Spain's Blood Sport Culture of Bullfighting

A man has been paralyzed during this year`s Running of the Bulls several days ago.

My thought on that: Good!

you are twisted and sick as shit...... you need your head examined.

Another mistake people often make these spokesmen are claiming the animals and "animal rights" forget it! is to use the word torture, if any look in the dictionary meaning of the word torture will notice that you can not relate to bullfighting.

No and I won't. But I have heard of it and I still say, regardless of what type of animal is slaughtered in such a cruel way, how can a human being so totally and cruelly torture a helpless animal or even work in such a place performing deeds like that is beyond my comprehension. Does not the person feel any compassion at all for the animal and their feelings?
Why do they show these things at school.
Other thing is that, does the bull see it as sport

Not tied to the bull and tortures, the bull is free in the square and can kill, it's stupid to say that is torture. Cruel?? possible, but it is also cruel to have a frozen calf being fattened until it kills to eat and so many cruel things in the world unable to escape or defend themselves.

The bullfighting is NOT a sport, the Spaniards found it absurd that the catalog as a sport, as absurd as going to see Swan Lake and think you're watching a sporting event.

Who does not like to not look, and take to the affairs of their countries there are many truly evil aspects.

The lives of two bovine one of the Friesian breed and "el toro bravo" used in Spain for the bullfights, see and compare the difference.

Sierra de Grazalema (Cadiz Andalucia) the closest source I know of my mitochondrial DNA.

Sierra de Grazalema (Cadiz Andalucia) the closest source I know of my mitochondrial DNA.

Carlos, that was really beautiful. I love these time lapse videos. It was a treat to watch it as I drank my morning coffee.

As for bullfighting, I wouldn't take the overwrought reactions of some foreigners so seriously. They should focus on the treatment of animals in their own culture. No one forces them to go and watch it.

As for me, I once spent four days in Pamplona during the festival of San Fermin. (It was partly an homage to Hemingway, and partly because we were told it was a big party! :)) I went to the running of the bulls and then to the bullfight every day. I would never be an aficionado, but I didn't find it totally horrifying either, not like cock fights or, God forbid, dog fights. Here, it's the man against the beast, and all he has is his cape and a sword. Yes, I saw the picadors, but still, the contest seemed pretty fair to me. I was told, I don't know how true it is, that the bulls are especially bred for ferocity and aggression. Certainly, if the matadors didn't get in very close and personal, the booing was deafening.

My strongest memory is of an old country man sitting beside me sharing chorizo and some wine from his wineskin with me. That, and the fact that when some hapless tourist who decided to run with the bulls changed his mind and tried to climb the barricades, my new friend pried his hands loose and tossed him back in...they take it very seriously.

People in some western societies are far too removed from the world of the farmyard in my opinion, and are unduly sentimental about some animals. These are the kind of people who make little moues of disapproval when I order rabbit in a local Portuguese restaurant. I, in fact, arrange to go there specifically on the days when they offer it. These people should have been around when my grandmother whacked them on the head, or when she wrung the necks of the chickens. Now that bothered me when I was little, and like my mother before me, I always managed and still manage to have urgent business elsewhere when the hogs are going to be butchered. Hypocritical on the part of someone who so loves cured pork products and sausage, but there it is.

Last edited:
Glad that you liked the video Grazalema Natural Park.

Is in vogue to speak of animal rights is absurd, if animals have rights how do fulfill their obligations? lost there too anthropomorphic. Another thing is to ensure the welfare of animals, and it would be wonderful not to have to kill animals to eat, it's cruel, but the world in which we live is full of injustice or unpleasant but laudable for our way of life situations. Particularly in the case of Spanish bulls are with the paradox that the mother almost to the year is given, and live in a state of semi-freedom for 5 years Any sign Friesian bull! Many bulls in bullfights are pardoned and die of old age in a state of semi-freedom and those who die in the square die with more dignity than in a slaughterhouse, and also have the possibility of killing, it is strange but true.

Andalusian horse the moore beauty of the world.

Intérprete: Isabel Pantoja.

Opinions of foreign tourists who have seen a bullfight for the first time.

Opinions of foreign tourists who have seen a bullfight for the first time.

l
Meanwhile, in some of the countries from which these people come they torture people far worse than this, yet here a bull getting killed bothers them. If they're not vegetarians, do you know how many cattle were killed per year to feed them?

Plus, you have to be criminally stupid to not know that a bullfight is a "FIGHT" between a man and a bull. The only part that I think is unfair is the picadors. If the man wants to engage in this primordial, almost religious right, then don't weaken the bull.

Do some freaking research people, use your damn phone and google bullfight, and if you don't think you'll like it, don't go.

^^
Apparently the luck of itching is not to weaken the bull is rather a genetic test. In that act it will be seen if the bull has the caste that is presumed and a good specimen has to show to the being bitten that it is of caste, bravo and that enviste to those heights of the bullfight. It must be a crucial moment where you will see the work of selecting the livestock to which the horse belongs.

http://www.opinionytoros.com/opinionytoros.php?Id=2638

Dbn1BiqXcAEujfA.jpg

I am totally against bullfights but then I am against zoos or having exotic animals as pets. Am not against eating animals I just don't want them tortured or locked up in zoos.

Long live the corrida! I deeply admire toreros. And I find it a shame that those old traditions should be questioned by city people who have never seen a cow up close, let alone touched one. Those urban activists are the theoreticians of a fantasized form of ecology. Worse, most of them are fanatics and extremists in their own way. And utterly ignorant of the realities of country life.

They are the same kind of people who unconditionally condemn hunting, unaware of the devastation that uncontrolled animal populations can wreak on the environment, in a world where natural predators have disappeared. In some mountainous areas of southern France, hunters shoot wild hogs dead... and leave them there, because there are so many of them that no-one knows what to do with the meat any more. Local fridges are all full up, so are the fridges of friends, and of friends of friends. Urban people do not realize that the alternative to this form of regulation is the large-scale poisoning of the supernumerary animals by state-employed wardens.

In less densely populated areas, wild hogs multiply exponentially. They tear up the soil of cultivated fields to such extent that no crop is left. The farmers lose their revenue, and have to be compensated on public money. In my own forests, the roe-deer peel off the bark of hundreds of seedlings I just planted, seedlings which are in fact the future of those very forests where city-people so much enjoy strolling at the week-end.

I grew up on a farm. I had to kill not only rabbits or chickens, but also sick old horses, dogs, or cows, in days when there was no public service to take them to the slaughterhouse. I had to dig holes and bury the corpses. I had to quarter homegrown pigs after they had been bled. I had to stick my arm full length into the bellies of cows to turn calves the right way at delivery time when they were the wrong way up in their mothers' wombs. It's all part and parcel of the "country package". How could soft-hearted urbanites be aware of such things? They were not raised to "stomach" them. But still, they feel entitled to meddle, judge, moralize, stigmatize, condemn, and decide in the place of people who get their hands dirty trying to keep their world in order.

I keep hounds. I hunt the roe-deer and the wild hog. I'll hunt the activists if I have to, to teach them to live and let live, and to live and let die. Long live the corrida!

I am totally against bullfights but then I am against zoos or having exotic animals as pets. Am not against eating animals I just don't want them tortured or locked up in zoos.

Same here. I abhor corrida. To me there's a difference between killing an animal to eat it (out of necessity) and killing for "sport", fun or to honor some "tradition". Not my thing.

The same is happening in Spain with urban activists who do not know the countryside or life in rural areas and intend to decide. The other day someone in Spain published an article whose title was something like: We live in a time when dogs are adopted and parents are abandoned.

Rural areas have already begun to manifest themselves to protect their way of life, where hunting comes in the face of the threat of urban activists who do not know the environment or live in reality, a scourge that must be protected before it becomes too much. late.

fotonoticia_20180415150606_640.jpg

58.jpg

Long live the corrida! I deeply admire toreros. And I find it a shame that those old traditions should be questioned by city people who have never seen a cow up close, let alone touched one. Those urban activists are the theoreticians of a fantasized form of ecology. Worse, most of them are fanatics and extremists in their own way. And utterly ignorant of the realities of country life.

They are the same kind of people who unconditionally condemn hunting, unaware of the devastation that uncontrolled animal populations can wreak on the environment, in a world where natural predators have disappeared. In some mountainous areas of southern France, hunters shoot wild hogs dead... and leave them there, because there are so many of them that no-one knows what to do with the meat any more. Local fridges are all full up, so are the fridges of friends, and of friends of friends. Urban people do not realize that the alternative to this form of regulation is the large-scale poisoning of the supernumerary animals by state-employed wardens.

In less densely populated areas, wild hogs multiply exponentially. They tear up the soil of cultivated fields to such extent that no crop is left. The farmers lose their revenue, and have to be compensated on public money. In my own forests, the roe-deer peel off the bark of hundreds of seedlings I just planted, seedlings which are in fact the future of those very forests where city-people so much enjoy strolling at the week-end.

I grew up on a farm. I had to kill not only rabbits or chickens, but also sick old horses, dogs, or cows, in days when there was no public service to take them to the slaughterhouse. I had to dig holes and bury the corpses. I had to quarter homegrown pigs after they had been bled. I had to stick my arm full length into the bellies of cows to turn calves the right way at delivery time when they were the wrong way up in their mothers' wombs. It's all part and parcel of the "country package". How could soft-hearted urbanites be aware of such things? They were not raised to "stomach" them. But still, they feel entitled to meddle, judge, moralize, stigmatize, condemn, and decide in the place of people who get their hands dirty trying to keep their world in order.

