J1 in Northern France

J1 is a cool lineage associated with the spread of Semitic languages and peoples, at least its P58 subclade.

The second major subclade is Z1842, in Caucasus and Anatolia, found recently in Bronze Age Anatolia in a city that theoretically by that time should have had Anatolian IE speakers, I wonder if the subclade is ultimately Indo-European.

Most cases of J1 in non-Mediterranean Europe is a consequence of the Roman Empire's settling its veterans in its provinces, many came from the Balkans, but also Syria, Anatolia, North Africa etc..

I think J1 predates the spread of Semitic languages and peoples. P58's TMRCA is 9,000 years old, the clade itself is 14,300 years old.

J1-m267-haplogroup-subclades-tree-v2.png

I think J1 predates the spread of Semitic languages and peoples. P58's TMRCA is 9,000 years old, the clade itself is 14,300 years old.
J1-m267-haplogroup-subclades-tree-v2.png

Right, but most subclades of P58 are downstream of Z2331, tmrca is 5800 ybp, which may be the date for proto-Semitic, Bayesian phylogenetic analysis of Semitic languages identifies an Early Bronze Age origin of Semitic in the Near East.

The Iran Chalcolithic/Caucasus ancestry in Bronze age Levant might have been a result of Semitic people migrating from the north east, this blogger I think got it right on the Semitic homeland.

Mathildas Anthropology Blog: Proto Semitic; dating and locating it.

Right, but most subclades of P58 are downstream of Z2331, tmrca is 5800 ybp, which may be the date for proto-Semitic, Bayesian phylogenetic analysis of Semitic languages identifies an Early Bronze Age origin of Semitic in the Near East.

The Iran Chalcolithic/Caucasus ancestry in Bronze age Levant might have been a result of Semitic people migrating from the north east, this blogger I think got it right on the Semitic homeland.

Mathildas Anthropology Blog: Proto Semitic; dating and locating it.

She was right about a lot of things. I wish she still blogged.

I took it as a compliment that people on 23andme (when it had good discussions) thought I was her...they also thought I was married to Dienekes! Sometimes I wonder about the mental stability of the people who are interested in population genetics. :)

Last edited:
On YFull the dates (age estimation) could be a bit underestimated, the Z2331's TMRCA could be older than 5800 ybp.
If there are enough people their calculation makes sense for many subclades, true it could older, but by how much ? it could also be younger, its an average if I understand it correctly.

I like to mention the age estimation as a range, for this subclade its 6600 <---> 5100 ybp.

This thread has been viewed 24749 times.

Back