Ex Smokers, politicos, and Vegetarians...

Mycernius said:
All religions brainwash. Why do you think Muslims strap bombs on themselves? It is usually the extremists that like to brainwash, after all you can't have people question them.
Religions don't brainwash. Once you have crossed that line, you are no longer a religion, but something far more insidious. Brainwashing refers to a coercive technique or set of systematic techniques that usually incorporate torture, sleep deprivation, and other deprivements and intense psychological manipulations that break down the autonomy and thought processing of an individual. To apply such a term to loving, caring parents raising children in good conscience in unconscionable. So far two people on this forum have applied this term to a group to which I am a member and I am offended by this.

When I hear brainwashing, I imagine some Communists or otherwise holding you in a cell that looks like an interrogation room showing you endless propaganda and pumping you full of MADs.

How about communists that threaten to beat you unless you clean up that disaster area you call a bedroom?

Do you think everyone else knows that we are sitting in the SAME room!

If I was going to brainwash him, it would be to get him to clean his room and do his homework. Now where are those torture tongs and hoses?????

Mycernius said:
Jim Jones, Heavens Gate, JWs, Branch dravidians, Movement for the restoration of the ten commandments of God. All call or called themselves Christian.
And all were obviously not Christians. You can call yourself whatever you want, but if you use coercive methods and brainwashing you are clearly a cult.

Yep, he got that right. We bring through faith, not brainwashing, that's against the Bible.

Didn't early Christianity start out as a Jewish cult? ;)
Brainwashing of any sort happens as you go through life. When you sit in church a preacher will mention heaven and hell. Eternal reward or eternal damnation. If you believe in heaven or hell what are you going to go for. The man, or woman, in the pulpit is using threats of your afterlife to make you believe in the churches doctrine.
sabro said:
Brainwashing refers to a coercive technique
That is what a preacher is doing, same as an atheist is doing when not listening to your point of view. A hardened *insert faith here* is not going to listen to you. From what Macimo has mentioned in his posts it sounds like he attended a Jesuit school where questioning was not allowed. A case of "You will believe or suffer damnation". There are many faith schools where that does happen. Anyone who has been subjected to that will have a strong reaction to faith teachings, whether is was beaten into them, figuratively or literally, to believe. They either end up as extreme believers or extreme non-believers. Fear is the key to any coercive technique, whether it uses psychological techniques or physical. Overcome that fear and that is when you can freely choose.

On the room. Give the young wippersnapper a slap and no dessert.
Kids today, no respect for their elders and I fought the war for you

Today is his graduation party (from Middle school to high school.)

Like I said earlier... If I were going to brainwash him, it wouldn't have anything to do with God, it would be to clean his room and get straight A's!

Ha! I will never do both! They require too much work. If there was a teacher who only lectured without giving assignments and gave me tests, or never gave me homework, I'd be fine. Schoolwork is easy to, however, homework is harder due to the part where I forget.

This thread has been viewed 25686 times.

Back