How much of Dixie do you have in your speech?

misa.j

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Asian
I found this test listening to NPR yesterday. It's just a fun test to find out how much of the Southern accent or phrases you use in your speech.

I have been amazed how many different accents there are in English.

My result was 20% Dixie, and I'm a Duke of Yankeedom!:D
http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/yankeetest.html

It rated me as 27% Yankee Doodle Dandy, which is rather odd as I couldn't answer some of the questions.
For example: Gym shoes are usually called trainers in the UK, though I have heard the term sneakers.
The road next to an interstate, which is like a motorway in the UK, we call it the Hard Shoulder

Oddly enough, 50% yankee, despite having spent my entire life in So Cal and having some relatively heavy Nor Cal influences. I guess the term ya'll got me.

I heard the same NPR story. Interesting. But, the author of the test said that the findings are not accurate for people living west of Ohio. From Indiana on the migrations of people became too mixed.

The NPR interviewer took the test and the results were not anything the author had expected. Then the author asked the interviewer where he was from. When he responded with Indiana, the author explained in more detail about the Ohio/Indiana border for accuracy.

As a Brit who used to live around the Great Lakes, it came as no surprise to me that I'm "definitely a Yankee".

....but..."Throwing toilet paper over a house"? :rolleyes: :nuts:

...What else do you folks do for fun? !!!!

?W????

I think this test sucks ! I got "35% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee", yet according to each explanation, I am quite biased toward New England/North-East or use US-wide terms.

Sensuikan San said:
....but..."Throwing toilet paper over a house"? :rolleyes: :nuts:
...What else do you folks do for fun? !!!!

I was also wondering if that was an idiomatic expression used only by Americans. :rolleyes: Does anybody know (of) anyone who has ever done that ? :blush:

TPing happens all the time around here- although an act of affection, it is quite difficult to clean up... toilet paper and pine trees don't mix well.

It put me at 61%, but I did notice some hard ones that could have been either way.

Of course I did grow up in Northern Alabama, but as others have mentioned above, the test does seem to likely have a wide error margin.

BUT it was fun. MM

sabro said:
TPing happens all the time around here- although an act of affection, it is quite difficult to clean up... toilet paper and pine trees don't mix well.

What is the purpose of it ?

Here we TP a house when somebody turns 18 years old :)

I found this test very difficult to take, as I generally use more than one term for each question on the test. For example, I say both crayfish and crawdad almost equally as often, and I say caramel with 2 or 3 syllables depending on whether I'm saying it alone or as part of a compound noun (such as caramel apple).

"100% Dixie; Is General Lee your grandfather?"
Makes sense, since I'm from southern Arkansas.

"96% Dixie. Is General Lee your grandfather?!"

Grew up in North Carolina.

43% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom.

So which state suits me best?

This thread has been viewed 17290 times.

Back