The Celts of Iberia

Status
Not open for further replies.
In no way Portugal has the highest and most enduring levels of Celtic settlements
In Iberia, yes it could be. Some experts in the matter, from the University of Milwaukee, might disagree with you :

"Modern scholarship, however, has clearly proven that Celtic presence and influences were most substantial in Iberia (with perhaps the highest settlement saturation in Western Europe), particularly in the western and northern regions. "

Alberto J. Lorrio, Gonzalo Ruiz Zapatero (2005). "The Celts in Iberia: An Overview". E-Keltoi: Journal of Interdisciplinary Celtic Studies 6: 167–254. http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/celtic/ekeltoi/volumes/vol6/6_4/lorrio_zapatero_6_4.html.

Did I say Portugal? But now that you mention it, take a good look at the Celtic maps. At one time, practically all of Iberia spoke Celtic and Celtic influenced languages
Also, N. Portugal was part of Gallaecia and had some of the most extensive Celtic settlements in Iberia and Western Europe. Have you ever heard of Citania de Briteiros near Gimaraes. Think again...

Sorry, but that is just not correct. There are large swathes of Iberia (approximately an arc from Navarre to Catalonia to Murcia, as well as a large part of Andalusia (up to approximately the Guadalquivir river) was never Celtic.

Did I say Portugal? But now that you mention it, take a good look at the Celtic maps. At one time, practically all of Western Iberia spoke Celtic and Celtic influenced languages

At one time pratically all of Western Europe spoke Celtic languages except some Pocket like Lusitania

If the belonging to Celtic civilization is only based on dance, the Celtic civilization may have been very poor
I didn't say dances, I said Celtic folk, culture, traditions, mythology,etc.
The Muñeira Ribeirana was jut an example of cultural expression Galicia. I could have said another example, like some of the mythology or fesitivities of Asturias or Cantabria, that has shared elements with the mythology of the British Isles.

Did I say Portugal? But now that you mention it, take a good look at the Celtic maps. At one time, practically all of Western Iberia spoke Celtic and Celtic influenced languages

As I said earlier, hardly 50% of the Iberian Peninsula was Celtic when you take into account Iberia, Lusitania, Basque country, Tartessos

50%, 70%, 90% How you can reach the data percentage?

"Modern scholarship, however, has clearly proven that Celtic presence and influences were most substantial in Iberia (with perhaps the highest settlement saturation in Western Europe), particularly in the western and northern regions. "

Ok, so Western Iberia (minus Lusitania and Tartessos) and northern Iberia (minus Basque country, Catalonia) had highest celtic settlement than for instance France as a whole or Southern Germany ?

Not a crazy idea that Iberia had a strong Celtic presence, does not the European continent was populated from different and distant geographic locations?, plus the fact that some people defend with such zeal and earnestness the celticity of Spain show that has having a great truth in it, because nobody could defend a lie with such force unless it is convinced he knows and feels, however critics of Celtic Spain are subject to a topical and erroneous beliefs about Spain not know and do not feel them and in the case of French counterpoint exercise in relation to his own country France, and all the garbage that France has written about Spain, which is why the French is impossible that Spain may have something to do with them, in the case of denial by Germans is spinning in my head to find the reason, when I get it I'll tell you, though it is curious that the biggest opponents on the question whether France and Germany, the two European powers, the opposition may have a sense of power and economic course, since Spain has power and has the potential, but takes 500 years to return to be a big country in Europe, so a future competitor of France and Germany.

Not a crazy idea that Iberia had a strong Celtic presence, does not the European continent was populated from different and distant geographic locations?, plus the fact that some people defend with such zeal and earnestness the celticity of Spain show that has having a great truth in it, because nobody could defend a lie with such force unless it is convinced he knows and feels, however critics of Celtic Spain are subject to a topical and erroneous beliefs about Spain not know and do not feel them and in the case of French counterpoint exercise in relation to his own country France, and all the garbage that France has written about Spain, which is why the French is impossible that Spain may have something to do with them, in the case of denial by Germans is spinning in my head to find the reason, when I get it I'll tell you

I was waiting for the "French denial" card, or the "no more argument" card. French people consider themselves as "Latin" culturally which is a bit more understandable than this "Spanish Celtic folk" 2000 years after any Celtic language was ever being spoken in Spain.

