What is most important for you in a child's education ?

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Please rank the things you would teach your child(ren) in order of importance. Here is what I would teach them :

- develop the child's spatial and reasoning skills by making them play with Lego blocks, board games (chess, monopoly, stratego...) or other such games. This has to be done at an early age as after it is often too late.

- develop the child's sense of curiosity. Teach a child something and he will know it or may forget it. Teach a child to be curious and he will learn by him/herself and remember everything better.

- teach the child to speak properly (good accent, politeness, levels of formality, etc.), and behave properly (avoid shouting or running in public or in the presence of adults outside school, avoid spitting or throwing away chewing gums, etc., etc.).

- develop the child's critical sense. Teach the child to doubt the validity of the information received, analyse the content, reflect on the meaning and logic of what is being said, help them think by themselves, develop their own ideas and opinions, etc.

- teach the child about moral values. This can only be done after 6 or 7 years old, once the child understands better the nature of social relations and the concepts or right and wrong.

- good knowledge of geography. Knowing the world we live in is vital in the age of globalisation. What's more, it is embarassing when other people talk about a country, major city, geographic region or main river or mountain that you have never heard of. With the Internet, it is increasingly useful to know what language is spoken in different countries.

- good knowledge of world history. Essential to understand how the world became what it is now and historical ties or enmities between countries or regions (how else will our children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren understand what is going on in the Middle East when they hear about problems there on a daily basis on TV :D ). The history of science and social values can come later on, once the child has become a teenager and has more knowledge of sciences and more socio-political maturity.

- develop the child's vocabulary and linguistic skills. This is less important as it improves with time well into adulthood. Yet a good basis is always preferable.

Well, more or less I'm in accord with what you said. :)

Only except, for the first 2 points, they are kind of equal in importance for me for education of a child.

1. develop the child's spatial and reasoning skills
2. develop the child's sense of curiosity

They are both important, and I had always the impression that these things can be learned together, anyway - a child is more or less always learning in its early years, so I think these go hand in hand. I guess spatial and reasoning skills tend to use a specific part of the brain (mainly); as the synapses are more open across different parts of the brain in a child, I think the more different types of 'education' and stimuli a child is exposed to, the better, as it will help exercise and establish more connections in the brain at this early, important stage. :cool:

I can also say that I might be slightly biased on this, because no one ever paid any particular attention to developing my 'spatial and reasoning skills', although I did play with Lego and board games! :)

Additionally, I think that spatial ability/awareness and reasoning skills don't always go together; my mother for example has unusually poor spatial skills (which is why she is bad at drawing... XD) but very good reasoning skills. (Maybe this is unusual; I wouldn't know. ^^)

3. teach the child to speak properly and behave properly
Agreed, it's important.
I would also put high up here, more generally, 'language skills', in a less specific way than your point on 'vocabulary and linguistic skills'. Well, to me, 'vocabulary' implies that the kid already has a small amount of language skill, on which the vocab can be built :) and 'linguistic skills' would refer to refining their language use. But I think that language skills of talking and reading come high up in importance.

Of course, not every child is quick to learn talking or reading, I understand that. Each child will develop at its own rate, but its rate will be faster if someone is making an effort to teach it. :relief:

Again, personal bias (I've only experienced my own childhood, oddly enough! XD) - I learned to both talk and read unusually early, and I do feel that it's stood me in very good stead throughout my life. I think that this was caused by my parents talking to me a lot (not using baby language), and reading to me a lot (my brain might be 'wired' in a particular way for all I know, but afaik it's nothing special! o_O).

If a kid struggles with reading, that often stays with them throughout their life and they retain the memory, subconsciously, of it being an unpleasant experience - a great shame because a lot of learning and 'self education' (XD) later on in life comes through reading.

4. develop the child's critical sense.
5. teach the child about moral values.
6. good knowledge of geography.
7. good knowledge of world history.
8. develop the child's vocabulary and linguistic skills.

Yup, all important stuff to learn. :cool:

"doubt the validity of the information received, analyse the content, reflect on the meaning and logic of what is being said" ......... Kids often seem to have a good instinct at that!... :giggle: kids don't have as many preconceived ideas as adults do... things are still new for them. (Hmm - maybe I took it to a bit of extreme when I refused to believe in the existence of elephants until I saw one... but can you blame me... I mean, adults invent the stupidest things sometimes... :eek:kashii: :lol: )

Kinsao said:
Well, more or less I'm in accord with what you said. :)
Only except, for the first 2 points, they are kind of equal in importance for me for education of a child.
1. develop the child's spatial and reasoning skills
2. develop the child's sense of curiosity
I agree that they are both equality important. I had to rank them for this thread, but of course several things are "taught" at the same time and for many years.
Additionally, I think that spatial ability/awareness and reasoning skills don't always go together; my mother for example has unusually poor spatial skills (which is why she is bad at drawing... XD) but very good reasoning skills. (Maybe this is unusual; I wouldn't know. ^^)
Spatial skills (e.g. Lego, 3D video games, ball games, architecture...) are in the right hemisphere of the brain, while reasoning/logic skills (e.g. chess, monopoly...) are in the left hemisphere. Many games combine both skills though.
Again, personal bias (I've only experienced my own childhood, oddly enough! XD) - I learned to both talk and read unusually early, and I do feel that it's stood me in very good stead throughout my life.
It may seem strange now, but language was always my weak point as a child. In primary school I excelled in maths and sciences, but had more normal results (only slightly higher than the class average) in my mother tongue. I have problems reading a text aloud up to this day; my voice cannot keep up my reading speed, so my rythm is irregular and I sometimes block in the middle of a sentence or miss some words. It isn't stuttering though, as I do not repeat words. I also had serious spelling problems in French, but interestingly not as much (or at all) in other languages learnt later. Maybe French spelling is just too irregular and illogical.

I was remarkably bad at foreign languages until the age of 16, when it suddenly became easy (maybe it has to do with a sudden improvement in social skills as well). After that I learned 5 languages from zero to a fluent level in just a few years (I am still surprised).

It is quite funny that I now read and write more easily in English than in French, although French is my mother tongue. I haven't read a book in French (except some Belgian comics) in 6 years - only in English. I just don't like reading in French anymore. Likewise, I come to dislike more and more watching movies dubbed in French (although I grew up with it), and can only watch the original in English. Yet I wasn't reasonably fluent in English before I was 18. This shows how false is the idea that languages are best learnt in childhood. For me, my language learning skills were optimal between 17 and 23 years old. I already feel it is becoming a bit harder now (maybe that's just the lack of motivation).

That's interesting! ^^ Maybe you improved in languages because you weren't so much of 'a natural' as a child, so as you grew older, you made more of an effort? :? And then, hey presto! :cool:

That was kind of how it went with me and art :hihi: Although I could always draw quite well to an extent (particularly regarding structure as opposed to tonalities, but that's another issue ^^), I was never one of those 'brilliant' children at art (at least, not once I had got past a certain age of about 7 years). My strengths lay more in languages, sciences and music - but I enjoyed art a lot, and also I'm very competitive so I worked hard at it :bluush: and improved my ability a lot that way. This also happened at around the age of 16! :) In a sense it figures (in both cases) that something a bit more challenging is more interesting. (Also, in the case of art, level of maturity has quite a bit of significance, which could have something to do with my improvement after the age of 16.)

Indeed your English is very good! :cool: I'm kind of the other way round, although I don't expect my level of French is as high as your level of English. :blush: I like reading books in French, and often write reviews in French before I write them in English. (The internet is good for improving, because I get the chance to use French, whereas before, I would have to live there; still, to live there is better for language, but... :relief: ) And there are often things that it's difficult to translate from one language into the other. I only studied French for 8 years but I'm pleased that I kept up using it afterwards, because it can be a useful ability sometimes... :)

Develop the child's spatial and reasoning skills--I think these skills are very important to the children.

I like child speak clearly and learn good moral so child would be honor.my be or not but I like child's growth.

First of all thank you for this really interesting thread! (y)

- develop basic trust
for me this is a prerequisite

- develop the child's sense of curiosity.
Though I would rather say helping the child choose his/her own tasks on whom s/he wants to grow. And also helping to preserve the child's exploratory spirit.

- imagination
I found this very important as you aren't able to think out of your box without it, or feel empathy for others of you cannot imagine something else then your own situation.

- develop a good self-esteem and sound coping mechanisms and problem solving skills.
I believe some of this should be teached in schools as well. I rate it so highly because it has much to do with health and how good you fair in live.

- develop it's senses and mindfulnessbecause it anchors you in the world and opens you up

- develop nature awareness and care for our planet
Also in the future we will need a planet to live on.

- develop the child's vocabulary, linguistic and communication skills
Communication is very important.

- teach the child to speak properly and behave properly
- Teach the child to take responsibility for it's own (doing) and take it's live in its own hand not hoping that someone fixes everything (therefore the importance of the development of trust (also in him/her self) and a good self-esteem and coping mechanisms

- develop the child's critical sense.
- develop the child's musical and artistic skills
- develop the child's spatial and reasoning skills
- teach the child about moral values.
- good knowledge of world history
- good knowledge of geography.
- develop the child's sense for intercultural, interpresonal and intersocial differences

Mhmm looking back .... I think it gives away my profession :unsure:

This is are some good points which needs to be covered when one looks out for child education & development.

Most important thing to teach a young person (I find a term "child" somewhat offensive) is to stand up for it's rights before it's too long. That is the lesson we finally have to learn... billions of lives would be saved if the people knew that. We need more rebels these days, instead of reactionary rightists...

I think we have to realize that we are living in an information age, computer era and that education has to be done virtually. However before we switch to that, Government has to change the status of having internet from privilege to basic human right which shall be guaranteed to all. Therefore, internet should be free, maybe in some countries with really serious financial problems they could put a tax on it (although I actually advocate the system in which individual chooses on what is his or her money being spent), but it has to make sure that internet is available to absolute majority (over 90%) of population. Then, it could be done via webcam or something which is again Ministry of Education's duty to supply.

It may sound utopian, but utopia is not something which cannot be done, but what was not done till now.

Teach them how they can acquire knowledge by themselves, access the information as needed. Inspire them.

Please rank the things you would teach your child(ren) in order of importance. Here is what I would teach them :

- develop the child's spatial and reasoning skills by making them play with Lego blocks, board games (chess, monopoly, stratego...) or other such games. This has to be done at an early age as after it is often too late.

- develop the child's sense of curiosity. Teach a child something and he will know it or may forget it. Teach a child to be curious and he will learn by him/herself and remember everything better.

- teach the child to speak properly (good accent, politeness, levels of formality, etc.), and behave properly (avoid shouting or running in public or in the presence of adults outside school, avoid spitting or throwing away chewing gums, etc., etc.).

- develop the child's critical sense. Teach the child to doubt the validity of the information received, analyse the content, reflect on the meaning and logic of what is being said, help them think by themselves, develop their own ideas and opinions, etc.

- teach the child about moral values. This can only be done after 6 or 7 years old, once the child understands better the nature of social relations and the concepts or right and wrong.

- good knowledge of geography. Knowing the world we live in is vital in the age of globalisation. What's more, it is embarassing when other people talk about a country, major city, geographic region or main river or mountain that you have never heard of. With the Internet, it is increasingly useful to know what language is spoken in different countries.

- good knowledge of world history. Essential to understand how the world became what it is now and historical ties or enmities between countries or regions (how else will our children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren understand what is going on in the Middle East when they hear about problems there on a daily basis on TV :D ). The history of science and social values can come later on, once the child has become a teenager and has more knowledge of sciences and more socio-political maturity.

- develop the child's vocabulary and linguistic skills. This is less important as it improves with time well into adulthood. Yet a good basis is always preferable.

I think creating curiosity in the kids is the best gift you can give to them, this will help them stay motivated for the rest of their lives and lead towards a fulfilled and successful life.

Role of schools in child education

[FONT=&quot]Hey there,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hope you are having a great day.

[/FONT]
I think schools play a very important role in to develop your child personality.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]I can help you in suggesting a good international school.
Global Indian International School,Singapore a multi-award-winning school with an international outlook offering a curriculum that nurtures 21st-century skills through a unique blend of holistic learning, well-qualified faculty, modern infrastructure and emphasis on cultural diversity.

When it comes to teaching a young kid, the most important lesson is to speak up for its rights before it is too late. That is the lesson we must finally learn... billions of lives may be saved if the general public was aware of this.... These days, we need more rebels, not more regressive right-wingers.

I believe that we must recognize that we are living in the information age, the computer age, and that much of education must be completed online. However, before we can make that transition, the government must shift the status of having internet access from a privilege to a fundamental human right that will be guaranteed to everyone. As a result, internet access should be free, however in some countries with severe financial difficulties, a price on internet access may be imposed; however, it must be ensured that internet access is available to the vast majority of the population. Then it may be done by webcam or something similar, which would be provided by the Ministry of Education once again.

This thread has been viewed 69029 times.

Back