European Common Language - The Poll

What is your choice for a single European language?

• English (top 10 world languages)

Votes: 32 47.8%
  • Spanish (top 10 world languages)

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Portuguese (top 10 world languages)

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Latin

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Esperanto

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • German

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • French

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A new hybrid

Votes: 14 20.9%

• Total voters
English. It is a "business" language used world-wide. On a side note, I would have to say, Mandarin could soon replace it. There is a "joke" here in the States, that Americans should learn the language since we are "owned" by the Chinese (but that's another story)! <grin>.

English, even if Spanish is a little easier to learn for us Italians :48:
I also like Esperanto, though.

English is best as a common language for Europe.

English. It is a "business" language used world-wide. On a side note, I would have to say, Mandarin could soon replace it. There is a "joke" here in the States, that Americans should learn the language since we are "owned" by the Chinese (but that's another story)! <grin>.
English, as of this moment, might have enough momentum (inertia) to become the only dominant world language. It is a natural trend, that whole world, the global village needs a language to communicate more than ever. Plus, it is one of easiest languages in the world, with teaching infrastructure in place in all countries with few millions of english teachers.
Chinese learn english now and use it doing business around the world.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Chinese introduce english as an official language for the whole China. They have 20 languages with hundreds of dialects. I'm not expert on China, but I suspect that Mandarin might be really hated language, as language of occupiers. English might be the neutral alternative.

It makes no sense to switch english to another language at this point.

You could have put at least one slavic language.

You could have put at least one slavic language.

But which Slavic?

Russian is Eurasian, other languages are less widespread, maybe only Polish.

I vote for German, although I'm not yet started to learn, I think the impact of German language will grow in the coming years.

None official needed, many Finns are stubborn like that, good to keep the tradition alive. :wary2:
Mieleni minun tekevi,
aivoni ajattelevi
lähteäni laulamahan,
saa'ani sanelemahan,
sukuvirttä suoltamahan,
lajivirttä laulamahan.
Sanat suussani sulavat,
puhe'et putoelevat,
kielelleni kerkiävät,
hampahilleni hajoovat.

English (if we want it by choice), and the quicker, the better. Otherways, it will be imposed not by the americans (as one might think) but by the Chinese. They are learning English like mad out there, and with their versatility it will not be long until they will own world's economy. And if Europe can't compete with them it will be China's small time partner (like Africa).

Momentarily, Europe's luck is that the Chinese themselves don't give a sh*t about their own culture, and try their ass off to copy the western culture so that we are prevented from being forced to learn Chinese. But, otherways, English with Chinese accent will be upon us.

That being said, I would have liked it to be French. Yeap, French is „le most beautiful language in the world”. Europe can still impose its' own language, other than English, if it comes together and impose itself as a driving force and economic power. It could have been German, if the world wars didn't happen.

English and not just because I am. It is the international language of the air and shipping. It is the primary language for trade and it is the primary language used on the internet. Look on the opening page on wikipedia:
English 3 200 000+ articles. The nearest is german with just over a million, french doesn't even reach a million.
In Europe German is the most spoken mother tongue, but english is the most widely spoken within Europe. German even has more speakers within Europe than french.

Latin is a dead language. Esperanto can probably muster 2 000 000 speakers worldwide, so it is a waste of time. The EU population stands at about 500 000 000 people, 51% of which can speak english either as a native or as a secondary language. Even if all the esperanto users lived in the EU that would make the speakers not even 0.5%.
A list of the most spoken:
http://www.krysstal.com/spoken.html

In addition, English as a standard language helps maintain strong ties and communication with much of the world, especially North America, the Caribbean, and Oceania where English is the primary language of a large number of people and is understood by many more.

In addition, English as a standard language helps maintain strong ties and communication with much of the world, especially North America, the Caribbean, and Oceania where English is the primary language of a large number of people and is understood by many more.

English from England and not the Americanised version/slang or whatever its called. This is my choice for your Poll.
regards

I vote for koine language

I vote for koine language

Europe should adopt English and Spanish as official languages. Both languages are the most used in the world. English can be used for Germanic countries and Spanish for southern and eastern Europe. I talked to many Greeks in Florida and they liked Spanish. They said it has a similar tone as Greek and its easy to learn. I also talked to many Slavic people and they liked Spanish over English as it was easier to pronounce and learn.

It doesnt matter which language, it can be even zulu if we would have one. But I dont think that english or expecially spanish it is good idea. Better, if it would be some kind of small or dead language, what is most important, that should be most advanced language who has good developed grammar, and pretty good developed words (not only vocabulary). I don't know how spanish, but english is not the best choice. This language is maybe good for communication with the slaves on plantation, but it is not good choice for common high language, or some kind of "para-national" language for Europe. The best choices could be latin, lithuanian, polish or at least german. Latin and lithuanian are nice, because they don't privilaged any big group of people or any national interests, and they luckyly have many characteristics of original PIE language. The most important thing is, that they have very well developed flexion so, it is easy to say exactly, what someone wants to say. English is the worst language, because in basical level for foreigner the simple senteces have no sense, totaly. Short words are problem too, as well as lacking of difference between verbs and nouns, and to many homonims and idioms. Crazy pronunciation, where even natives sometimes can't read is next thing. Every one, who speaks on fusional (or even semi-fusional) language can say the same.

