Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 1555

Thread: The Celts of Iberia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    27-06-09
    Posts
    2,641
    Points
    12,808
    Level
    34
    Points: 12,808, Level: 34
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

    Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic
    Country: USA - Ohio



    Post The Celts of Iberia

    Quote Originally Posted by Vallicanus View Post
    You can also see phenotypical differences between populations with the same dominant Y-haplogroup.

    My ancestors came to Scotland from the Garfagnana area of north-west Tuscany which has a 76 pc incidence of haplogroup R1b, the same haplogroup that prevails in Scotland and Ireland.
    Phenotypically, few Garfagnini look Scots or Irish and possible different subclades of R1b cannot account for these phenotypical differences.

    Question: Who looks more similar, Rib3 Northern Iberians and Irish or non R1b3 southern Italians and Irish?

    I'm not saying that being in the same haplogroup means you look the same, or even similar, but statistically it makes a contribution to appearance.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    26-01-09
    Posts
    613
    Points
    8,446
    Level
    27
    Points: 8,446, Level: 27
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 5.0%


    Country: UK - Scotland



    Quote Originally Posted by Cambria Red View Post
    Question: Who looks more similar, Rib3 Northern Iberians and Irish or non R1b3 southern Italians and Irish?

    I'm not saying that being in the same haplogroup means you look the same, or even similar, but statistically it makes a contribution to appearance.

    I don't think there are many (if any) large "Brunn" types in northern Iberia while they are the single biggest type in Ireland and present in Scotland.

    By "Brunn" I mean the tall, large-boned, large-faced, snub-tipped-nosed, blondish or reddish phenotype which is the well-known caricature of an Irishman.
    Caricatures are merely exaggerations of the truth.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    27-06-09
    Posts
    2,641
    Points
    12,808
    Level
    34
    Points: 12,808, Level: 34
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

    Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic
    Country: USA - Ohio



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vallicanus View Post
    I don't think there are many (if any) large "Brunn" types in northern Iberia while they are the single biggest type in Ireland and present in Scotland.
    By "Brunn" I mean the tall, large-boned, large-faced, snub-tipped-nosed, blondish or reddish phenotype which is the well-known caricature of an Irishman.
    Caricatures are merely exaggerations of the truth.
    I've seen any number of people of Irish and/or Scottish descent that can easily pass for Iberian, certainly Northern or Central Iberian. How about George Clooney, to use an example most people can relate to? Sean Connery?

    I'm not saying all Irish and Northern Iberians look alike. That's not possible since the genetic influences are not identical for both. However, the two clearly share a genetic substratum. Where do you think the Melisians (sp?) (original Irish) came from. Similarities do occur more often than you think... In the end, who really cares, or should care.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    27-06-09
    Posts
    2,641
    Points
    12,808
    Level
    34
    Points: 12,808, Level: 34
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

    Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic
    Country: USA - Ohio



    Quote Originally Posted by Vallicanus View Post
    I don't think there are many (if any) large "Brunn" types in northern Iberia while they are the single biggest type in Ireland and present in Scotland.
    By "Brunn" I mean the tall, large-boned, large-faced, snub-tipped-nosed, blondish or reddish phenotype which is the well-known caricature of an Irishman.
    Caricatures are merely exaggerations of the truth.
    I don't see "Brunns" as a majority type in those countries. I've been to Scotland at least a dozen times and noticed a number of different physical varieties. Some are taller, more heavy boned Germanic / Nordic types but there are plenty of softer Atlantic or Atlanto-Mediterranean individuals as well. With all due respect, all of my wife's side (Scottish) and half of my son's bloodline hardly look like specimens from a professional wrestling circus...
    Last edited by Cambrius (The Red); 07-07-09 at 00:07.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    26-01-09
    Posts
    613
    Points
    8,446
    Level
    27
    Points: 8,446, Level: 27
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 5.0%


    Country: UK - Scotland



    Quote Originally Posted by Cambria Red View Post
    I don't see "Brunns" as a majority type in those countries. I've been to Scotland at least a dozen times and noticed a number of different physical varieties. Some are taller, more heavy boned Germanic / Nordic types but there are plenty of softer Atlantic or Atlanto-Mediterranean individuals as well. With all due respect, all of my wife's side and half of my son's bloodline hardly look like specimens from a professional wrestling circus...
    I live in Scotland and have seen thousands of people of Irish descent living in Scotland and in Ireland itself.

