Haplogroups of European kings and queens

Trying to extend the lines of known descendant of Charlemagne in my own genealogy, I realized one of them had a mt-descendant who tested and she has royalties on her mt-line (which is not mine, unfortunately).

Her name is Catherine Couvent, she married Philippe Amiot in Épieds around 1625.

At FTDNA's French Heritage DNA Project, her mt-descendant was given plain H* for haplogroup and their HVR1+2 mutations are:
HVR1: A16129G, T16187C, C16189T, T16223C, G16230A, T16278C, C16311T
HVR2: G73A, C146T, C152T, C195T, A247G, 522.1A, 522.2C, 315.1C

It seems she tested at Genographic as her kit number start with N. I don't know how solid their papertrail is and it's sad there is no match to confirm Catherine Couvent's DNA signature yet. But feel free to ask Jacques Beaugrand, the project admin, if your are interested to know more. He's quite helpful usually.

So, back Catherine Couvent royal ancestors.

Catherine Couvent
Antoinette de Longueval + Guillaume Couvent
Louise de Joyeuse + Charles de Longueval
Nicole des Ancherins + Jean de Joyeuse
Marguerite de Monthois + Jean des Ancherins
Nicole Issenard + Jean de Monthois
Béatrix de Grandpré + Geoffroy Issenard

This is as far as the as the francogene genealogy goes, but other sites gives Béatrix genealogy as:

Claude de Roucy + Gobert de Grandpré
Blanche de Coucy + Hugues II de Pierrepont
Jeanne d'Harcourt + Raoul de Coucy
Blanche de Ponthieu + Jean d'Harcourt
Catherine d'Artois + Jean II de Ponthieu
Blanche de Bretagne + Philippe d'Artois
Beatrice of England + Jean II de Bretagne
Eleonore of Provence + Henry III King of England
Béatrice de Savoie + Raimont-Béranger IV de Provence
Marguerite de Genève + Thomas Ier de Savoie
Beatrice or Marguerite de Faucigny + Guillaume Ier de Genève

So, at the very least, Eleonore of Provence's son, Edward I of England, would be H*.

A quick look around the wiki pages, it's seems the following monarchs would be H* too:

Margaret I, Queen of Scotland
Philippe III, King of France
Jeanne II, Queen of Navarre
Jean II, King of France
Eric XII, King of Sweden
Håkon VI, King of Sweden

Although still quite speculative, it could be of interest to this thread.

Last edited:
Prof. Tomasz Kozłowski tested the Y-DNA of Prince Janusz III of Masovia, a direct descendent of the Piast Dynasty, Poland's first historical ruling dynasty, starting with Prince Mieszko I (c. 930–992) and ending in 1370 with the death of king Casimir III the Great. He announced that the prince belonged to haplogroup R1b, and therefore probably also other members of that royal lineage, as long as no non-paternity event took place.

There are plans to test more members of the dynasty so hopefully we will learn if there was a non-paternity event in the lineage leading to Janusz III of Mazovia, and hopefully they will determine the exact subclade of R1b.

This has not been possible so far:

lgmayka said:
Kozłowski's claim that his team could not discern any subhaplogroup more specific than R1b is disturbing. He blames the condition of the remains, but one must wonder whether a team with better equipment and methods could have gotten more complete results.

In any case I hope that they were L617 or at least some other DF27. :)

They will extract DNA from bones of Piast kings Ladislaus I and Casimir III:

http://naukawpolsce.pap.pl/aktualno...rtret-dawnych-mieszkancow-terenow-polski.html

"Everything indicates, that these are the best preserved graves of the Piast dynasty".

Spore nadzieje naukowcy pokładają w badaniach grobów Władysława Łokietka i Kazimierza Wielkiego na Wawelu. "Wszystko wskazuje na to, że są to najlepiej zachowane groby członków dynastii Piastów. To ważne, by z takich właśnie grobów pobrać DNA, który po zbadaniu może posłużyć jako wzorzec do identyfikacji innych członków rodu" - opowiada naukowiec.

They are both buried in St. Leonard's Crypt beneath the Wawel Cathedral:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wawel_Cathedral#St._Leonard.27s_Crypt_beneath_the_Cathedral

As for Y-DNA of Janusz III of the Mazovian branch of Piasts, Davidski wrote:

This result might well be correct, but my point was that it was done with PCR on a very degraded sample, and another test is being done now using SNP capture and enrichment to double check the result, and I guess to try and work out the subclade.

Anyway, expect a lot of confusing results and surprises from Bronze Age, Iron Age and Medieval Poland when the relevant papers finally come out. I've seen a few of them, and it's hard to work out what was going on there.

I was looking at some maternal lines of European royals. Now I think the following is an interesting line:

Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia, Willem II of the Netherlands, Alexander III of Russia, Frederik IX of Denmark, Franz Joseph I of Austria-Hungaria, Christian IX of Denmark, Constantine I of Greece, Alfonso XIII of Spain, George IV of the United Kingdom and William IV of the United Kingdom all descend in female line from three daughters of Marie von Barby-Mühlingen and George III von Erbach. She descends in female line from Maria Laskarina, the Byzantine wife of Béla IV of Hungary. Her mother was Anna Komnene Angelina, daughter of Byzantine Emperor Alexios III. Her maternal grandmother was a women of the Kantakouzenos family.

I wonder what haplogroup they could be.

According to the Y-DNA testing of two illegitimate descendants of Prince Albert of Prussia (1809–1872), Geoffrey Rockel and Franz Rockel, the House of Hohenzollern would belong to haplogroup I2-Y7219 (downstream of L701 and P78).

There's someone on another forum saying that their ancestor is the illegitimate child of some nobility. Their claim to fame is the fact said nobility was a bit odd & supposedly had numerous out-of-marriage children. Can they verify their claims, like how one can grab an eel in oily water.

My point, you can claim anything on the internet. I would put far more faith into one of his legitimate children. Cause who is to verify they are actually his children unless other members of the family DNA test and they are, given the recent years, relatively closely related and not 10th cousins twice removed.

There's someone on another forum saying that their ancestor is the illegitimate child of some nobility. Their claim to fame is the fact said nobility was a bit odd & supposedly had numerous out-of-marriage children. Can they verify their claims, like how one can grab an eel in oily water.

My point, you can claim anything on the internet. I would put far more faith into one of his legitimate children. Cause who is to verify they are actually his children unless other members of the family DNA test and they are, given the recent years, relatively closely related and not 10th cousins twice removed.

If google is to be believed there have been several hyphenated Hohenzollern-Rockels living in Germany until recently.

Basarab Romania

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0041803

There are no modern kings for Greece. The last king was Perseus the Macedonian.

My mtdna was u5, how come so many west Europeans - like Germans and Austrians have it? I'd read that u5 was most common amongst the Sami people of Finland.

My mtdna was u5, how come so many west Europeans - like Germans and Austrians have it? I'd read that u5 was most common amongst the Sami people of Finland.

Ok looking further I realized I am U5a1 which is different, Sorry I didn't see an edit button.

Highest U5%
Bashkir: 15%
Udmurt: 14%.
Mari: 13%
Norway: 13%
Sweden: 13%
Tatar: 12%
Estonia: 12%.
Belarus: 12%
Bosnia: 12%
Latvia: 11%
Lithuania: 11%

Lowest U5 %
Italy: 4-6%
Greece: 3%
Romania, Bulgaria: 4%.

The rest of Europe has 8-10%.

I've got about 200 samples from Germany and Austria, each gets 10% U5. U5 is so frequent in Saami because of a founder effect. Almost all of their U5 is U5b1b1a.

U5 has no special connection to a particular ethnic or regional group like for example Saami. U5 can only be given the label of a "WHG" or Paleolithic European lineage. DNA from old bones shows it was in Europe 30ky. It's modern subclades for the most part began to spread across the continent 10ky-20ky. A large majority of mtDNA samples from Mesolithic human remains in Europe belong to U5.

But, U5 also took part in expansions long after the Mesolithic. For example; U5a1a1, U5a1b1, U5b2a2, U5b2a1a1, U5b2b1a, U5b1b1a, and more all were born and made big expansions less than 10ky.

Many forms of U5 can be associated with a particular region but U5 itself can not.

This thread has been viewed 604786 times.

Back