Should North America join the EU ?

I haven't seen this topic before, and even though it is an old thread, I think it is thought provoking and as such an inspiring subject for discussion.

Addressing the OP, I think that this is not the purpose of the European Union, as it is built on basic values and principles in direct conflict with such an idea. Keeping in mind the influence by the First nations and non-European people immigrants and slaves, it is somewhat a viable thought, as the American nations are founded by Europeans making it an extension of our European culture and peoples. The same goes for great many colonies, Oceania non the least. From that point of view, most of the world might be considered becoming members of the EU. We have left a rather large and often brutal civilizational footprint lingering globally.

But - without going into the founding and enlargement principles of the EU - one might wonder why non-European nations like the US and Canada would benefit. FTAs and other trade agreements as well as political agreements can be met without submitting North America under European law and government. I think it would be a rare thing to find people who would support such a development on either side of the pond.

As previously brushed by Strettger, the world is slowly both dividing and coming together in the simplexity and formation of Civilization States. This tender path of the European Union that was treaded 60 years ago has developed so very carefully and in it's own time constantly under the sword of Damocles and against the horns of antagonism, rivalry and vile and misguided nationalism. Were there any such development to be made for the US, it would presumably be with it's neighbor states and major cultural and economical partners, forming a North American Union. Considering that the whole of North America is made up of only three countries does set it apart from the other large continents of the world, making them already large unions and economies. The position of the US globally and it's strong identity and nationalism, I am not sure that would be realistic to hope for a North American Union in the foreseeable future. Even though things change in the system of the world, the US is and will be the big dog of the pack for quite some time. It doesn't seem as if there are any real incentives for that to happen. So far and in future expectations.

That said, I still agree that there is cause and room for flexibility regarding any geographic criteria for what is to be seen as a European nation and much welcome any challenge and discussion as to the outer borders of Union enlargement. I think that we can consider several levels of Europe. The geographic boundaries, European cultures and peoples, and what is in the "European Sphere". What to include in the criteria for future membership is a fundamental part of defining of what the Union is and will become.

I think that we must also recognize and appreciate that the enlargement of the Union is the greatest foreign policy tool of democracy, peace and stability we have; more powerful and effective than any other international policy seen to date globally. Bearing that in mind, it would not be uncalled for to consider the Mahgreb as well as part of the Mashriq becoming integrated and possibly members. Even though unlikely, it would be very beneficial and make sense from a European perspective - non the least considering the ancient common historical as well as cultural legacy we share with these regions; Maghreb maybe the most.

But that is the European Sphere, and it is unlikely that these countries will become future members; they are simply not European nations. The non-European Mediterranean countries will without a doubt continue to co-operate in the ENP and the Union for the Mediterranean.

But these countries might integrate on a deeper level with their neighbors in the principles of the EU forming a Union of their own - be it a part of the AU, an Arab Union or otherwise. Hopefully we might see an Arab Union springing from the Arab League - as of the Yemenite proposal - maybe based on the institutions of the GCC.

But then again - in the perspective of European cultures and peoples - with the precedent of Cypriot membership it is not unlikely the Cape Verde islands might find sufficient support for membership, being the only part of Macaronesia outside the EU. Armenia is perceived as a European nation even though outside of the perceived border of the continent. There are exceptions and there often are.

But a North American membership into the EU is just not realistic. It might have been if the EU was about building a modern empire, a global house of power reasserting Western dominance of the world. But if that is the perception of the European project, I think that one lacks understanding of the idea and the principles of the Union, why the EU is something new and different in history, and why the success of our project is of great importance for more than us Europeans.

I like your insight Michael. With all the democracy changes that are happening in the Arab speaking world I guess it is becoming more possible for a Arab Union. I could see Canada becoming a Union with the U.S. but the U.S. as a people don't like Mexico very much :mad: .

What is the future relationship of North America and Europe?

I like your insight Michael. With all the democracy changes that are happening in the Arab speaking world I guess it is becoming more possible for a Arab Union. I could see Canada becoming a Union with the U.S. but the U.S. as a people don't like Mexico very much :mad: .
What is the future relationship of North America and Europe?

I don't believe in more democracy in the Arab world.

The future between Europe and the USA will be not very friendly.
The USA is an economic disaster.
Europe wants stability in the world, the USA is busy to create instability wherever they can.