I am the first to hallucinate with these groups of Spanish and Portuguese music that mimic the sounds Irish, it seems all a commercial setting and consider myself Spanish above anything else, but when someone defends something so hard I think something There is much truth or otherwise is the defense of a madman.

I myself could not stand a few years ago so many celticity Galician and Portuguese I had an ancestor called Ardila, I did mitochondrial DNA testing and gave me Celtic, never in life I could have imagined.

Not a crazy idea that Iberia had a strong Celtic presence, does not the European continent was populated from different and distant geographic locations?, plus the fact that some people defend with such zeal and earnestness the celticity of Spain show that has having a great truth in it, because nobody could defend a lie with such force unless it is convinced he knows and feels, however critics of Celtic Spain are subject to a topical and erroneous beliefs about Spain not know and do not feel them and in the case of French counterpoint exercise in relation to his own country France, and all the garbage that France has written about Spain, which is why the French is impossible that Spain may have something to do with them, in the case of denial by Germans is spinning in my head to find the reason, when I get it I'll tell you, though it is curious that the biggest opponents on the question whether France and Germany, the two European powers, the opposition may have a sense of power and economic course, since Spain has power and has the potential, but takes 500 years to return to be a big country in Europe, so a future competitor of France and Germany.

Excuse me if saying that Western and Northern Iberia had not the highest Celtic settlement of Europe is writting garbage about Spain LOL

Reactions on this thread are so passionate

^^

No, man, I do not think so at all, threw away decades and centuries ago, today must be more fine and subtle. Those who argue in this thread the Celtic Spain if fans, critics are in a more comfortable position.

Sorry, but that is just not correct. There are large swathes of Iberia (approximately an arc from Navarre to Catalonia to Murcia, as well as a large part of Andalusia (up to approximately the Guadalquivir river) was never Celtic.

I meant WESTERN Iberia. Reread the post, I corrected it.

Excuse me if saying that Western and Northern Iberia had not the highest Celtic settlement of Europe is writting garbage about Spain LOL

Reactions on this thread are so passionate

Are the archaeologists and historians writing garbage? That's a rather silly way think. Are you more expert than they are? There are numerous sources out there you can reference.

If Iberia didn't have the highest Celtic settlement in Europe it was right up there. Check the body of archaeological work.

Ok, so Western Iberia (minus Lusitania and Tartessos) and northern Iberia (minus Basque country, Catalonia) had highest celtic settlement than for instance France as a whole or Southern Germany ?

Minus Lusitania? Why, because the language behavior was only Para-Celtic? Consider Lusitania's full culture, which was very similar to what we know existed in Gallaecia. Think again...

Yes, when it comes to "saturation". Center-West of Iberia.

I was waiting for the "French denial" card, or the "no more argument" card. French people consider themselves as "Latin" culturally which is a bit more understandable than this "Spanish Celtic folk" 2000 years after any Celtic language was ever being spoken in Spain.
Spain is not celtic, nor any country in the world. Spain is today a ROMANCE country, like France is. However, what we are saying, is that :
1) Iberia has a much celtic ancestry as France or Ireland as demonstrated by language, archeology and genetics, despite not speaking any celtic langauges (today)
2) Despite not speaking anymore celtic languages, the NW of Iberia has culture, traditions, mythology, folk, festivities, customs, which share common elements with other areas like British Isles or Brittany

As I said earlier, hardly 50% of the Iberian Peninsula was Celtic when you take into account Iberia, Lusitania, Basque country, Tartessos

You can't say "hardly 50%." As much as 75% of Iberia was likely POPULATED by Celts or Celtiberians and, yes, the Lusitanians need to be included since they practiced a Celtic culture and even though their language was technically not fully Celtic, it had many Celtic influences and equivalencies - Para-Celtic. See. Wodtko (2010) and Untermann (1987).

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 1018865 times.

Back