Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Best Modern Militaries/Armed Forces

Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 0%

End of Life

If any of the major nuclear powers were to ever launch and all out exchange, read the 1950's novel "On the Beach" by Nevil shute

It is highly likely that the only humans (With exceptions of small pockets who would quickly pass on) left would be the crews of the boomers, the nuclear missile subs that are virtually untouchable (Well, at least the US ones are, the Russian ones seem to sink and crash a lot on their own when they are able to put to sea)

The Trident subs at sea during any particular time are much more than capable of destroying just about every living thing on earth with over 1 million times the destructive force of the bombs dropped on Japan circa 1945. This doesn't even take into consideration the four Ohio class that have been retrofitted as "Cruise missile" subs, each one carrying more nuclear tipped cruise missiles than an entire Carrier battle group

Some land based ICBMs "might' get through before the subs got them, highly doubt and bombers would,and your argument about who has the best special forces, well I hope they can dig holes real deep and kiss their as* good bye

As it was once said: I don't know what weapons WW III will be fought with, but WW IV will be with sticks and stones

These subs would launch, their missiles would get through and .........

Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 17.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2a1b2-Isles-D1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1c2

Ethnic group
    Irish/English, with some Scottish, German and Welsh

MAD's a pretty strong deterrent, though.

Of course, religious zealotry can be even stronger. Hence why all the world needs to do everything in its power to stabilize Pakistan. The consequences of our not doing so might turn out to be catastrophic in the long run.

Are you a Navy vet Driver?

OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 164

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-m223
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H64

Ethnic group
    Irish, English, French, German, Swedish, and Finnish

Quote Originally Posted by Keegah View Post
    MAD's a pretty strong deterrent, though.

Of course, religious zealotry can be even stronger. Hence why all the world needs to do everything in its power to stabilize Pakistan. The consequences of our not doing so might turn out to be catastrophic in the long run.

Are you a Navy vet Driver?
    It's a frightening prospect if Pakistan were to fall and its nuclear arms got into the hands of Moslem extremists.

Level

JFWR & Keegah, yes. 22 years, went from driving A-6's to "playing" with S 3 for time, then schools, Squadron Commander etc. Couldn't see well enough any more and getting that fourth stripe is near impossible unless engaged in war, so now I'm a useless old fat guy

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-m223
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H64

Ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by Old A 6 Driver View Post
    JFWR & Keegah, yes. 22 years, went from driving A-6's to "playing" with S 3 for time, then schools, Squadron Commander etc. Couldn't see well enough any more and getting that fourth stripe is near impossible unless engaged in war, so now I'm a useless old fat guy

That's really impressive.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2a1b2-Isles-D1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1c2

Ethnic group

Cool. Thank you for your service, sir.

100 Experience Points

Ethnic group
    East Prusa

Measuring a military by the size of it's army is misleading. Look at iraq in Kuwait, Iraq had at least a top 20 army and the US defeated it in 3 days (size doesn't always matter). On N Korea while it's army is large it suffers from a lack of food, the height of the average solder has been dropping for years showing poor diet. When solders have to steal food from civilians you have a major problem.

100 Experience Points

Ethnic group
    East Prusa

I strongly agree with you on a united EU and if a conflict should some up between the EU and Russia the EU has a strong edge over Russia.

100 Experience Points

Ethnic group
    East Prusa

I like to look at the problem from multiple sides offensive, defensive, air, sea and land capability. I think scoring on the size of an army is a mistake look at the US vs Iraq 3 days. Some countries have large army's just to keep there population in line. US is unquestionably number one, more aircraft, ships, carriers, subs etc Russia has more tanks and towed artillery same with China. US has the capability to go any where and fight something neither Russia or China can do. Russia is having problems with a lack of NCOS and way to many officers. They have been raiding colleges to fill there personnel needs. They had trouble with Georgia who's military is rated in the thirties in 2008.

100 Experience Points

Ethnic group
    East Prusa

Interesting rating Israel #3 good military, good equipment and experienced.

100 Experience Points

Ethnic group
    East Prusa

Nuclear weapons are a status symbol only. Russia and China keeps bringing them up to compensate for a lack in conventional capability. No one is going to use them first knowing the other side will return fire. It's kind of being locked in a room with someone and your only weapon is a grenade how do you use it?

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2a1b2-Isles-D1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1c2

Ethnic group

You can edit your posts dude. No need to write 5 in a row.