    Ireland not Scotland is the main Brunn centre but the majority both of Irish or Scots despite the common possession of a predominant R1b haplogroup simply do not resemble physically (especially in their usually large head size and big-boned nature) the bulk of Iberians from anywhere between Andalusia and the Algarve and the Pyrenees, R1b or not.

    There are only a few examples of Germanic types and fewer Brunn/Borreby types in Iberia so the presence or absence of R1b does not tell us a great deal.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    27-06-09
    Posts
    2,641
    Points
    12,808
    Level
    34
    Points: 12,808, Level: 34
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

    Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic
    Country: USA - Ohio



    Quote Originally Posted by Vallicanus View Post
    I live in Scotland and have seen thousands of people of Irish descent living in Scotland and in Ireland itself.
    Ireland not Scotland is the main Brunn centre but the majority both of Irish or Scots despite the common possession of a predominant R1b haplogroup simply do not resemble physically (especially in their usually large head size and big-boned nature) the bulk of Iberians from anywhere between Andalusia and the Algarve and the Pyrenees, R1b or not.
    There are only a few examples of Germanic types and fewer Brunn/Borreby types in Iberia so the presence or absence of R1b does not tell us a great deal.
    I'm not saying that Iberia is full of Brunns, hardly. But you are telling me that in Scotland and Ireland these types are all over the place? I haven't seen that many Brunns in Scotland. I asked my Scottish wife about it just now and she tells me those people are not a real majority, even in Ireland. Of course Scots and Irish are going to look different than Iberians, even Northern Iberians, on average. Like, what's the big wup. My wife's family is ALL Scottish and there is not one there that looks like a Brunn... Some have big heads, however...
    Just relax... All in fun. No need to get irritated...
    Last edited by Cambrius (The Red); 07-07-09 at 02:59.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    27-06-09
    Posts
    2,641
    Points
    12,808
    Level
    34
    Points: 12,808, Level: 34
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

    Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic
    Country: USA - Ohio



    Quote Originally Posted by Vallicanus View Post
    I live in Scotland and have seen thousands of people of Irish descent living in Scotland and in Ireland itself.
    Ireland not Scotland is the main Brunn centre but the majority both of Irish or Scots despite the common possession of a predominant R1b haplogroup simply do not resemble physically (especially in their usually large head size and big-boned nature) the bulk of Iberians from anywhere between Andalusia and the Algarve and the Pyrenees, R1b or not.
    There are only a few examples of Germanic types and fewer Brunn/Borreby types in Iberia so the presence or absence of R1b does not tell us a great deal.
    Hey Vall, I take it back. I did find some "Brunn" Iberians, there are a bunch on Portugal"s National Rugby team, seriously. I'll see if I can provide some links...

  8. #8
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    26-01-09
    Posts
    613
    Points
    8,446
    Level
    27
    Points: 8,446, Level: 27
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 5.0%


    Country: UK - Scotland



    You must look at autosomes and genome-wide studies for relationships between peoples.

    Y-DNA studies are vitiated by the problems of foundation effects, genetic drift and small numerical samples.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    26-01-09
    Posts
    613
    Points
    8,446
    Level
    27
    Points: 8,446, Level: 27
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 5.0%


    Country: UK - Scotland



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Most Iberians are Mediterraneans, some tall, some shorter, with the addition of a few Alpines and Dinarics and fewer Nordics.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    27-06-09
    Posts
    2,641
    Points
    12,808
    Level
    34
    Points: 12,808, Level: 34
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

    Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic
    Country: USA - Ohio



    Quote Originally Posted by Vallicanus View Post
    Most Iberians are Mediterraneans, some tall, some shorter, with the addition of a few Alpines and Dinarics and fewer Nordics.
    Mediterranean and ATLANTO-Mediterranean. There is a difference between the two. The substratum is Celtic.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    26-01-09
    Posts
    613
    Points
    8,446
    Level
    27
    Points: 8,446, Level: 27
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 5.0%


    Country: UK - Scotland



    The Scots and Irish (not all, obviously but far far more than in Iberia) are a large-boned, large-faced people while most (obviously not all) Iberians are of a smaller-boned constitution.

    The mean differences between Scots/Irish on one side and ALL Iberians on the other are so marked that they shatter this putative R1b "unity" (the different sub-clades notwithstanding).

    Stature varies everywhere and with improved living standards South Europeans are closing the gap with North Europeans.

    I don't follow this Atlanto-Mediterranean equals Celtic business.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    27-06-09
    Posts
    2,641
    Points
    12,808
    Level
    34
    Points: 12,808, Level: 34
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

    Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic
    Country: USA - Ohio



    Quote Originally Posted by Vallicanus View Post
    The Scots and Irish (not all, obviously but far far more than in Iberia) are a large-boned, large-faced people while most (obviously not all) Iberians are of a smaller-boned constitution.
    The mean differences between Scots/Irish on one side and ALL Iberians on the other are so marked that they shatter this putative R1b "unity" (the different sub-clades notwithstanding).
    Stature varies everywhere and with improved living standards South Europeans are closing the gap with North Europeans.
    I don't follow this Atlanto-Mediterranean equals Celtic business.
    The two LARGEST waves of Celtic migration were into Iberia, period. That is an historical fact that cannot be denied. Celts practically saturated two thirds of Iberia. Go take a look at the numerous Celtic ruins in Spain and Portugal. And, guess where the majority of Celts originated from that populated the British Isles? They sure as h*** did not come from Ireland!... Just what is your definition of Celtic, anyway? And, don't tell me it only applies to the peoples you find in the British Isles and Brittany... nonsense.

    The original Celts were likely mainly Alpine and hardly resembled the people in Britain you describe. Everyone knows that Nordic and Germanic settlement was higher in the British Isles than Iberia. That makes a BIG difference in the evolution of phenotype. What is this all about, Vill? Why so defensive? I never said that Iberians generally resemble Scottish and Irish. Some do, but most don't. But do not suggest that the genetic substratum and other heritage elements for the central, northern and western ends of Iberia are not Celtic. It makes no sense at all. The evidence is overwhelming!

  13. #13
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    26-01-09
    Posts
    613
    Points
    8,446
    Level
    27
    Points: 8,446, Level: 27
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 5.0%


    Country: UK - Scotland



    Quote Originally Posted by Cambria Red View Post
    The two LARGEST waves of Celtic migration were into Iberia, period. That is an historical fact that cannot be denied. Celts practically saturated two thirds of Iberia. Go take a look at the numerous Celtic ruins in Spain and Portugal. And, guess where the majority of Celts originated from that populated the British Isles? They sure as h*** did not come from Ireland!... Just what is your definition of Celtic, anyway? And, don't tell me it only applies to the peoples you find in the British Isles and Brittany... nonsense.

    The original Celts were likely mainly Alpine and hardly resembled the people in Britain you describe. Everyone knows that Nordic and Germanic settlement was higher in the British Isles than Iberia. That makes a BIG difference in the evolution of phenotype. What is this all about, Vill? Why so defensive? I never said that Iberians generally resemble Scottish and Irish. Some do, but most don't. But do not suggest that the genetic substratum and other heritage elements for the central, northern and western ends of Iberia are not Celtic. It makes no sense at all. The evidence is overwhelming!

    First you say Atlanto-Mediterraneans are "Celtic". You present no evidence to prove this.

    Now you claim the Celts who invaded Iberia were Alpine even though brachycephalic Alpines are few in Portugal and scarce in Spain outside the Cantabrian mountains.

    The point I have been making (which you also concede above) is that despite all this R1b business the Scots and Irish generally do not look like Iberians.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    27-06-09
    Posts
    2,641
    Points
    12,808
    Level
    34
    Points: 12,808, Level: 34
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

    Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic
    Country: USA - Ohio



    Quote Originally Posted by Vallicanus View Post
    First you say Atlanto-Mediterraneans are "Celtic". You present no evidence to prove this.
    Now you claim the Celts who invaded Iberia were Alpine even though brachycephalic Alpines are few in Portugal and scarce in Spain outside the Cantabrian mountains.
    The point I have been making (which you also concede above) is that despite all this R1b business the Scots and Irish generally do not look like Iberians.
    What is your definition of Celtic? You didn't answer that question, did you? Just what is a Celt supposed to look like, a "Brunn"?... You don't actually think there are no reasonable numbers of Atlanto-Mediterranean types in the British Isles, do you? Have you been to Wales, Southern Ireland and Cornwall recently? That phenotype is not all that hard to find in those regions, is it? Again, what is this REALLY all about? Check your history.. Your interpretation of the facts is biased. Why?...
    I already responded that the major phenotype differences are NOT related to the genetic substratum, but much more to the differences in the population mixes over time and, of course, there are also geographic reasons. Obviously, there is substantially more Nordic / Germanic in Britain, so the phenotypes are generally different than what you find in Iberia. Europeans all share basic equivalencies but they are not the same (but some peoples are closer to some than to others).
    In Spain and Portugal there are Mediterranean influences to go with the Celtic underpinnings. Germanic and Nordic contributions are minor, with the exception of pockets in the north and north central - Suevian and Visigothic settlement (e.g., a recent and extensive Y-DNA study revealed major regions of Northern Portugal with I (Y-DNA) levels of nearly 16% in one case and 18% in another). Check Beleza et al. (2006).
    Last edited by Cambrius (The Red); 07-07-09 at 17:11.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    27-06-09
    Posts
    2,641
    Points
    12,808
    Level
    34
    Points: 12,808, Level: 34
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

    Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic
    Country: USA - Ohio



    mt-DNA is even more difficult to deal with. Much more prone to mutation.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    26-01-09
    Posts
    613
    Points
    8,446
    Level
    27
    Points: 8,446, Level: 27
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 5.0%


    Country: UK - Scotland



    In 2007 a survey by Achilli et alia was published concerning the extent of mitrochondrial DNA of Subsaharan African origin. Mitrochondrial DNA is passed from the mother to all her children but only daughters pass it on to their daughters.

    The highest figures in Europe were found for Portugal and Spanish Galicia:

    South Portugal...10.84 per cent
    Central Portugal...6.4 pc
    Galicia (Spain)...3.7 pc
    North Portugal...3.19 pc

  17. #17
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    27-06-09
    Posts
    2,641
    Points
    12,808
    Level
    34
    Points: 12,808, Level: 34
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

    Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic
    Country: USA - Ohio



    Quote Originally Posted by Vallicanus View Post
    In 2007 a survey by Achilli et alia was published concerning the extent of mitrochondrial DNA of Subsaharan African origin. Mitrochondrial DNA is passed from the mother to all her children but only daughters pass it on to their daughters.
    The highest figures in Europe were found for Portugal and Spanish Galicia:
    South Portugal...10.84 per cent
    Central Portugal...6.4 pc
    Galicia (Spain)...3.7 pc
    North Portugal...3.19 pc
    Why in the world are you posting this? What relevance does this have here? Are you trying to be provocative?

    Do you know (I'm sure you do) that Sub-Saharan DNA is found in ALL European countries (yes even in Scandinavia) and that scientists are not even clear if the origins are in fact Sub-Saharan. The subclades found in Iberia and much of Europe are so old most of them may have originated in Asia and they pre-date by eons the Atlantic Slave Trade. Also "Sub-Saharan" Y-DNA in Iberia is essentially 0%. Accounting for variances in population levels, the average "Sub-Saharan" mt-DNA totals in Portugal and Spain are roughly 3%, on the same level as France.

    Do you know a damn about the history of Southern Portugal (Alentejo and the Algarve)? Are you aware that the regions make up only 8% of the country's population? Do you know that the mt-DNA samplings collected for most of the studies conducted in South Portugal are NON-REPRESENTATIVE, because they included small, isolated communities who's individuals had been historically ostracized from greater society due to disease and slavery? Look up the history of Sado and Alcacer do Sal and educate yourself.

    BTW, want to make a bet on the levels of Sub-Saharan DNA existing in Britain's Slave Trade cities, like Liverpool, Bristol and Cardiff? Want to guess how many mixed bloods in Liverpool can trace their ancestry back to 17th-18th England? Come off it, man... Grow up!

  18. #18
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    26-01-09
    Posts
    613
    Points
    8,446
    Level
    27
    Points: 8,446, Level: 27
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 5.0%


    Country: UK - Scotland



    Quote Originally Posted by Cambria Red View Post
    Why in the world are you posting this? What relevance does this have here? Are you trying to be provocative?

    Do you know (I'm sure you do) that Sub-Saharan DNA is found in ALL European countries (yes even in Scandinavia) and that scientists are not even clear if the origins are in fact Sub-Saharan. The subclades found in Iberia and much of Europe are so old most of it may have originated in Asia and they pre-date by eons the Atlantic Slave Trade. Also "Sub-Saharan" Y-DNA in Iberia is essentially 0%. Accounting for variances in population levels, the average "Sub-Saharan" mt-DNA totals in Portugal and Spain are roughly 3%, on the same level as France.

    Do you know a damn about the history of Southern Portugal (Alentejo and the Algarve)? Are you aware that the regions make up only 8% of the country's population? Do you know that the mt-DNA samplings collected for most of the studies conducted in South Portugal are NON-REPRESENTATIVE, because they included small, isolated communities who's individuals had been historically ostracized from greater society due to disease and slavery? Look up the history of Sado and Alcacer do Sal and educate yourself.

    BTW, want to make a bet on the levels of Sub-Saharan DNA existing in Britain's Slave Trade cities, like Liverpool, Bristol and Cardiff? Want to guess how many mixed bloods in Liverpool can trace their ancestry back to 17th-18th England? Come off it, man... Grow up!

    The relevance is that you seem to think that all Iberians are somehow "Celtic" and very European.

    Yes, such SS African mtDNA is found in many parts of Europe but some areas showed up with zero frequency in this report while (all of) Portugal (with Galicia) had the highest figures recorded in Europe. The figure even for North Portugal (3 pc plus) is higher than in other countries. Are you saying they surveyed social outcasts here too. If so, why here and not elsewhere in Europe?
    Accept your roots and don't be racist.

    This may be a SS African trait or not (it probably is) but it certainly is of extra-European origin.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    27-06-09
    Posts
    2,641
    Points
    12,808
    Level
    34
    Points: 12,808, Level: 34
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

    Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic
    Country: USA - Ohio



    Quote Originally Posted by Vallicanus View Post
    The relevance is that you seem to think that all Iberians are somehow "Celtic" and very European.
    Yes, such SS African mtDNA is found in many parts of Europe but some areas showed up with zero frequency in this report while (all of) Portugal (with Galicia) had the highest figures recorded in Europe. The figure even for North Portugal (3 pc plus) is higher than in other countries. Are you saying they surveyed social outcasts here too. If so, why here and not elsewhere in Europe?
    Accept your roots and don't be racist.
    This may be a SS African trait or not (it probably is) but it certainly is of extra-European origin.
    I know my roots only too well and have no issues with them at all. You are the one making stupid suggestions here, no one else. "Don't be racist"... What a laugh... Coming from you that must be some sort of joke, no?

    The substratum and heritage of Western Iberia is Celtic. Finito. If you don't agree with that, that is your problem.

    BTW, never got a response on Britain's Slave Trade towns...

  20. #20
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    26-01-09
    Posts
    613
    Points
    8,446
    Level
    27
    Points: 8,446, Level: 27
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 5.0%


    Country: UK - Scotland



    Quote Originally Posted by Cambria Red View Post
    I know my roots only too well and have no issues with them at all. You are the one making stupid suggestions here, no one else. "Don't be racist"... What a laugh... Coming from you that must be some sort of joke, no?

    The substratum and heritage of Western Iberia is Celtic. Finito. If you don't agree with that, that is your problem.

    BTW, never got a response on Britain's Slave Trade towns...

    Portugal goes way beyond Liverpool etc in its African element and we are dealing with a scientific report (Achilli et alia) and not merely my suggestions.
    Last edited by Vallicanus; 07-07-09 at 23:57.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    27-06-09
    Posts
    2,641
    Points
    12,808
    Level
    34
    Points: 12,808, Level: 34
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

    Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic
    Country: USA - Ohio



    Quote Originally Posted by Vallicanus View Post
    The relevance is that you seem to think that all Iberians are somehow "Celtic" and very European.
    Yes, such SS African mtDNA is found in many parts of Europe but some areas showed up with zero frequency in this report while (all of) Portugal (with Galicia) had the highest figures recorded in Europe. The figure even for North Portugal (3 pc plus) is higher than in other countries. Are you saying they surveyed social outcasts here too. If so, why here and not elsewhere in Europe?
    Accept your roots and don't be racist.
    This may be a SS African trait or not (it probably is) but it certainly is of extra-European origin.
    There is plenty of extra-European origin DNA throughout Europe. Look at Greece and much of Italy, Romania, etc. Lot's of Arab there. More than Spain and Portugal. Does that mean that only a tiny fraction of Europeans are REALLY European? ABSURD!

  22. #22
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    26-01-09
    Posts
    613
    Points
    8,446
    Level
    27
    Points: 8,446, Level: 27
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 5.0%


    Country: UK - Scotland



    Quote Originally Posted by Cambria Red View Post
    There is plenty of extra-European origin DNA throughout Europe. Look at Greece and much of Italy, Romania, etc. Lot's of Arab there. More than Spain and Portugal. Does that mean that only a tiny fraction of Europeans are REALLY European? ABSURD!
    The various parts of Greece have little or no SS African mtDNA. Some parts of Italy do while other parts of Italy have a zero presence in this report.

    Berber (NW African) Y chromosomes reach 18.6 pc in Cantabria, the European maximum recorded so far, and can nearby Portugal be much less?

    Arabs and Berbers are mostly Caucasoid not SS Africans, of course.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    27-06-09
    Posts
    2,641
    Points
    12,808
    Level
    34
    Points: 12,808, Level: 34
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

    Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic
    Country: USA - Ohio



    Quote Originally Posted by Vallicanus View Post
    The relevance is that you seem to think that all Iberians are somehow "Celtic" and very European.
    Yes, such SS African mtDNA is found in many parts of Europe but some areas showed up with zero frequency in this report while (all of) Portugal (with Galicia) had the highest figures recorded in Europe. The figure even for North Portugal (3 pc plus) is higher than in other countries. Are you saying they surveyed social outcasts here too. If so, why here and not elsewhere in Europe?
    Accept your roots and don't be racist.
    This may be a SS African trait or not (it probably is) but it certainly is of extra-European origin.
    Did I say all Iberians were Celtic? No, I said that Western Iberia (WI) is essentially Celtic in substratum. A considerable part of WI is (still) culturally Celtic as well.

    BTW, any trivial SS mt-DNA, or other "extra-origin" levels, in any population has no real affect on its genetic pool. If it did, we would ALL look a lot different.

  24. #24
    No Beer No Point Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Starship's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-09-07
    Location
    Dublin
    Age
    45
    Posts
    171


    Ethnic group
    Irish
    Country: Ireland



    So Im not over weight Im just big boned, thank God for that now where did I put those pies.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    27-06-09
    Posts
    2,641
    Points
    12,808
    Level
    34
    Points: 12,808, Level: 34
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

    Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic
    Country: USA - Ohio



    Quote Originally Posted by Starship View Post
    So Im not over weight Im just big boned, thank God for that now where did I put those pies.
    Guess I can use that excuse as well...

Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Photographic file fenotípico of IBERIA.
    By Carlos in forum Anthropology & Ethnography
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-12-11, 02:01
  2. Ancient place names in Iberia
    By Taranis in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 226
    Last Post: 05-10-11, 01:01
  3. African mtDNA and Y-DNA in Iberia
    By Maciamo in forum DNA Testing & General Genetics
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 27-09-11, 02:56
  4. Celts and Haplogroup G/J
    By Alan in forum Y-DNA Haplogroups
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 23-08-11, 10:46
  5. Do Celts still exist?
    By sparkey in forum European Culture & History
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 15-04-11, 20:45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •