Y-DNA haplogroups of ancient civilizations

How northern Ilyrians lost their land/y dna - all these cities were in northern balkans (Croatia to Montenegro) -

"Illyricum was heavily colonized by the Romans beginning in the third century BC. The Romans founded the cities of Acruvium, Cibalae, Mursa, Narona, Siscia, and established colonies at Salona, Sirmium, Epidaurum, Aequum, Iader, Rhizon, and in many other cities. These cities were colonized by Roman war veterans. The Illyro-Roman also absorbed other tribes such as the Early Slavs, particularly in the Roman provinces of Dalmatia and Pannonia during the 7th century."

Ilyrian Rhizon -
"The invasions of the Avars and Slavs left the city deserted. The last reference of a bishop in Risan dates back to 595."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhizon

This is why we have a lot more ilyrian y dna in southern regions of balkans instead of north, this is where they were settled in isolation to newcomers, some moved there from the north

Have we any updated, science based, Y-Haplogroup breakdowns of these ancient groups? Prior to the significant genetic mixing of all of the Balkan region and without ignorant "pure origin" nationalism displayed by so many folks/nations.

Have we any updated, science based, Y-Haplogroup breakdowns of these ancient groups? Prior to the significant genetic mixing of all of the Balkan region and without ignorant "pure origin" nationalism displayed by so many folks/nations.

I've researched recently and I've only found that Vinča culture had some R1b y chromosome markers, that Illyrian period findings in Dalmatia and somewhere in Serbia had G2 haplogroups samples. In Greece it seems G2 and J haplogroup have been found in Minoan and Mycenian period remains, and show them to be related to a high degree, and their genetic continuity with modern Greeks. I found nothing more, is it possible that no one cares about Greek and Roman cultures if no one cares about other peoples in south-east Europe ?

edit : Oh and there has been found n 2020 a grave yard in Serbia from a Roman period and they found remains of a black person. Also take a look if you care at the page of facebook. archeoserbia its rather nice

Hi, Newbie here. I see a lot of discussion about R1a and R1b as being in all these ancient cultures.

But I'm R (R-M207) which is an ancestor branch of both R1a and R1b.

Is that found in any of the ancient cultures?

I've researched recently and I've only found that Vinča culture had some R1b y chromosome markers, that Illyrian period findings in Dalmatia and somewhere in Serbia had G2 haplogroups samples. In Greece it seems G2 and J haplogroup have been found in Minoan and Mycenian period remains, and show them to be related to a high degree, and their genetic continuity with modern Greeks. I found nothing more, is it possible that no one cares about Greek and Roman cultures if no one cares about other peoples in south-east Europe ?
edit : Oh and there has been found n 2020 a grave yard in Serbia from a Roman period and they found remains of a black person. Also take a look if you care at the page of facebook. archeoserbia its rather nice
G2 in ancient illyria? Do you have a link?
As far as I know j2b l283 and r1b z2103 have been found in illyrian period/area

I have never gotten the importance people place on haplogroups. I do not know the subclades of the haplogroups of Maltese men but I know the base haplogroup of some surnames. Attard: E-V13, Schembri: J2, Agius: G2, Portelli: R1a, Zammit & Azzopardi & Cassar are subclades of R1b, Vella & Micallef are subclades of I2 and Borg (a common surname) is J1, I don't know the subclade. Of course not every Maltese male of those surnames has those haplogroups (NPE, adoptions, foundlings) but most do, which is surprising.

G2 in ancient illyria? Do you have a link?
As far as I know j2b l283 and r1b z2103 have been found in illyrian period/area

Middle Bronze Age is not Illyrian period at all. Illyrians started to form in Late Bronze Age, and by Early Iron Age they were already formed as an ethnic group.

So, we have no Y-DNA yet from classical period of Illyrians. We have some leaks from Thracians, and some from Anatolian Greeks (Empuries).

Middle Bronze Age is not Illyrian period at all. Illyrians started to form in Late Bronze Age, and by Early Iron Age they were already formed as an ethnic group.
So, we have no Y-DNA yet from classical period of Illyrians. We have some leaks from Thracians, and some from Anatolian Greeks (Empuries).

Its always good to give a few hundred years leeway for this kind of thing because

1. Old written history is not always accurate
2. It has been carried to the modern age innacurately
3. Ancient dna isnt always perfectly predicted

What are the thracian and greek leaks if you dont mind sharing?

I have never gotten the importance people place on haplogroups. I do not know the subclades of the haplogroups of Maltese men but I know the base haplogroup of some surnames. Attard: E-V13, Schembri: J2, Agius: G2, Portelli: R1a, Zammit & Azzopardi & Cassar are subclades of R1b, Vella & Micallef are subclades of I2 and Borg (a common surname) is J1, I don't know the subclade. Of course not every Maltese male of those surnames has those haplogroups (NPE, adoptions, foundlings) but most do, which is surprising.

Interesting :unsure:
As you are maltese you probably memberin
The maltese dna project ( which is close to non-maltese)
Can you have a look about the e1b1b branches there are all of them e-v13 or there some
e-m81?
Regards
Adam

P.s
I am asking because i know about a confirmed member of e-m81 in e3b project with maltese heritage ...
I Don't post his surname here ( from privacy matter)

Interesting. Thanks for the work

The ancient Macedonians were I2a2.The I haplogroup people are tall.Macedonia in ancient Greek means country with tall men

( I have not done research is a rough view)

The ancient Macedonians were I2a2.The I haplogroup people are tall.Macedonia in ancient Greek means country with tall men
( I have not done research is a rough view)

Yeah and they were led by their tall 5 foot tall leader Alexander :LOL:

Doesn't the "Make" in Makedonian refer to the highlands (mountains), not the people?

This thread has been viewed 700729 times.

Back