It`s hot!

Reaction score
Ethnic group
The primordial soup
Man, I am sweating here. We`ve made a pledge to not use the AC often this year and have been doing realy well at keeping that pledge. But, the heat is brutal -- and it is only June 20th.

I hope we can at least hold off in using it until July.

Hot hot hot.

I understand the ACs aren't good for the environment, but I'm not clear just to the specifics as to the why.

Generally, we use ACs when students come over, or just before I go to work (coming to work sweaty, and later having bad BO isn't good). Otherwise, we decided long ago not to use the AC at home. Besides, if I don't have to work, I find the heat quite comfortable (the first year here was brutal, but after six years here, I think I've gotten quite acclimatized (sp?).

BTW, the apostrophe on the Japanese keyboard is on the number 7 key. I've got a years worth of posts using this "it`s, I`m, etc" rather than "it's, I'm, etc."

Posters on other boards got annoyed reading my posts, not due to what I was saying (mostly not), but rather with the apostrophe. Some promised to ship me an English keyboard.

My AC's not even plugged in right now. So far I've only used it once this year, but I used the dehumidifier option only, as I wanted to dry my laundry, but it just wouldn't stop raining!

The longer I live on this Earth, the more I don't like AC, mostly because I've noticed a tendency for most people to turn it up WAY too high! It's like walking into a freezer sometimes, I swear!

Revenant said:
BTW, the apostrophe on the Japanese keyboard is on the number 7 key. I've got a years worth of posts using this "it`s, I`m, etc" rather than "it's, I'm, etc."

I know, Revenant! The apostrophe sucks being on the #7 position. I have just never trained myself to use it though (but at times I force myself to), because it slows my typing down considerably to be concious of it there. So, the accent mark is always used by me, since that is where a normal apostrophe should be.

But, you are the first I have met who has right off the bat understood why I use the accent mark.

I don't have any AC :( And it's also getting hot here.

It's been very hot since last week here.:atsui:

Still holding out on using the AC. It's hot, but we have so many fans in our house that it sounds like a wind tunnel experiment for General Dynamics Corporation.

But, going to the ER last night for six hours was a cooling down experience. I almost didn`t want to leave and come back to heat hell here.

Ohhhhh, the heat is killing me. I can barely sit at the computer for 5 mins just to check e-mail.

But, yesterday I bought a monster size fan -- factory size: 400w power ($200). Just assembled it today and when I turned it on it turned our bedroom into a Boeing wind test tunnel. This thing is huge. Almost one meter in diameter!

Stuck it right in front of the window and it is sending all that outside cool air into the bedroom. Aimed right at our bed. Looking forward to a cold shower in about 30 mins and laying under The BEAST.

Here it is, and to my surprise the girl in work out clothes came with it. She just popped out of the box and stands in front of the fan the whole time telling me how hot she is. The BEAST is keeping her cool. Hope my wife doesn`t mind her standing there as we sleep.

fan-girl.jpg

Here in Shinshu. . .? Well, we just don't need the things, basically. Of course AC is used at the uni's main buildings and in the larger classrooms, but some of the older, smaller rooms don't have one. In my office I do, but only use it when the zemi students come for their class, and want it on.

At the house, we never have, and probably never will use one. I love heat. I love the Arizona desert. I went out and dug most of the day yesterday, all sweating, no shirt, bandana hanging against the back of my neck from under a straw hat. . . and boy, don't you know that brew I popped from the outside fridge just put me in heaven !! I love the heat...(but could do without the humidity.)

Awake from my first night with the glorious Beast! Man, the Beast blew hard! And the sweetness of it kept me smiling all night.

Coooooool breeze thanks to the Beast!

But the lady who popped out of the box just keeps standing there.

strongvoicesforward said:
Ohhhhh, the heat is killing me. I can barely sit at the computer for 5 mins just to check e-mail.
But, yesterday I bought a monster size fan -- factory size: 400w power ($200). Just assembled it today and when I turned it on it turned our bedroom into a Boeing wind test tunnel. This thing is huge. Almost one meter in diameter!
Stuck it right in front of the window and it is sending all that outside cool air into the bedroom. Aimed right at our bed. Looking forward to a cold shower in about 30 mins and laying under The BEAST.
Here it is, and to my surprise the girl in work out clothes came with it. She just popped out of the box and stands in front of the fan the whole time telling me how hot she is. The BEAST is keeping her cool. Hope my wife doesn`t mind her standing there as we sleep.
fan-girl.jpg

What I want to know is .....

