What DNA tests have you done?

What DNA tests have you done?

• Y-DNA test

Votes: 63 69.2%
  • Mitochondrial DNA test

Votes: 54 59.3%
  • Genealogical autosomal test (X-STR, etc.)

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Autosomal/medical DNA test (23andMe, etc.)

Votes: 43 47.3%
  • None, but I am planning to

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • None

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters

Last edited:
None yet, still trying to figure out which one to do, so reading information about the tests.

Hi!

I hope this is the right thread to post this. I want to take a test but I am not sure about which one to take. I am doubting between 23andme, Geno 2.0 (National Geographic) and FamilyTreeDNA. Is there any post with pros and cons about them? Any suggestion?

My idea is to know the family group I come from and know more about the history of my family (I can only reach up to the 4th generation), the percentage of Neanderthal DNA I might have (if any) and see if there is some cousin around.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Follow the link How wecan trace our ancestry with DNA Which test to take by Marciano, which gives a pretty good idea of the different test available. Good luck and bienvenido/a al forum!

Hi!

I hope this is the right thread to post this. I want to take a test but I am not sure about which one to take. I am doubting between 23andme, Geno 2.0 (National Geographic) and FamilyTreeDNA. Is there any post with pros and cons about them? Any suggestion?

My idea is to know the family group I come from and know more about the history of my family (I can only reach up to the 4th generation), the percentage of Neanderthal DNA I might have (if any) and see if there is some cousin around.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

National Geogrpahic GENO? Is somebody in 2017 realy choose it?

I did both family tree and ancestry I found family tree breaks done borders better in my opinion.

I put my 23andme sample in the mail yesterday; should arrive at their lab on Monday. What are some of the other more prominent tests I can transfer my results to?

I've previously done the National Geographic Genographic 2.0 Helix Test. As well as the Insitome Neanderthal traits test. Insitome is going to have their own ancestry test later this fall, which I plan on doing.

I first tested with 23andMe and the results included a Y haplogroup of R1b-L21 and mtDNA haplogroup of J1c3. I uploaded my data from 23andMe to GEDmatch, MyHeritage, FTDNA, Genomelink, WeGene, MyTrueAncestry and dna.jameslick.com. These uploads were all initially free, although I've since paid to upgrade at MyTrueAncestry and GEDmatch, and at WeGene uploads are no longer free. At dna.jameslick.com my estimated mtDNA haplogroup was deepened to J1c3b2.

I recently took the Big Y-700, and my terminal Y SNP is BY154246 (L21>DF13>DF21>DF25>DF5>FGC3899>FGC58919>BY154246). Big Y was worthwhile, because my matches have illuminated the history of my paternal line.

I also tested with AncestryDNA this year, and this was useful for my more recent genealogy. The ThruLines feature in particular has confirmed that the 16 grandparents of my grandparents were all indeed my biological ancestors, because of my multiple DNA matches with their cousins and other descendants. This might seem unsurprising, but I was surprised by the number of previously unsuspected adoptions and IVF sperm donor conceptions revealed by my DNA matches with previously unknown biological cousins.

For example, I discovered that my father had a half-sister he never knew about who was adopted by another family. She never knew that she was adopted, but her daughter has such a strong DNA match to me and other cousins that my paternal grandfather is the only plausible candidate for her biological father.

I've done:

23andMe, AncestryDNA, FTDNA, and uploaded all of those three on myheritage

Started this genetic journey with y-testing with FtDnA, now have gotten the Big Y-700 at FtDNA done.
23andme showed a couple of my direct cousins were on that site.
Did YSEQ

GEDmatch, myHeritage and mytrueancestry were uploaded with FtDNA results.
Mom and Dad have done AncestryDNA, so figured my addition would not help much on that site.

I have ordered and sent my DNA to DNA Consultants, a company that is based in Colorado, but has their labs in Ohio. I did the European DNA Fingerprints Test, because from my family tree, I only see European ancestry.

I've done AncestryDNA, 23andMe, MyHeritage and LivingDNA, as well as the Big Y and mtDNA tests at FTDNA.

I've uploaded kits to FTDNA and MyHeritage.

I've done FTDNA and MyHeritage. My haplogroups are here and that's the furthest I could go with my raw data, they mirror pretty well my ethnicity.

23andME and FTDNA (Y12 and Family Finder ) and WGS

23andMe, AncestryDNA, FamilyTreeDNA

This thread has been viewed 46614 times.

Back