What is your favourite European region for sightseeing ?

What is your favourite European region for sightseeing ? (max. 3 choices)

• Total voters

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Hard question if we have to choose only one country, easier if we can choose a few.

To innovate a bit and avoid to disadvantadge small countries, I have divided big countries and joined small, similar or less touristic countries together for this poll.

This is a multiple choice, but please limit yourself to your top 3.

You have asked a very difficult question Maciamo. I cannot answer this until I complete my travel of the European continent...

I have been to most of the Western European countries but I have not been to Scandinavia, and for UK I only been to London, I never been to Eastern Europe and for Southern Europe I only been to Italy.

I am thinking of going to HK and Thailand next year but due to some family business where I would need to attend possibly in 2008 I think perhaps we should go to Scandinavia first instead. My husband has a friend from Denmark. We can just drive there.

In my trip to Malaysia that I just got back on we bumped into a couple from Denmark that appeared to be friendly.

I heard that food over there is very expensive and I am thinking of bringing foods from France and rent a motel or temporary apartment overthere where we can cook. We plan to spend one week in Scandinavia visiting Finland and Denmark.

Indeed tough. But I saw you missed an option, namely "Skandinavia" !!! I can't see Norwegia, Finland, or Sweden in the list! :eek: (I'll probably go to Finland next year :) )

Indeed tough. But I saw you missed an option, namely "Skandinavia" !!! I can't see Norwegia, Finland, or Sweden in the list! :eek: (I'll probably go to Finland next year :) )

Scandinavia is the 3rd in the list. It includes Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Iceland. Finland is not technically part of Scandinavia, so I added it to this option.

Aight ! :) Thanks!

Well, I can't answer the question very well because I haven't travelled much in Europe. :bluush: But I can say where I would like to go sightseeing! :p

Britain, obviously I am quite familiar with it because I live there :) ; I think it is a good place to go sightseeing because it is small, so it's easy to see various different sceneries and things all within a reasonable driving distance. :) :car:

Ireland, I've been there a few times but would love to see more (I'm going to spend 2 weeks there next year! ^_^). The countryside is beautiful so it is good for a relaxing country holiday. Dublin is a nice city. I've never been to Belfast (but probably will, as one of my friends lives there ^^).

France, I am interested to travel and go sightseeing in all of France, north, south and central. :) My "preference" for France is influenced mainly by 3 things: the fact that I can speak French, which makes life much easier; the fact that my family (father's side) were French, so I would love to visit Calvados (origin of my family and home to a rather good drink! :liplick: ); also the fact that France is next door to England so the flights are cheap and short! :cool: I've been to Paris quite a number of times, and I really love that city. :p

Switzerland and the Swiss Alps, I'd like to visit there because I have family from there, so just a natural curiosity I guess. :)

The Balkans, specifically Latvia, because one of my good friends since childhood is Latvian, so I've always had an interest in the culture and country. :)

Central Europe, well, simply because I have a few "internet buddies" from there (including my music-making partner! ^^) who I would like to meet really. :blush: Because to go sightseeing with someone who knows about the area, that's good because they can tell you stuff and point things out. :) Also the culture is something I really know nothing about, so it's cool to learn about something totally new to me. :)

The Balkans, specifically Latvia, because one of my good friends since childhood is Latvian, so I've always had an interest in the culture and country.

I suppose you meant the Baltic, as the Balkans is the area of ex-Yugoslavia, Albania, Bulgaria and Romania.

Maciamo arranged the groups quite well and very detailed but for me there are 3 top regions in Europe that I prefer. My absolute favorite is the Mediterranean, I include in this all the Balkan countries bordering it and southern/central italy with southern France and Spain. I beleive that there is no substitute for this region, the sea culture and local villages and the food there is unsurpasable by any other region in the world, as far as i know now. The atmosphere that one lives in these areas, the sea at your doorstep, the cuisine and traditions of hundreds of years, old cottages, and the spirit of life through the ages is just very very unique.

Secondly Central and Northen Italy are my second favorite. This is a country that has a million of treasures waiting to be found. So much history and culture is just impossible not to adore life in it.

Thirdly I choose Skandinavia because it has a certain feeling of pureness that springs about when I think of it; it all seem so white and green and naturally at rest.

.My absolute favorite is the Mediterranean, I include in this all the Balkan countries bordering it and southern/central italy with southern France and Spain. I beleive that there is no substitute for this region, the sea culture and local villages and the food there is unsurpasable by any other region in the world, as far as i know now. The atmosphere that one lives in these areas, the sea at your doorstep, the cuisine and traditions of hundreds of years, old cottages, and the spirit of life through the ages is just very very unique.

I think my husband would agree with you on this one, he often comments on how much he loves Mediterranean vegetables and cusines and that he prefers Mediterranean vegetables than Chinese ones. But he changed his mind about Chinese food when I brought him to Malaysia...:D

Difficult to answer as I also have not travelled to all those places. Out of the ones I have been to (France, Spain, Germany, Central Italy, Switzerland, England,and Scotland)

I like France for architecture, the food, the sound of the language and some of its art.

Switzerland for its natural scenery.

Central Italy for its architecture and food.

Scotland for scenery and the friendliness of most of its people.

English countryside for the natural scenery and friendliness of most of its people (my wife is crazy for England, so I have visited here the most as well as taking trips to other palces from London as a base).

Southeastern Spain for the food (especially cafe con leche - expresso with milk).

Even though I've never been, I have seen pictures of the Alps. If I were to go to Europe I would go there.

Lithuania

Too sad to see that Baltics are not so popular! People, you do not know, what you miss! Great prices, delicious food, amazing nature!
Have you ever visited Nida? You will nowhere else see such and astonishing natural sand dunes!
Have you already seen Vilnius Old Town? One of the largest and one of the most beautiful in Europe, included into UNESCO World Heritage list.
What about fascinating Hill of Crosses? This is a unique masterpiece created by human located in West Lithuania, also included into UNESCO World Heritage list. People, are you only interested in warm shiny beaches and widely advertised world famous monuments that are so boring!!! :confused: Find something new!!! (y) Find Lithuania :cool-v:

i would like to recommend you the most beautiful polish city - Cracow. There are lots of magical places, very romantic little restaurants, cafes, monuments (the wawel castle, huge market square, and so).
If you're looking for a hostel, you may check on aston-hostel.pl/en :)

Northern Spain , specially the Pyrenees. I live very close to the Pyrenees.

Britain, Ireland, Northern France (particularly Brittany), Portugal and Northern Spain.

SF, NI and the Alps.

Where snowy mountains are meeting the sea like in the Alpes Maritimes.

Last edited:
I'd love go for sight seeing in Belgium, Switzerland and Netherlands speciallly... Oh i love those places...

In truth, it's hard to choose, as there's so much beautiful scenery in Europe.

This thread has been viewed 141563 times.

Back