Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 39 of 39

Thread: DNA Tribes, is this a joke ?

  1. #26
    Banned Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    07-09-11
    Posts
    891
    Points
    6,887
    Level
    24
    Points: 6,887, Level: 24
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    Georgian
    Country: Georgia



    I agree with Jackson, you should definitely try 23andme (only 99$ now) or FTDNA and then send your data to Prof. McDonald as well as upload your data on Gedmatch etc.

    I've got some strange results from DNATribes myself :) Closest matches along with understandable Abkhazian, Adyghe or Armenian were Hungarians, Romanians and Bergamo Italy..

  2. #27
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points
    nordicwarbler's Avatar
    Join Date
    20-03-13
    Posts
    201
    Points
    5,095
    Level
    21
    Points: 5,095, Level: 21
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 455
    Overall activity: 10.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 (M253)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

    Ethnic group
    European mix
    Country: United States



    I appreciate the comments, and I may take another test in the future... but at this point I'm more interested in furthering my connection my Andean admixture. I'd like to find my specific tribe if that's possible.

    I have been able to find an area in Argentina where some of the people do resemble some of my extended family members, which is pretty cool.

  3. #28
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Anthro-inclined's Avatar
    Join Date
    13-11-12
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    226
    Points
    2,342
    Level
    13
    Points: 2,342, Level: 13
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Overall activity: 3.0%


    Country: Canada



    Quote Originally Posted by nordicwarbler View Post
    I appreciate the comments, and I may take another test in the future... but at this point I'm more interested in furthering my connection my Andean admixture. I'd like to find my specific tribe if that's possible.

    I have been able to find an area in Argentina where some of the people do resemble some of my extended family members, which is pretty cool.
    So how did this site know exactly you were Incan, that is such a precise claim that it has to be suspicious. I dont know much about autosomal DNA or trying to group people, but I remember that Larry David got a test done on a talk show and the test said he was 50 percent Native American. This was obviously wrong, as most Indigenious people dont carry this much admixture because of intermixing, and I mean its Larry David. I guess my point is NW, do you really think this is a truthful test, I mean people on here are getting back the most ridiculous results.

  4. #29
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points
    nordicwarbler's Avatar
    Join Date
    20-03-13
    Posts
    201
    Points
    5,095
    Level
    21
    Points: 5,095, Level: 21
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 455
    Overall activity: 10.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 (M253)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

    Ethnic group
    European mix
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Anthro-inclined View Post
    So how did this site know exactly you were Incan, that is such a precise claim that it has to be suspicious. I dont know much about autosomal DNA or trying to group people, but I remember that Larry David got a test done on a talk show and the test said he was 50 percent Native American. This was obviously wrong, as most Indigenious people dont carry this much admixture because of intermixing, and I mean its Larry David. I guess my point is NW, do you really think this is a truthful test, I mean people on here are getting back the most ridiculous results.
    That's my reading of the test-- the Andean admixture is much, much higher for this category than the others. This test can get pretty specific, here are the Native American regions they test for:

    Mayan
    Central American
    Amazonian
    Andean
    Gran Chaco
    Patagonian
    Ojibwa
    North Amerindian
    Athabaskan
    Mexican
    Salishan
    Artic

    For the Andean region they include this description-- "Peoples of the Andean Mountains of South America, including the territories of the historical Inca Empire." They include a color coordinated map for each category and their Andean Region corresponds almost perfectly to the ancient Incan Empire.

    Interestingly my dad tested zero percent for both Amazonian and North Amerindian regions, and .01 for Athabaskan and Patagonian regions.

  5. #30
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    nordicquarreler's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-13
    Posts
    351
    Points
    6,087
    Level
    23
    Points: 6,087, Level: 23
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 463
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 (M253)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

    Ethnic group
    European mix
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by nordicwarbler View Post
    My father recently got his DNA Tribes results... but first some background information.

    Our paternal line has been in the U.S. since at least the 1700's. We have a fairly Germanic surname, and my dad is at least 25% recent Irish import through his maternal side (he's even visited the family property in Ireland). We've estimated his Irish admixture at 40%. My dad is y-haplogroup I1 with maternal haplogroup H.

