What will remain of the world in 20 or 50 years ?

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
I have the increasing feeling that our world and lifestyle is going to undergo a radical change within the next 20 years and after, a change for the worse...

All the causes for the destruction of humanity are adding up :

- global warming : much faster than expected; I wouldn't be surprised to see hundreds of millions of people displaced because of rising sea levels. The most worrisome region is Bangladesh and Eastern China. Developed countries and coastal cities will have easier to fight off the rising sea levels with dykes and concrete walls. The consequence will be a massive migration from badly hit areas toward other regions, a probably a massive flux of refugees toward developed countries.

- BSE (mad cow disease), or more exactly the variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) : I expect it to be a second AIDS on a much worse scale. The disease is new and has an incubation period of about 20 years. This disease is of course incurable and the patient may takes months, if not years to die.

- rise in cancers and health problems because of new technologies, especially electromagnetic waves (mobile phones, Wi-Fi...). It usually also takes between 15 and 25 years before cancers start appearing massively.

- Islamic extremism and terrorism : WWIII will be Islam against the rest of the world. It has already started. Like the 100 years' war between France and England, or the 30 years' war between Catholics and Protestants in Germany, the "fightings" are sporadic, not continuous, and happen in various places. We don't realise it because when we think of WWIII, we compare it to WWI and WWII, which were continous wars. My fears is that terrorism might become so bad that it will degenerate in a more open conflict with religious or ethnic cleansings. The world is already becoming like Israel on a bigger scale. What if terrorists target nuclear plants instead of public transports ?

- worldwide financial crash : The US and Japanese economies have become so deeply intertwined that Japan is already drawing the US economy down, and thelow USD is keeping the yen low. Each country has invested massively in the other country's currency, especially Japan in USD. If a major earthquake hits Tokyo and ruin Japan' economy, Japan will have no choice but to withdraw its USD savings to rebuild the country, bringing down the whole US economy with it, and with the US the rest of the world. It will be worse than we think because Japan is already suffering from increasing Korean and Chinese competition, and will have a very hard time to recover, unlike after WWII. It is even possible that Japan becomes poorer than South Korea and Eastern China within the next 20 years, even without earthquake. Another problem is that the Chinese economy is extremely reliant on American investments, and if Japan goes down because of a major earthquake, China will suffer too, bringing chaos to the country, and possibly an open Sino-Japanese conflicts, as the two nations hate each others. The earthquake could happen anytime now, and almost certainly within the next 10 years.

- surge in the poors around the world : while gaps between the rich and the poor are increasing in developed countries, the populations of poor and very poor countries are rising at a worrying pace, so that the proportion of poor people worldwide is actuallly increasing. This will be even worse once Western countries and Japan will all have reach the point of population decline.

- deforestation and ecological destruction : the Amazon and other tropical forest are disappearing fast, and with them thousands of animal and plant species that we will never see again.

- lack of water : soon we will be fighting for fresh water on earth. Some of the biggest freshwater lakes have already gone dry (e.g. the Aral Sea), and with always more billion people on earth, always more pollution, the world will be fighting for water before 20 years.

- lack of food : studies predict that 90% of edible fish species in the ocean will have disappeared by 2048 (this is irreversible). If we continue to overfish at the current pace, there will be no more fish in the world's oceans in less than 50 years. It will surely happen sooner as countries like China and India will fish more, and the world population will have reached 8 billion in 2028 and 9 billion in 2050 (yes, half more than now). Add to this the salinastion and pollution of soils in developed countries due to over-farming and the excessive use of chemicals, which render the soil less fertile on the long run.

Combine all this in your mind to get the big picture. In 50 years' time, the ocean will have risen by several meters, but will contain no more fish. The world will be 50% more populous, but will have much less food, will fight for water. People will continue to fight for religion (e.g. Islam), but with always more destructive means, until nuclear plants are sabotaged or nuclear weapons are used. In only 20 years, many people, especially in developed countries and big cities around the world, will be suffering from more cancers, various other health disorders, high stress, and probably new epidemics of vCJB. Poorer countries will be effected by AIDS more than ever, and possibly new strains of TB, or influenza (like SARS, bird flu, etc).

When will humanity disappear from the earth ? What seems certain is that humans will have destroyed the biggest portion of other animal species on earth before they finally go.

- global warming
- BSE (mad cow disease)
- rise in cancers and health problems because of new technologies
- Islamic extremism and terrorism
- worldwide financial crash
- surge in the poors around the world
- deforestation and ecological destruction
- lack of water
- lack of food

Tell ol' Pharaoh, let my people go! :grin:

What are people doing about it who have the power and money? What are the future plans for those persons?

I have the increasing feeling that our world and lifestyle is going to undergo a radical change within the next 20 years and after, a change for the worse...

All the causes for the destruction of humanity are adding up :

- global warming : much faster than expected; I wouldn't be surprised to see hundreds of millions of people displaced because of rising sea levels. The most worrisome region is Bangladesh and Eastern China. Developed countries and coastal cities will have easier to fight off the rising sea levels with dykes and concrete walls. The consequence will be a massive migration from badly hit areas toward other regions, a probably a massive flux of refugees toward developed countries.

Not really. Global warming was predicted as a major issue in the 60s I believe just everyone was, and still is, of the attitude it is not happening in this generation so let the next generation or the generation after that figure it out. Human nature nowadays is of the mindset - if it doesn't bother me, I don't care. Actually, thinking about it, it some areas that - I don't give a "crap" - has been human nature for centuries.

- BSE (mad cow disease), or more exactly the variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) : I expect it to be a second AIDS on a much worse scale. The disease is new and has an incubation period of about 20 years. This disease is of course incurable and the patient may takes months, if not years to die.

Mother nature is getting fed up of us dumb "chimps". Can't say I blame her, we've done more damage to the world in the last hundred years than our forefathers did over centuries. As it is, thank the overdosing of antibiotics, chemicals., etc., etc., etc. that has caused the rise of these superbugs and diseases. Ignorance by the masses, poor health practices, greed [piss poor animal health screening / meat screening], etc. has all led to such issues. CJD isn't new, it appeared about 30 years ago in 1990 after people ate diseased cattle. vCJD appeared around 2000.

Never liked beef to begin with, all the more reason not to eat it.

- rise in cancers and health problems because of new technologies, especially electromagnetic waves (mobile phones, Wi-Fi...). It usually also takes between 15 and 25 years before cancers start appearing massively.

Biggest cancer causing issue is electromagnetic to degree. However, another big issue is artificial processing. Anything overly processed, or oil that smokes/burns while you're frying with it, is cancerous. Artificial sweeteners, no fat / no carbs, etc., etc., etc. is akin to putting radon in your stomach. Now if we want to list cancer causing problems and health causing problems all around us - you'd be wrapping yourself in bubble wrap and/or going outside in a lead-lined container. Did you know certain streets, due to the gravel composition, in the US are said to be cancer causing?

- Islamic extremism and terrorism : WWIII will be Islam against the rest of the world. It has already started. Like the 100 years' war between France and England, or the 30 years' war between Catholics and Protestants in Germany, the "fightings" are sporadic, not continuous, and happen in various places. We don't realise it because when we think of WWIII, we compare it to WWI and WWII, which were continous wars. My fears is that terrorism might become so bad that it will degenerate in a more open conflict with religious or ethnic cleansings. The world is already becoming like Israel on a bigger scale. What if terrorists target nuclear plants instead of public transports ?

Not really. It's only "news" to westerners and even then Nostradamus was said to have predicted the rise of a "New Muslim Empire" which if you read his original documents is running on the right "track". The refugees for example. Numerous people continually ask why doesn't the mid-eastern countries take these "refugees" - well 90% of them nowadays are just migrants, Calais the male to woman/child ratio was nearly 30 to 1 - is because these "refugees" / migrants belong to displaced societies that are not widely considered desirable in the mid-east. Infamous Jihadi John's father, for example, belonged to a sect that in some areas of the mid-east is viewed with more contempt than Brits show Gypsies.

Eastern and mid-eastern society is not, and never will be, as simple as most westerners would like to believe. There are, in some areas, so many cultural, familial, and social casts that you'd be very hard-pressed to learn it all.

The fact border crossings were thrown open wider than a town's brothel's doors doesn't help of course. Western society bit off far more than it could chew [terrorists have been spotted in "refugee" groups] and the lackluster response will make it, unless there's some serious smartening up, easier than stealing candy from a baby for ISIS/terrorists. There are countries that have been dealing with this and their government's yellowed bellied response [ask a Swede what they think of their country & the "refugees"; if they have the guts to comment you'll be sitting there all day] for a lot longer than the recent "refugee crisis".

- worldwide financial crash : The US and Japanese economies have become so deeply intertwined that Japan is already drawing the US economy down, and thelow USD is keeping the yen low. Each country has invested massively in the other country's currency, especially Japan in USD. If a major earthquake hits Tokyo and ruin Japan' economy, Japan will have no choice but to withdraw its USD savings to rebuild the country, bringing down the whole US economy with it, and with the US the rest of the world. It will be worse than we think because Japan is already suffering from increasing Korean and Chinese competition, and will have a very hard time to recover, unlike after WWII. It is even possible that Japan becomes poorer than South Korea and Eastern China within the next 20 years, even without earthquake. Another problem is that the Chinese economy is extremely reliant on American investments, and if Japan goes down because of a major earthquake, China will suffer too, bringing chaos to the country, and possibly an open Sino-Japanese conflicts, as the two nations hate each others. The earthquake could happen anytime now, and almost certainly within the next 10 years.

Very unlikely China will suffer though they'd love you to believe that - just as how Russians love it when their country is portrayed by pro-American websites/news media as a backward country full of drunkards. China's economy is backed by actual gold. The US's economy is just useless paper bills, bonds, and other junk that isn't worth the paper it is printed on because you have nothing to back it. Money printed on "empty" promises. Economic collapse it'd make for some very pretty bird cage liner.

If there's an economic collapse even Mongolia will do better than the US because they too have backed their currency / economy with gold.

You also got to take into consideration if there ever is an economic or world societal collapse - China has a military power of such extent, forgoing nuclear bombs, that they could potentially steamroll over the entire world and still be in good standing. So does a lot of other "backward" nations.

- surge in the poors around the world : while gaps between the rich and the poor are increasing in developed countries, the populations of poor and very poor countries are rising at a worrying pace, so that the proportion of poor people worldwide is actuallly increasing. This will be even worse once Western countries and Japan will all have reach the point of population decline.

India has taken to sterilizing her lower social classes for this reason. However, poor is a concept brought on widely by human ignorance. If people did not believe in the keep up with the Joneses mentality, a concept dubbed stupid in the early 1900s, and needing the newest and best of items then the global prices for things wouldn't be so high.

Now pay attention you visit the car dealership next time. That new shiny model on the front lot - 2016 or 2017 - well it only has a few more buttons between it and the prior year's model but most car companies will ask you anywhere from 5,000 to 10,000 for those little buttons. I think it just beyond stupid that people will pay $$$ for BWMs, Mercedes, etc. that due to the remodeling don't look much different than the far cheaper Toyota sedan beside them. But hey let's pay $500,000+ for a spanking brand new house in a subdivision [aka antfarm] which is oftentimes made of the cheapest construction / materials on the market all because everyone else and their dog is buying one.

Simple supply and demand - it is a course covered in most high schools, but I guess to the general public it went in one ear and out the other.

- deforestation and ecological destruction : the Amazon and other tropical forest are disappearing fast, and with them thousands of animal and plant species that we will never see again.

- lack of water : soon we will be fighting for fresh water on earth. Some of the biggest freshwater lakes have already gone dry (e.g. the Aral Sea), and with always more billion people on earth, always more pollution, the world will be fighting for water before 20 years.

- lack of food : studies predict that 90% of edible fish species in the ocean will have disappeared by 2048 (this is irreversible). If we continue to overfish at the current pace, there will be no more fish in the world's oceans in less than 50 years. It will surely happen sooner as countries like China and India will fish more, and the world population will have reached 8 billion in 2028 and 9 billion in 2050 (yes, half more than now). Add to this the salinastion and pollution of soils in developed countries due to over-farming and the excessive use of chemicals, which render the soil less fertile on the long run.

As like global warming the general mentality of the average person is if it isn't going to be a problem in my generation - I do NOT care.

Combine all this in your mind to get the big picture. In 50 years' time, the ocean will have risen by several meters, but will contain no more fish. The world will be 50% more populous, but will have much less food, will fight for water. People will continue to fight for religion (e.g. Islam), but with always more destructive means, until nuclear plants are sabotaged or nuclear weapons are used. In only 20 years, many people, especially in developed countries and big cities around the world, will be suffering from more cancers, various other health disorders, high stress, and probably new epidemics of vCJB. Poorer countries will be effected by AIDS more than ever, and possibly new strains of TB, or influenza (like SARS, bird flu, etc).

When will humanity disappear from the earth ? What seems certain is that humans will have destroyed the biggest portion of other animal species on earth before they finally go.

I have seriously. One reason why I have no real interest in having children. So do a number of my friends / family - most of us belonging to the well-educated side of society. My cousin, a medical researcher, will soon be too old to have children without medical intervention [AI]. Why damn them to a world / a life such as what it will be either their generation or the generation afterward? And it will be very cruel, very soon for the chances of us getting off this "rock" are actually pretty slim. Making it to Mars, well, we'd have to figure out how to get through a rather large radiation field without getting "fried".

You left off the most perilous to humanity: robotics and automation. Not only non-skilled jobs in peril, but now skilled jobs are in peril, and there is no stopping the trend, short of reverting to a barter economy or something as dumbed down as that. :petrified:

good post!

With different ways and simple steps. What kind of device are you using?

This thread has been viewed 11854 times.

Back