Oldest European cities

Vinkovci is nowhere written to be oldest town in Europe, but it is written in wikipedia "The area around Vinkovci (German: Winkowitz, Hungarian: Vinkovce, Latin: Colonia Aurelia Cibalae) has been continually inhabited since the Neolithic period, well before the Roman period."

I also agree that the most "cities" in the list are actually settlements. But I haven't seen nowhere Prowadia (actually ancient town was called Solnitsata (Bulgarian: Солницата, "The Saltworks") by the historians, the real name in that time is unknown) which is shown in wikipedia as a real oldest town in Europe, established some where in 4700 BC. The settlement was walled to protect the salt, a crucial commodity in antiquity.[3] Although its population has been estimated at only 350,[3] archaeologist Vassil Nikolov argues that it meets established criteria as a prehistoric city.[4] Salt production drove Solnitsata's economy, and the town is believed to have supplied salt throughout the Balkans. A large collection of gold objects nearby has led archaeologists to speculate that this trade resulted in considerable wealth for the town's residents.[1]

Regards

http://www.hkv.hr/izdvojeno/vai-pri...onalno-vinkovci-najstariji-europski-grad.html

At the center of this oldest European city (Vinkovci), the location of which archaeologists call "tell Market", Durman in 1977, on the site of hotel, found "there archaeological finds of starčevo culture, and they are dated in 6300. B.C.

1. 3,800 BCE : Dobrovody (Ukraine) => I2a2, E1b1b , G2a and J2
  2. 3,700 BCE : Talianki (Ukraine) => I2a2, E1b1b , G2a and J2
  3. 3,700 BCE : Maydanets (Ukraine) => I2a2, E1b1b , G2a and J2
  4. 3,250 BCE : Kasenovka (Ukraine) => I2a2, E1b1b , G2a and J2

Isn't I2a1 more probable for the Cucuteni-Trypillan culture than I2a2 ???

========================

I have one more candidate to the list:

1700 BCE : Arkaim => R1a1a, C (not C3):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkaim

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_of_Towns

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sintashta_culture

http://www.ancestraljourneys.org/ancientdna.shtml

========================

BTW only sites older than 1000 BCE count?

Last edited:
Does anyone knows about settlement in Sardinia older than Cagliari (800 bc)?
There are hundreds of "nuraghi" which date 1000bc-4000bc, but there seems to be no apparent pattern to what happened in between.

Arkaim (mentioned above) was 2 ha large and had an estimated population of 1500-2500 people.

=========================

I have some more to the list, from Poland:

Bruszczewo (Unetice culture) - established ca. 2300/2200 BC (and inhabited for ca. 500+ years)

Inhabitants of Bruszczewo buried their dead in Łęki Małe kurgans (RISE431 from Allentoft 2015)

Trzcinica ("Carpathian Troy") - 2 ha large (the same size as Arkaim), inhabited ca. 2100-1350 BC.

Maszkowice - fortified town with a stone wall (built ca. 1750-1690 BC), but only 200+ inhabitants

Biskupin, 2 ha, ca. 100 large houses, ca. 1200 inhabitants: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biskupin

Hi everybody

What do you think about Schela Cladovei. Unfortunately I am new here and I'm not allowed yet to post links but you can find something at donmaps and then search for schela

1. 3,800 BCE : Dobrovody (Ukraine) => I2a2, E1b1b , G2a and J2
  2. 3,700 BCE : Talianki (Ukraine) => I2a2, E1b1b , G2a and J2
  3. 3,700 BCE : Maydanets (Ukraine) => I2a2, E1b1b , G2a and J2
  4. 3,250 BCE : Kasenovka (Ukraine) => I2a2, E1b1b , G2a and J2
  5. 3,800 BCE : Dobrovody (Ukraine) => I2a2, E1b1b , G2a and J2
  6. 3,700 BCE : Talianki (Ukraine) => I2a2, E1b1b , G2a and J2
  7. 3,700 BCE : Maydanets (Ukraine) => I2a2, E1b1b , G2a and J2
  8. 3,250 BCE : Kasenovka (Ukraine) => I2a2, E1b1b , G2a and J2

1. This is quite interesting.

The significant presence of I2a2 in Ukraine is indeed interesting.

Has there been any revision of that list from the OP?

Hi all, I am new here. How are you all? I just want to ask why two oldest Croatians cities (older than Zadar) like Vinkovci and Vučedol (now Vukovar) and didn't added on list "Oldest European towns and cities by founding year"? Best regards, Croatianomous.

Don't know what you term "town/city"? Vinkovci have been continually inhabited for 8200 years, they were definitely a muncipium under Hadrian.
But I see you added some "cities" that weren't anywhere near "towns" soon after their founding, and just proof of habitation like forts seems to be sufficient.

In Vinkovci habitation starts at 6300 BC.
In 1977. Durman found on „tell Tržnica" location remains of Starčevo culture dated to 6300 BC. This should be date when everything started since the habitation has never been stopped since then. Starčevo culture ends at 4500 BC when there's already Sopot culture (5050-3950 BC) in the city, found at the Ervenica site for example, tell Tržnica again Bubanj-salkuca-lasinj culture (3500 BC), Vučedol culture (3000 BC), (not important but very cool: the oldest Indoeuropean calendar Orion! (2600 BC)), Vinkovci culture (2300 BC), then bronze age& iron age findings, Illyrians&Celts, Roman Cibalae, 7th century Slavs and here we are at 8300 years of continous habitation.

Reconstruction of Bronze Age Maszkowice (inhabited between ca. 1750 BC - 1550 BC):

Town was located on a hill (Zyndram's Hill) and surrounded by a wall made of stone:

TsiiyGd.png

Sobiejuchy, Poland (Lusatian culture) - area around 5 ha - inhabited between ca. 1000 BC - 700 BC.

Could have perhaps around 3000 inhabitants.

[h=1]‘Neanderthal bone flutes’: simply products of Ice Age spotted hyena scavenging activities on cave bear cubs in European cave bear dens[/h]https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4448875/

Punctured extinct cave bear femora were misidentified in southeastern Europe (Hungary/Slovenia) as ‘Palaeolithic bone flutes’ and the ‘oldest Neanderthal instruments’. These are not instruments, nor human made, but products of the most important cave bear scavengers of Europe, hyenas. Late Middle to Late Pleistocene (Mousterian to Gravettian) Ice Age spotted hyenas of Europe occupied mainly cave entrances as dens (communal/cub raising den types), but went deeper for scavenging into cave bear dens, or used in a few cases branches/diagonal shafts (i.e. prey storage den type). In most of those dens, about 20% of adult to 80% of bear cub remains have large carnivore damage. Hyenas left bones in repeating similar tooth mark and crush damage stages, demonstrating a butchering/bone cracking strategy. The femora of subadult cave bears are intermediate in damage patterns, compared to the adult ones, which were fully crushed to pieces. Hyenas produced round–oval puncture marks in cub femora only by the bone-crushing premolar teeth of both upper and lower jaw. The punctures/tooth impact marks are often present on both sides of the shaft of cave bear cub femora and are simply a result of non-breakage of the slightly calcified shaft compacta. All stages of femur puncturing to crushing are demonstrated herein, especially on a large cave bear population from a German cave bear den.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

What about country of Georgia?
This is a one of oldest European nation

This thread has been viewed 176518 times.

Back