Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: *Stopping the Human Virus: Population*

Ethnic group
    African American

Quote Originally Posted by Ma Cherie
    Actually, the majority of Americans are pro choice (myself included). As well as in favor of sex education, it's more true to say that people are against the act of abortion. But most people feel that a woman has the right to choose weather she wants an abortion or not and believe the government shouldn't intrude on a woman's privacy and believe that abortion should be legal in most cases. That chunk of the population you're talking about is a minority. It just seems that way to you because you. There is, in fact a number of religious organizations that support the right for a woman to choose abortion. Since I had the oppertunity to volunteer at Planned Parenthood Federation of America just in the past few days we are in a fight to keep Roe v. Wade from being overturned. PPFA is one of the few organizations in this country who believe the population is the reason why abortion should be allowed. We are also involved in promoting sex education.
    Piggy backing on what I said eariler, the people you mentioned Maciamo about being pro war, they are usually pro death penalty as well. Extreme pro life groups care so much about a fetus, but once it develops into a baby and it's born, they don't care about the child after that.
    “All right then, I’ll go to hell”―and tore it up. It was awful thoughts and awful words, but they was said. And I let them stay said; and never thought no more about reforming.
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

Ethnic group
    caucasoid

Question to SVF: do you think that the declining population rates in Europe and Japan are too slow?

Ethnic group
    The primordial soup

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Question to SVF: do you think that the declining population rates in Europe and Japan are too slow?
    Hi Glenn,

hmmm...I am not so sure. I do know that I would like to see a negative growth in population sustained. A while back I saw a show that said something like if Japan`s rate continues there would be no Japanese within a hundred years.

It was just a sensational scare story to make people wax sadly about the loss of their culture.

Obviously with a cut in population, there will be some economic pain as demographics and tax bases adjust to support the economy and social financial structures.

If the population of Japan and Europe could be cut by two thirds within a period of 50 years, I would be quite satisfied.

How about you? What are your thoughts on it?
    [up]"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
    --Albert Einstein[/up]

Ethnic group
    caucasoid

I remember seeing statistics that linked women's literacy rates and education to steady or negative population growth. It even had a higher connection than economic prosperity. The reasoning was that if they can read and are educated, they will be able to get better jobs as well as learn about contraceptive options, and thereby reduce the amount of time that they have to raise kids and increase their options for not having them.

I think reduction in population is a good thing. We could all use more room. Maybe that way we won't be so stressed all the time.

So, my opinion is to improve education around the globe, especially among women. Of course, there are probably some outdated ideas about male superiority in some cultures, but educating women would probably do well to curb that as well. I think that current trends in population reduction are fine, because I think it's not happening too quickly. I just hope there aren't too many problems with a diminishing workforce that can't keep up with supporting retirees. I haven't thought too much beyond that.

Ethnic group
    The primordial soup

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I remember seeing statistics that linked women's literacy rates and education to steady or negative population growth. It even had a higher connection than economic prosperity. The reasoning was that if they can read and are educated, they will be able to get better jobs as well as learn about contraceptive options, and thereby reduce the amount of time that they have to raise kids and increase their options for not having them.
    Yes, Glenn. I`ve read that, too, and I think it sounds logical that if women are provided with more choices due to education, it only seems natural that a certain percentage of women will opt to delay childbirth to later less fertile times in their life -- and in some cases choose to not have any.

I think reduction in population is a good thing. We could all use more room. Maybe that way we won't be so stressed all the time.
    Agreed. I have to admit, that I sometimes get stressed walking in a supermarket over here in Japan. It seems no matter which aisle I choose to walk down, I have to negotiate around carts, kids, and people who have no sense of area around them as they linger in the center of aisles. It would be nice to walk down some aisles in stores without always negotiating around people or being bumped into.

I think that current trends in population reduction are fine, because I think it's not happening too quickly.
    Yes, I would like to see it speeded up as well. I`m choosing not to add to the problem.

Ethnic group
    Albanian

There is still plenty of room in north america. There are states that are so empty is scary. Farmlands for miles...it wouldn't be 2 bad to see some cities in there. And not to mention Canada and it's potential for human growth.

Ethnic group
    The primordial soup

Quote Originally Posted by Duo View Post
    There is still plenty of room in north america. There are states that are so empty is scary. Farmlands for miles...it wouldn't be 2 bad to see some cities in there. And not to mention Canada and it's potential for human growth.
    I think that is what Glenn and I were referring to -- that we need more room and space -- that things are just too crowded as it is.

Those empty spaces you are referring to in Canada and U.S. states are some of the last open spaces left in the developed world. The human population is so large that we are not in danger of going extinct, so why feel the need to fill in those empty spaces with things and people we already have more than enough of? Isn`t there value in open space? To me there is. Why is something "empty" scary?

I agree with you, though, there is still plenty of room in North America, and that is how many would like to keep it. There are three choices when it comes to "room/space" available:

1. Plenty of room
    2. Just enough room
    3. Not enough room

I opt for the first one. I think most do also when confronted with the reality and consequences of the other two.

Ethnic group
    Albanian

I suppose that our view on humanity is different. I don't see our population as being a virus. True there are some overpopulated areas like China that need some kind of managment in that area. However, in our western hemisphere the population rates are decreasing at a disturbing rate, especially in Europe. Old populations in the world's most developed countries, the engines of our society, is not a good thing. We need new innovations, new efforts and new ideas on how to better life here on earth and how to do so whilst preserving our environment that we live in. More people doesn't have to mean more polluters, it can mean more nature concious people, in fact it's the newer generations that are more concerned with the well being of our planet rather than the older generations. I guess I can see why you wouldn't like so much to have more people in the US since there the concept of personal space and all is much more magnified than over here. The EU territory is probaply alltogether smaller than that of the US, however there are 450 million people living here and around 300 in the US. WE don't see no lack of forests or nature or wildlife preserves here in Europe. Even more so European cities are probaply greener than the majority of the US megapolis like city, ie LA, NY etc. I suppose it's rather a different perception on personal space that's motivating your view.

Ethnic group
    The primordial soup

Hi Duo,

I agree with most everything you said above. However, I`m gonna go and eat some oatmeal and nuts now for breakfast. I will answer in perhaps an hour.

Enjoying the discussions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12