It doesnt matter which language, . . . But I dont think that english or expecially spanish it is good idea. Better, if it would be some kind of small or dead language . . . I don't know how spanish, but english is not the best choice. This language is maybe good for communication with the slaves on plantation, but it is not good choice for common high language, or some kind of "para-national" language for Europe. The best choices could be latin, lithuanian, polish or at least german.

You honestly believe that Europeans will be willing to adopt Polish or Lithuanian as a European national language??? Ok Latin makes sense, but do you expect the Americans, Chinese, and Japanese to learn it? I even doubt the Germanic countries would adopt it. What about Africans and South Asians??? If you want to do business you need a practical language and English or Spanish or both are best choices.

The most important thing is, that they have very well developed flexion so, it is easy to say exactly, what someone wants to say. English is the worst language, because in basical level for foreigner the simple senteces have no sense, totaly. Short words are problem too, as well as lacking of difference between verbs and nouns, and to many homonims and idioms. Crazy pronunciation, where even natives sometimes can't read is next thing. Every one, who speaks on fusional (or even semi-fusional) language can say the same.

English is difficult because it has two-three tones? and I admit the pronunciatin is chaotic. But if you learn English properly you will overcome those difficulties. People who do not learn English properly will always have problems with it. Spanish on the other hand has one tone and its pronunciation is very simple (like Japanese). I sincerely doubt even the Slavic countries will adopt Polish or Lithuanian. Polish will never be adopted in Europe because it has some consonants that cause confusion and the spelling is strange (i.e., W, Y, Z, and vowels are excluded in many words and names).

You honestly believe that Europeans will be willing to adopt Polish or Lithuanian as a European national language???

It doesn't matter, when european super state would decide.

Ok Latin makes sense, but do you expect the Americans, Chinese, and Japanese to learn it?

Do they expect to learn chinese or japanese form us?
They don;t live in Europe, so, what is a problem?
If EU would have one language (it dosnt matter which)
it is for them even better, because now they have to
learn about 25 languages, or 7-8 major toungs.
So... better for them it would be one...
smile.gif

I even doubt the Germanic countries would adopt it. What about Africans and South Asians???[./quote]

What the hell they have to do with one european language?
smile.gif

If you want to do business you need a practical language and English or Spanish or both are best choices.

I thougt we are talking about one langueage for Europe, not for whole earth...
smile.gif

Do Asians care, that avarage european dont know, or cannot learn chenese or tagalog?
smile.gif

English is difficult because it has two-three tones?

I didn't say, that he is to difficult, but, that he is to primitive...
smile.gif

Spanish on the other hand has one tone and its pronunciation is very simple (like Japanese).

But isn't good as one for whole continent, especially, if we have his original and better form - ie latin. :)

I sincerely doubt even the Slavic countries will adopt Polish or Lithuanian.

I was talking about which language is better for multi reasons use.
Truth is, that in Europe no one will adopt others language willingly. :)
As it is in USA too... every one must speak english...

Polish will never be adopted in Europe because it has some consonants that cause confusion

English doesn't have...?
smile.gif

Couple of diffrent a, e, i, o... :)
th, wh, R, r and rr...

...and it seems, that the less letters you vocalize or accuratly pronaunce, the better is your english... :)

British and neighbors are the best in that!

and the spelling is strange

Spelling? We have only problem with 3-4 letters... in english every letter is a problem...

For example:
Why are you simple word "but" pronauncing bat or bot? It has no sense...
Why simple latin words like pronunciation is pronounces: pronawsii-eyshn? :LOL:

This is the reason, whyenglish speakers are horrible in almost every foreign language... :)
Majority of english natives have big dificculties with reading as it is written... even in latin or deustch, which are some kind of "sister-languages"... :)

(i.e., W, Y, Z, and vowels are excluded in many words and names).

I dont know, what you are talking about.

Examples:

Władyaw - name.
Warszawa - city.
Amerykański - americanish.
Zbigniew - name (like zbigniew Brzeziński)
Zbyszek - the same name in diminutive.

so you have W, Y, Z and vowels... :)

Writing is very easy.

In internet exist simples, where you can for example,
wrote every single word with unorderd letters (exept
first and last) and you have no problems with reading
and understanding texts. In english, this is probably
impossible, because most of words are so short and
full of totaly diffrent menaing, that such of trick would
make text ununderstandable.

Btw, in fusional language you can create dozens of new word
from one basic word and get them totaly different menaning.
In polish maybe even hundrets... In english this is immposible...

Btw lacking of difference between nouns and verbs is terrible.

If english would be dead language for thousands of years,
some one who would decipher this language, would have
very impossible work - first -he will misuderstand primarly
half of text, and 2) he would be reading text in 90% wrong.

As I said - this is wonderfull language for slaves,
but not for international, political or cultural use.

Do they expect to learn chinese or japanese form us? They don;t live in Europe, so, what is a problem?

What have you been smoking??? Every nation or empire requires a common language in order to do business at home and abroad. Greek and Latin was used in ancient times to do business with foreigners from Europe, Africa, and Asia. Europeans, Americans, Latin Americans, Indians, Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese are certainly not going to learn Polish or Lithuanian or Latin!!! They already know English and even German and Spanish! So why would they change language or how are you going to do business with them???

Last edited:
I didn't say, that he is to difficult, but, that he is to primitive...
smile.gif

First of all my friend you need to be careful about saying such things that English is primitive language because it is simply ridiculous. I never heard anyone say English sounds "primitive!" Maybe Poles only think that :)

This thread has been viewed 107365 times.

Back