    We were expecting a standard European mix result (like my mom's side of the family got with the same test). There's an even mix of blue and brown eyes in his extended group (big family) with a decent amount of green sprinkled in too. Most siblings and cousins have blonde or light brown hair-- with one aunt and one female cousin having an 'exotic beauty' look none of us could figure out.

    Also we wanted a native North American tie because it would be cool since we've been here for so long... but the test showed zero for the North Amerindian tribes. Almost no Irish admixture showed up and barely any German showed up.

    The number one result... drum roll please... Andean tribe (from the Andes Mountains-- the Incas). We have no idea how it got there. Depending on how the test works I have it between 19 to 60% native Andes admixture.

    I guess now I'm NordicIncan Warrior. Get ready for an overload of Incan facts and figures and reports of how great of structure Miccu Piccu (spelling?) is because that's how I roll.
    UPDATE

    Received father's results from 23 and Me. Very different from DNA Tribes.

    99.6% European genetic material.

    No Asian, Native American, or African admixtures.

    16% of DNA can be traced directly to British Isles/Ireland.

  6. #31
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    nordicquarreler's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-13
    Posts
    351
    Points
    6,087
    Level
    23
    Points: 6,087, Level: 23
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 463
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 (M253)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

    Ethnic group
    European mix
    Country: United States



    I view this process as a journey so I don't regret my DNA Tribes experience. I've learned much about the Incan culture and am fascinated by their incredible feats of stone transport and stone carving. I do think some of my father's distant cousins settled in Peru and Argentina and that's how DNA Tribes picked up these areas.

    But for tracing genetic history, I think 23 and Me is far more accurate than DNA Tribes.

  7. #32
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Templar's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-10-11
    Posts
    622
    Points
    8,324
    Level
    27
    Points: 8,324, Level: 27
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 426
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    Paleolithic European
    Country: Bosnia & Herzegovina



    Quote Originally Posted by nordicquarreler View Post
    UPDATE

    Received father's results from 23 and Me. Very different from DNA Tribes.

    99.6% European genetic material.

    No Asian, Native American, or African admixtures.

    16% of DNA can be traced directly to British Isles/Ireland.
    Wow it is amazing how different the results are from the two tests. I wonder if it would be possible to sue DNA tribes, hmm...

    Btw Nordic, any other details about the test? Could they figure out if you were more Anglo-Saxon or Scandinavian (I know they are practically the same but maybe they can pick up some differences).

  8. #33
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    nordicquarreler's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-13
    Posts
    351
    Points
    6,087
    Level
    23
    Points: 6,087, Level: 23
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 463
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 (M253)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

    Ethnic group
    European mix
    Country: United States



    23 and Me has pretty thorough group assignments.

    The European contribution looks like this:

    81.8% Northern European
    1.6% Southern European
    .6% Eastern European
    15.6% Non-specific European
    .4% Unassigned

    Each geographical segment is then further explained:
    ie. the Northern European looks like...
    16% British and Irish
    1.4% French and German
    64.5% Non-specific Northern European

    I think the huge non-specific number is due to the fact that my paternal line has been in the Americas since at least the 1700's. (More mixing over here than in Europe).

    The solid Irish contribution should stem back to a maternal great grandfather that sailed to America as a youth.

    The bummer is that no further y-SNP testing was performed so I'm in the same spot I was in before.

    FTDNA is now supposed to test for 10,000 SNP's so that's the logical step for any SNP hunter.

  9. #34
    Junior Member Achievements:
    7 days registered

    Join Date
    14-07-13
    Posts
    5
    Points
    81
    Level
    1
    Points: 81, Level: 1
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: USA - Wisconsin



    DNA Tribes is the last organization that gave me a report using my FTDNA results. While I can't vouch for their testing capability, their analysis of the data was right on target and aligned with Family Tree's report. Moreover, since I had also tested with Genographic 2.0, I had three reports in hand that were in agreement. To further shore up the information I have, I've run my FTDNA and Geno 2 results through Dodecad, Interpretome, Eurogenes as well and aside from a few minute differences, the output from all six organizations is the same. Since I am curious I ran my wife's FTDNA data through DNA Tribes and her report squared with FTdna and the output I got from Dodecad, Eurogenes, and Interpretome. I think that unless someone can put the model / algorithm mechanics up and clearly show the flaws, they are not qualified to say that a particular firm is producing flawed results.
    Last edited by Rudy228; 17-07-13 at 03:51. Reason: typing errors

  10. #35
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    27-06-09
    Posts
    2,640
    Points
    12,808
    Level
    34
    Points: 12,808, Level: 34
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

    Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic
    Country: USA - Ohio



    Never thought much of DNA Tribes. Maybe their methodology has improved recently.

  11. #36
    Regular Member Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    zanipolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    22-03-11
    Posts
    2,073
    Points
    22,792
    Level
    46
    Points: 22,792, Level: 46
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 758
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a4o

    Ethnic group
    Down Under
    Country: Australia



    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy228 View Post
    DNA Tribes is the last organization that gave me a report using my FTDNA results. While I can't vouch for their testing capability, their analysis of the data was right on target and aligned with Family Tree's report. Moreover, since I had also tested with Genographic 2.0, I had three reports in hand that were in agreement. To further shore up the information I have, I've run my FTDNA and Geno 2 results through Dodecad, Interpretome, Eurogenes as well and aside from a few minute differences, the output from all six organizations is the same. Since I am curious I ran my wife's FTDNA data through DNA Tribes and her report squared with FTdna and the output I got from Dodecad, Eurogenes, and Interpretome. I think that unless someone can put the model / algorithm mechanics up and clearly show the flaws, they are not qualified to say that a particular firm is producing flawed results.
    I have done the DNAtribes and initially I did not agree with them......more because they had limited naming system for the regions. But I found they seemed to have been more accurate than what I thought. I just need to adjust their naming and see where it fits with the neighbours of who they named.

    I recently did Interpretome and found all same results as :
    - DougM test ...that I am 100% european ( although they call it CEU )

    - plotting,............surrounded by North_Italian, Orcadian and some French ........same as most gedmatch ( except missing some finnish/estonian )

    - PRORES ( i think that's whats it s called ) had me only sitting with finns, swedes and norwegians ) ......my maternal ancestors noted by GenBank, FTDNA and others has me with a 16th century match ....with either a Finn, estonian or swede )...so ...I am unsure what value this test was.


    Never done Geno 2.0 ............but I might try 23andme

    regards
    Last edited by zanipolo; 17-07-13 at 12:06.
    Father's Mtdna H95a1
    Grandfather Mtdna T2b24
    Great Grandfather Mtdna T1a1e
    GMother paternal side YDna R1b-S8172
    Mother's YDna R1a-Z282

  12. #37
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    16-05-14
    Posts
    1
    Points
    42
    Level
    1
    Points: 42, Level: 1
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 3.0%


    Country: United States



    1 members found this post helpful.
    The message entitled "DNA Tribes, is this a joke?" is in poor taste and shows a sad lack of understanding of DNA analyses. In my case, I've had analysis done with DNA Tribes, Family Tree DNA's Population Finder and their myOrigins product (which are totally different), and I've done all the analyses with the multitude of calculators at GEDMatch.

    If you're going to call one of them a "joke" then you might as well say that about them all, because they're all doing similar things. It's all based on statistics. In DNA Tribes case, however, they give the novice too much information with little explanation. But, at least they give you some information, FTDNA give you almost nothing but a a few overly general "heatmaps." D

    T tells you upfront that tribal similarity and relationships does not denote direct ancestry, just that these are the populations in their database that are statistically shown to be correlated with your markers. But, it's still up to you to triangulate the information with genealogical and ancestral data. Admittedly, they do give you too much information, including a long list of populations in which your statistical relationship is null (i,e. zero similarity).

    But, give them a break, and read their instructions carefully. They're not saying that these are your ancestors (genetics is too complicated for such a simple statement). This is emerging science and all the companies are breaking new ground moving forward. I'd recommend taking what they tell you, and adding what you and your family know, and have some fun with it as you try to make some sense of it all. It's a process, not a diagnosis like a medical test.

