What DNA tests have you done?

What DNA tests have you done?

• Y-DNA test

Votes: 63 69.2%
  • Mitochondrial DNA test

Votes: 54 59.3%
  • Genealogical autosomal test (X-STR, etc.)

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Autosomal/medical DNA test (23andMe, etc.)

Votes: 43 47.3%
  • None, but I am planning to

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • None

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters

Gary C.

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Norman,English,German,Welsh,deep Scandinavian and others
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-U106*
mtDNA haplogroup
H1*
And what's your Y and/or mt haplogroup?

My Y haplogroup is commonly referred to these days as R1b-U106*.
At present,I don't fit in any of the subclades,the major one being L-48+.
We have a new Walk The Y project at FTDNA,for searching for new Y SNP's in U106's that are negative for L-48.

My mitochondrial haplogroup is H1*.
H is the most common mito haplogroup amongst Europeans.

I've had 67 Y markers tested by FTDNA,and partial SNP testing.Already had tested + for S21 at EthnoAncestry,and that was confirmed by FTDNA.
Also had HVR1 and HVR2 done by FTDNA.
And also CCR5,where I discovered I do have a 32 base-pair deletion,and also 1 normal copy.
The most recent thing I did was 23andMe.

What about you?

Thanks for the idea, Gary. I have added a poll.

Thanks Maciamo!!

And what's your Y and/or mt haplogroup?

My Y haplogroup is commonly referred to these days as R1b-U106*.
At present,I don't fit in any of the subclades,the major one being L-48+.
We have a new Walk The Y project at FTDNA,for searching for new Y SNP's in U106's that are negative for L-48.

What about you?

Mine is also R1b U106 L48+. I'm fascinated by this stuff and Maciamo's Y origins etc page is by far the most readable and informative I've found after months of searching:
http://www.eupedia.com/europe/origins_haplogroups_europe.shtml

Chris

The only thing I'd caution anyone about is this:your Y chromosome has no idea what ethnicity you are.
It has no bearing on anything except for making you a male,and all that goes along with that.
The haplogroups are determined by what should be thought of as 'inheritable packages of SNP's'.There are only around 50 of them,and all human males are going to be a member of one.
The genetic factors that make up traits and characteristics that we perceive as race and ethnicity are not located on the sex-determining chromosomes.They are located on the other 44 chromosomes.
You can be a member of any particular race or ethnicity,and discover that you have a Y or mt haplogroup that you wouldn't expect to have.This can and does happen.Y DNA haplogroup A is found among Bushmen in Africa,and also among some white men named Bass that live in North Carolina.That's not what you'd expect to find among white men,anywhere-but it has happened.
I also have personal knowledge of some black Americans that are in Haplogroup I.That's not what you expect from a black man,anywhere.
In both cases,what must be true is they descend in a direct male line from a man that wasn't a member of their race or ethnicity.They have inherited his Y DNA SNP package-but probably,nothing else remains in their bodies from the man that was their ancestor,except his Y chromosome.They look just like any other typical member of whatever their race or ethnicity is,because the autosomal DNA that is present in the rest of their bodies is the same that is shared by all the members of that race or ethnicity.

Having said all that-because of DNA testing having been carried out in a great many places,we know to EXPECT to see particular Y and mt haplogroups in particular places.And the ones we expect to see,will greatly dominate in the area they are mainly located in.
But you COULD find any haplogroup,anywhere.Their origins pre-date any sort of paperwork method of tracking the people that could have carried them into unexpected places.

The only thing I'd caution anyone about is this:your Y chromosome has no idea what ethnicity you are.
It has no bearing on anything except for making you a male,and all that goes along with that.

That's something I've found from my web 'research'. One source gave a theoretical example of a white male who moves to China, and whose offspring's children are of Chinese women: within 10 generations, the descendents are for all intents and purposes, Chinese.

Chris

The haplogroups are determined by what should be thought of as 'inheritable packages of SNP's'.There are only around 50 of them,and all human males are going to be a member of one.
The genetic factors that make up traits and characteristics that we perceive as race and ethnicity are not located on the sex-determining chromosomes.They are located on the other 44 chromosomes.

Y-DNA of course does not define ethnicity. But if all your ancestors come from a same region (e.g. East Anglia, or Wales), knowing the Y-DNA frequency in that region might give you important clues about your own genetic history.

Ancient ethnicities have little to do with modern populations. People in Europe are a heavy admixture of many different ancient peoples represented by the various haplogroups.

As DNA is recombined at every generation, and differently for each child born to the same parents, even siblings do not inherit all the genes from the same ancestors. That's why in some families some children might have brown hair and eyes and others blond hair and blue eyes. This is just for obvious characteristics. 99% of our genome is not clearly visible from outside. You can't know if you are lactose tolerant by looking at a mirror.

Once populations get mixed over many centuries or millennia, all sorts of combinations take place. It is meaningless to talk of an English or French or Spanish ethnicity. What is ethnicity anyway ? Is it defined by looks alone, or by one's immune system, metabolism, or blood sugar level ?

