What makes Europeans similar between each others, as opposed to Americans

To be totally truthful I am surprised too. Oral-B is so much better! Joke aside there are plenty of good Swiss toothpastes like Curaprox or Swiss smile, or more common British ones like Sensodyne or Signal. So why go for American brands? Because of the better marketing?
Colgate just happened to be the item we painted our friends face during summer vacations so his father was surprised we could find western products in Albania.

What's with the toothpaste interest though? Are u writing a paper on toothpaste marketing or branding in general. In that case I'd suggest Simon Anholt, but I heard Alina Weller?? (can't remember her last name) has some good insights too. Although I feel like females choose her over male authors for obvious reasons.

That's interesting. I see things almost completely the opposite way of what you explained. Americans are more religious than Europeans by a long shot. I also see Europeans as better mannered and more polite than Americans in average, because it must be said the American average is not very high. Americans are often aggressive, argumentative, always ready to sue people who get in their way, often bigoted because of strong religious opinions and of their little knowledge of the rest of the world... Europeans aren't perfect and both French and Spanish people have a reputation for being rude. But generally speaking Europeans are better travelled, more likely to be multilingual and more open to different cultures. America feels very monolithic culturally and that makes people more narrow minded, petty and intolerant, especially if they are less educated and more rural.

Hmm interesting opinion. You sound like youve had bad experiences with americans and also that youvve never lived there. I agree that many americans can come across as fake to europeans because they assume a smiling face and polite manners means someone actually likes you, and some americans are indeed fake, but to us americans we know that this is just the way of things and someone greeting you friendly doesnt mean he actually cares about you, hes just keeping up with formalities. On one hand i appreciate the european directness and honesty, on the other hand america at times seems a much more pleasant place to live just because people behave very cordially. Some days here in austria everyone is in a bad mood and here they love to bark at people, literally bark and you just get tired of it. For us as americans showing your anger and frustration is a sign of a lack of self control, not being professional, and doesnt know how to behave as an adult. This is something we inherited from our british forefathers as in the anglo world showing emotion shows one to behave primitive. Your views are a great example of typical europeans who really dont understand how americans or america is like at all. Americans are more bigotted? less traveled? and less open to different cultures? well in some ways europeans have an advantage because to travel and experience a new culture they only have to take an hour train ride and theyre in a different country with a different culture. Americans are well traveld in the U.S a country that is geographically the size of europe. I lived in England for two years and in the North of the country it is common for many of the natives there to never have been to London, when its not even that far away. Europeans sometimes dont even visit family members that live an hour away or in a different region because they consider it to be extremely far away. Its funny because you try to claim most americans are biggeted and petty because of their religious views yet here in austria Hofer has a massive following specifically because many austrians are Christian and dont want their culture to be over run, its not just america that has a far right and is conservative. Albania is a very religious place, ive had very good friends from albania and i know how religious they are so your not being fair in your standards. Ill be the first one to admit the wrongs about american culture but the way you are describing america in comparison to europe is such a double standard. Ive literally had spanish people say, why are you americans so racist? just when they first met me, not even knowing me. I found the question quite rude and said what do you mean, why would we be racist? they responded because we all know americans are racist....i looked at them and said and spain isnt? they used to throw bannana peels at samuel eto when he would come out to play, they were shocked and were quite after that. Also have had multpile europeans from all over europe literally blame us americans for killing all of the indians, and acting in a smug way as if their countries had nothing to do with it. I said what, it was europeans who did that, we americans are just the result of it. Many europeans tend to have an elitist attitude towards america now days, many call us arrogant but when i meet americans here they are literally some of the friendliest people, in comparison to most austrians its like a night and day difference. Of course there are good and bad people everywhere so we cant lump everyone together but I agree with angela i feel like your describing a completely different country.

Im not misleading anyone, simply sharing my experience and I have plenty of them from all social classes as I get along pretty well with Americans compared to the average European. Europeans are too obsessed with judging and stereotyping on how Americans are stupid and ignorant.

By fake I meant that they're appear fake coz they're too careful and afraid to overstep or to be misunderstood, and for that reason I always try to break the ice and tell them not to give a F as things in Europe r not as bad as in US when it comes to different races. We openly make fun and say racist jokes to each other and laugh together while the Americans get an initial shock and look each other in the eye like "is it ok if we laugh too?".

And I've noticed what u say about people from New York and I find that over confidence a bit tiring and not original at all. And this is my major criticism to Americans as they are too influenced by the TV culture or whatever u call it so everyone acts, speaks, and tries to come off the same way. I worked with these guys from NY and Jesus it came to a point I asked them to replace the word deadass with smth else as it got so annoying. Smth goes viral and everyone overuses it. Europeans on the other hand are more different from one another and have more unique personalities in this sense.

Oh and one last funny thing, they are amazed at how Albanians, Italians, and Yugoslavs react, joke, or talk to women. So im wondering is it just a coincidence or American men are usually shy or more reserved around women?

If you go back and take a look at my post it's misReading them, not misLeading. The fact that Americans don't talk like you and your friends is totally to be expected. Americans aren't as racist as Europeans in general, not even with regard to blacks or Muslims. As for the kind of ethnic, tribal hatreds that are endemic in the Balkans it would be completely foreign to them. You seem to have difficulty accepting that people who are different from you are being genuine. Now, the particular Americans you met might have been out and out racists, but I assure you that if that has been the case they were the exception.

The "overconfidence" of New Yorkers isn't "original"? I don't know what that means. Again, it's genuine. Americans in general don't have this what I consider exaggerated deference toward people who are more educated or richer or in a different "class", or even famous. There's none of the formal "you" versus informal "you", no doctor this or that or counselor this or that. There's nothing "fake" about it. New Yorkers do add to that a relatively higher degree of confidence and openness, and so they express it. That's it.

The media dominance and effect it has on culture is true, but it will happen in Europe too.

American men on average are shyer and have less "game" with women than Italian men by far. (Of course, there are exceptions.) However, in my experience the worst are northern Europeans. It's literally painful listening to them and watching them trying to engage. It must be some combination of genes and culture.

@srdceleva,
I agree with much of what you say. Yes, it's true that a lot of Americans haven't traveled to many foreign countries and don't speak other languages. When they do, some of them might not be very tactful about what they see as antiquated systems. I don't excuse any of that. However, in my experience, and I've lived in both places, Americans are far less racist, less xenophobic, more welcoming and inclusive than Europeans.

As for this politeness thing, you can't look at it from the vantage point only of your own culture. You may think your rules are God given, but they're not. This article gives some good examples.

""For example, few Germans are aware that it is considered in extremely poor taste in many countries to blow your nose at the dinner table or to use toothpicks at the table - two activities which are considered acceptable by the respected Knigge Guide to Etiquette at dinner tables in Germany," it adds.

"In Japan, it is considered rude to count your change after paying your bill at a restaurant," the guide points out. "Germans at home in Germany always count their change and will quibble about the least discrepancy. That's the virtue of thoroughness in Germany. In Japan, it's highly offensive."

"Sun-hungry people from soggy Germany like to free themselves of excess clothing when they reach sunny climes - with German women going topless and men wearing the skimpiest of bathing suits on balmy beaches. Often times they wear little more while shopping.
"In Italy, Spain and France it is considered indecorous to reveal too much skin anywhere but in the water. And in Muslim countries bare limbs and shoulders are a sign of wantonness. Your best clue to clothing is to look at the natives: Men in Mediterranean countries generally do not wear shorts on the main street. Nor do women in those countries dress scantily while shopping."

""We Germans have it drilled into our heads that we must always be fastidiously punctual, even for dinner parties. But in France it is considered uncouth to show up at a home on time. Arrive at least half an hour late with a bouquet," say the manners mavens.
"And if you are invited by a business colleague to lunch, it is permissible to talk about any subject under the sun - except of course the business matter which brought you together in the first place. Discussing business at a business lunch is gauche to the French," the guide warns."

So, from my perspective, it isn't polite to, as you say, "bark" at other people constantly over largely inconsequential things. It isn't polite when someone enters your home to not offer a coffee, a glass of water, something. It isn't polite to go to someone else's home and not bring flowers, wine, something. It isn't polite to correct absolute strangers on their behavior or clothes. Who put you in charge of the world? You try that here and the mildest reaction will be that they'll call you an *** ****. Would it also crack someone's face to smile welcomingly at someone? My goodness, we know enough from psychology to know how important a smile is to signal lack of aggression, welcome, etc. It also just makes people feel better.

I have quite a bit of experience with German tourists. Is it polite to shout out your demands to the waiter from half way across the room? If they try that in New York somebody will bash them over the head. Is it polite to go to another country and address every local in sight as a lesser form of life? Is it polite to race down to the pool at 6AM to throw a towel on a lounge chair thinking that means it's yours for the day? Is it polite to parade around a shopping district in your speedos or thong bathing suit or even try to enter a restaurant that way? Is it polite to be so raucous and rowdy and loud, especially after you're drunk, that you ruin the evening for everyone else? Goodness there are whole studies about it.

I could, of course, do the same kind of thing about Italians, or Russians, or Americans and turn the tables. It wouldn't be hard to do. It depends on your perspective, your own cultural framework.

I just object to people thinking their way is the only way, and their standards are the only standards.

Ed. Oh, a word to the wise about proper behavior when you're invited to someone's home in America. DO NOT SHOW UP ON TIME. Don't be an hour late, of course, but give it fifteen minutes. :) Also, bring a token gift.

If you go back and take a look at my post it's misReading them, not misLeading. The fact that Americans don't talk like you and your friends is totally to be expected. Americans aren't as racist as Europeans in general, not even with regard to blacks or Muslims. As for the kind of ethnic, tribal hatreds that are endemic in the Balkans it would be completely foreign to them. You seem to have difficulty accepting that people who are different from you are being genuine. Now, the particular Americans you met might have been out and out racists, but I assure you that if that has been the case they were the exception.

The "overconfidence" of New Yorkers isn't "original"? I don't know what that means. Again, it's genuine. Americans in general don't have this what I consider exaggerated deference toward people who are more educated or richer or in a different "class", or even famous. There's none of the formal "you" versus informal "you", no doctor this or that or counselor this or that. There's nothing "fake" about it. New Yorkers do add to that a relatively higher degree of confidence and openness, and so they express it. That's it.

The media dominance and effect it has on culture is true, but it will happen in Europe too.

American men on average are shyer and have less "game" with women than Italian men by far. (Of course, there are exceptions.) However, in my experience the worst are northern Europeans. It's literally painful listening to them and watching them trying to engage. It must be some combination of genes and culture.
I read ur previous post so many times and even I thought the word misleading was out of place. Damn, that's why they say we read with our brains and not the eyes. Sorry my bad.

Actually my point was that we joke freely among friends and find the jokes about our own people funny then move on to a different topic and continue being friends without any hard feelings. I didn't mean proper racist remarks or "tribal hatred" as u call it.

Ur knowledge on people from Balkans comes solely from web forums probably where u have all kinds of ignorant kids going on rampages. If u actually travel there or in Europe, u will find that Balkanites stick together and on occasions Italians and Greeks are included, so we're way ahead of most of the European countries. And I know this for a fact about French, English, Spanish, Germans, and no need to count Russians as they're always a mysterious separate bunch (not so much the women though).

And it it seems ur focusing a lot on how Americans behave and what they express, but not the actual reality of how they think inside. Europeans and especially Balkanites are way ahead of them as nobody cares so much like Americans do about race. Even the jokes are mostly about "white ppl be like...", black ppl be like...., white girls with black as$, bla bla bla white black Asian bla. Everything is about being associated with a race and the jokes r so stupid they make me puke. Gotta love watching an English movie and the fine humour they include in it.

About the Northern Europeans, I always thought the same but I'm surprised by many Sweds and Danes I know, so I'd personally exclude them from the usual stereotype on dealing with women.

Unfortunately Americans have tended to throw away its European heritage to be "Americans" and the European influence that goes with it.

Yes NIk" political correctness" is killing America. Political correctness is lying so as not to hurt someone's feelings, hence many Americans don't really say what they think for fear of offending others therefore making them plastic and fake. Those in America who tell us that we are not supposed to notice race or sex are the ones incessantly talking about race and sex revealing their appalling hypocrisy.

Unfortunately Angela Americans are great deal of them are stupid and ignorant.This is not The public education system is horrific.Children are no longer educated they are indoctrinated. 1.2 million or more graduate being functionally illiterate, they do not know how to read, write or think effectively.

This thread has been viewed 147878 times.

Back