Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Genetic history of Sicily : Greeks, Arabs, Normans and others

Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
    ACtually, it's not true that J1 or J2 was carried by Arabs or Phoenicians.
    Arabs did not have any signifant impact in Sicily, since they were a ultra-minority.
    The Y-dna J in Sicily comes mostly from Greeks and from Neolithic migrations, as in the rest of Europe

"Another Y-chromosome marker that may have been spread to Europe by Phoenicians and Arabs is the subclade of haplogroup J labeled J*(xJ2) or Eu10. It originated in the southern part of the Fertile Crescent and is very common in Arabia and Palestine (Neolithic J2 or Eu9 is from the northern Fertile Crescent). Its frequencies are 0.9% in Northern Italy, 7.1% in Central Italy and 5.3% in Southern Italy (for a total of between 0.5% and 3.6% admixture). It's important to note that while Phoenician and Arab colonists undoubtedly carried Eu10, its expansion is dated to ~9000-6400 YBP and generally attributed to Neolithic migrations (Nebel et al. 2001). Therefore, levels of recent admixture may be even lower."
    I am pleasantly surprised at the level of education at this forum. The Italians have no problem accepting the origin of certain haplogroups from beyond Europe. Nothing to do with my countrymen (I'm Spaniard). In fact the only one who does not accept the scientific reality is this spanish man. I am not surprised!

Banned Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class

Level
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 0%

Ethnic group
    PROUDLY AMERINDIAN!

Very well said Ferreira... most spaniards have problems dealing with their african roots. I'm glad that we finally find a spaniard who is not delusional.

Mr. Achievements:
    100 Experience Points

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1-EE (M253+)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    HV1

Ethnic group
    White

My father was born in Trapani/Marsala, Sicily. We are as Y-paternal on Haplogroup I1-M253+ (I1EE)
    Can someone shed some more lights on this haplogroup? Am I of Norman origins or Longbards?

OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 164

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-m223
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H64

Ethnic group
    Irish, English, French, German, Swedish, and Finnish

Quote Originally Posted by Nino1949 View Post
    My father was born in Trapani/Marsala, Sicily. We are as Y-paternal on Haplogroup I1-M253+ (I1EE)
    Can someone shed some more lights on this haplogroup? Am I of Norman origins or Longbards?
    Both were Germanic people so it is hard to differentiate between the two. I don't know if Lombards have been definitively associated with I1, but certainly some Normans were I1.

Great Adventurer Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Level
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 437

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2c1 PF3892+ (Swiss)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4a (Cornish)

Ethnic group
    3/4 Colonial American, 1/8 Cornish, 1/8 Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by Nino1949 View Post
    I1-EE has a youthful TMRCA (only about 1,500 years) but connects to the I1-Z58 tree as a whole over 3000 years ago (see Nordtvedt). That is to say, it's a little bit of an outlier, so it's a bit difficult to trace its exact migration route during the Migration Period. Its modern center of frequency looks to be in Germany, maybe somewhere around Munich considering its extent into Italy, Switzerland, and the Czech Republic. I think that distribution looks like a good match with the Lombards, but the sample size is a bit low for me to be really confident.

Banned Achievements:
    100 Experience Points3 months registered

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the difference between Sicilians and mainland Italians is that Sicilians have sub-Saharan African Ancestry of at least 1% whereas the mainland has little to none. Not even the Calabrese have it.

Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 78

Ethnic group
    Asian/European

DNA Cousins

I recently tested on 23andme and I found a 4th cousin with the Ventimiglia last name from Italy. I don't know if 4th cousins are considered closely related but am searching for info from family I'm not in contact with.

Quote Originally Posted by JackMack View Post
    Sicily is such a beautiful island! I recently visited there and I found the people, the food (loved the Sicilian wines) and the scenery to be wonderful- all of which has been influenced by their "DNA history." Some of my family is from there (from the NW of the island Mother's side-Palermo/ Monreale and Father's side-Castelbuono/ Ventimiglia line originally from Liguria and a branch in Sicily) and most Sicilians we met seemed to think Norman influence in us but my Y-DNA is J2a4b and my MtDNA is H. I happen to be fair-haired with green eyes, like my mother but I can tan well if I spend time in the sun -going for the California blond look! My father has brown hair/ eyes but his brother is blond/ blue- go figure....I think it shows that we really cannot get all of who we are from just our Y and MtDNA- after all, there are other people in our genetic line with different Y and MtDNA Haplotypes but gave us many other characteristics from their autosomal genes and X chromosome which we are currently not taking into consideration.

Junior Member Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18

So sad nobody talk about mtn dna of Sicilians.... am J1c1... and find little or nothing about.
    only traces in Northern Europe, Ireland, wales, Iceland...? How my maternal ancester get so south?
    or she was already there, since.... ever? I'm frustrated of the lack of studies about. Someone.....?

Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 288

Quote Originally Posted by wormhole View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the difference between Sicilians and mainland Italians is that Sicilians have sub-Saharan African Ancestry of at least 1% whereas the mainland has little to none. Not even the Calabrese have it.
    Likely you're wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12