The study of Y-DNA is highly important for our understanding or history and migrations, or even linguistics. Y-DNA does not equal ethnicity, that's for sure, but contrarily to what many people think, the Y-chromosome does influence a little bit a man's character, through testosterone production. It has been reported that members of haplogroup R tend to be more aggressive than other haplogroups. We will see in a few years in such trends can be confirmed or not.

my DNA test...

23andme and I've uploaded my raw data to Promethease. I'm J1a*, which I have not seen mentioned here. I know there are some descrepancies between 23andme and their Mtdna results (some at 23andme have gotten conflicting results from multiple sources). I'm new here, and just looking to gleen what I can from my DNA, as my family history is incomplete.

Y-DNA and mtDNA of course...

I'm planning to purchase a genealogical autosomal test for my mother.

Y-DNA and mtDNA of course...

I'm planning to purchase a genealogical autosomal test for my mother.

I also want to try this one. As I have learned that Autosomal DNA is inherited from both parents, and includes random contributions from their parents, grandparents, and so on. Therefore, your autosomes essentially contain a complete genetic record, with all branches of your ancestry contributing a piece of your autosomal DNA. Autosomal DNA tests can be used to search for relative connections along any branch of your family tree. Unless the connection is so far back that the shared DNA has essentially been eliminated through too many generations of recombination, any autosomal match between two individuals indicates a possible genetic connection. It examines the nucleotides at specific locations on a person's DNA for genetic genealogy purposes.

Last edited:
I've done Y and MTDNA from FTDNA, my Y came back pretty generic R1b1b2 Atlantic Modal, so I signed up for the Deep Clade-R test which should come back in a couple of weeks. I just got my MTDNA back and again I'm a pretty generic H1. I am still trying to get my brain around what the results mean.
HVR1 differences from CRS
16188G
16519C
HVR2 differences from CRS
263G
309.1C
315.1C
CR differences from CRS
750G
1438G
3010A
3421A
4769G
4859C
8856A
8860G
15326G

My main reason for the Y testing was to try make some connections with some other people to help clear up my genealogy. So far I haven't had much luck, I have made some connections with people with the same surname but they are actually fairly close relations, only 5 or 6 generations back. I'm looking to sort out which group of immigrants my direct ancestor came to America with. There are 3 groups that immigrated to America on in 1733, one in 1749 and another in 1752. Unfortunately there are so many with the same Christian first names that my research group can't sort out who is who.

Y-DNA: R1b1b2a1a1*
mtDNA: N1a1
I have tested myself with 23andMe and FTDNA ...also DNA tribes but that is something I'm trying to forget.:LOL:

My results were so out there, luckily 23andMe got it right though.

I did the genetic test at 37 chromosomes to the DNA Y and mitochondrial DNA, so DNA Y I stayed at M35, I was advised to expand the test and came to E1b1b1a3 V22 + I claimed as a Phoenician (Canaanite), but do not know what time that ancestor had come to Spain, and under what circumstances, besides I have genetic neighbors across Europe, I know, I was told that having genetic neighbors in the Russian Federation and Hungary increased the chances that had entered Spain as a Jew but in my family has no oral tradition that was well and besides I have overlooked genetic half of Europe and the world, well the point is that I do not have the knowledge to get to find out, since I am not an expert in genetics.

I also sent my results to a geneticist who is announced by the network and he said he did not have to be Phoenician, and that more and more busy.

In the project of my haplogroup E, do not loose clothing, no one gets wet when it comes to say: For your lineage arrived in Spain about this or that date, is a small group of elites who know much about genetics but not help those who we know little or nothing, so in the end may be try to pay and pay, as they will eat what you ate Cain, because if entry does not lend a hand, having paid the tests, the minimum is to know something else.

Mitochondrial DNA J took me claimed Celtic (Europe)

I took the Mitochondrial DNA test at FamilytreeDNA. I know that I am haplogroup H but, that doesn't help me much to know my ethnicity since it exist all around Europe. Is autosomal testing reliable enough to determine your ethnicity?

I took the Mitochondrial DNA test at FamilytreeDNA. I know that I am haplogroup H but, that doesn't help me much to know my ethnicity since it exist all around Europe. Is autosomal testing reliable enough to determine your ethnicity?

Maciamo's your man for this, but a DNA forum I belong to says not - too many uncertainties, apparently.

It is always reassuring to certify that you are on planet Earth.

I did all my tests and FamilyTree DNA, and got:

R-U106 for Y-DNA
A for mtDNA
80% white/european, 13% amerindian and 7% afro-american in autosomal (FamilyFinder)

I did all my tests and FamilyTree DNA, and got:

R-U106 for Y-DNA
A for mtDNA
80% white/european, 13% amerindian and 7% afro-american in autosomal (FamilyFinder)

In my laboratory did not give me many%

This thread has been viewed 46614 times.

Back