• Yes

Votes: 28 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 34 50.0%
  • unsure

Votes: 6 8.8%

• Total voters
Koji said:
. Last year in Turky a new law was past saying women can't wear shots, short sleaves, or sandels .

I don' think that's correct. Turkey has a secular state, and is not a Muslim state like many people think. True, they do have a majority of people being of the Muslim religion, but the State of Turkey itself is secular.

deborah gormley said:
@koji

WOW nows theres something I did'nt know!
Thank god I dont live in turkey I'd be burn at the stake, haha

I should tell this one to my turkish friend :D

Seriously though, last summer I went to Antalya and Kemer, Western Turkey by the sea, great place for vacation, and all the girls I saw were dressed in shorts, tops, skirts etc, showing exact amount of flesh as the girls back here in Western Europe .:p Also, Turkey is a very popular location for British tourists, especially adolescent girls lookin for an adventure with men from the mysterious orient :blush: :blush: :p :p. Kidding about this part, but is true that a lot of british tourists and many other western europeans hit western Turkey every year. Where I was staying, in Kemer, it was mostly Russian tourits, and trust me, those Russian girls really want to get some sun exposore, so this law about now wearing shorts or watever seems a little dubious :? .
I just had to get that out, didnt' mean to offend anyone, just saying what I saw personally.

Back to the issue of men and women, I think that yes men and women are both equal in nature. Both fulfill a distinct role of the same value and are therefore equal in the purpose of life. However, this is not to say that men and women are the SAME. I feel that this is a misconception that a lot of feminst have. Also I do think that today women are dominated by men, not in the sense of restrainment of freedoms, but in the sense that many women keep seeing themselves through a man's eyes. Until women break this spell, we men will continue to have a slight upper hand in society, but also let's not forget that is the female sex that decides on our gene flow, meaning they have more sexual control on men than vice versa, so this kind of brings us in an equilibrium if u will.

I feel men and women are equal and should be. But, I think they are not treated equal especially by laws and work.

Women equal to men, Ha! Us men might make it some day but for now we suffer :)
Seriously though, equal rights still has a long way to go in society. There still exists a glass ceiling for most women when climbing the career ladder and countries are still run by a majority of men. This might annoy a few people, but I see America having a black president before they have a female one. It's all to do with who earns the most, and most millionaires are men.
As for biology, men and women will never be equal. Evolution made the sexes different because of the function each one has in the social gruop. Men hunt, that is why men have a better spacial awareness than women. To be able to judge distances, when to attack. Women have better peripherial vision because they were the gathers. Better to see around you when searching for food and keeping an eye on the children. You can't change that, it's biological, despite what the PC lobby wants to believe.

Men and women can never be equal because women are much stronger and smarter.

Sally_Hawn said:
Men and women can never be equal because women are much stronger and smarter.

Men and women can never be equal because men are much stronger and smarter ;)

Duo said:
Men and women can never be equal because men are much stronger and smarter ;)

I haven't encountered such a bizarre comment in a long time. I suppose you think blacks can never be equal to whites because they are [insert adjective] and [insert adjective].

The discussion about men being equal to women is a moot point anyway. It is much more productive to encourage diversity which gives enpowerement and freedom rather than focusing on the things that men can do but women can't, or vice versa. Do we say horses are not equal to cows because they cannot supply milk in the same way? Of course not, but we take into account what each species' strengths are and utilize them.

Index said:
I haven't encountered such a bizarre comment in a long time. I suppose you think blacks can never be equal to whites because they are [insert adjective] and [insert adjective].

The discussion about men being equal to women is a moot point anyway. It is much more productive to encourage diversity which gives enpowerement and freedom rather than focusing on the things that men can do but women can't, or vice versa. Do we say horses are not equal to cows because they cannot supply milk in the same way? Of course not, but we take into account what each species' strengths are and utilize them.

I was just being sarcastic about the post above mine, plese scroll up :souka:

Index said:

Horses aren't equal to cows? I'll have to go to the species equality board for this. Who said political correctness has gone mad :D

Are men a women equal? Yes and no. It really depends on how you look at it. In some aspects men and women are like two peas in a pod and are the same. In other aspects men and women are complete opposites like like beef, chicken, or pork. They each have their own flavor and properties that make them different. Sure as human beings men and women are equal and should be treated as equals, but there are too many differences to just say men and women are equal down to last red blood cell.

Doc

As far as life-worth, yes men and women are equal. As far as politically, women are not equal. As much as we want it can never happen. Humans are a patriarcle species like a lion, chimpanzees, ect. as opposed to matriarcle species such as hyenas, bees, or ants.

I think it needs to remain this way to a certain extent. I think it is man's role to lead, provide, and take care of his woman and his family. Even give his life up if he had too. That is why he was created/evolved to be stronger than the female. So I am against women taking leadership positions such as prime minister or president. Even if a woman would make a just as good leader, I feel it is not their place in society. Also because I think it is up to the man to protect his woman, I don't think women should be in the military or police force. Just my opinion. I also think that unless the woman in the family has to help support her family that she should stay in the home and take care of her kids. I think children are best raised by their mothers rather than some day-care organization.

I am however very against unequal pay in the workforce toward women, and believe women should participate in society as much as men, including voting. I still think though some roles should be kept unto men such as leadership, protection, and main bread-winner. Just my opinion.

Men and women are not necessarily equal in biological terms because their bodies are different. But they have equal by intelligence.

equal yes

the same = no

I think it should be fairly obvious that women are, on average, more intelligent and more socially adept than men. However, we men have an advantage in terms of brute strength, and that's often used unfairly to deny women economic, legal and social equality. How do we fix this problem? Laws can help, but social change is also necessary. I think one important step is to help men see that being stuck in a rigidly defined social order is also harmful to men. Instead of complaining about male privilege (even though they have a point), it might be more useful for feminists to explain how inequality is damaging on both sides of the equation.

I think it should be fairly obvious that women are, on average, more intelligent and more socially adept than men. However, we men have an advantage in terms of brute strength, and that's often used unfairly to deny women economic, legal and social equality. How do we fix this problem? Laws can help, but social change is also necessary. I think one important step is to help men see that being stuck in a rigidly defined social order is also harmful to men. Instead of complaining about male privilege (even though they have a point), it might be more useful for feminists to explain how inequality is damaging on both sides of the equation.

Key male advantage is not brutal strength.

Key advantage is strategic thinking.

How men developed better strategic thinking, probably due to hunting.

Women did not go to hunt and they did not develop strategic thinking as men.

To hunt animals especially large animals men had to make different strategies.

Key male advantage is not brutal strength.

Key advantage is strategic thinking.

How men developed better strategic thinking, probably due to hunting.

Women did not go to hunt and they did not develop strategic thinking as men.

To hunt animals especially large animals men had to make different strategies.

it is not a matter of intelligence
it is a matter of interests

i am a civil engineer
when i graduated 3 % was female
when my son graduated 15 % was female
i don't think it will increase much more

some professions are male, others are female

denying the differences is stupid
the differences are both physical and in the way of thinking

i am a civil engineer
when i graduated 3 % was female
when my son graduated 15 % was female
i don't think it will increase much more

some professions are male, others are female

denying the differences is stupid
the differences are both physical and in the way of thinking

Serious scientific research show that males are strategic, competitive, have more self-confident, take risk, believe more in yourself.

Women in two person competition avoid competitive schemes and they fail compete appropriately, also women have lower level of self-confidence and avoid taking risks.

And, after that, you're right, yes, denying differences is stupid.

scientific research! fiddle sticks!

Serious scientific research show that males are strategic, competitive, have more self-confident, take risk, believe more in yourself.

Women in two person competition avoid competitive schemes and they fail compete appropriately, also women have lower level of self-confidence and avoid taking risks.

And, after that, you're right, yes, denying differences is stupid.

Who dominates the scientific research? Men do of course and are they going to say anything that puts them in a bad light? of course not. Women are infinitely better..there is no denying it.
God made man first but a master all ways makes a rough draft before the final masterpiece.

Consider the asserts.
Beauty
brains
shrewdness
They are the glue that holds communities together.
They work through a cooperative spirit (although there some these days deluded enough to try to be like men)
They are compassionate.
And of course self-confident.

Men have some assets but denying differences is stupid.. women are clearly superior.

Who dominates the scientific research? Men do of course and are they going to say anything that puts them in a bad light? of course not. Women are infinitely better..there is no denying it.
God made man first but a master all ways makes a rough draft before the final masterpiece.

Consider the asserts.
Beauty
brains
shrewdness
They are the glue that holds communities together.
They work through a cooperative spirit (although there some these days deluded enough to try to be like men)
They are compassionate.
And of course self-confident.

Men have some assets but denying differences is stupid.. women are clearly superior.

Finally we get the truth! :) Physically, of course, there's no question. Nature designed it that way. Unfortunately, in terms of survival of the species, men are more expendable than women, at least while women are of child bearing age. Even in terms of "traits", I think it's perhaps slightly tilted in our favor. However, it's better not to confront the men with these facts. All that "self-confidence" is a bluff in my experience, bravado rather than confidence, and the male ego is actually rather fragile. Women are just more realistic.

Seriously, there are obviously some differences between the "average" male and the "average" female, but there is overlap at the margins to some extent. Was anyone "tougher" than Golda Meir or Margaret Thatcher, no matter what you thought of their politics? The important thing is that it takes both sets of traits to make the world go round.

Now I'll reveal my own stereotyping...for any profession where I want someone who is a worrier and pays a lot of attention to detail, I tend to hire women. So, all my doctors are women. They also have more compassion for suffering, and are more willing to listen instead of jumping to a diagnosis. My tax accountant and my tax lawyer are also women. So is my estate planner. I want careful, meticulous work, and I don't want the IRS to come calling. In other words, I don't want slick Lennie with all his questionable loopholes and flying by the seat of his pants. I want someone who's done her homework.

If I were acting as defense counsel, I would normally hope for a female judge, unless, of course, she used to be a prosecutor. If I'm acting for the prosecution, a male with experience in law enforcement would be ideal. So, if I don't have personal knowledge of the professional, I do tend to rely on these kinds of stereotypes.

You know, upon reflection, almost everyone I employ is a woman. The only exception is in very male dominated fields where there isn't much choice. I guess that shows how I feel about the relative strengths and weaknesses of each sex. :)

Finally we get the truth! :) Physically, of course, there's no question. Nature designed it that way. Unfortunately, in terms of survival of the species, men are more expendable than women, at least while women are of child bearing age. Even in terms of "traits", I think it's perhaps slightly tilted in our favor. However, it's better not to confront the men with these facts. All that "self-confidence" is a bluff in my experience, bravado rather than confidence, and the male ego is actually rather fragile. Women are just more realistic.

Seriously, there are obviously some differences between the "average" male and the "average" female, but there is overlap at the margins to some extent. Was anyone "tougher" than Golda Meir or Margaret Thatcher, no matter what you thought of their politics? The important thing is that it takes both sets of traits to make the world go round.

Now I'll reveal my own stereotyping...for any profession where I want someone who is a worrier and pays a lot of attention to detail, I tend to hire women. So, all my doctors are women. They also have more compassion for suffering, and are more willing to listen instead of jumping to a diagnosis. My tax accountant and my tax lawyer are also women. So is my estate planner. I want careful, meticulous work, and I don't want the IRS to come calling. In other words, I don't want slick Lennie with all his questionable loopholes and flying by the seat of his pants. I want someone who's done her homework.

If I were acting as defense counsel, I would normally hope for a female judge, unless, of course, she used to be a prosecutor. If I'm acting for the prosecution, a male with experience in law enforcement would be ideal. So, if I don't have personal knowledge of the professional, I do tend to rely on these kinds of stereotypes.

You know, upon reflection, almost everyone I employ is a woman. The only exception is in very male dominated fields where there isn't much choice. I guess that shows how I feel about the relative strengths and weaknesses of each sex. :)

like i told in my previous post

generally men are more competitive
modern society has abolished competitiveness
women feel better in such societies than men

the future will tell whether such societies are better or not

This thread has been viewed 76686 times.

Back