Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: What characterises people with high IQ's ?

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1337 View Post
    Really ? I am impatient but I don't consider myself a high IQ genius. I think there are other or more important traits besides IQ.

What do you think about genes for creativity and other things like motor skills, memory ?
    That is entering the roam of intuition:
    The Role of Intuition in the Generation and Evaluation Stages of Creativity

Our review showed that intuition is associated with both the idea generation and the idea evaluation phases of the creative problem-solving process. Data was pooled together to obtain a more fine-grained picture about where and how intuitive processes are linked with specific stages of creative problem solving. It was found that previous studies connected intuition chiefly to the idea generation phase. Two possible pathways were sketched out explaining the use of intuition in response to ill-defined problems. Finally, intuition, despite being increasingly investigated in psychological research, is still interpreted in a broad, vague manner, and we suggest future empirical research should be directed to test specific hypotheses such as those offered here or by Sadler-Smith (2015) in order to reveal its underlying working mechanisms in creative problem solving.

Ethnic group
    Italian

Really ? I am impatient but I don't consider myself a high IQ genius. I think there are other or more important traits besides IQ.

What do you think about genes for creativity and other things like motor skills, memory ?
    A test for memory is part of any well administered and recognized IQ test.

If by creativity you mean painting, writing etc., you need a certain I.Q., but certainly nothing above 125 or so.

Motor skills have nothing to do with IQ. You can lose most of them, as with Harding, and your IQ is still intact.

Maybe I'd add a certain arrogance to lack of patience. I'm not saying all high IQ people have those traits, nor that people with average IQs might not have them, I'm just saying that having to explain over and over again what is so simple to oneself to people who just don't get and never will it can make one very impatient.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    A test for memory is part of any well administered and recognized IQ test.

If by creativity you mean painting, writing etc., you need a certain I.Q., but certainly nothing above 125 or so.

Motor skills have nothing to do with IQ. You can lose most of them, as with Harding, and your IQ is still intact.

Maybe I'd add a certain arrogance to lack of patience. I'm not saying all high IQ people have those traits, nor that people with average IQs might not have them, I'm just saying that having to explain over and over again what is so simple to oneself to people who just don't get and never will it can make one very impatient.
    Wouldn't someone of high intelligence be able to recognize their own emotional patterns, what provokes them and control their own emotions and try to look at things on the brighter side though ? Some people I know who were school smart got scammed online and I knew it was a scam. I even told him it is a scam but he didn't listen.

Didn't neccessarily say those traits I mentioned have anything to do with IQ, but I don't see how that MENSA test tests for all these abilities. It is mainly about figuring out patterns. Therefor as you said: maybe online tests are useless.

Some people are also naturally gifted people, such as in sports for example, or some sort of skill where it also requires to be creative. Some people are gifted at maths or some sort of engineering. One should surround themselves with people one can learn from. It's also about hard work, having patience and not giving up, i.e being resilient. Even if you are not a super gifted person. One should also surround themselves with positive people and uplift others. This is where I have made mistakes obviously, because I seek negativity and drama.

2 members found this post helpful.
    Wouldn't someone of high intelligence be able to recognize their own emotional patterns, what provokes them and control their own emotions and try to look at things on the brighter side though ? Some people I know who were school smart got scammed online and I knew it was a scam. I even told him it is a scam but he didn't listen.

Didn't neccessarily say those traits I mentioned have anything to do with IQ, but I don't see how that MENSA test tests for all these abilities. It is mainly about figuring out patterns. Therefor as you said: maybe online tests are useless.

Some people are also naturally gifted people, such as in sports for example, or some sort of skill where it also requires to be creative. Some people are gifted at maths or some sort of engineering. One should surround themselves with people one can learn from. It's also about hard work, having patience and not giving up, i.e being resilient. Even if you are not a super gifted person. One should also surround themselves with positive people and uplift others. This is where I have made mistakes obviously, because I seek negativity and drama.
    There is no proven association between wisdom and intelligence.
    Maybe someone should create a WQ?
    I have been hearing about how inaccurate IQ tests supposedly are for the past 40 years, but I have yet to see someone propose something better...

Quote Originally Posted by firetown View Post
    There is no proven association between wisdom and intelligence.
    Maybe someone should create a WQ?
    I have been hearing about how inaccurate IQ tests supposedly are for the past 40 years, but I have yet to see someone propose something better...

Curious though, what do you define as intelligence ? (I am not arguing against you or anything)

the ability to understand and learn well, and to form judgments and opinions based on reason
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...h/intelligence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence

Intelligence has been defined in many ways: the capacity for abstraction, logic, understanding, self-awareness, learning, emotional knowledge, reasoning, planning, creativity, critical thinking, and problem-solving. More generally, it can be described as the ability to perceive or infer information, and to retain it as knowledge to be applied towards adaptive behaviors within an environment or context.

What do you think about emotional intelligence ?

Emotional intelligence (EI) is most often defined as the ability to perceive, use, understand, manage, and handle emotions. People with high emotional intelligence can recognize their own emotions and those of others, use emotional information to guide thinking and behavior, discern between different feelings and label them appropriately, and adjust emotions to adapt to environments.[1] Although the term first appeared in 1964,[2] it gained popularity in the 1995 best-selling book Emotional Intelligence, written by science journalist Daniel Goleman. Goleman defined EI as the array of skills and characteristics that drive leadership performance.[3]
    Emotional intelligence refers to the ability to perceive, control, and evaluate emotions. Some researchers suggest that emotional intelligence can be learned and strengthened, while others claim it is an inborn characteristic
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_intelligence

Curious though, what do you define as intelligence ? (I am not arguing against you or anything)

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...h/intelligence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence

What do you think about emotional intelligence ?
    I am not sure how to even define it, but I know there are people who are highly intuitive who make good decisions based on that intuition without knowing exact details of what they decide on.

Where can I take an accurate IQ test?

Ethnic group
    Greek

They never talk about how high their IQ is

Of course team leaders.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

Ethnic group
    Italian

High IQ people are usually not fat:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3813310/

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

Ethnic group
    Italian

In the past, I have posted a study related to IQ and blood types on my Facebook group and it was raining comments with elevated IQ scores.
    Then I posted this link: https://www.mensa.org/public/mensa-iq-challenge
    and asked for screenshots...
    complete silence!

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283/J-Y197198

Quote Originally Posted by firetown View Post
    In the past, I have posted a study related to IQ and blood types on my Facebook group and it was raining comments with elevated IQ scores.
    Then I posted this link: https://www.mensa.org/public/mensa-iq-challenge
    and asked for screenshots...
    complete silence!
    Funnily enough I remember taking that some years ago when I was bored. Think the result part just suggested to me to take the real Mensa test, as this was just to see if It's even worth attempting. IIRC the time constraint was the real challenge, as when one sees the questions for the first time it can throw one off.

On a side note, I remember taking some similar, albeit less renowned test, with a bit more interesting questions, and I was average in a lot of aspects, "recall"/short term memory being one of those. But I was at the extremes of the bell curve in "abstract thinking" (the one where you have to rotate various shaped objects in your head to find the answer). Again time constraint was the main factor I think.

As a final note, I think given a starting predisposition, one could train for such tests, as the "being thrown off" by time constraints, or interesting type of questions, can be prepared for, and even pattern recognition in the problem solving itself is more than possible.

What are common things with high IQ people? Some of the stuff I have read and heard(Huberman podcast IIRC, but from what I see the research is contradictory/nonconclusive) is that above 135IQ there is a higher prevalence of mental illness such BPD, BD etc. And above 150 there is a stark increase in suicide rates. Not all that glitters is gold.

One large study led by Ruth Karpinski of Pitzer College surveyed more than 3,700 members of Mensa, a society whose members must have an IQ in the top two percent, which is typically about 132 or higher. The team asked about many factors, including mental health. They discovered that mood disorders and anxiety disorders were extremely common among Mensa members.Among the general population, about 10 percent of people have mood disorders and about 10 percent of people have some anxiety disorder, with some degree of overlap between the two. Among Mensa members, those percentages were much higher.
    About 20 percent reported having been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and nearly 27 percent had been diagnosed with a mood disorder such as major depression or bipolar disorder. [See ‘High intelligence: A risk factor for psychological and physiological overexcitabilities for more details about the study.]
    “Man cannot live without a permanent trust in something indestructible in himself, and at the same time that indestructible something as well as his trust in it may remain permanently concealed from him.”

Franz Kafka

Quote Originally Posted by Archetype0ne View Post
    Funnily enough I remember taking that some years ago when I was bored. Think the result part just suggested to me to take the real Mensa test, as this was just to see if It's even worth attempting. IIRC the time constraint was the real challenge, as when one sees the questions for the first time it can throw one off.

On a side note, I remember taking some similar, albeit less renowned test, with a bit more interesting questions, and I was average in a lot of aspects, "recall"/short term memory being one of those. But I was at the extremes of the bell curve in "abstract thinking" (the one where you have to rotate various shaped objects in your head to find the answer). Again time constraint was the main factor I think.

As a final note, I think given a starting predisposition, one could train for such tests, as the "being thrown off" by time constraints, or interesting type of questions, can be prepared for, and even pattern recognition in the problem solving itself is more than possible.

What are common things with high IQ people? Some of the stuff I have read and heard(Huberman podcast IIRC, but from what I see the research is contradictory/nonconclusive) is that above 135IQ there is a higher prevalence of mental illness such BPD, BD etc. And above 150 there is a stark increase in suicide rates. Not all that glitters is gold.
    That doesn't surprise me

Banned

Banned

Realizing modern IQ tests aren't a true measure of intelligence. Reality will always give us the best IQ test there is.

Quote Originally Posted by saraman View Post
    Realizing modern IQ tests aren't a true measure of intelligence. Reality will always give us the best IQ test there is.
    That depends on your "reality" and whether or not analytic abilities are required of you.

Banned

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

Ethnic group
    Italian

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrCarter1231 View Post
    Where can I take an accurate IQ test?
    You can start here:
    https://www.mensa.org/public/mensa-iq-challenge

Quote Originally Posted by BillMC View Post
    I've done a few IQ tests. My scores have varied between 109 and 142. The lowest score was on a televised test and the highest one was an on-line test. I did the supervised MENSA test and scored 135 - this was done in response to a MENSA trial test in a magazine that recommend doing the supervised test if you scored a high enough result on the trial test.

I would not consider myself as being exceptionally intelligent. In fact, I'd say that I am about average. I am useless at problem solving and slow to learn new procedures or skills. Many people actually consider me to be a bit thick.
    Send a screenshot when you're done:
    https://www.mensa.org/public/mensa-iq-challenge

Mine on the online mensa test vary between 105 - 120 , got 120 last time I did.

https://test.mensa.no
    Sorry, apparently this is the same one I posted.

"Musical intelligence" for example would be very hard to measure.
    There are some of have the absolute pitch for example

The frequency of AP in the general population is not known. A proportion of 1 in 10,000 is widely reported, but not supported by evidence;[5] a 2019 review indicated a prevalence of at least 4% amongst music students.[6]

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789