"What the he11 is my wife doing in your room!?!?!?!?"

(I suppose she's just following one of her fans ...........)

?W????

Your wife, John? I`m not sure about that, but...

Just a few minutes ago I asked her why she is still here. She said, while holding the long hard erect shaft of the fan, that her job was to make sure that the Beast blew hard and properly.

I guess that gives new meaning to the word, "blow job."

But the wind is glorious to sleep within its full fury.

Oh God! ..... she's at it again!

Has she proposed "the whips" yet? The high heeled fishing boots? ... The barbed wire garter belt ..... ?

Take care, dear friend, take care!

?W????

oh...the heat!

I am thinking of getting two more Beasts -- one for the living room and possibly one for the computer room. As it is, after a few minutes, sitting at the computer the heat from the computer is mixing with the heat which is emenating out from the concrete walls of our house. I can`t bear to sit here more than 5 or 10 mins -- hence no posts on serious topics or religion.

Hot!

Off to walk the dog and then sleep under the windy breath of the bedroom Beast. I hear the turbo fan whooooping away. It beckons me to its cool blistering power.

Oh man! Today was 32 degrees C. and tomorrow is supposed to hit 33 C.

I hope there is one more Beast fan at the store. Thought I could get by with just one for the bedroom, but am almost sure I won`t make it through the summer without one in the living room, too.

The heat continues and seems to be getting to some people.

I got a second Beast!

Put it right in front of the veranda door and now it, too, like my bedroom Beast, is pouring lots of cool outside air into our house. Oh, so cool!

How is it in Europe now? Hot?

Here it is Hot and humid. Sticky sticky sticky. Is it just hot over there, or is it sticky humid, too?

Hmm, why exactly is a fan better for the environment than an air conditioner?

I always thought the problem was how much electrcity they used, and therefore, how much pollution the power plants let out to generate that electricity--I don't think a fan would be much better, perhaps even worse, if they are less efficient than the AC system.

I seem to recall there being a problem with air conditioners giving off cfc's or some such thing a long time ago--but I also recall that new regulations were passed to ban air conditioners and other products (like certain types of spray cans) that had that problem, maybe Japan hasn't done that yet?

At anyrate, I never use air conditioning anyway--I've never really understood the need for it.

If it's too hot, wear cooler clothing, or drink something cold, or go swimming or something--if it's unbearably hot and you have no way to cope with the heat other than changing the temperature in an entire room or building, then perhaps that area isn't fit for human habitation.

Same goes for when it's too cold, I know adapting to harsh environments is one of our species hallmarks, but sometimes we take it too far. :D

Besides, there probably wouldn't be such a problem with overpopulation if we didn't try to live on every square inch of the planet's surface. :rolleyes:

Reiku said:
Hmm, why exactly is a fan better for the environment than an air conditioner?

I always thought the problem was how much electrcity they used, and therefore, how much pollution the power plants let out to generate that electricity--I don't think a fan would be much better, perhaps even worse, if they are less efficient than the AC system.

Good point, except a small sized AC here for just one room is usually 1000w. The larger ones installed in larger rooms are 1200 ~ approx 1500w.

Fans are considerably less wattage (The Beast is 400w) and placed in the right places at windows and doors, they can generate enough air movement to make the summer heat quite bearable.

I guess the best for the environment would be to go completely without -- for those who can bear it. For those who cannot, the fan choice, rather that the AC choice, is the next best thing for the environment.

The Beast is blowing hard here and the wattage is low.

It was 35 here yesterday, which is pretty hot for the UK. The building I work in doesn't have any air conditioning, so it was even hotter in there. :souka: The fans just blew warm air around! Phew! It's good when you can get a cool sea breeze, or go for a swim in a cool pool, but generally I am nowhere near the sea where I live. :( It's difficult to work... it's too hot to do anything.

This thread has been viewed 20904 times.

Back