African mtDNA and Y-DNA in Iberia

Callaeca, a new study in 2010 in a sample of 686 has not found any L in Spain, and only 1.9% in Andalusia :
http://biotech-events.ifrance.com/CONFERENCES2006/037 LOPEZ_PEREZ.pdf

The link reads that the study came out in 2006.

Later this year, the University of Chicago apparently will be leading a large autosomal DNA research project covering all major European nations, including Spain and Portugal. They will be employing stat-of-the-art techniques. Stay tuned.

The link reads that the study came out in 2006.

Later this year, the University of Chicago apparently will be leading a large autosomal DNA research project covering all major European nations, including Spain and Portugal. They will be employing stat-of-the-art techniques. Stay tuned.
Yes, that's correct it is from 2006, I confused it with the González-Pérez et al. (2010) admixture study:

"They estimate Sub-Saharan African admixture using two methods that yield vastly disparate results. In the Discussion section, they admit that the inflated "Alu/STR estimate might be artefactual" and favor the estimate based on the Alu loci set alone because it's consistent with previous mtDNA, Y-chromosome and 500,000-SNP structure data.

According to the more accurate latter method, Sub-Saharan African admixture is ~13% in North Africa and "imperceptible" (~0.01%) in Southern Europe :
gonzalezperez2010admixt.png

Yes, that's correct it is from 2006, I confused it with the González-Pérez et al. (2010) admixture study:

"They estimate Sub-Saharan African admixture using two methods that yield vastly disparate results. In the Discussion section, they admit that the inflated "Alu/STR estimate might be artefactual" and favor the estimate based on the Alu loci set alone because it's consistent with previous mtDNA, Y-chromosome and 500,000-SNP structure data.

According to the more accurate latter method, Sub-Saharan African admixture is ~13% in North Africa and "imperceptible" (~0.01%) in Southern Europe :
gonzalezperez2010admixt.png

I like how they list Northern Spain and the Basque Country as Mediterranean...:LOL: I guess even scientists have issues with geographic logic.

yes, some geography and history lessons would do good to some so-called scientists(y)

Now that we start talking about autosomal, let's learn more about it.

Neutral autosomal markers

Adaptive autosomal markers

Recently, the genetic testing company AncestryByDNA was criticized for providing information about ancestry based in part on loci that have undergone strong selection and may reflect similar environmental exposures rather than shared ancestry.
Thanks for this insight. This is not my field, but I am interested in it, so I depend upon the more knowledgeable for assistance such as this.

First and third links do not work for me.
yes, it's because you have to be suscribed to Nature to see the studies. I've uploaded the study in PDF:
Altough, you can see in the second link, the table of haplogroups, U6a1 is found at 4.5% in Brittany

Attachments

• 5201145a.pdf
    139.7 KB · Views: 111
Thanks for the links Wilhelm. Maciamo may change the title of the topic to 'African mtDNA and Y-DNA in Europe'.

yes, it's because you have to be suscribed to Nature to see the studies. I've uploaded the study in PDF:
Altough, you can see in the second link, the table of haplogroups, U6a1 is found at 4.5% in Brittany

Many thanks.

I'm surprised that none still has mentioned the special case of Valle de Pasiegos (Pasiegos Valley).

Valle de Pasiegos is a very isolated region in Cantabria (North-Spain) and next to the Basque Country.
How is your country of residence "Spain", your nationality "Spaniard", and your mother tongue "Spanish", but you refer to Valle del Pas as "Valle de Pasiegos"?

Even in the unusual (not impossible) event that a Spaniard wanted to call the valley by the name of its residents, he would call it "valle de los pasiegos".

I'm not from Cantabria. In some genetic studies (and other souces) I've found in my personal researchs the place is named as "Valle de Pasiegos". But I've checked out again about this place and looks like you're right.

Maciamo
I was also wondering why a place like Galicia, with no recorded settlement from the Near East or North Africa, should have so much E1b1b. We could imagine a Paleolithic migration for E-M81, but how about the E-M123 from the Middle East ? Unknown Phoenician settlement ? I still do not have the answer.

It seems since the dawn of the Bronze Age that the bond of unity of the nation was the traffic Ligurian tin, lead and gold from the UK, Galicia and central Portugal. These goods such as minerals (cassiterite) or pure metal (gold) should be the subject of an active trade, carried out first by land and from village to village along the lines of what happened with Baltic amber and the Hyperborean offerings to Delphic Apollo. Later this trade was by sea, to the lower Guadalquivir where it seems that the processing and trade would reach a special significance. At some point, when a reality Tartessos city and traffic took a qualitatively higher volume, low Andalusia centralize trade Ligures minerals, acting as a redistribution center [5]. This is clear for the tin trade is a basic ingredient of the famous bronze tartésico. Tin is not obtained pure, but it brings to the bronze alloy as its ore cassiterite directly in regard to lead this is also a necessary ingredient in the "primitive cupellation" in cases of low grade ores and different argentífera the Galena, just as is usually the case for minerals argentiferous immediate environment Tartessos.

Torre de Hercules in La Coruña, I remember the tin route to Albion Ostriminia and followed by Ligurian and Tartessos.

So far we have assumed that commercial traffic Tartessos minerals through the Ligurian was hidden from the Phoenician colonists settled in Cadiz, and build a closely guarded secret in the custody of charts Tartessian the monarchy itself, which is directly responsible train its pilots in a "Naval Academy" special. While this may be partly true, we are inclined rather by the possibility was that the Phoenicians arrived Tartessos Cadiz from one moment to a mutual non-interference pact of trade or commerce being beyond the columns Hercules forbidden Phoenicians and Tartessos Mediterranean trade. [6]. The expansion of Phoenician colonies along the coast protuguesas does not suggest that the Phoenicians arrived later to replace for a while Tartessian hegemony in the domain of the trade route, but we think that without making direct trips to Britain and Armorica not interested by the approach of metals from there to the Phoenician colonies themselves the Portuguese coast and Andalusia.

Tartessos that sailors had contact with the Ligurian settlements that traded with is a proven fact. So from a business point did Ligurian-flow-Phoenician Tartessian long-distance transactions with the Mediterranean end of the apex or intermediary was necessary Tartessos

This thread has been viewed 115036 times.

Back