Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: French wedding uses confetti made from euro banknotes

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Red face French wedding uses confetti made from euro banknotes

The silly season has arrived !

BBC News : Euro confetti sparks French row

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    A lavish wedding in a French town which saw the happy couple showered in confetti made from shredded euro notes has caused outrage.

Residents of the southern town of Sete were up in arms after the bride and groom were covered in confetti made from 5, 10, 20 and 50 euro notes.

They also lodged a formal complaint, as destruction of banknotes is a crime.

But according to reports, the money was worthless - the euros were defective and bound for the incinerator.
    However the outrage was more caused by envy, one of the most common and infamous French "sin"* :

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    "It's revolting that people have to see their minimum wage turned into confetti lying on the street," one member of the collective said.

The scandal-causing confetti was part of a lavish ceremony attended by more than 200 guests, which included a fireworks display costing more than 40,000 euros ($51,000), according to French newspaper Liberation.
    * I am saying that because people with money tend to be more respected than jealously "envied" in English-speaking countries (esp. USA) and East Asia (e.g. Japan, China...).
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Your Goddess is here Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    African American

But it was their money.
    “All right then, I’ll go to hell”―and tore it up. It was awful thoughts and awful words, but they was said. And I let them stay said; and never thought no more about reforming.
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

旅人 Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    european

If that was "real" money they'd be put in jail :) Destruction of money is by my knowledge still illegal.
    小豆研ぐか、人取ってくおか、ショキショキ〜♪
    Azuki togu ka, hito totte kuo ka, shoki shoki〜♪

Horizon Rider Achievements:
    1 year registered

As it was not valid, I think it's quite a good 'gimmick'.
    But if the money was valid, I would think 'what a waste'!

The Hairy Wookie Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 0%

Ethnic group
    English

What! the Euro is real money? No, someone is having you on. It's used in Monopoly isn't it?

旅人 Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    european

Hmm, I think you mean that ancient British pound I wonder when England will switch to Euro's

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by Ma Cherie
    But it was their money.
    If you mean by that that they have the right to waste their money the way thy want because it is theirs, quite a lot of French people would disagree.

I am sometimes amazed at the idealised social image of French or Belgian people; it may be some nostalgy from the French revolutionary values of equality and brotherhood, but some people really think that richer people should help the poorer ones within French/Belgian society. That is probably why both countries have high taxes and a trong social security system to redistribute wealth from the rich to the poor. This system is increasingly being criticised and losing popularity, but older generations still very much resent excessive wealth and the display of it.

It is the opposite of the US or Japan, where display of wealth results in respect and even awe, not criticism and ill-hearted jealousy, from poorer people. In the US, get an expensive fancy sports car and people will come to talk to you and want to be your friends. Do the same in France and it will end up being scratched by your envious neighbours during the night. In other words, in the US and Japan money brings you friends, while in France it brings you enemies.

Your Goddess is here Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    African American

I think I understand what you mean. Is being wealthy in French society a bad thing?

And about England switching to the Euro, how many British people are actually in favor of switching to the Euro? As of now, it doesn't seem like England has any plans of switching.

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

I think I understand what you mean. Is being wealthy in French society a bad thing?
    Not as long as you stick with people from the same socio-economic level (a bit like in the UK, but for different reasons). Wealth itself isn't regarded as bad, as long as you use it in a way that is deemed honourable or useful for society. French people wouldn't criticise Bill Gates for giving millions of euros to charity, but they would if he bought 10 ferraris... In this case, destroying money for fun was seen as an unacceptable use of money from people who lack it.

Horizon Rider Achievements:
    1 year registered

And about England switching to the Euro, how many British people are actually in favor of switching to the Euro? As of now, it doesn't seem like England has any plans of switching.
    I don't mind, I think the Euro would be good, to make things easier.
    Although, the drawback is, some stores use it as a chance to hike up prices and try and hide the raises behind a change of currency...

The Hairy Wookie Achievements:
    Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1

Ethnic group
    English

For switching to the Euro? Not very many. The government has always said it will hold a referendum on the currency change, but they know it will be a no vote. Plus Blair is for it, but the chancellor of the exchequer, Gordon Brown, is against it. And it is on his terms to say whether we are ready to join or not.
    Why not? Probably for several reasons. The main one being it is European and the British have always regarded themselves as slightly seperate from them. Might have something about being an island.
    Others are:
    The pound is currently very strong in economic terms. There is an idea that if we loose the pound that the Euro is not as strong as the pound, plus with Easten European countries joining and eventually wanting to switch their currencies to the euro, it will weaken it further.
    We have already changed our currency once, from pounds, shillings and pence to the decimal pounds and pence in 1971. People remembered how prices went up then and do not wish the same to happen again. Which it has in other countries that have changed to the Euro.
    There is also the fact in some european countries that have changed it has not been as popular as the politcians make out. There have been towns in Northern Italy that have had days when they used lira instead of Euros. The Germans weren't overly happy about losing the strong Mark to a weaker Euro. The French had three referendums until the government finally had the result they wanted. Believe me if the French had said no a third time they would still be having referendums until the government had the result it wanted, plus some slightly suspect dealing to make the French economy ready to change.

Seasonal Member Achievements:
    Level
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 760

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I am human
    MtDNA haplogroup
    I am human

Ethnic group
    I am citizen of the world, or you could call me Chiwanese

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    If you mean by that that they have the right to waste their money the way thy want because it is theirs, quite a lot of French people would disagree.
    I am sometimes amazed at the idealised social image of French or Belgian people; it may be some nostalgy from the French revolutionary values of equality and brotherhood, but some people really think that richer people should help the poorer ones within French/Belgian society. That is probably why both countries have high taxes and a trong social security system to redistribute wealth from the rich to the poor. This system is increasingly being criticised and losing popularity, but older generations still very much resent excessive wealth and the display of it.
    It is the opposite of the US or Japan, where display of wealth results in respect and even awe, not criticism and ill-hearted jealousy, from poorer people. In the US, get an expensive fancy sports car and people will come to talk to you and want to be your friends. Do the same in France and it will end up being scratched by your envious neighbours during the night. In other words, in the US and Japan money brings you friends, while in France it brings you enemies.
    So true, so true...you need to hide your wealth here or change your environment and socialize with higher class people...

In Australia it all depends on how you present yourself on the outside if you are well dressed using expensive branded items people come to you to be your friends…some even follow you around…I mean the Asians…for Aussies they just prefer slim people…

His Royal Highness Achievements:
    Three Friends1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Floridテゥ, Le Monde, Florida, The Earth, Florida, Die Erde
    Level
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 197

Ethnic group
    English, Northern Irish, Scottish, Norwegian, Danish, Dutch, French, Irish, Greek

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post

Yes, but those "friends" all really just want money, they are not real friends.