  13. #38
    Regular Member Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Sile's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-09-11
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,119
    Points
    29,699
    Level
    52
    Points: 29,699, Level: 52
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 37.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1 ..Pannoni

    Ethnic group
    North Alpine Italian
    Country: Australia



    Quote Originally Posted by jpm View Post
    The message entitled "DNA Tribes, is this a joke?" is in poor taste and shows a sad lack of understanding of DNA analyses. In my case, I've had analysis done with DNA Tribes, Family Tree DNA's Population Finder and their myOrigins product (which are totally different), and I've done all the analyses with the multitude of calculators at GEDMatch.

    If you're going to call one of them a "joke" then you might as well say that about them all, because they're all doing similar things. It's all based on statistics. In DNA Tribes case, however, they give the novice too much information with little explanation. But, at least they give you some information, FTDNA give you almost nothing but a a few overly general "heatmaps." D

    T tells you upfront that tribal similarity and relationships does not denote direct ancestry, just that these are the populations in their database that are statistically shown to be correlated with your markers. But, it's still up to you to triangulate the information with genealogical and ancestral data. Admittedly, they do give you too much information, including a long list of populations in which your statistical relationship is null (i,e. zero similarity).

    But, give them a break, and read their instructions carefully. They're not saying that these are your ancestors (genetics is too complicated for such a simple statement). This is emerging science and all the companies are breaking new ground moving forward. I'd recommend taking what they tell you, and adding what you and your family know, and have some fun with it as you try to make some sense of it all. It's a process, not a diagnosis like a medical test.
    Interpretome is the most accurate for me , others all follow slightly behind
    http://esquilax.stanford.edu/


    I have no issue with DT , as you say, one needs to read it thourghly
    có che un pòpoło no 'l defende pi ła só łéngua el xe prónto par èser s'ciavo

    when a people no longer dares to defend its language it is ripe for slavery.

  14. #39
    Viscount Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveThree FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    nordicwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-10-12
    Posts
    363
    Points
    11,616
    Level
    32
    Points: 11,616, Level: 32
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Overall activity: 6.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 (M253)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

    Ethnic group
    European Mix
    Country: United States



    This is years later... but if anyone is interested in this subject, I may have an explanation of these "wacky" DNA Tribe results. And surprisingly I think each testing agency was accurate in their own way. Please allow me to elaborate.

    My father's side of the family has been in the United States since the Revolutionary War, in fact two of my paternal great, great, great, etc. grandfathers fought against the British in the American Revolution (specifically in the Pennsylvania Militia simply because there was no United States Military yet) the older of the two fought as a Sergeant. Another paternal grandfather fought for the United States during the War of 1812 and he actually died on the way home from this war (cause is not listed in the census... disease? injury? accident?-- we don't know).

    So as you can see we have been here in the United States for a lengthy period of time, and these paternal and maternal family lineages all seem to tie back to heavily Germanic origins (using surname information-- except for a maternal grandfather from Ireland). Old family photographs show Germanic or Nordic looking individuals.

    So how does the South American aspect from DNA Tribes come into play? My theory is that after WWII, we know that a chunk of Germans resettled in various parts of South America--an "interesting" branch of history that I won't address in this thread-- anyway my thinking is that some of these post WWII "genetically German outcroppings" look at the DNA level pretty much like my Germanic family that left Northern Europe a few hundred years earlier.

    The computer only reports exactly what it sees. The raw data is shaped by historical context. Any other ideas out there?
    Last edited by nordicwarrior; 06-12-19 at 23:59.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Irish-looking Tribes in Western China?
    By EdZiomek in forum Autosomal Genetics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 22-03-15, 19:53
  2. linking haplogroups to tribes
    By j2a4 in forum DNA Testing & General Genetics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29-07-13, 20:05
  3. origin of Celtic and Germanic tribes
    By Haganus in forum DNA Testing & General Genetics
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 13-01-12, 04:57
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-09-11, 04:45
  5. Languages, haplogroups, and tribes
    By how yes no 2 in forum Y-DNA Haplogroups
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: 05-07-11, 08:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •