What is your image of each social class ?

I like this classification of yours about social class better than your previous.:cool:

Let's say that it fits better the American definition of social class (money and apperances) than the European one (the person you really are beyond the money and the apperances).

Let's say that it fits better the American definition of social class (money and apperances) than the European one (the person you really are beyond the money and the apperances).

Well as you know I grow up in Australia and I am East Asian. The world that I grow up with has always been materialistic, and as my education is mainly done in Australia, vast majority of our textbooks come from the US.

But if you know me well in person, you would have realized I am not really that materialistic compare to other East Asians but I would be lying if I say I am not materialistic at all.

When you say social class goes beyond money and appearance are you talking about in terms of manners and how people behave? Difference in personality? What values a person may have?

Well as you know I grow up in Australia and I am East Asian. The world that I grow up with has always been materialistic, and as my education is mainly done in Australia, vast majority of our textbooks come from the US.

I have lived 6 months in Australia, and all I can say is that I see it as a small version of the US South (Queensland would be Florida, and the rest would be mostly Texas, California and what's in between). I noticed that North-East Asians are much closer to the Americans than the Europeans, for their materialism, self-centrism, ignorance of the world, emphasis of education to get a job rather than to form the mind and give the passion to learn, etc.

These are countries where money make your respected, while in Europe people try to hide their money so as not to engender envy, jealousy and troubles. In the USA, Australia and East Asia, people's aim in life is to be rich, get married and have children; in Europe it is to be happy, with or without being riched or being married. Let's say that Europeans have a much more philosophical approach and value more quality of life over symbols and status. In a sense, Europeans care less about what other people think of them, they are more independent-minded.

Europe is not a society of "losers" and "winners" like in the US and East Asia. What makes you respected is your education, your behaviour, your manners or general knowledge, your kindness, your talent, possibly even your lineage (e.g. nobility), BUT not your money or your job title. Here ministers, who have special car plates, change their car plates to normal ones for discretion's sake (they put their ministerial plate behind the windscreen when parked in areas reserved for government cars to prove their identity). I think it reflects well this difference of mentality. In East Asia, modesty is usually valued, but when it comes to money, I was shocked to find out that showing off was not only okay, but almost necessary to gain people's respect.

Maciamo said:
I noticed that North-East Asians are much closer to the Americans than the Europeans, for their materialism, self-centrism, ignorance of the world, emphasis of education to get a job rather than to form the mind and give the passion to learn, etc.

I understand what you are saying, but it sounds a bit harsh on Americans while making it sound as if Europeans are guiltless in these respects. I mean, in Europe there is also a lot of materialism, people wanting top brands, best cars, etc. etc., aren't we also the continent that is the home of a lot of fashion, traditionally, "London, Paris, New York" being capitals of style! :)p ) ... sure there is plenty of materialism here as well. :hihi: (But I know you weren't trying to say that all Europeans are immune from this! :p )

Let's say that Europeans have a much more philosophical approach and value more quality of life over symbols and status. In a sense, Europeans care less about what other people think of them, they are more independent-minded.

That's a good way of putting it. :)

I understand what you are saying, but it sounds a bit harsh on Americans while making it sound as if Europeans are guiltless in these respects. I mean, in Europe there is also a lot of materialism, people wanting top brands, best cars, etc. etc., aren't we also the continent that is the home of a lot of fashion, traditionally, "London, Paris, New York" being capitals of style!
I noticed in big Parisian department stores (Galeries Lafayette, Printemps) and expensive boutiques that those who buy a lot of European brands in clothes and accessories are first and foremost Japanese (Louis Vuitton sells over half of its worldwide production in Japan), then other Asians (increasingly the Chinese) as well as Americans (some specific brands like Dolce & Gabbana, Versace...). So yes, Europe, and esp. France and Italy, produce the most famous brands in fashion, but I rarely see Europeans with Chanel or Vuitton bags and Yves-Saint-Laurent or Armani suits (at least not young people). In Japan, it is hard to find a girl that doesn't have at least one Vuitton bag (+ numerous other brand bags of course). If you don't in Japan or are a social outcaste. If you do in Europe, people will jeer at you (yes, even in well-to-do bourgeois milieu).

Likewise, few people buy Ferrari or Rolls; only those who are so rich they don't know what to do with their money. People don't work hard in order to buy a Ferrari (well, I don't know any) - they have other priorities. In the US and East Asia, people work hard and even borrow money in order to buy stuff which they can't afford, so as to look richer and show off. That is materialism.

This thread has been viewed 34223 times.

Back