid that?fs the best I can come up with – perhaps our Greek friends can now stop laughing at me and help to put right my assumptions!:bluush:

?W????

It's strange that I still put up with you,
that I still love you and take good care of you,
It's strange that I've done so much for you
even though you caused me grief.
Translating Greek into English is not easy :bluush: :relief:
Thank you Sensuikan San for your help :)

monrepo said:
It's strange that I still put up with you,
that I still love you and take good care of you,
It's strange that I've done so much for you
even though you caused me grief.

Translating Greek into English is not easy :bluush: :relief:

You're right there! But thanks - I wasn't too far off ....! :relief:

I admit that there was an awful lot of guesswork involved in my "translation" ! :sorry: :D

I studied (Attic) Greek for about four years, a century or two ago ..... but am ashamed to say that I still failed the exam! I can still read it though.

Best Regards,

?W????

I know that Greek and Russian do not use Roman fonts I wonder how many other European languages don't. Also why certain number of European, languages do others don't, does it have something to do with the Roman Empire?:? Sorry I never studied anything to do with the formation of European languages...:bluush:

Last edited:
Russian alphabet was adapted from old Greek alphabet with some modifications made by Saint Kyrill (or Kyrillos) Hence it is called "Kyrillic". It has a resemblance with Greek alphabet but it's different.

I know that Greek and Russian do not use Roman fonts I wonder how many other European languages don't. Also why certain number of European, languages do others don't, does it have something to do with the Roman Empire?:? Sorry I never studied anything to do with the formation of European languages...:bluush:

Modern Greek is written in the ancient east Greek alphabet while Latin alphabet is derived from the ancient west Greek alphabet modified by the Etruscans. The archaic Greek alphabet was an improvement of the Phoenician alphabet wich used signs only for consonants.

This thread has been viewed 17690 times.

Back