Haplogroups of European kings and queens

I found the article about the origin of Prince Williams of England

According to the Stuart/Stewart Project at FTDNA, King Charles II of Great Britain would have been R1b-L21. This is concordant with the history of the House of Stuart, who traces its roots to Brittany (a region with a high frequency of R-L21) before settling in Scotland during the Norman period.
Here is the internet article:

There is a good (as explained here) that the Habsburgs belong to haplogroup R1b-U152 (L2+ branch).

Very curious the Z1a MtDNA. ¿How common it really is between Swedish people and other Scandinavians?

Z is a mongoloid haplogroup. I wonder if Adelaide of Mochental was of Saami descent.

I also wonder if Anne of Cleves, fourth wife of Henry VIII of England, was of mongoloid descent too, because she and her sister, Sybylle, had mongoloid looking features. Their earliest recorded maternal ancestor came either from Bulgaria or Russia.

Last edited:
All kings of France supposedly belonged to haplogroup G2a3 (Y-DNA).

Also the Bourbon kings of Spain had and have G2a3 (Y-DNA). Philip V of Spain was the grandson of Louis XIV of France.

Philip V of Spain (1683 – 1746)
Louis I of Spain (1707 – 1724)
Ferdinand VI of Spain (1713 – 1759)
Charles III of Spain (1716 – 1788)
Charles IV of Spain (1748 – 1819)
Ferdinand VII of Spain (1784 – 1833)
Francis, Duke of Cádiz (1822 – 1902)
Alfonso XII of Spain (1857 – 1885)
Alfonso XIII of Spain (1886 – 1941)
Juan Carlos I of Spain (1938)
Ferdinand I of the Two Sicilies (1751 – 1825)
Francis I of the Two Sicilies (1777 – 1830)
Ferdinand II of the Two Sicilies (1810 – 1859)
Ferdinand II of the Two Sicilies (1836 – 1894)
Louis, King of Etruria (1773 – 1803)

Maciamo, please feel free to add at least some of the royalty that I was hoping you'd one day add to your wonderful list and it makes it easier for everyone to observe.
Kings & Queens of England or Great Britain

Anne of Denmark (1574-1619) => T2 (mtDNA)
Mary of Teck (1867-1953) => H (mtDNA)
Edward VIII (1894-1972) => H (mtDNA)
George VI (1895-1952) => H (mtDNA)

Kings & Queens of Denmark

Sophie of Pomerania (1498–1568) => T2 (mtDNA)
Sophie of Mecklenburg-Güstrow (1557-1631) => T2 (mtDNA)
Caroline Matilda of Great Britain (1751-1775) => T2 (mtDNA)
Frederick VI (1768–1839) => T2 (mtDNA)
Christian VIII (1786–1848) => T2 (mtDNA)
Louise of Hesse-Kassel (1817-1898) => T2 (mtDNA)
Louise of Sweden (1851–1926) => H (mtDNA)
Christian X (1870-1947) => H (mtDNA)

Kings & Queens of Norway

Maud of Wales (1869-1938) => T2 (mtDNA)
Haakon VII (1872-1957) => H (mtDNA)
Märtha of Sweden (1901-1954) => H (mtDNA)
Harald V (1937-) => H (mtDNA)

Kings & Queens of Sweden

Richeza of Denmark (1190–1220) => Z1a (mtDNA)
Christina of Holstein-Gottorp (1573-1625) => T2 (mtDNA)
Maria Eleonora of Brandenburg (1599-1655) => H (mtDNA)
Hedwig Eleonora of Holstein-Gottorp (1636-1715) => H (mtDNA)
Louise of the Netherlands (1828-1871) => H (mtDNA)
Sophia of Nassau (1836-1913) => H (mtDNA)
Gustav V (1858-1950) => H (mtDNA)

Kings & Queens of Prussia

Sophia Charlotte of Hanover (1668-1705) => T2 (mtDNA)

Kings & Queens of the Netherlands

Emma of Waldeck and Pyrmont (1858-1934) => H (mtDNA)
Wilhelmina (1880-1962) => H (mtDNA)
Juliana (1909-2004) => H (mtDNA)
Beatrix (193:cool: => H (mtDNA)

Kings & Queens of the Belgians

Astrid of Sweden (1905-1935) => H (mtDNA)

Kings & Queens of France

Anne of Austria (1601-1666) => H (mtDNA)

Kings & Queens of Sardinia

Anne-Marie of Orléans (1669-1728) => H (mtDNA)

Kings & Queens of Portugal

Maria II (1819-1853) => H9 (mtDNA)
Pedro V (1837-1861) => H9 (mtDNA)

Emperors & Empress of Brazil

Pedro II (1825-1891) => H9 (mtDNA)

Tsars & Empress of Russia

Catherine the Great (1729-1796) => H (mtDNA)
Paul I (1754-1801) => H (mtDNA)
Alexandra Feodorovna (Charlotte of Prussia) (1798-1860) => H (mtDNA)
Maria Feodorovna (Dagmar of Denmark) (1847-1928) => T2 (mtDNA)

Kings of Romania

Ferdinand I (1865-1927) => H9 (mtDNA)
Anne of Bourbon-Parma (1923-) => H9 (mtDNA)

Reply to Alex

Hello!

in one book I read:

"The basis, induced to show interest to a problem of an origin of
prince Philippe, information which it is necessary to call unexpected
was. It is a question of results of research DNA of the sister of
prince Philippe - princesses of Sofia Hanover. About results which
with all evidence testify that DNA of prince Philippe and the princess
of Sofia don't coincide. Don't coincide so that give the grounds for
the statement that they occurred from different parents.
Professor William Meyplz, the head of genetic laboratory in Berkeley
(California), professor Mary Clare King, geneticist Charles Ginter and
doctor Willie Korte were the scientists concerning these researches,
the known American judicial anthropologist from Florida".

do you know mitochondrial DNA of princesses of Sofia Hanover?

excuse if a question silly and for my English

Alex

Russia, Moscow

Hello Alex,

It is rumored in population DNA circles that the results from a tooth extracted from Princess Sofia were not an exact match with those of Prince Philip, and thus were not included in the original Gill et. al. report.

I understand that King and Ginther never published their findings, probably as a consequence of the unwritten rule in science against publishing negative results.

In a similar vein, two additional Hanoverian princesses were tested by Rohl, Warren and Hunt, and included in their book, "Purple Secret: Genes, 'Madness,' and the Royal Houses of Europe," (1998, Bantam Press). They reported the following HVR1 results for Princess Charlotte and her daughter, Princess Feodora:

16111 16126 16169
Princess Charlotte *T T C
Princess Feodora C T C
HRH Duke of Edinburgh *T T C

*mutation from C

As this was conducted during the early days of DNA testing, the authors went to great pains to suggest that the difference between the daughter Feodora and her supposed mother, Charlotte, may have been the result of contamination, with presenting scientific evidence in support. Since the book was published, more is known about mutations and repair mechanisms, and it could have very well been the case that the 16111C for Feodora may have simply have been a back mutation. I would have been more concerned had 16111 had been a "G" or an "A."

I know it doesn't directly answer your question though, and I apologize for that.

Note: the sentence "As this was conducted during the early days of DNA testing, the authors went to great pains to suggest that the difference between the daughter Feodora and her supposed mother, Charlotte, may have been the result of contamination, with presenting scientific evidence in support." should read "As this was conducted during the early days of DNA testing, the authors went to great pains to suggest that the difference between the daughter Feodora and her supposed mother, Charlotte, may have been the result of contamination, WITHOUT presenting scientific evidence in support." I apologize for the confusion.

True

I agree with your findings. I guess the adage that if the horse is in your barn, then its yours. Besides, I have seen some of the pics of Catherines' husband. I would have to have all of the lights out and have had a lot of Russian Vodka to deal with him. :LOL:

Since Georgia currently at least politically is part of Europe here is the result of the Bagrationi royal house - Q1a3* (relict branch. no matches found whatsoever so far).

In the XIII century Queen Tamar Bagrationi of Georgia married an Alan (Ossetian) prince David Soslan, so genetically current Bagrationis are descendants of Soslan. Although according to several sources David Soslan himself was of Bagrationi descent being great-great grandson of a Georgian king through Alanian consort.
Hopefully sooner or later we will have results of paleoDNA analysis of pre-Soslan Bagrationis and will be able to compare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagrationi

Any studies on descendants of Charlomayne?

I see the royal descendants don't go back to Charlomayne, his descendants are scattered in most of the royal houses of europe. j

Just curious.

Stewart Blood line

You are correct about the Stewart's history in Brittany. They were from the house of Dol. In my studies of my ancestors I have come across their information.

Good morning.

New in this forum and in genetic genealogy, I hope to stay a long time with you.

Heartily.

mjaMah?

Welcome to Eupedia mjaMah (the last character of your name shows as ? for me)

How do you find this stuff? It's very interesting.

#84: The Bourbon kings are now supposedly all belonging to haplogroup R1b-Z381 (Y-DNA). See the update in #1.

I wonder if any Slav king/Tsar was found with R1A y-dna? Russian known ones were found to be N1C1 (different Rurikids) and R1B (Romanovs after Paul).
Polish dynasties after Jagiellons also N1C1 (maybe Piasts were R1A?) that got replaced with R1B later.

Hopes on Trouble Times Tsars of Russia, Piasts of Poland, some of elected monarchs of Poland, early Romanovs (unless their family traces back to Rurikids or Gediminids) and maybe South Slavs, since they had number of local Princes/Kings.

I wonder if any Slav king/Tsar was found with R1A y-dna? Russian known ones were found to be N1C1 (different Rurikids) and R1B (Romanovs after Paul).
Polish dynasties after Jagiellons also N1C1 (maybe Piasts were R1A?) that got replaced with R1B later.

Hopes on Trouble Times Tsars of Russia, Piasts of Poland, some of elected monarchs of Poland, early Romanovs (unless their family traces back to Rurikids or Gediminids) and maybe South Slavs, since they had number of local Princes/Kings.
Apart from original dynasties, royal families mixed mainly with other royals. At the end of a day we shouldn't have too many haplogroups to deal with. How did they find out about Jagiellons? Test of bones or just known present relatives?

Apart from original dynasties, royal families mixed mainly with other royals. At the end of a day we shouldn't have too many haplogroups to deal with. How did they find out about Jagiellons? Test of bones or just known present relatives?
Jagiellons are Gediminids. Same Rurikid project found that Gediminas was N just like Rurik but they were not relatives.

Mine are YDNA I1 and MtDNA (maternal) H1h

How about Hohenzollern Y-DNA haplogroup? I could not find anything anywhere about that male line.

This thread has been viewed 603661 times.

Back