Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What characterises people with high IQ's ?

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Welcome to Eupedia Evan. There are more people like you here. You should find our conversations more engaging. ;)

Landlord Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 31

What an extraordinary concentration of single-post accounts.

Suspicious, much?

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Ah, the smart ones get bored quickly. :)
    Or most were with attention deficit disorder, lol.

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 31.0%

I've noticed this too.

However, Ignorance is NOT bliss.

Melusine

Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

If anyone can relate to the article, please contact me.
    I'd like to talk to you. I feel very isolated right now.

Banned Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a2* SNP P312

Ethnic group
    Proto Celtic

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    IQ tests are BS. People all have different talents, and IQ tests are looking for some mean value. There is no mean value man wherever!

I agree that educated parents have more educated children, if they spend time with them.
    But often it's the opposite, if they don't.

I see a lot of children from small businessmen, that lack social behavior, lack technical knowledge.

In general, I see children from left wing people get more attention and education.
    But left wing seems to be a minority in the history of mankind.
    I can't help it, most people are rather stupid.

Great Adventurer Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Level
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 873
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2c1 PF3892+ (Swiss)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4a (Cornish)

Ethnic group
    3/4 Colonial American, 1/8 Cornish, 1/8 Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by Reinaert View Post
    IQ tests are BS. People all have different talents, and IQ tests are looking for some mean value. There is no mean value man wherever!
    IQ tests are undoubtedly accurate... at measuring how good people are at taking IQ tests. There are too many variables, obviously, to have it be a raw measurement of intelligence or reasoning ability. It's like asking why SAT scores in America are different for people of different races and ethnicities. Are IQs different based on race? Maybe... but there are so many variables, that it's ridiculously difficult to isolate.

More accurately, we can look within similar populations to determine what correlates with IQ scores. These do produce interesting correlations, many of which Maciamo mentions. Intelligence is certainly hereditary, to a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinaert View Post
    In general, I see children from left wing people get more attention and education.
    But left wing seems to be a minority in the history of mankind.
    I can't help it, most people are rather stupid.
    I wonder if there are any studies on this? I do notice that left wing people tend to have fewer children to begin with. In San Francisco, it has become an issue that the population has very few children, and those with children move to the suburbs. There's also the issue there in which urban dwellers tend to be more liberal, and urban environments are not always the most conducive to child rearing.

31 days registered100 Experience Points

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I am interested in knowing the source of your comments. If they are from books or journals I would like to know the citations.

Additionally, are you affiliated with a high intelligence society and do you work in the field of psychology?

Quote Originally Posted by k98man View Post
    Reading this also gave me quite a strange feeling.

Thanks for posting this.

I have been told (actually yesterday as I was in a coffee shop) that people with a higher IQ have a specific taste in classical music, BUT also Metal (heavy metal, or rock). He mentioned he read a study, but I don't know how reliable this random German is...
    (by the way my search for this study led me to this thread)

It's understandable how intelligent people like classical music. It's an extremely pure and beautiful form of music which doesn't relate to the normal controversial music and has virtually no "cool" factor. I am a hugh fan of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozartand Johann Sebastian Bach. I also enjoy the choir music from The Red Army Choir and i'm extremely interested in russian history. My friend doesn't really understand why I find it so interesting and always says I want to be russian but then also says I want to be an american due to the fact I use many american words and pronunciations (I'm from england). I also find it hard to understand why he doesn't find it interesting, Especially the Chernobyl disaster when it was such a significant event that effected the entire world. He didn't even understand the basics of nuclear physics! :/

I do like rock groups like matallica but I wish they would put there skills into creating a few classical peices like steve morse has (youtube watch?v=yIu7UA-823Y also watch?v=y-CC2jOVNSI which is a mix of classical and rock). That display of the arts sends chills down my spine and I can solemnly say I have actually cried listening to some of his work.

Here are some of my favourite bands and artists if your interested. Led Zeppelin, Matallica, Toots and Maytals, Bob marley, Jimmy Cliff, The Upsetters, John Lennon, The Who, The Specials, Madness, Mozart, Bach

