Intelligence What characterises people with high IQ's ?

I've done a few IQ tests. My scores have varied between 109 and 142. The lowest score was on a televised test and the highest one was an on-line test. I did the supervised MENSA test and scored 135 - this was done in response to a MENSA trial test in a magazine that recommend doing the supervised test if you scored a high enough result on the trial test.

I would not consider myself as being exceptionally intelligent. In fact, I'd say that I am about average. I am useless at problem solving and slow to learn new procedures or skills. Many people actually consider me to be a bit thick.

Send a screenshot when you're done:
https://www.mensa.org/public/mensa-iq-challenge

Really ? I am impatient but I don't consider myself a high IQ genius. I think there are other or more important traits besides IQ.

What do you think about genes for creativity and other things like motor skills, memory ?

"Musical intelligence" for example would be very hard to measure.
There are some of have the absolute pitch for example

The frequency of AP in the general population is not known. A proportion of 1 in 10,000 is widely reported, but not supported by evidence;[5] a 2019 review indicated a prevalence of at least 4% amongst music students.[6]

Q: When I was 7 years old in 1992, I was given an IQ test, where I scored 143. What kind of career path would a person like that follow. Also what are typical traits of a person of that IQ?

ChatGPT 4.0:

Firstly, it's important to note that a high IQ score, such as 143, is indicative of high intellectual potential, but it does not predetermine your career path or guarantee success in a particular field. Career success and satisfaction can be influenced by many factors, including personal interests, values, personality traits, and skills, as well as environmental and sociocultural factors.

That being said, individuals with high IQ scores are often capable of complex problem solving and abstract thinking, so they may excel in careers that involve these skills. Such careers could include:

1. **Science and Research**: These fields often require the ability to understand complex concepts, solve problems, and think critically. This could include careers in physics, chemistry, biology, or other scientific disciplines.

2. **Engineering and Technology**: These fields require strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills, both of which are often strengths for individuals with high IQs.

3. **Mathematics**: High IQ individuals often excel in mathematics due to their ability to understand abstract concepts and solve complex problems.

4. **Law and Politics**: These fields require strong verbal and reasoning abilities, which are often strengths for individuals with high IQs.

5. **Medicine**: This field requires a high degree of intellectual capability, particularly in areas like diagnosis and treatment planning.

As for the typical traits of a person with an IQ of 143, here are a few possibilities:

1. **High Problem-Solving Skills**: They may be able to grasp complex ideas and solve intricate problems more easily than others.

2. **Fast Learners**: They often learn new concepts, skills, and information more quickly than average.

3. **Good Memory**: High IQ individuals often have strong memory skills, which can aid in learning and applying knowledge.

4. **Abstract Thinking**: They may excel at understanding and manipulating concepts that are abstract or theoretical.

5. **Highly Creative**: Many high-IQ individuals are highly creative and innovative, and they may come up with novel solutions to problems.

6. **Curiosity**: They often have a high level of curiosity and a thirst for knowledge, which can drive a lifelong interest in learning.

7. **Perfectionism**: Some high-IQ individuals can be perfectionists, setting extremely high standards for themselves and others.

Remember, these are general tendencies and not everyone with a high IQ will exhibit all of these traits. Also, while these traits can be advantages, they can also pose challenges. For instance, high-IQ individuals may sometimes feel out of sync with peers or struggle with perfectionism or high levels of self-criticism.

Finally, it's important to remember that IQ is just one measure of intelligence and potential. Emotional intelligence, social intelligence, creativity, resilience, and many other factors also play crucial roles in life success and happiness.

An IQ score of 110 is considered to be high average on most standardized IQ tests. As with any IQ score, it reflects a measure of cognitive ability but does not fully capture a person's talents, skills, or potential.

**Potential Career Paths**:

Individuals with an IQ score of 110 can excel in a wide variety of careers, as this score suggests an above-average ability to learn new information, solve problems, and understand complex situations. Some potential career paths might include:

1. **Business and Finance**: Roles in business, finance, and administration often require problem-solving skills, strategic thinking, and the ability to learn complex concepts.

2. **Healthcare**: Roles such as nursing, physical therapy, or medical technology can be a good fit, as these often require a combination of practical skills and problem-solving abilities.

3. **Education**: Teaching, educational administration, and curriculum development are roles that often require strong cognitive skills and the ability to understand and communicate complex information.

4. **Technology**: Roles in IT, software development, and data analysis can be a good fit, as these often require problem-solving skills, logical thinking, and the ability to learn complex systems.

5. **Engineering**: This field often requires strong problem-solving skills, the ability to understand complex systems, and strong mathematical abilities.

**Typical Traits**:

While there's a great deal of individual variation, some general tendencies for individuals with an IQ score of 110 might include:

1. **Fast Learning**: They may learn new information, skills, and concepts more quickly than average.

2. **Problem-Solving Skills**: They are often capable of solving complex problems and understanding intricate situations.

3. **Abstract Thinking**: They may be comfortable with abstract concepts and theoretical ideas.

4. **Good Memory**: They might have a stronger than average memory, aiding in learning and applying knowledge.

5. **Adaptability**: They can often adapt to new situations and learn new skills as required.

Remember, these are general tendencies, and individual characteristics can vary widely. Personal factors such as interests, motivation, experience, and environment play a significant role in career success and personal development.

Certainly, let's focus on the potential career paths and traits of an individual with an IQ score of 100, which is considered average:

An individual with an average IQ can succeed in a wide range of careers, as cognitive ability is just one factor that contributes to job performance. Important factors also include interest in the job, personality fit, and relevant skills. Some potential career paths might include:

1. **Healthcare**: This can range from medical technicians to nursing, healthcare administration, and many more.

2. **Education**: Roles such as teaching, school administration, and support staff.

3. **Business**: Roles in management, sales, marketing, human resources, and more.

4. **Arts and Entertainment**: This can include roles such as graphic design, writing, acting, and music.

5. **Trades**: Electricians, plumbers, carpenters, and other skilled trades require a mix of practical skills and problem-solving.

6. **Service Industries**: Roles in hospitality, customer service, and other service industries can be a good fit for people who are socially oriented.

7. **Technology**: Positions in IT support, web development, and other areas of technology are accessible with the right training and skills.

**Typical Traits**:

While it's important to remember that people with an average IQ are a diverse group with a wide range of skills and personalities, some general tendencies might include:

1. **Adaptable Learning**: They usually have the ability to learn new information and skills at an average pace.

2. **Problem-Solving Skills**: They are often capable of solving everyday problems effectively.

3. **Practical Thinking**: They might excel in thinking practically and applying common sense.

4. **Social Skills**: IQ doesn't measure social intelligence, so people with an average IQ can have excellent social skills.

5. **Motivation and Work Ethic**: With the right motivation and work ethic, they can achieve their career goals.

6. **Skill Development**: They are capable of developing a wide range of skills with practice and experience.

7. **Creativity**: Like anyone else, people with an average IQ can be creative and innovative.

These are general tendencies, and individual characteristics can vary widely. Personal factors, such as interests, motivation, and experience, play a significant role in career success and personal development.

An IQ score of 90 is considered a little below average on most standardized IQ tests. As always, it's important to stress that an IQ score represents a measure of cognitive ability and does not fully encompass a person's talents, skills, or potential.

Individuals with an IQ score of 90 can excel in various careers, especially those that value practical skills, interpersonal skills, and hands-on learning. Some potential career paths might include:

1. **Trades**: Jobs such as carpenter, electrician, plumber, or mechanic can be suitable, as these roles often require practical, hands-on skills.

2. **Service Industries**: Roles in retail, customer service, or hospitality can be a good fit, as these often require interpersonal skills and a strong work ethic.

3. **Healthcare Support**: Positions such as home health aide or nursing assistant can be suitable, as they often require empathy, patience, and practical skills.

4. **Transportation**: Jobs such as delivery driver or warehouse worker can be a good match.

5. **Manufacturing and Production**: Jobs in these fields often require practical skills and the ability to follow procedures.

**Typical Traits**:

While there's a great deal of individual variation, some general tendencies for individuals with an IQ score of 90 might include:

1. **Practical Learning**: They may learn best through hands-on experiences and practical applications.

2. **Interpersonal Skills**: IQ doesn't measure social intelligence, so individuals with an IQ of 90 can have strong interpersonal skills.

3. **Concrete Thinking**: They might be more comfortable with concrete, tangible information over abstract concepts.

4. **Adaptability**: They can adapt to various situations and learn new skills as required.

5. **Work Ethic**: Many individuals with below-average IQs have a strong work ethic and can be reliable and dedicated employees.

Remember, these are general tendencies, and individual characteristics can vary widely. Personal factors such as interests, motivation, experience, and environment play a significant role in career success and personal development.

An IQ score of 80 is considered below average on most standardized IQ tests. However, it's important to remember that an IQ score is only one measure of cognitive ability and does not encompass the full range of a person's abilities, skills, or potential.

Individuals with an IQ score of 80 can succeed in a variety of careers, especially those that value practical skills, hands-on learning, and interpersonal skills. Some potential career paths might include:

1. **Trades**: Positions such as construction worker, plumber, electrician, or mechanic can be a good fit, as these roles often value practical, hands-on skills.

2. **Service Industries**: Roles in retail, food service, or customer service can be a good fit, as these often require good interpersonal skills and a strong work ethic more than abstract reasoning abilities.

3. **Transportation**: Jobs such as bus driver, delivery driver, or warehouse worker can be suitable options.

4. **Healthcare Support**: Roles such as home health aide or nursing assistant can be a good fit, as these roles often require empathy, patience, and the ability to learn practical skills.

5. **Manufacturing and Production**: Jobs in these fields often value practical skills and the ability to follow procedures.

**Typical Traits**:

While there's a great deal of individual variation, some general tendencies for individuals with an IQ score of 80 might include:

1. **Practical Learning**: They may learn best through hands-on experiences and practical applications.

2. **Interpersonal Skills**: IQ doesn't measure social intelligence, so individuals with an IQ of 80 can have strong interpersonal skills.

3. **Persistence**: They might excel in tasks that require persistence and routine.

4. **Concrete Thinking**: They might prefer concrete, tangible information over abstract concepts.

5. **Skill Development**: With practice and experience, they can develop a wide range of practical skills.

6. **Work Ethic**: Many individuals with below-average IQs have a strong work ethic and can be highly valued employees.

As always, these are general tendencies, and individual characteristics can vary widely. Personal factors such as interests, motivation, experience, and environment play a significant role in career success and personal development.

It seems that it goes as follows:

110+ IQ is capable of Abstract thinking. (They may excel at understanding and manipulating concepts that are abstract or theoretical.)

100 is capable of Practical Thinking (They might excel in thinking practically and applying common sense.)

90 and below are only capable of Concrete thinking (
They might be more comfortable with concrete, tangible information over abstract concepts.)

I guess that's why you constantly need to speak with a manager, because odds are the lower-level person has a ridged concrete way of thinking because of low-IQ. All of these people losing their jobs to an AI-kiosk with hydraulic arms is a comforting prospect.

It seems that it goes as follows:

110+ IQ is capable of Abstract thinking. (They may excel at understanding and manipulating concepts that are abstract or theoretical.)

100 is capable of Practical Thinking (They might excel in thinking practically and applying common sense.)

90 and below are only capable of Concrete thinking (
They might be more comfortable with concrete, tangible information over abstract concepts.)

I guess that's why you constantly need to speak with a manager, because odds are the lower-level person has a ridged concrete way of thinking because of low-IQ. All of these people losing their jobs to an AI-kiosk with hydraulic arms is a comforting prospect.

This is likely why high IQ people do not like to be around those with lower IQs. The conversations get boring. However, I would like to argue that the practical thinkers also get tired of the concrete thinkers easily. They may complain about abstract thinkers not wanting to be around them, but having an IQ difference of 10 and above likely makes conversations very difficult across the board.

I was once in such managerial position and most managers had a hard time communicating things to those they were in charge of. There were however always a few practical thinkers who took on the role of middlemen between management and those who had to be programmed to complete their tasks.

Flexibility in general, I think, is a sign of having a high IQ. Being able to adjust, analyze etc. With that also comes a mindset where those with limited capabilities tend to ask you how to do something without ever trying anything new on their own while the practical ones have more ambition to figure something out.

I was going to post this a while back when you shared the study showing high IQ people not interested in being friends with lower IQ people. Energy vampirism comes to mind. Having to be available and being made to feel responsible for other people's performances can be a drag and lower your own motivation significantly.

This is likely why high IQ people do not like to be around those with lower IQs. The conversations get boring. However, I would like to argue that the practical thinkers also get tired of the concrete thinkers easily. They may complain about abstract thinkers not wanting to be around them, but having an IQ difference of 10 and above likely makes conversations very difficult across the board.

I was once in such managerial position and most managers had a hard time communicating things to those they were in charge of. There were however always a few practical thinkers who took on the role of middlemen between management and those who had to be programmed to complete their tasks.

Flexibility in general, I think, is a sign of having a high IQ. Being able to adjust, analyze etc. With that also comes a mindset where those with limited capabilities tend to ask you how to do something without ever trying anything new on their own while the practical ones have more ambition to figure something out.

I was going to post this a while back when you shared the study showing high IQ people not interested in being friends with lower IQ people. Energy vampirism comes to mind. Having to be available and being made to feel responsible for other people's performances can be a drag and lower your own motivation significantly.

To me is this qualification in IQ in points upwards in combination with work that they may or may not be able to fulfill, kind of abject, and also completely disconnected from reality. There are more qualities than sec IQ that explain good social functioning.....Staring to death on sec iq? Sounds like very one dimensional.

And people with a high IQ always have an interesting conversation? Some people with autism have a high IQ (=asperger), which is not always a guarantee for an interesting conversation (nothing to the detriment of autistics, by the way). There are people with an average IQ where you can probably just as well have a witty conversation or a conversation marked by life wisdom..... In short: I think IQ is pretty overrated in this thread!

Maybe IQ isn't enough, if a high IQ person is stultified by low IQ peers in a low IQ society.

When this is true it's sad enough on the other hand to say it frankly that person could imho also be a snob.

When this is true it's sad enough on the other hand to say it frankly that person could imho also be a snob.

Snob or not, IQ is quantifiable.

High IQ people are those who will be selected by nature, and low IQ will be phased out. People are afraid of AI; they should be. That's a natural instinct, because AI/robotics will eliminate their utility, and ultimately they themselves. All the SJW lip-service in the world cannot stop the temptation of low-cost/high productivity. The only people who will survive are those how are smart enough to get ahead of the curve and use it, or people with generational wealth.

Snob or not, IQ is quantifiable.
High IQ people are those who will be selected by nature, and low IQ will be phased out. People are afraid of AI; they should be. That's a natural instinct, because AI/robotics will eliminate their utility, and ultimately they themselves. All the SJW lip-service in the world cannot stop the temptation of low-cost/high productivity. The only people who will survive are those how are smart enough to get ahead of the curve and use it, or people with generational wealth.

And quantifiable is the alfa and omega?

In the end AI will overate everyone in IQ, even GPT4 has already an iq higher than average.

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2023/...-of-114-and-is-smart-than-average-human.html#

In the end the 'human touch' gives the difference, wisdom and creativity......and no that's not quantifiable.....

What kind of a society do we have today? Because it doesn't seem to reflect your sentiment. imho.

Why do you think it doesn't reflect my sentiment with regard to my postings?

This thread has been viewed 869512 times.

Back