European Admixture: Y-DNA and MtDNA

Again, eliminate any questionable genetic information on this site. It is a matter of integrity.

Do you mean this site - or are you still talking about that Genome Project blog ? :wary2:

I try my best to keep everything objective on this site. :giggle:

The truth over time will prevail. Many people, especially in the U.S., are very badly educated and have no ability to judge anything critically. Heavens, there are characters in America who don't even know that London is the capital of the U.K. ... LOL! They make judgments about ethnicities based on ridiculous media stereotypes. Educated people must keep pressing the truth...

Yes, educated people must keep pressing the truth.

As you brought up the media, I've noticed that television shows like to do "man-on-the-street" interviews asking simple questions and editing out the ones who demonstrate command of the facts. That's why we see the people who think "Kofi Annan" is a Starbuck's drink.

One truth is that a common practice of pseudo-intellectuals, who rightfully lack confidence in their own intellectual abilities, like to step on other people to get a sense of being "higher," "smarter" or "better."

Let's press another truth: Portugal has among the lowest rates of adult functional literacy in the Western World (48% adult functional illiteracy versus 14% in the U.S.). Apparently, half of Portuguese adults have never read a book.

Perhaps one should read a little more and not watch quite so much television.
TR

As you brought up the media, I've noticed that television shows like to do "man-on-the-street" interviews asking simple questions and editing out the ones who demonstrate command of the facts. That's why we see the people who think "Kofi Annan" is a Starbuck's drink.
One truth is that a common practice of pseudo-intellectuals, who rightfully lack confidence in their own intellectual abilities, like to step on other people to get a sense of being "higher," "smarter" or "better."
Let's press another truth: Portugal has among the lowest rates of adult functional literacy in the Western World (48% adult functional illiteracy versus 14% in the U.S.). Apparently, half of Portuguese adults have never read a book.
TR

Let's clear something up, no one, as far as I can see, is stepping on people here. Certainly I'm not.

There are certain countries where the population lacks a grasp of common knowledge, be it the U.S. or any other nation. I only mentioned the U.S. as an example because I was raised and educated there, all the way through my PHd. What is alarming is that the U.S. population is supposed to be well-educated (it is not compared to a good number of Western European and some Asian countries) and you have people, some with college degrees, who oftentimes demonstrate a rather inadequate understanding of a variety of elemental subjects. Please don't take offense...

Last edited:

TR

Cambria Red has reason when he says Americans are very ignorant when it comes to RACE and ETHNICITIES
Most Americans I have known think that Hispanic or Latin are races.
They don't make the difference between ethnicities and races, they have just lots of ignorance and stereotypes
They think that spaniards, french or mediterraneans are not white, some even think that Spain and Portugal are in South America :useless:

The truth over time will prevail. Many people, especially in the U.S., are very badly educated and have no ability to judge anything critically. Heavens, there are characters in America who don't even know that London is the capital of the U.K. ... LOL! They make judgments about ethnicities based on ridiculous media stereotypes. Educated people must keep pressing the truth...

Aaah, it seems you are making the same type of judgment based on stereotypes. While I do not necessarily disagree that many Americans have less global awareness and some politicians—mainly on the right wing—appear like complete idiots pandering to the lowest common denominator, it’s not so cut and dried. One thing is true, the U.S. has many of the world’s best universities.

Having said that, I appreciate your fervor for exposing falsehoods and seeking the truth, which is vital for science to progress.

One thing is true, the U.S. has many of the world’s best universities.

This is quite true. But not all students attending them or professors teaching there are American ! The superiority of US universities mostly has to do with better funding (more private than public, unlike in Europe) and better management/marketing (again, because they are private businesses rather than governmental organisations).

Aaah, it seems you are making the same type of judgment based on stereotypes. While I do not necessarily disagree that many Americans have less global awareness and some politicians—mainly on the right wing—appear like complete idiots pandering to the lowest common denominator, it’s not so cut and dried. One thing is true, the U.S. has many of the world’s best universities.

Having said that, I appreciate your fervor for exposing falsehoods and seeking the truth, which is vital for science to progress.

Thank you, sir.

This is quite true. But not all students attending them or professors teaching there are American ! The superiority of US universities mostly has to do with better funding (more private than public, unlike in Europe) and better management/marketing (again, because they are private businesses rather than governmental organisations).

I agree, though some state schools such as California, Texas and those in the Midwest are also well regarded.

As for the foreign students that is true as well, though there seems to be a change in that many now have no desire to remain in the US but instead want to return to their countries, which is a detriment to the US economically. In the past, many intellectuals came to work not just study.

I agree, though some state schools such as California, Texas and those in the Midwest are also well regarded.

As for the foreign students that is true as well, though there seems to be a change in that many now have no desire to remain in the US but instead want to return to their countries, which is a detriment to the US economically. In the past, many intellectuals came to work not just study.

Berkeley and U. Michigan are two of the best in the world.

Maybe the US has the best universities, but , the overrall education level is much better in Europe.
And, well, half of the students and professors of the top US universities are foreigners.

This thread has been viewed 46955 times.

Back