Are haplogroups I and J2 close genetically ?

I* and J* are close, but they almost don't exist anymore. A J2a4 or J1e individual is certainly not closely related to a I2a2 or I1.

J* is still alive & doing well

J* itself branches into to two groups, a younger branch very close to J1-M267 this J* its distinguished by a 19.2 - 18.2 DYS458 value....a trait common in J1-M267...absent in J2-M172 this J* (really the new J1) is common in Western Oman-Yemen border & more than likely is related to Socotran J* (younger J*)

J2-M172 DYS458 value is whole number without the 0.2, this is also true to a European J* sample more than likely closer to IJ or J2

Last edited:
A perfect 67-STR match between a J2a4b and a J2a4a is less close than two J2a4b are from each others (even if the two J2a4b have 10 non-matching STR markers). SNP's always trump STR's.

Exactly...I could care less about STR matches.

The whole 67 marker myth is a marketing strategy by commercial companies that want you to spend more $ on nothing, the best you can do is invest your $ on finding your own micro subclade, you can't go wrong with SNPs (y)

i was advised to order the marker test, now i am confused. Does it mean that you can order SNP test without ordering STR?

i was advised to order the marker test, now i am confused. Does it mean that you can order SNP test without ordering STR?

Yes. These are two completely separate tests. For instance 23andMe only tests SNP's. Genealogical DNA test companies like Family Tree DNA do both kinds of tests. STR's are more useful to compare individuals within genealogical times. SNP's determine subclades, which is more interesting for historians and anthropologists.

Yes Phillips, but most commercial sites will forces you to buy the useless STRs first to milk you out of your $

Its okay to start with a well priced marker test (59$-79$) to see where you stand first, I was referring to the unnecessary 67marker & 91 marker commercial tests

I could not believe it when I saw your Haplogroup J2a4b. That is the same as our male line, a rarity in Eastern North Carolina. Our surname is Gibbs, all the other Gibbs tested do not match us at all.
We did our DNA through FTDNA, with one family match, and none on Y-Search. Have you had any luck with matches?

Is it true that Cro-Magnons are probably the IJ Haplotype?
I is the oldest haplogroup in Europe and in all probability the only one that originated there (apart from deep subclades of other haplogroups). It is thought to have arrived from the Middle East as haplogroup IJ around 35,000 years ago, and developed into haplogroup I approximately 25,000 years ago. This means that Cro-Magnons most probably belonged (exclusively ?) to IJ or I. Also, I and J may be more closely related as I read that there are some J2 individuals with very low values at 385a (~13) and 385b (~15) that make it difficult to distinguish from the I haplotype. I'm under the impression that you feel as though I and J2 are not closely related at all. All the literature I read seems to indicate they are.

I would associate Cro-Magnon with I2a1, the rest being Gravettian remains.

I would associate Cro-Magnon with I2a1, the rest being Gravettian remains.

Ah, but that would be rather early, no? I mean, I mean, do we even have the chronology of the various clades of I splitting up right?

I think, looking at the most ancient/basal subclades of I and J might help solve this.

Also, one really has to wonder... what happened with IJ that it's not around anymore?

This thread has been viewed 29122 times.

Back