Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

View Poll Results: What is your choice for a single European language?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • English (top 10 world languages)

32 46.38%
  • Spanish (top 10 world languages)

1 1.45%
  • Portuguese (top 10 world languages)

1 1.45%
  • Latin

13 18.84%
  • Esperanto

4 5.80%
  • German

3 4.35%
  • French

0 0%
  • A new hybrid

15 21.74%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: European Common Language - The Poll

As a native English speaker, I would prefer Esperanto as the future global language :)
    Communciation should be for everyone, not just for an educational or political elite; that is how English is used at the moment

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Starship View Post
    Why do you feel so strongly that everyone should speak the one language "English" in parliament edao? If its that essential we all speak the same language why did you kick up quiet so big a fuss back in the forties, we could all be speaking German now
    In my opinion the benefits on a united Europe with all people able to freely communicate, work, travel and exchange all aspects of their culture far out weigh any romantic notions of the diversity of language.

Most peoples objections stem from insecurities about their own identity, who am I if I am born in France, live in France all my life and yet I dont speak French. Are they less French, or German if they adopt a unifying language? The Scots Irish and Welsh all speak English does it make us some kind of generic culture, not really.

I think people are still to tribal:

"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."
    Charles Darwin

I feel if Europe is to truly take the world by the horns and stop the Americans making an arse of it we need to put medieval ideas of nationalism behind us and unite as Europeans. Lets not fear change!

Imagine a room full of people who all speak their own different language, you set them a task to work together. Then compare their results with a room full of people who all speak the same language, there is no doubt who will be more productive. (I mean that in a metaphorical sense, not literally )

Ethnic group
    Irish

Ok I take your point on the practicalities of one language for doing business, tower of Babel and all. But if you take the long view (and hope) this EU project is in for the long haul then I believe such practicalities will sort themselves out, maybe it will be English as a successful international language, maybe German as the economic power house of Europe but in the short term we should encourage multilingualism in our citizens.

I think Britain and Ireland have perhaps the worst track record in bringing up our kids with more than one language. In Ireland the most successful people speak Irish and English and learning a second language at an early age makes learning a third or fourth a lot easier.

http://[URL="http://www.csmonitor.com/world/europe/2010/0126/is-once-maligned-irish-language"]www.csmonitor.com/world/europe/2010/0126/is-once-maligned-irish-language[/URL]

Water will always find its own course and I think the language for doing business will in the end be decided by business men/women. But for the Union to continue forward I think it is essential we bring as many of the people with us as we go and if that means spending money on minority languages then so be it, its good for democracy and its good for the Union.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Pre-Adam
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Pre-Eva

Ethnic group
    Albanian - Dinaric

I think all that is utopia.

We had Roman Empire. It did'nt create united Europe, but it divided more than it was divided.

In Europe was only Celtic, Italic, and Balkanic cultures, then after fall of Empire, a lot of new languages were born Spanish, Portuguese, French, Provans, Galician, Italian, Sardinian, Crosican, Retoroman, Vlach, Romanian etc..

Diferentiation is a law of nature. We can not stop it. We are different we must be so.

And all nations have a culture, which is linked to their language. Then the assimilation will destroy all these cultures, and new bastard cultures will be created.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Toubon Law

"Broadcasted musical works are subject to quota rules under a related law whereby a minimum percentage of the songs on radio and television must be in the French language."

The Toubon Law (full name: law 94-665 of 4 August 1994 relating to usage of the French language), is a law of the French government mandating the use of the French language in official government publications, in all advertisements, in all workplaces, in commercial contracts, in some other commercial communication contexts, in all government-financed schools, and some other contexts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toubon_Law

It would be interesting to know if other countries in Europe have similar laws designed to protect their language? It seems pretty desperate to me to be making laws dictating what percentage of songs have to be in French. Surely this kind of approach goes agaisnt the diversity of language? How can language develop naturally when there are artificial laws governing its dominance.

Sounds like the French are scared of change!

Ethnic group
    White (Nordic)

Why bother creating a new hybrid when we've gotten so far with English.
    People need to stop seeing it as an attack on their own languages but a way for all humans to communicate with one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Neander View Post
    Latin language. It is fair for all, because no one nation is privileged in that case.
    I agree. It would be neutral and especially good for documentation.

The rivalry between speakers of English, French and Spanish would upset European unity.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V22/YF66572
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c5c1

Spanish or Castilian is an Iberian Romance language group. It is one of the six official UN languages ​​and, after Mandarin Chinese is the language most spoken in the world by the number of people who are native speakers. It is also an official language in several major international political and economic organizations (EU, AU, OAS, OEI, NAFTA, UNASUR, Caricom, and the Antarctic Treaty, among others). It is spoken as a first and second language more than 450 million and more than 500 million people if you count those who have learned as a foreign language can be the third most spoken language by total speakers. On the other hand, Spanish is the second most studied language in the world after English, with more than 20 million students, while other sources state that exceed the 46 million students in 90 countries, and the third language most used on the Internet (7.8% of total).