I keep hounds. I hunt the roe-deer and the wild hog. I'll hunt the activists if I have to, to teach them to live and let live, and to live and let die. Long live the corrida!

Well, I'm not an aficionado of the corrida, but it's not my country or my business, and as I said upthread I don't think what the bull goes through is any more torturous than conditions in most slaughter houses. At least he's raised humanely, dies in the open air, and is fighting back. In addition, a good torrero is a wonder to be hold. It's a magnificent spectacle and a spiritual rite in a sense.

Fwiw, the meat of the bulls who die in the arena is given to the poor.

I mean, where is this going to end? No more horse racing? Dog racing?

As for the rest of your post I completely agree. Most of these PETA people have no clue what real "conservation" and keeping the biosphere healthy means. Even with deer, they have to be culled or they'll starve to death when the population gets too large. If they were depending on their chicken coops for their protein, and their crops for most of the rest of their life-giving nutrition, I'm sure they'd change their minds about keeping down the population of foxes and wild boar.

Long live pappardelle with wild boar sauce. :)

pappardelle-al-cinghiale.jpg

Be careful hunting them: make sure you have the right gun and are a good shot, because they're deadly fast and vicious.

Hunting deer to cull the deer population since we have killed all the wolves that did that for us is one thing. Corrida is another. Slaughterhouses in the US kill cows/bulls humanely. Feedlots on the other hand are the devil's work.

BTW I was raised on a farm until I was 12 and then in the summers until 19yo. I have shoveled enough cow poop to last me a lifetime. I have killed chicken and rabbits for food and I have castrated hogs. Let's just say that the castration was the most barbaric thing that I have ever done/witnessed. They would holler for days. I just wish it was done more humanely.

I think the bulls should be given better odds, maybe chain the Matador to a canon ball, or a 'bullring' in the centre.

I think the bulls should be given better odds, maybe chain the Matador to a canon ball, or a 'bullring' in the centre.

Chaining the bullfighter would be torture and the bullfighting has nothing to do with torture. Anyway, the bull has two good defense reasons.

9c9eea445c9c7abc43038260ae39a764.jpg

Weight average value 300kg ♀ - 500 kg ♂

You have to be very brave to get in front of that, I would not do it.

The fighting bull, also called brave bull, designates the male specimens of a heterogeneous bovine population1 developed, selected, and bred for use in different bullfighting shows, such as bullfights or bullies. They come from the autochthonous races of the Iberian peninsula, known as «Iberian trunk», which from time immemorial propitiated the most primitive forms of bullfighting. It is characterized by atavistic instincts of defense and temperamental, which are synthesized in the so-called "bravery", as well as physical attributes such as large forward horns and a powerful locomotor apparatus.

Casta Navarre: The Navarrese bulls, today nonexistent as such, were sierra bulls, small in size, with a bronco and chaste marked temperament that made up for their lack of showiness with aggressiveness and bravery.

Casta jijona: Recognizable for its many red hair specimens. Still today the animals of this coat are called jijones bulls.

Castilian or morucha-castellana caste: Big and hard bulls to fight.

Andalusian breed: According to José María de Cossío, it should occupy the first place in consideration for having been the one that has achieved the prototype and epitome of the fighting bull or fighting bull.

Casta cabrera: Large, long and agalgado body, with very developed defenses, from which come, among others, the specimens of Miura.

Casta vazqueña: Founded around 1780 by Don Gregorio Vázquez, gathering the best examples of Castilian and Andalusian herds. Acquired by King Fernando VII and, later, by the Duke of Veragua.

Casta vistahermosa: Founded by the Count of Vistahermosa in 1772, the breed from which most of the cattle that are currently struggling come from.

Casta Atanasio-Fernández: Bulls with large head, wide and with the antlers directed upwards, have a broad chest, a long and thick tail. Currently there are very few copies, it can be considered that it is in danger of disappearing.

Zoo interest

Unlike most breeds of domestic livestock, fighting bulls present a series of physical and temperamental characteristics more typical of a wild bovid, also highlighting the genetic information provided by its Y chromosome, which makes this breed unique. This should not be strange if one takes into account that when developing these breeds the breeders never intended to promote things such as increased production of meat and milk or a meekness and absence of stressed horns to make animals more manageable to human treatment , but simply sought to preserve (and even slightly enhance) a behavior somewhat more violent than normal that would make the animal more prone to the attack and therefore the bullfighting show. Certain authors such as the Dutchman Cis van Vuure have pointed out several coincidences in the body structure and common coloration of the fighting bull with those possessed by the now extinct European wild bull or uro, from which it differs for little more than its smaller size and length of horns During his life in semi-freedom in the dehesas, the fighting bull also maintains similar customs to those of a wild animal, forming herds, defending himself from possible dangers and performing an incalculable task in the middle.

More information here. For Spanish themes, wikipedia or Hispanic press. You will never go to bed without knowing something else.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toro_de_lidia

This thread has been viewed 997817 times.

Back