Genetic make-up of France

Romans did not move en masse to Gaul.

They established many cities and colonies where retired veterans with families settled.

They established many cities and colonies where retired veterans with families settled.

I have news for you: that's not the definition of a folk migration, not in Gaul at least. I'm not saying there'd be necessarily no trace, but for "significant" change to the genome you need more. There weren't all that many families in each colony, and they were surrounded by "locals".

Parts of Italy are a different story.

Romancoloniae.jpg

They're missing Luni, which isn't very far from me.

Despite that cluster in Spain, for example, Ralph and Coop could find no IBD between Italy and Spain since the Bronze Age, and they were looking at very tiny segments.

Why does a mention of skintone scare you people so much? It is a great indication of your ancestry! I'm not saying it is the only one by any means but when used together with different traits you get a much better glimpse into where that individual is descended from......
..........................isn't it.

France also has been for the last century and a half a hot spot of European emigration and non European immigration. France was among the first countries in the world who pioneered industrialization (Eiffel Tower is the symbol of that time) and drew huge number of emigrants to work in their mines and factories. Italians, Russians maybe Spaniards were drawn in huge numbers. Colonialist times have left their genetic imprint as well. So indeed France is a genetically complex country and I will not be surprised that 40% of French genes are of immigrant settlers or colonial countries. They have had in very short Time more than two non French presidents (Holland, Sarkozy ).
If we want to look at genetic history of large countries like France, Italy, Germany I think a better way is tow follow spoken dialects boundaries. Dialects are evidence of ancient ethnicitys being absorbed by a larger ethnic group. Let say Italy I know has the Sicilian dialect. Before they were absorbed by the Latins the spoke their own language. The differences in spoken language were quite large that's why the countries opted for the standardized national languages.
So my point is if the genetic studies are conducted according to dialect areas will have a better picture of genetic history of France. There should have been more ethnicities absorbed by latinised Franks. Emigration is a huge factor. Who will be alive after 100 years from now let say in Germany, will find that 50% of its genetic composition will be from the Middle East because of Emigration.

Hej,
I think 40% is close to the reality, if you include all recent immigrants, including belgians, poles, portuguese, spaniards and italians, and all the newest african immigrants (from the colonies).

That leads me to wonder where are the merovingians and carolingians in those french genetic maps. Either I'm reading them wrong or there are no descendency from those groups having ruled france (or more or less the territory which is now france) for 500 years, please enlighten me.

If you compare the Netherlands and the areas around (from where the merovingians and carolingians must have come from) and france Y DNA haplogroups today, they have very few in common.
If one assumes Merovingians and Carolingians would have been I1, R1A and R1B S21, and you remove the belgians from the north and north east of France, and the poles (and the normal population near the borders, because the borders don't mean anything there), that means there is barely no R1A, I1 and R1B S21 before the few hundred last years immigration and beside the areas close to belgium and germany ?

A short notice about Maciamo map:
In Britanny should be a strong Breton influence. This is what the common sense is saying, because the Bretons are same people with Celtic Ancestors of English people and related to Welsh people.Some Bretons from England even migrated to Britanny. Because is not plausible to tell that all Bretons from England migrated to Britanny. So Bretons that remained in England mixed to AngloSaxons.
Here, some interesting research could be done, to see the resemblances between Bretons from France and English people.
There is also a Breton language.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breton_language
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bretons

Also, it seems Britanny was under Viking rule.
French people are most diverse from Europe (I am referring to Europe French ancestry people).
From more darker skinned Med people till Nordic people.
Regarding the physical look of old Celtic languages speakers, please remember that Celts/Gauls were a group of ethnicities, with different languages and very likely with quite different physical look.
A large group of people as Slavs are.
About what Roman historians are telling, those are generalizations.

This thread has been viewed 334175 times.

Back