Choose the Spanish language, the second most spoken language in the world. Obviously nothing is forever and the U.S. Empire someday will end, that is so, I do not know how or in what form, but these things happen. Spanish is in emerging countries and of course the world will not speak Mandarin to be understood, however, Spanish is a language familiar to speakers of languages ​​of Latin origin, and easy to learn for the Germanic peoples who, like the Arabs they're good with languages. The Frenchman had its golden age, but now has lost many integers must be exhausting to speak that language and is like being in a black and white film of Edith Piaf. I think that Spanish is the future, and may have been installed in Europe if we had had more luck, The Netherlands, The Navy Imbencible, is the destination, and end up happening.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-CTS9320
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

Ethnic group
    Greek

English, since it's the easiest to learn

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

That's right, plus it's already widely spread, most popular, and lingua franca in science, business, finance, songs, movies. It is spreading naturally by a need of communication in Global Village, without one organization controlling it and spending billions of taxpayers money. It is amazing how beautiful it works without even encouraging it, because it is needed.
    Now, why would someone want to construct artificial language, devoid of cultural contexts and need for it, argue with different governments for decades to implement it, then spend billions of dollars to teach it around the world, to finally after 100 years be in position where english is right now?
    This is nuts!

By all means, don't take my word for it. Look at esperanto,...it is dead, and it was always dead with no hops. It is only learned by people with great memory and a lot of time on their hands. Please, give me a brake!

After Prime Minister David Cameron's antics I don't see a mad continental rush to have English as the official EU language.

i'd like it to be the language of the vinca :P or the proto indo european maybe

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b

Ethnic group
    Spanish (from Spain of course, not Mexican and such)

English is fine.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b

Ethnic group
    Spanish (from Spain of course, not Mexican and such)

Quote Originally Posted by PaschalisB View Post
    English, since it's the easiest to learn

It is for Germanic speakers, but not for Romance speakers. It could be worse if German was the lingua franca I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Starship View Post
    Ok I take your point on the practicalities of one language for doing business, tower of Babel and all. But if you take the long view (and hope) this EU project is in for the long haul then I believe such practicalities will sort themselves out, maybe it will be English as a successful international language, maybe German as the economic power house of Europe but in the short term we should encourage multilingualism in our citizens.

I think Britain and Ireland have perhaps the worst track record in bringing up our kids with more than one language. In Ireland the most successful people speak Irish and English and learning a second language at an early age makes learning a third or fourth a lot easier.

http://[URL="http://www.csmonitor.com/world/europe/2010/0126/is-once-maligned-irish-language"]www.csmonitor.com/world/europe/2010/0126/is-once-maligned-irish-language[/URL]

Water will always find its own course and I think the language for doing business will in the end be decided by business men/women. But for the Union to continue forward I think it is essential we bring as many of the people with us as we go and if that means spending money on minority languages then so be it, its good for democracy and its good for the Union.
    I agree with you Starship, Britain and Ireland do not do enough to teach languages. When I was at school we had the choice to take French language (no other was offered..just French) but it was only at the expense of dropping another subject. I chose French and had to opt out of science to do so. Big mistake I now find as languages I can teach myself at home..science not so much so!!

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2a1b* (M-67)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1a1

Ethnic group
    Italian, Polish

1 members found this post helpful.
    English. It is a "business" language used world-wide. On a side note, I would have to say, Mandarin could soon replace it. There is a "joke" here in the States, that Americans should learn the language since we are "owned" by the Chinese (but that's another story)! <grin>.

Ethnic group
    Italian

English, even if Spanish is a little easier to learn for us Italians
    I also like Esperanto, though.

Regular Member Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic

English is best as a common language for Europe.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christos View Post
    English. It is a "business" language used world-wide. On a side note, I would have to say, Mandarin could soon replace it. There is a "joke" here in the States, that Americans should learn the language since we are "owned" by the Chinese (but that's another story)! <grin>.
    English, as of this moment, might have enough momentum (inertia) to become the only dominant world language. It is a natural trend, that whole world, the global village needs a language to communicate more than ever. Plus, it is one of easiest languages in the world, with teaching infrastructure in place in all countries with few millions of english teachers.
    Chinese learn english now and use it doing business around the world.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Chinese introduce english as an official language for the whole China. They have 20 languages with hundreds of dialects. I'm not expert on China, but I suspect that Mandarin might be really hated language, as language of occupiers. English might be the neutral alternative.

It makes no sense to switch english to another language at this point.

Ethnic group
    Native European

You could have put at least one slavic language.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan View Post
    You could have put at least one slavic language.
    But which Slavic?

Russian is Eurasian, other languages are less widespread, maybe only Polish.

I vote for German, although I'm not yet started to learn, I think the impact of German language will grow in the coming years.

Banned

None official needed, many Finns are stubborn like that, good to keep the tradition alive.
    Mieleni minun tekevi,
    aivoni ajattelevi
    lähteäni laulamahan,
    saa'ani sanelemahan,
    sukuvirttä suoltamahan,
    lajivirttä laulamahan.
    Sanat suussani sulavat,
    puhe'et putoelevat,
    kielelleni kerkiävät,
    hampahilleni hajoovat.

English (if we want it by choice), and the quicker, the better. Otherways, it will be imposed not by the americans (as one might think) but by the Chinese. They are learning English like mad out there, and with their versatility it will not be long until they will own world's economy. And if Europe can't compete with them it will be China's small time partner (like Africa).

Momentarily, Europe's luck is that the Chinese themselves don't give a sh*t about their own culture, and try their ass off to copy the western culture so that we are prevented from being forced to learn Chinese. But, otherways, English with Chinese accent will be upon us.

That being said, I would have liked it to be French. Yeap, French is „le most beautiful language in the world”. Europe can still impose its' own language, other than English, if it comes together and impose itself as a driving force and economic power. It could have been German, if the world wars didn't happen.

Regular Member TrickleDownEffect's Avatar

Ethnic group
    Italic

Latin....Nil est dictu facilius

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast