The British attitude towards Europe?

Do you want Britain out of the EU?

• Yes, go be American's lap dog!

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • No, we like you tea drinking freaks!

Votes: 18 69.2%

• Total voters
We'd all do better conversing and discussing both our better qualities and our weakness. No one needs to be US's lap dop. We have too many as it is. Tea is fine with me, just leave it without cream. trish

People in the UK, in my opinion, as a whole are extremely indifferent towards Europe. Apart from learning about you briefly in school and visiting you for 2 weeks a year, we have absolutely no modern cultural ties with Europe. Our ties lie with the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. For one simple reason, language. No matter how hard the EU tries and no matter how many interpreters they will employ or no matter how much more they pour money into schemes like Erasmus, Britain will never feel as close to Europe as it does to the other English speaking countries. No other European country has so many speakers of its own language outside Europe (with exception of Spanish, but for some reason they don't really connect with Latin American as the UK does to the Anglosphere) so no European country can understand what its like.

Ask a British person to name a European head of state or a country's capital, the vast majority couldn't give you an answer.
Because we British have gotten so used to living in an English 'bubble', all the music we listen to is English, all the TV shows and films are all English and when we go on holiday to Europe (or anywhere for that matter) there are always people who speak English. We simply find no need to bother learning about other cultures or languages within Europe. Whereas people from Belgium for example have two important languages within their culture so they are naturally much more willing to integrate into Europe.

If going to Australia or the US were the same price as visiting Europe, where do you think the vast majority of Britons would go?

That for me is one of the two main problems for the EU, no common or predominant language (English being the closest understood by 51% of the EU population but because of old rivalries with England, this will never be adopted whole heartedly by Europe) and the fact that because of old rivalries, the countries within the EU will always try to one-up each other, fact.

Would British people on the street be able to name Australia's, NZ's or Canada's prime minister?

I don't think the majority of Brits would MM.

I also don't think that the British would be off to Australia or NZ for holidays if airfares were the same as Europe. 40hrs on a plane (there and back, longer with stop-overs) just for a couple of weeks vacation, doesn't make a lot of sense. Especially when in a couple of hours travel the British can be anywhere in Europe or North Africa.

People in the UK, in my opinion, as a whole are extremely indifferent towards Europe. Apart from learning about you briefly in school and visiting you for 2 weeks a year, we have absolutely no modern cultural ties with Europe. Our ties lie with the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. For one simple reason, language. No matter how hard the EU tries and no matter how many interpreters they will employ or no matter how much more they pour money into schemes like Erasmus, Britain will never feel as close to Europe as it does to the other English speaking countries. No other European country has so many speakers of its own language outside Europe (with exception of Spanish, but for some reason they don't really connect with Latin American as the UK does to the Anglosphere) so no European country can understand what its like.

Ask a British person to name a European head of state or a country's capital, the vast majority couldn't give you an answer.
Because we British have gotten so used to living in an English 'bubble', all the music we listen to is English, all the TV shows and films are all English and when we go on holiday to Europe (or anywhere for that matter) there are always people who speak English. We simply find no need to bother learning about other cultures or languages within Europe. Whereas people from Belgium for example have two important languages within their culture so they are naturally much more willing to integrate into Europe.

If going to Australia or the US were the same price as visiting Europe, where do you think the vast majority of Britons would go?

That for me is one of the two main problems for the EU, no common or predominant language (English being the closest understood by 51% of the EU population but because of old rivalries with England, this will never be adopted whole heartedly by Europe) and the fact that because of old rivalries, the countries within the EU will always try to one-up each other, fact.

Sorry, but I personally find more differences between an American and an Englishman than between an Englishman and a European (ie, one Dutch). There is a problem, you can not identify yourself with the average American: its religiosity, its multiracial society, its tax system, it's political system, health, etc.., are basically very different.
For instance, the average Brittish woman probably feel more identified with Marion Cotillard than with Jennifer Lopez. Another example, I doubt that an Englishman feel closer to home in Miami, Las Vegas, LA, than in Amsterdam or Paris. America is a very complex country. It has little to do with England.

Of course, Australia and NZ are basically the same than UK.

I think the key in the globalized world will be the scientific talent, and at this point, England weakens a bit. Of Course UK is not comparable to the U.S. or Japan, but not even to France or Germany. In fact in this crisis UK is having by far more problems than France or Germany. I think this trend will increase in the future, as the wealth of England, mainly London (international financial center) is not sustainable in the long term, as Asian markets will become more important. Therefore, I do not think the UK will be a key player in the future Europe.
In addition, the poll is an absurd, UK can not be integrated in the USA. UK has only two possible paths: isolation or integration in Europe.
I guess if the European Union fail the English would no longer have to choose between the two options, so it's ok for them a European failure.

Generally you are right Ferreiro, but I wouldn't sell GB short yet. For last one thousand years they had proved again and again how resilient they can be. I don't think they will go down that quickly. Nations constantly have to reinvent themselves, find their own ways. Times are not standing still, world is in constant flux, and faster and faster these days. So far Britten proved us that they can adopt and reinvent.

It has just occurred to me that one could have been successful hunter gatherer for a million years in the past. One didn't need to learn new skills, or invent anything for thousands of years, and was still successful as before.
Times have changed very drastically, and are changing faster and faster. We have to change more, learn more, invent more. We are now experiencing dramatic shifts during single person life. I have a feeling that it started to go to fast, started to be somewhat crazy and possibly too quick changes might become more destructive and productive. One day we will reach a limit of human changeability, adaptability, and we'll ... people will overheat and explode. lol

Last edited:
it is more interesting to talk about the british actitude in america... and specially the FALKLAND ISLANDS (actually MALVINA ISLANDS)... we do not tolerate more european colonialism in america, we do not want more arrogant actitudes from european... we are not inferior to manage our lands... UK has to leave the islands and give them to their owners: native argentinians.

it is more interesting to talk about the british actitude in america... and specially the FALKLAND ISLANDS (actually MALVINA ISLANDS)... we do not tolerate more european colonialism in america, we do not want more arrogant actitudes from european... we are not inferior to manage our lands... UK has to leave the islands and give them to their owners: native argentinians.

I agree in that the Malvinas are British, they could defend them. A wonderful country is the United States of America, the South American countries should learn much of the United States, I believe that they have done big efforts in overcoming situations that sudamerica it will never overcome, do not know, perhaps the Spanish we must have used the English system of colonization, seeing the results I believe that it would have been the best thing.

I agree in that the Malvinas are British, they could defend them. A wonderful country is the United States of America, the South American countries should learn much of the United States, I believe that they have done big efforts in overcoming situations that sudamerica it will never overcome, do not know, perhaps the Spanish we must have used the English system of colonization, seeing the results I believe that it would have been the best thing.

Do not despise the South Americans, carlitos. Do not despise others, and you will not be despised. Thanks to the South American, Spanish language is an important language in the world, if not for them, the Spanish language would be a language like Polish, Romanian, without importance worldwide.
My uncle had to emigrate to Argentina in the 60s because in Spain he couldn't feed his family. Who knows if we ever have to migrate to South America?
With that mentality so arrogant some Spanish (not all are like that) are not going anywhere. You are throwing stones on your own roof.

Do not despise the South Americans, carlitos. Do not despise others, and you will not be despised. Thanks to the South American, Spanish language is an important language in the world, if not for them, the Spanish language would be a language like Polish, Romanian, without importance worldwide.
My uncle had to emigrate to Argentina in the 60s because in Spain he couldn't feed his family. Who knows if we ever have to migrate to South America?
With that mentality so arrogant some Spanish (not all are like that) are not going anywhere. You are throwing stones on your own roof.

From what country of sudamerica are you?

Spaniards are ALREADY migrating to South America. To Argentina, can you believe it? Even Argentina (which is almost broke) has more future than Spain.

Sorry, but I personally find more differences between an American and an Englishman than between an Englishman and a European (ie, one Dutch). There is a problem, you can not identify yourself with the average American: its religiosity, its multiracial society, its tax system, it's political system, health, etc.., are basically very different.
For instance, the average Brittish woman probably feel more identified with Marion Cotillard than with Jennifer Lopez. Another example, I doubt that an Englishman feel closer to home in Miami, Las Vegas, LA, than in Amsterdam or Paris. America is a very complex country. It has little to do with England.

Of course, Australia and NZ are basically the same than UK.

Agree my friend, it's the same between latamamericans, spaniards and other europeans.

Most of people don't realize how complex and culturally rich is latam.

What on earth does Latin America have to do with EU attitudes toward Britain?

What on earth does Latin America have to do with EU attitudes toward Britain?

Don't bother with Canek, he's just a terribly frustrated LatAm T-R-O-L-L.

You've all become a bother, and are just as bad as eachother. The constant disruption of any topic with this BS is extremely annoying.

I agree with wellington!
Get the brits out of here and Maciamo please remove the EU flag from Wellington's post it is offensive to me too.
I like the Brits (I lived there for one year and i loved it) but if they dont want to be part of my family, if they spit in the hand I extend in peace, my family does not need them the least bit.

We continental Europeans along with the holy and proud people of Ireland who evangilized our great continent will recreate the empire of Charlemagne!!!!

A moi Montjoie et Saint-Denis sus a la Perfide Albion!!!!!

I agree with wellington!
Get the brits out of here and Maciamo please remove the EU flag from Wellington's post it is offensive to me too.
I like the Brits (I lived there for one year and i loved it) but if they dont want to be part of my family, if they spit in the hand I extend in peace, my family does not need them the least bit.

We continental Europeans along with the holy and proud people of Ireland who evangilized our great continent will recreate the empire of Charlemagne!!!!

A moi Montjoie et Saint-Denis sus a la Perfide Albion!!!!!

I fear that it is not the Empire of Charlemagne that is on Europe's horizon but something rather more African and Muslim.

We continental Europeans along with the holy and proud people of Ireland who evangilized our great continent will recreate the empire of Charlemagne!!!!!

We continental Europeans? Drop the plural and speak for yourself please. Thankfully one person's opinion is not representative of all of Europe!

Personally I think the EU, like the UN, are big failures. There are too many countries in Europe that have agendas that are incompatible with other countries. I believe The UK should break away from the EU.

This thread has been viewed 108174 times.

Back