I think Canada is more European minded, so perhaps Canada could cooperate with the EU on some level.

Further more, Europeans don't like the idea of a European Empire.
There will never ever be such a thing as the United States of Europe.

Yes, the US is pretty close to being an economic disaster. We have not seen the worst of it yet.

Honestly, it would be in the European Union's best interest to allow the U.S. to join the EU. European countries have some of the highest amounts of debt for industrialized countries in the world, with external debt to GDP percentages of 3,443%(Luxembourg), 1,103%(Ireland), and 400% (UK) just to name a few.[1] The U.S. as a country sits around 99-100% external debt to GDP. However, a good amount of this foreign debt owed, is owed to the U.S. and has been owed since WWI. Countries like (UK)400% borrowed high amounts of debt during and after WWI and WWII in order to rebuild.

Some of these debts have been paid by some countries, however others like the UK have failed to pay any of the debt, and are not only unable to pay interest on the loans but are in outright default. Which is why all European countries dropped the Gold Standard and use it as a reserve currency like the U.S. Western European countries continue to add eastern European countries into the EU, not because they feel an obligation due to ethnic or cultural background, but because they need cheap labor and their gold and resources to help pay off western European debt burdens. Misery loves company as they say.

Well.. You really don't believe what you are writing, do you?

The Americans dropped the gold standard already under the Nixon administration!
That is about 40 years ago!

Europe needs the US like a cold fever!
Don't tell so much nonsense please!

The US has debts towards China, The UK ..
The European continent wasn't so stupid..
They got their trade out of the US in time.

As a Canadian, I shudder at the thought of joining withthe US or the EU. No thank you. Perhaps you may find support for that idea in Quebec (joining the EU), but I doubt you will find support for it in the rest of Canada....especially not in the west.

Well, the basic idea of the EU is to have a common market, just to prevent wars between European nations.
In that view it's only natural that all European countries can become a member, if they like to.
But, there are European countries that try to dominate the Union. And that is pissing off the others.

The role the USA plays, together with Great Britain is one of divide and rule.
No way, that the US ever will be accepted as a member.
And Canada? Why should they?
The only nation to ever attack Canada might be the USA.

its likely that Europe will just collapse and fall apart, people will jump ship to north America, and we may accept some of you.

its likely that Europe will just collapse and fall apart, people will jump ship to north America, and we may accept some of you.

would it be possible by plane too?

The UK should leave the EU and apply to become a state of the USA.

can you imagine Angela president of EU+US !!!!!!!!

can you imagine Angela president of EU+US !!!!!!!!

My ears were burning, that's why I clicked on this post...my instincts are always impeccable.
smile.gif

It would be the best of all possible worlds and outcomes!
laughing.gif

I promise, it wouldn't be like this....

Or like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eobuu-IexvI

More like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8mmJQYDQAg

As you can see in the following video, you will sometimes have to perform fertility rituals and dances, but the chosen males will no longer be human sacrifices come the New Year!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsV93f8f-VY

oups, :shocked: :banghead:
sorry Angela, :sad2: PLZ FORGIVE ME :heart:

you do not have trade mark of name,

BUT SHE HAS !!!! :79:

mqdefault.jpg

can you imagine as president of US and EU same time? :44: :21:

I pissed my pants

Last edited:
oups, :shocked: :banghead:
sorry Angela, :sad2: PLZ FORGIVE ME :heart:

you do not have trade mark of name,

BUT SHE HAS !!!! :79:

mqdefault.jpg

can you imagine as president of US and EU same time? :44: :21:

I pissed my pants

Well goodness, I've really shown what an egotist I am, haven't I? Everything's always about ME, ME, ME!:grin: Very seriously now, you'd be must better off with me! I can't quite see her presiding over fertility rites, for one thing.:startled: Although I think perhaps she'd do quite well in the second incarnation.

Anyway, I hope you found it amusing...I had fun doing it. :)

My ears were burning, that's why I clicked on this post...my instincts are always impeccable.
smile.gif

It would be the best of all possible worlds and outcomes!
laughing.gif

I promise, it wouldn't be like this....

Or like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eobuu-IexvI

More like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8mmJQYDQAg

As you can see in the following video, you will sometimes have to perform fertility rituals and dances, but the chosen males will no longer be human sacrifices come the New Year!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsV93f8f-VY

LOL! You win all the internets with that one.

This thread has been viewed 43529 times.

Back