100 Experience Points

Ethnic group
    East Prusa

Quote Originally Posted by Ameroman View Post
    I think china actually far outstrips the EU in terms of power. The reason being not simply because it has a large military. If i was a more seasoned poster, I would link you some articles on this, but since I cant, Im relegated to simply stating that the US believes that China is not far away from completely outstripping the United States' military power in the region. Keep in mind that we have Japan right on their doorstep, with its own powerfull navy as you pointed out. You should youtube China vs US: empires at war sometime. Im not really sure who the video was created by, but because I dont know, I wont claim it to be entirely credible. However, If you go on newsdaily sometime and look at some stuff related to US China military relations, there was just an article about the double-digit increase in expendatures for the past 10 years EVERY year. Meanwhile, the EU has been criticized US commanders for not doing enough for itself. I guess the EU had to have ammunition and logistics provided by the US in order to even execute the attacks on Libya. Look it up sometime.

The 27 EU nations are more than a match for a conflict with either Russia or China. Their defense budget is more than twice Russia's and larger than China's.

100 Experience Points

Ethnic group
    East Prusa

Quote Originally Posted by MrMed View Post
    Okay, first of all the Russian Federation right now has way way less poverty in their cities than the US does by fact. Also, the US does not own the competition because the fact the matter is that Russia is the largest country on Earth and a country can invade but will never be able to hold it because no country can keep that much space under control and the Russian military by far has one of the best and most grusome military basic trainings in the world and they the the worlds most elite fighting forces the VDV Paratroopers and the Spetsnaz. But luckily right now the US and Russian Federation are getting along and doing better than ever and are doing air mission training, anti terrorism exercises, and ground force exercises as well.

Here are mine;

1. United States

Big Gap Here

2. Russia

Big Gap Here

3. China

4. India

5. United Kingdom

6. France

7. Germany

8. Japan

9. Brazil

10. Pakistan

Obviously United States owns the competition. No military comes close anymore. Russia obviously comes next, with a large geographic size, okay population, and high tech weapons from the old Soviet Union (although their poverty is bringing them down).

China and India come next with the largest populations and one of the largest land areas. China has the largest overall armed forces, India has the second largest overall armed forces.

United Kingdom and France comes next with technology (especially Britain's special forces) as good as Russia, maybe even better. Their small size and population keeps them a BIT lower than the other Eurasian giants.

Germany and Japan (especially Japan) has had a lot of international pressure against military build-up but they still have one of the best armed forces. Germany has some of the finest tank forces in the world. Japan still has a power navy, although it has decreased quite a bit since WWII.

I wasn't sure who would come next but after some thinking Brazil seems powerful enough. It has a large geographic size and population and their armed forces are pretty big too. They also have a pretty large economy to make up for anything else. Pakistan would come next, with a pretty large military. They have also developed nukes (this list doesn't focus much on nukes but it deserves a mention in this case none the less).

What are your top 10?
    [/QUOTE]

How do you account for Russia having so much trouble with Georgia? Have you read the stories of Russia having to gang pressed to fill there military numbers? Which countries can Russia count on in a conflict?

http://www.globalfirepower.com/ -as the name suggest [sry cant post links yet :<]
    http://nationranking.wordpress.com/2011/03/06/2011-npi/ - national power index. Note that theres a joint Eu included down in this page.
    Now, theres a term "overkill capacity" which basically is how many times can i destroy the whole Earth with my nukes. Overkill capacity of 1 was reached in 50s or 60s, cant remember exactly.
    The problem with the nuke is that sooner or later the someone inappropriate(mad!) is gonna lay hands on it, therefore a antinuclear missile shield would be a good thing to have ( thanks Obama for abandoning the plans).
    @Circe. You dont use the grenade but no one severely attacks you either.

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Quote Originally Posted by ancient View Post
    Unless you are a suicide bomber...
    Be wary of people who tend to glorify the past, underestimate the present, and demonize the future.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-m223
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H64

Ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    The 27 EU nations are more than a match for a conflict with either Russia or China. Their defense budget is more than twice Russia's and larger than China's.
    No national unity, chain of command, little actual interest from individual member states, disparate languages amongst the members of the military, member states accustomed to little participation in war (excluding the UK)...

I would trust more in the British and Germany militaries alone than in the pell-mell confederation of Europe as a whole.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-m223
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H64

Ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by LeBrok View Post
    Unless you are a suicide bomber...
    Insurgent tactics only work on weak, civilized people, unwilling to win wars without conscience. See how the Zealots (the original suicide bombers) fared against the Romans.

All modern militaries, with the exception of China and potentially some aspects of Russia, are hamstringed by internationalist moral concerns. The US would never flatten a country absent a nuclear strike.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-m223
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H64

Ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by ancient View Post
    http://www.globalfirepower.com/ -as the name suggest [sry cant post links yet :<]
    http://nationranking.wordpress.com/2011/03/06/2011-npi/ - national power index. Note that theres a joint Eu included down in this page.
    Now, theres a term "overkill capacity" which basically is how many times can i destroy the whole Earth with my nukes. Overkill capacity of 1 was reached in 50s or 60s, cant remember exactly.
    The problem with the nuke is that sooner or later the someone inappropriate(mad!) is gonna lay hands on it, therefore a antinuclear missile shield would be a good thing to have ( thanks Obama for abandoning the plans).
    A small nuclear stockpile wouldn't be sufficient to really hurt the US. The US is too big and their targets too spread out to be hit by a stockpile of one or two devices. MOreover, if they used it on the US, they can be sure that they will be annihilated. US policy is to respond to all nuclear attacks with annihilation of the country.

Say if Iran launched a nuke on US forces. The Iranian plateau would be the largest open market for land on the cheap a year later.

100 Experience Points

Ethnic group
    East Prusa

Quote Originally Posted by JFWR View Post
    No national unity, chain of command, little actual interest from individual member states, disparate languages amongst the members of the military, member states accustomed to little participation in war (excluding the UK)...

I would trust more in the British and Germany militaries alone than in the pell-mell confederation of Europe as a whole.
    I agree the union of european countries has never had their resolve tested but isn't that saying something in itself? Their common foe Russia has never attracted any of there countries and has exhibited anger over Finland's leaning toward NATO, same with Georgia and the Ukrain. if a conflict did break out I feel certain Russia would be the aggressor and the EU would stand together.

Level

Insurgent tactics only work on weak, civilized people, unwilling to win wars without conscience. See how the Zealots (the original suicide bombers) fared against the Romans.

All modern militaries, with the exception of China and potentially some aspects of Russia, are hamstringed by internationalist moral concerns. The US would never flatten a country absent a nuclear strike.
    The US is not so much worried about a ICBM but a device in the back of a U Haul truck or the trunk of an automobile

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-m223
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H64

Ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    I agree the union of european countries has never had their resolve tested but isn't that saying something in itself? Their common foe Russia has never attracted any of there countries and has exhibited anger over Finland's leaning toward NATO, same with Georgia and the Ukrain. if a conflict did break out I feel certain Russia would be the aggressor and the EU would stand together.
    I don't think so. Most Europeans are ill-inclined to war to begin with, and unless the Russians were rushing the borders of European countries with tank columns, they might just try endless bouts of "diplomacy".

Consider how weak Europe's "objections" to Russian aggression has been in the past.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-m223
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H64

Ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by Old A 6 Driver View Post
    The US is not so much worried about a ICBM but a device in the back of a U Haul truck or the trunk of an automobile
    Yes. Which is why Iran is such a threat if they do get nuclear weapons, or if Pakistan were to completely fall to the Islamists. The justified fear here is that these countries would then give those weapons to terrorists who could attack with the methods you mentioned.

However, I do believe that if anything of that sort ever happened to the US, the result would be the destruction of several Islamic states in retaliation. Iran, for instance, would be destroyed.

Level

Yes. Which is why Iran is such a threat if they do get nuclear weapons, or if Pakistan were to completely fall to the Islamists. The justified fear here is that these countries would then give those weapons to terrorists who could attack with the methods you mentioned.

However, I do believe that if anything of that sort ever happened to the US, the result would be the destruction of several Islamic states in retaliation. Iran, for instance, would be destroyed.
    They very well may be the end result, but damm, I hate to think of NYC or similar with 13 plus million people dead/dying/injured to provoke the retaliation

I wish I were wise enough to see the answer, I have seen war and even though it was from at altitude, I was privy to our BDA's and it was ugly, very very ugly

There are no winners in war

3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 29

Helo

My frnds wars r not fought with weapons its still the man behind the gun theory. If it were to be fought with weapons and technology America wld hv won a long time ago in Afghanistan. But they r still fighting a lost cause.

And now fr u guys who r concerned with Pakistan nuclear weapons dont worry abt it cause its in safe hands. As Pakistan has one of the best military in the world which was proved when we won the cambrian patrol defeating US and the european countries. So dont wry these nukes wont be getting in the wrong hands fr all of whom u r concerned so badly.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast