Genetics of the British and Irish people

Spot on, Yorkie. It's easy for the metropolitan politicos and journalists to paint us all as multi-cultural, but the DNA and cultural heritage constitutes the vast majority of the population.

As you and I both know, Chris, emotional and political forces conspire to convince the British that the old 'Anglo-Saxon' and 'Celtic' identities are meaningless, urging us to embrace 'multi-culturalism'. In reality, 'multi-culturalism' merely equates to surface changes in popular culture, i.e, Chicken Tikka Masala replacing Fish and Chips as the 'nation's favourite dish' rather than to a new epoch in which 'racial harmony' has been achieved and old grudges buried forever.

The population underwent a great upheaval at the zenith of the Industrial Revolution, and since the 1950s has witnessed mass immigration from the Third World, but census returns show that 94% of the people are still of this white, 'Anglo-Saxon-Celtic' ethnicity. As Bodmer's team have shown, many of the 'old' patterns of distinctive phenotypical aggregates still remain. I for one find that rather splendid.

Don't forget, Britain consists of four lands-England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. The large British cities may contain 'multi-racial' populations in their inner-cities, but there are still distinct, phenotypical patterns to be discerned in the populations outside of the large cities. Recently, Robin McKie's The Face of Britain book and tv series [ drawing on the work of Sir Walter Bodmer and his team] made this very clear. Just taking regions within England as an example, there were discernible patterns in terms of the aggregates of facial characteristics between, say, Devon and East Anglia. These phenotypical differences in the still 94% 'white' British population reflect the differing degrees of Germanic and Celtic admixture.

Shouldn't you have said the UK? Last time I looked at a map Britain was an island seperate from the northern part of Ireland.

As you and I both know, Chris, emotional and political forces conspire to convince the British that the old 'Anglo-Saxon' and 'Celtic' identities are meaningless, urging us to embrace 'multi-culturalism'. In reality, 'multi-culturalism' merely equates to surface changes in popular culture, i.e, Chicken Tikka Masala replacing Fish and Chips as the 'nation's favourite dish' rather than to a new epoch in which 'racial harmony' has been achieved and old grudges buried forever.

The population underwent a great upheaval at the zenith of the Industrial Revolution, and since the 1950s has witnessed mass immigration from the Third World, but census returns show that 94% of the people are still of this white, 'Anglo-Saxon-Celtic' ethnicity. As Bodmer's team have shown, many of the 'old' patterns of distinctive phenotypical aggregates still remain. I for one find that rather splendid.

The same problems are assailing us on this side also. Our children learn nothing about what cultural forces and individual personalities came into play in creating our society. Those things are supposed to be treated as if they did not exist or had no bearing on any outcome.

The 'identities" that you mentioned, and I would include other ones of Europe, only survive by the efforts of those who refuse to accept this willful ignorance.

Shouldn't you have said the UK? Last time I looked at a map Britain was an island seperate from the northern part of Ireland.
Oh dear, yawn...I sense a 'terrible beauty' being born...:wary2:

ps There are two 'a's in 'separate'. Or at least there were the last time I looked.

Oh dear, yawn...I sense a 'terrible beauty' being born...:wary2:

ps There are two 'a's in 'separate'. Or at least there were the last time I looked.

Yawn all you like. I misplace a letter, you misplace a region. :indifferent:

Yawn all you like. I misplace a letter, you misplace a region. :indifferent:
Britain consists of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Whether you like it or not, the Irish Republic signed away its claim on Northern Ireland. Physical geography doesn't seem to count for much in the world of politics. :LOL:

Britain consists of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Whether you like it or not, the Irish Republic signed away its claim on Northern Ireland. Physical geography doesn't seem to count for much in the world of politics. :LOL:

Britain consists of England, Scotland and Wales.

The UK consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

The UK is a political entity, Britain is an island.

The removal of articles 2 and 3 from Bunreacht na hEireann bears no relationship to the historical planting of British people into Ireland to maintain conrtol over Ireland. We waited 700 years for ye to get out of 26 counties, we can wait another 100 for the last 6. Demographics may make it happen sooner.

Britain consists of England, Scotland and Wales.

The UK consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

The UK is a political entity, Britain is an island.

The removal of articles 2 and 3 from Bunreacht na hEireann bears no relationship to the historical planting of British people into Ireland to maintain conrtol over Ireland. We waited 700 years for ye to get out of 26 counties, we can wait another 100 for the last 6. Demographics may make it happen sooner.

Who is 'ye'? How do you know where my political and national sympathies lie?
You had to respond didn't you, eh? LOL. You just couldn't shrug your shoulders and walk away. Like a big fat Tench, you took the bait...:LOL:

Well, let's hope that this one does not devolve into another Macedonians thread.