From Michael Skelton (131 IQ, age 19)

hmm I spelt huge wrong :S

I stumbled across this thread while searching for a connection between extreme self discipline and a possible chemical imbalance. You see of course that I was running out of 'simple' ways to word what I was looking for. I do that a lot. I constantly have to think of smaller words to get my thoughts across to people...
    While reading the OP, I felt a strange sense of calm creep over me and even caught myself smiling when I had only gotten half way through. Maybe I am not a total freak of nature, and I can chalk it all up to having a high IQ. *shrug*
    5 days ago I decided to quit smoking. I have smoked for the better part of 10 years. Since then I have had essentially NO adverse effects. No irritability, no anxiety, no anger. I have kept a journal to document 'possible cravings' since I haven't even experienced 1 full blown craving. And that seems odd to me. I live with a smoker, and the smell of it doesn't seem to effect me either. It doesn't disgust me, it doesn't appeal to me. I am completely indifferent to it since the moment I decided I wanted nothing to do with it.
    It didn't take long for me to compare this mindset/outcome to other areas of my life, as I frequently 'triage' every part of my life. Especially people. I know it is cold, but it keeps things simple. I don't like messes or complications.

What has been bothering me most of all lately, is that I didn't always used to be so disconnected from everyone and everything. I used to be engaging, and doting, and empathetic to everything. Now I am completely unaffected by things that SHOULD bother me, or any other human being... but for some reason I am not.
    I self-analyze ALL THE TIME. I frequently re-evaluate and make corrections where needed. I also seem to lack the filter that keeps people from saying what everyone is thinking. I'm not nice enough to lie. =) On the other hand, I tend to command attention wherever I go. I can absolutely put on my game face which is pleasant, witty, and charming... but inside I am reading the room and the people in it. I can pick a person's personality defects apart in a matter of seconds. I can even identify the clear defects in my own... but I have no explanation as to why I am this way, and whether or not I should try to change. And if I do decide to change, what corrections should I make?
    There you go.. no one asked for that TMI contribution of mine, but maybe just maybe someone on here has some helpful advice. To be honest, had I not read this thread, I would have continued thinking I am the only one like this... and I think ultimately that would have been worse. So thank you in advance for any helpful advice given.

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

I self-analyze ALL THE TIME. I frequently re-evaluate and make corrections where needed. I also seem to lack the filter that keeps people from saying what everyone is thinking. I'm not nice enough to lie. =) On the other hand, I tend to command attention wherever I go. I can absolutely put on my game face which is pleasant, witty, and charming... but inside I am reading the room and the people in it. I can pick a person's personality defects apart in a matter of seconds. I can even identify the clear defects in my own... but I have no explanation as to why I am this way, and whether or not I should try to change. And if I do decide to change, what corrections should I make?
    I think you're doing just fine. Why would you want the change? Are there people not happy with you, or you are unhappy with yourself?

...I have no explanation as to why I am this way,..
    People are mostly born like this, let's call it "nature of a beast"

...and whether or not I should try to change. And if I do decide to change, what corrections should I make?
    Do you want to love everyone, all of the sudden, and pretend they are perfect?
    The easiest way to achieve it is to pop a pill or smoke something. ;)

Welcome to Eupedia :)

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Intelligent or just showing off?

I believe that if you're as intelligent and superior, as all of you people who "recognise themselves" in this post claim you are, you would not need to prove to some random stranger on the internet.

This really makes me laugh.

A genius.. that is unsure of their amazing abilities.. so caught up in evolving their mind.. they are taken back by a post that says you're intelligent if you have these characteristics.
    Well can I just say my cat has those damn characteristics, should I test her IQ?

When you feel so disconnected from the outside world you should really take another look at yourself as a being and see the difference between finding yourself and loving yourself to the point of being selfish.

Truly bright individuals do not need to prove themselves to an "everyday" being, while being competitive I think they are more competitive among their own kind. Just like you never see martial artists starting fights at the pub to prove themselves. People only prove themselves to others, to not only convince the outside world that this is true but also to convince themselves.
    And just because someone has a "high IQ" doesn't make them a better person on the inside. Yet I presume they would be more in control of their frontal lobe, than an average individual but only because they are aware of it.

If your contribution to society is being a smart ass who sits there and brags about how high their level of intelligence is...
    Please. There are enough stuck up people in this world.
    We do not need more.
    If you are a genius then why don't you put your mind to good use.

I only found these posts because my friend wanted to see what an average score for an IQ test is among individuals. And then I found this.

"I recognised so much of myself in these listed characteristics so I just couldn't help myself joining and telling the world."

Sorry, i'm so intelligent
    I cannot help myself

100 Experience Points

Ethnic group
    White

Took me a long time to understand others

I grew up in the UK, and after moving to the USA I often felt unable to communicate with my fellow students at University. They didn't understand my jokes, often steeped in literary references, nor did they care to listen to my explanation of why it was humorous.

As jokes are never funny when they have to be explained, for a time I truly felt that I was socially awkward and unable to connect. Then came the stage of not caring at all what people thought about me, which lead to a perception of being rude or indifferent to others feelings.

Others inability to see beyond the present and extrapolate out how decisions could or would affect the future; at the time was anathema to me and something my logical brain refused to accept.

It took 5 or 6 years to realize that not everyone had my knowledge, intellect, or self-awareness, nor even "cared" about things I know to be important. This is something that I struggle with on a daily basis, especially now as I see the world going up in flames around us with such obvious answers for salvaging the situation.

Sadly, I find myself wishing to be blissfully unaware of the coming dangers that those who just don't see the need to bother themselves with being concerned about.

Perhaps someday I will be able to effect change.

I agree on most things concerning your analysis of folks with higher IQ's than most. When I was very young, a State held IQ test revealed to my family and teachers that I have an IQ of 136. I have found, in support of your analysis, that I am very socially... awkward, would be a good word for it. I agree that I, and people that I know who are in a similar situation, have problems with the majority of our conversations with the general public. I tend to use typically unused words, and I tend to go into too much detail concerning simple questions. I've especially had problems with people asking questions and not listening to answers. In my earlier school days, I had problems with the lessons, and I often failed classes out of boredom ( I say "earlier" school days as I am still young, I am only 17 years of age). I would definitely agree with you saying that high IQ people tend to forget trivial things more; I hardly ever remember to switch the laundry out, or turn off a light behind me, and I can never remember commitments I've made to meet someone somewhere, and things like that. I have no way to conclude this little segment, so I'm going to move on.

For the record, neither of my parents are very intelligent (and I'm not saying this out of some hormonal teen angst, they are just regular people). Neither have college degrees, and both work average jobs. My father cuts steel at a local factory, and my mother is a cosmetologist.

I do often find that people have problems completing similar tasks, even when it comes to manual labor. This has always irritated me. I wish people would just get their jobs done.

I know this is an old post, but maybe someone will add something. I realize that I never made a point, and I never contributed anything of any merit, but it's nice just to share a thought every now and then. Again, I agree with your analysis in general. I find it to nearly match my personality, and it tickles me to see such a mirror image of my own faults and strengths.

Elite member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 215

Quote Originally Posted by Alina View Post
    I believe that if you're as intelligent and superior, as all of you people who "recognise themselves" in this post claim you are, you would not need to prove to some random stranger on the internet.

This really makes me laugh.

A genius.. that is unsure of their amazing abilities.. so caught up in evolving their mind.. they are taken back by a post that says you're intelligent if you have these characteristics.
    Well can I just say my cat has those damn characteristics, should I test her IQ?

When you feel so disconnected from the outside world you should really take another look at yourself as a being and see the difference between finding yourself and loving yourself to the point of being selfish.

Truly bright individuals do not need to prove themselves to an "everyday" being, while being competitive I think they are more competitive among their own kind. Just like you never see martial artists starting fights at the pub to prove themselves. People only prove themselves to others, to not only convince the outside world that this is true but also to convince themselves.
    And just because someone has a "high IQ" doesn't make them a better person on the inside. Yet I presume they would be more in control of their frontal lobe, than an average individual but only because they are aware of it.

If your contribution to society is being a smart ass who sits there and brags about how high their level of intelligence is...
    Please. There are enough stuck up people in this world.
    We do not need more.
    If you are a genius then why don't you put your mind to good use.

I only found these posts because my friend wanted to see what an average score for an IQ test is among individuals. And then I found this.

"I recognised so much of myself in these listed characteristics so I just couldn't help myself joining and telling the world."

Sorry, i'm so intelligent
    I cannot help myself
    Well there is the typical Australian bullying reaction to anyone or anything that is perceived as different from the whole. Cut it down and denegrate it into submission, then everyone else won't seem dumb and ignorant. No wonder Australia's best and brightest all leave if they wish to achieve anything.

Great Adventurer Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Level
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 873
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2c1 PF3892+ (Swiss)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4a (Cornish)

Ethnic group
    3/4 Colonial American, 1/8 Cornish, 1/8 Welsh

This thread is attracting a lot of one-and-done posters. Misunderstood geniuses?

Welcome, all of you. Spread your smarts more around the rest of this forum.

Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 369

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-S26
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1

Ethnic group
    Celtiberians

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
    This thread is attracting a lot of one-and-done posters. Misunderstood geniuses?

Welcome, all of you. Spread your smarts more around the rest of this forum.
    lol, seriously I don't understand what is the point. Makes them look more stupid actually.

Created Album pictures1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 237

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1

Ethnic group
    Germanic

There many IQ tests with different score numbers

Hello, This is my first post. I stumbled across this discussion and decided to join Eupedia.

IQ tests frequently differ in their score numbers. This is the reason high IQ societies
    allow entry on the basis of percentile ranking instead. Mensa, the most common society,
    accepts the 98th percentile or, top two percent. Intertel accepts the top one percent. The Triple Nine Society and ISPE accept the 99.9th percentile of standardized IQ.

As you would expect, persons widely separated on the bell scale have trouble with, for simplicity's sake, communication.

While we all grow up and interact in the same social constructs, the wider the IQ gap, the less easy our intellectual interaction becomes.

High IQ societies are mainly social. Those of us who, being fewer in numbers due to being near one end of the curve, need to socialize with our intellectual peers, just as normal persons do without any need for IQ clubs.

I think some of the commenters here need to contact their local Mensa group's testing proctor and I'm sure they and Mensa would benefit greatly.

I wish all people of all intellectual levels peace and fulfillment.

Ethnic group
    African (aren't we all?)

well let me be the latest in registering just to post here!

all i want to share is IQ/personality tests don't mean jacks**t. i grew up in an environment that emphasized a ridiculous amount of their time and energy in such things, ensuring young "talents" don't go to the drain. so... apparently i am in the top 2% IQ range and i am an ENTJ. oh yeah and i am also in the 6th year of my 4 year law degree (cause i flunked, duh) and did i mention i took my A levels twice? cause the initial results just sucks a$$.

and let me tell you what's really funny... i was doing fine all along. i'm serious. i consistently ranked among the top of the class for my entire school life, and in sports too, right up to the point i was told that i am "special". and special kids need their special classes, special friends, and special teachers. heck we even had special toys! and guess what? we even had to TALK special? jeez~ that has gotta be the most pretentious wannabe moments of my life. how i wish i had the guts back then to tell them to f**K off and just walk out to play with Suzie from the next class.

and now, i see those "un-special" old friends of mine making the big bucks and pursuing their dreams. it's not like i care about the money, i really don't, and apparently, THAT is my problem. "You see, boy, i know money is not important to you, and u think its meaningless, BUT you need money to pursue your interests and your passions" i quote, word for word from my counselor. the SAME person who had previously told me "special" kids like us need not care about money, but should just focus our brainpower to solve the world's problems, because apparently, only we can do it and it's our sacred duty. and the planet needs us.

in a nutshell, IQ tests and the likes f**ks you up. since when has it EVER achieved anything? Isaac Newton had no clue what was his IQ. neither did Leonardo. but somehow, WE know what their IQ is. look what good it did them, not knowing. and what good it did us, placing Newton's IQ at 200.

p/s: sorry if i sound bitter and angry. i think it's because... yeah i AM bitter and angry. and English is NOT my mother tongue. so language/grammar police, please f*ck off. come pick a fight with me in Cantonese.

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Welcome to Eupedia. Check our threads and join discussions.

PS. You can be angry but posting on Eupedia refrain from foul language.

Created Album pictures1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 237

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1

Ethnic group
    Germanic

Why should any Hi-IQ person post here where there seems to be little respect for human dignity?

Thumbs up spot on

I know this thread is 5 years old, but wow. Absolutely spot on.. my IQ is 152, and this thread describes me perfectly. I have never read something that summarized my personality more precisely. This is golden.. Maciamo, if you are the original author of what you posted, well done.

5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 274
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Yes
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Yes

Ethnic group
    German

Exceptionally gifted people care (much) less about what other people think of them, and are less sensitive to praise, and even less to flattery.
    I bet they care less due to the self-esteem they earned after being attested to be super intelligent. I know a few cases from university who performed poorly at school, but later became top performers at university.
    The hereditary factor is again only part of the story. Bad circumstances can easily deactivate ones gifts. Self-esteem, good nutrition and sleep are much underestimated.

Quote Originally Posted by ElHorsto View Post
    I bet they care less due to the self-esteem they earned after being attested to be super intelligent.
    They care less because they quickly realize that what other people think is irrelevant and usually wrong. Even if other people praise them for something, it doesn't matter if they aren't happy with it themselves already. The opposite is also true; if criticized, they will assume the validity of their own opinion over that of the criticizer. You learn from experience that going based on what other people say doesn't work reliably, so you stop doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ElHorsto View Post
    The hereditary factor is again only part of the story. Bad circumstances can easily deactivate ones gifts. Self-esteem, good nutrition and sleep are much underestimated.
    Yes, absolutely.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast