Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maciamo's book selection

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

I checked the documentaries hosted by Alberto Angela on YouTube, but unfortunately the video quality is not very good. I'd rather recommend to create a free account on the Rai website and watch the videos in HD there. I like his documentary series Ulisse: il piacere della scoperta, which has been running for four seasons now. There are episodes about ancient Rome (hidden secrets under Rome, Augustus, Trajan, the Colosseum, the sexual life of ancient Romans...), but also about other historical periods (in all the world, not only Italy), about natural regions and even about DNA and about Neanderthal.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    I checked the documentaries hosted by Alberto Angela on YouTube, but unfortunately the video quality is not very good. I'd rather recommend to create a free account on the Rai website and watch the videos in HD there. I like his documentary series Ulisse: il piacere della scoperta, which has been running for four seasons now. There are episodes about ancient Rome (hidden secrets under Rome, Augustus, Trajan, the Colosseum, the sexual life of ancient Romans...), but also about other historical periods (in all the world, not only Italy), about natural regions and even about DNA and about Neanderthal.
    Thanks, Maciamo.

I'll do that.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Two other great books about ancient Rome, this time about the lives of Roman emperors. The first covers all the emperors as well as the evolution of Roman society and religious beliefs. The second concentrates on 10 emperors, but mentions also other major emperors, and only skips the period from 251 to 284 and after Constantine.

David Potter's book is more complete and succinct, although Barry Strauss's book may be slightly more enjoyable to read. Both are American university professors of ancient history (Potter at the University of Michigan and Strauss at Cornell).

The Emperors of Rome: The Story of Imperial Rome from Julius Caesar to the Last Emperor, by David Potter

Ten Caesars: Roman Emperors from Augustus to Constantine, by Barry Strauss

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Another great read: The Roman Emperor Aurelian: Restorer of the World, by John F. White. The book isn't just about Aurelian, but also about Valerian, Gallienus, Claudius II, Tacitus, Probus, Carus, the Gallic emperors (Postumus, Tetricus) as well as Zenobia and Vaballathus of Palmyra. A very interesting period (253-284) that almost saw the collapse of the Roman empire. This period was not mentioned by Barry Strauss in Ten Caesars, so the two books complete each other.

Last edited by Maciamo; 19-05-19 at 12:24.

Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Ethnic group
    Albanian

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    Yes, he is following the steps of his father, Piero Angela. An incredible personality of Italian television.
    17 Dec.
    Paget to the Council.

Now the Council's letters seem to imply (words quoted) that the King will keep no strangers save the Albanoys.

Cales, 17 Dec. 1545. Signed.

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

A few other books about ancient Rome that I have started reading.

Cataclysm 90 BC: The forgotten war that almost destroyed Rome, by Philip Matyszak about the Social War in which Italian cities and tribes fought against the Roman Republic in order to lose their independence to become Roman (the only case in history of the opposite of an independence war!).

Legionary: The Roman Soldier's (Unofficial) Manual, also by Philip Matyszak.

Roman Britain: A New History, by Guy de la Bédoyère

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12