My Irish side (1/2) has been here in the US since the 1920s, so I guess that I don't rate any further comments.:cool-v:

Hehe, Europeans love their wars, I guess. I don't mind hot discussion and people say their piece. This is how we learn the other side of the story, and not only what you learnt from local schools/government and your parents. As long as we are civilized and treat people with respect, we'll be fine.
The happy ending is when people find more commonalities, and go over their historic pains, and work together towards strong, prosperous and peaceful Europe or the world in general.

Fair enough.
To be honest, I was being tongue-in-cheek. The players involved in this thread are not of that type anyway.

Who is 'ye'? How do you know where my political and national sympathies lie?
You had to respond didn't you, eh? LOL. You just couldn't shrug your shoulders and walk away. Like a big fat Tench, you took the bait...:LOL:

"Ye" would be British interference in Irish affairs. I don't know where your political or national sympathies lie but if you display a pompous attitude towards the geopolitical makeup of the UK and deliberately goad another poster you will get a response.

Why wouldn't I respond? Why should I shrug my shoulders and walk away?

"Ye" would be British interference in Irish affairs. I don't know where your political or national sympathies lie but if you display a pompous attitude towards the geopolitical makeup of the UK and deliberately goad another poster you will get a response.

Why wouldn't I respond? Why should I shrug my shoulders and walk away?

Your last sentence says it all, really...

I have never 'interfered' in Irish affairs, though I once wrote a letter to Terry Wogan.

Your last sentence says it all, really...

I have never 'interfered' in Irish affairs, though I once wrote a letter to Terry Wogan.

Does it? You may never have interfered personally but if you are British your attitude doesn't surprise me.

You can try and be flippant all you like and issue trite remarks ad infinitum.

Does it? You may never have interfered personally but if you are British your attitude doesn't surprise me.

You can try and be flippant all you like and issue trite remarks ad infinitum.

I realise that you desire a 'united Ireland'. Frankly, you can have one for me. Unfortunately, neither the British nor Irish government seem likely to bring this about. Scratch the surface and a vast majority of English have some Irish genes [me included], and there is no such thing as inherited ethnic guilt so you do not need to refer to me as 'Ye'.

I realise that you desire a 'united Ireland'. Frankly, you can have one for me. Unfortunately, neither the British nor Irish government seem likely to bring this about. Scratch the surface and a vast majority of English have some Irish genes [me included], and there is no such thing as inherited ethnic guilt so you do not need to refer to me as 'Ye'.

Its nothing to do with my desires, nor the capacity of the British or Irish governments, nor the existence or not of an 'inherited ethnic guilt'. I pointed out an error in your post on what Britain consists of. You persisted with that error, then went on to belittle an independence movement with your yawn and 'terrible beauty' jibe followed by a childish spellcheck. You continued in this vein in subsequent posts and then expect me not to respond. Having an arrogant British attitude will get you put in the 'ye' box:)

Its nothing to do with my desires, nor the capacity of the British or Irish governments, nor the existence or not of an 'inherited ethnic guilt'. I pointed out an error in your post on what Britain consists of. You persisted with that error, then went on to belittle an independence movement with your yawn and 'terrible beauty' jibe followed by a childish spellcheck. You continued in this vein in subsequent posts and then expect me not to respond. Having an arrogant British attitude will get you put in the 'ye' box:)

I know, I know, I'm a terrible man aren't I? Of course, it goes without saying that 'the Bratash' are responsible for each and every ill that has ever befallen Ireland. Please forgive me/us. I apologise unreservedly about, well..everything really, from geographical boundary errors to Strongbow's Cambro-Norman invasions and the susequent 'thousand years of British interference in Irish affairs' leading to the present, inconvenient and costly situation. Will that do?

I promise to vote for Ireland in the Eurovision Song Contest, and to drink Guinness instead of insipid, warm Bitter. Your 'crack' [if you'll pardon the expression] is infinitely superior to our British mumblings and grumblings. Thankyou for Bushmills, Beckett, Joyce, Donal Lunny and Christy Moore. You can keep Bono...

Seriously, sorry for the jibe.

Lol, I love this apology. First class Yorkie!
Eireannach, I know there are grievances from past history, and probably half of the world can say it to GB. I liked your responses too, smart and you kept it civilised. Great exchange guys.
Peace then. :)

I know, I know, I'm a terrible man aren't I? Of course, it goes without saying that 'the Bratash' are responsible for each and every ill that has ever befallen Ireland. Please forgive me/us. I apologise unreservedly about, well..everything really, from geographical boundary errors to Strongbow's Cambro-Norman invasions and the susequent 'thousand years of British interference in Irish affairs' leading to the present, inconvenient and costly situation. Will that do?

I promise to vote for Ireland in the Eurovision Song Contest, and to drink Guinness instead of insipid, warm Bitter. Your 'crack' [if you'll pardon the expression] is infinitely superior to our British mumblings and grumblings. Thankyou for Bushmills, Beckett, Joyce, Donal Lunny and Christy Moore. You can keep Bono...

Seriously, sorry for the jibe.

(y)

P.S. can you please take Bono?

This thread has been viewed 154899 times.

Back